PDA

View Full Version : THRIFT SHOP shopping

ConeyIsBabe
03-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Call me "Secondhand Rose" cuz the name fits! I LOVE thrift shops, consignment shops, vintage clothing, ETC. It's not just the saving of $$$ but the thrill of the hunt ;D There was previous mention of some great used furniture store so I think it would be helpful to compile a list of all the wonderful Thrift Shops within a short drive to TV; including the seasonal Flea Markets !

I'm already convinced that TV is the best place to retire, this would be the icing on the cake..... Thrift Shopping :bigthumbsup:

Sailor17
03-23-2008, 05:17 PM
:agree:

As a, "Newbee", I would love to see a list of all the bargain shops. That is a great idea.

Thanks

jerseygirl008
03-23-2008, 06:48 PM
I "third" that motion. CIB, you start some great threads. I would love to get my hands on a list like that mentioned. Please help, somebody !!!!

chelsea24
03-23-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm rather new here myself, but we've been to Bargains and Treasures, right in the Villages and they have really great furniture. Also, the Markets of Marion, flea markets, hugh, everything you can think of! I can live there! LOL Hope to find somemore myself. ;D

nONIE
03-23-2008, 08:41 PM
CIB,

I am constantly running to flea mkts and thrift shops. Dont Forget Ayers in the Little Joeys plaza on 441 and another huge flea market in Mt Dora called Renningers. You will have a ball here with all the consignment and thrift shops in this area. I know I can think of a few more if I try hard ,so write me when you are ready. I will be glad to run around with you,I LOVE IT!

KathieI
03-23-2008, 08:56 PM
CIB, that's a great name. When I lived in Manhattan, I used to shop "Second Hand Rose" on 2nd Ave, all the time. I found a little dropleaf table for $5.00. Do you believe I still have it!!! And that had to be 1965 when I bought it and that's all I could afford at the time.

Count me in, cause I'm a sucker for bargin shops. I also talked to Nonie once about having "car pooling" to other places in Florida, but not too far from TV, where they have a lot of thrift stores. My brother lives in Bradenton and everytime I go there, I find a ton of great things. My sister in law and I are fanatic about shopping in these places. This isn't junkie stuff but old and in good condition, type of things that old people have kept in their houses and when they pass, the family gives it to these places to get rid of for them. I once found a beautiful antique torchiere lamp and still have it.

We'll plan these excursions when we all get to TV, Okay?

ConeyIsBabe
03-23-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm so excited to have found others with my "passion" for Thrift-Shopping.

Car-pooling would be a great idea to go to a different area each week, visit all the thrift-shops in that neighborhood, have lunch there, and return with our TREASURES; maybe even form a "club".

What would be a cute name for the club ???

P.S. Kathie....... "SecondHand Rose" is from a song...... I forgot if it was in a Broadway Show or a movie, but it's a famous song...... "SecondHand Rose, from Second Avenue".... I'm thinking Barbara Streisand sang it, but I'm not sure.

nONIE
03-24-2008, 12:27 AM
CIB,

Didnt Bet Midler sing it too?

Love your idea for a Flea Market club. Im thinking on a cute name, let me know if you come up with one. ;)

ConeyIsBabe
03-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Nonie....... you made me think to Google the lyrics and voila.........

Father has a business strictly second hand
Everything from toothpicks to a baby-grand
Stuff in our apartment came from fathers store
Even things Im wearing someone wore before
Its no wonder that I feel abused
I never get a thing that aint been used

Im wearing second hand hats
Second hand clothes
Thats why they call me
Second hand rose

Even our piano in the parlor
Father bought for ten cents on the dollar
Second hand pearls
Im sick of second hand curls
I never get a single think thats new
Even jake, the plumber, hes a man I adore
Had the nerve to tell me hes been married before!

Everyone knows that Im just
Second hand rose
From second avenue!
From second avenue! nu!

One more time!
Second hand rose
(from second avenue!)
From what?
Lets see if you know the fills!
Once while strooling
Through the ritz a girl got my goat...
(she nudged her friend
And said oh look there goes
My old fur coat)
You dont need me!

Second hand rose
From second avenue!
(ya cant beat the egg-creams!)
Good! second avenue!
(there is more between me
And fifth avenue, I tell ya)
Right! second avenue!

Hyacinth Bucket
03-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Somewhere on this site is a list of quite a few shops. We went to some, some we bought from and others no.

We love thrift shops and enjoy looking at what others bought - a perpetual treasure hunt. We also go yard sailing - another treasure hunting area. That one is more fun if we are looking for items for others - that way it increases our chances of being successful.

Renningers I always thought of for antiques - many dealers set up there and antique dealers come to buy.

We were shocked the first time we went yard sailing here in TV by the number of cars and golf carts that descend on one sale.

So definitely count us in.

Name of group - Treasure Hunters Anonymous.

HB

nONIE
03-24-2008, 01:25 AM
HB,

Thats a perfect name for our shopping club. After all, it is another addiction isnt it?

Please hold onto that thought because ill forget it in 5 minutes. (Absolutely no memory left) Great name HB!

ConeyIsBabe
03-24-2008, 03:34 PM
HB........ I like that name, also! Now we need to work on the list ;D

jerseygirl008
03-25-2008, 05:04 AM
Please count me in also. Love the name. Great choice HB.

KathieI
03-25-2008, 10:57 AM
We need to make sure one of us has a car large enough to hold such a large group. We should have scheduled meetings (can be lunch, of course) to discuss the list and dates for the excursions.

"Name of group - Treasure Hunters Anonymous." quote from HB

HB, I would expect nothing different from Hyacinth than a name like this - oh, so conservative!! However, I was thinking of something a little bit more "catchy", something that works with a great girlie acronym, like WACS, or BB's (Bargain Babes), what do you all think and when do we start this? Guess we need to wait until we are all in TV. Let's not drag our feet ladies, "times awasting" and those bargains aren't going to be around forever!!!

Let me know what you think about some good acronyms. Thanks, Kathie (probably the driver)

J Herman
03-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Another great bargain stop is Webster Flea Market each Monday in Webster, FL. Maybe 25 miles from TV.

Cajungirl
03-25-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm in!! Let me know. New to TV but not new to bargain, treasure hunting. Love it, love it, love it!!!!

islandgal
03-25-2008, 01:32 PM
One of my favorite "things to do". Please let me know. Some time ago, there was an article in the
Sun about one village ladies group going on consignment and thrift shopping trips regularly.

nONIE
03-25-2008, 02:07 PM
This is really taking off! We will need to rent a 12 passenger van!
Yes kath, you can be our designated driver since you know "the lay of the land " so well.

Now can someone tell me where I can store all the "junk" I bring home???LOL :dontknow:

JHerman,

Yes the Webster flea market is enormous, definitely an all day event. You can find anything there from Live birds to antiques. Its all in Webster!

ConeyIsBabe
03-25-2008, 02:35 PM
As the newbie "new kid on the block" I'll sit back and let y'all residents and already established TVers take over and plan this exciting new CLUB (whatever it's called) :#1: Of course, whatever mode of transportation is decided ....... rent a van.... someone's huge SUV..... we should all share in the gas & costs !

Now, to work on THE LIST ;D

Time for Tee
03-25-2008, 02:58 PM
:hot: :hot: :2excited: Count me in! I have been a Antique Dealer for 24 years so my weekends in Illinois are Garage sales every weekend. Filled up the house so had to become a Dealer to support this hobby. Have been in several Antique Malls over the years and had my own shop for ten years. Now I look here at the garage sales (Fri. and Sat.) and they are very crowded in the Spring. Much better in the Fall. Funny, but things do not change. I thought they would have them every day with the great weather but most are still Spring and Fall. I sell on Ebay and also supply my shops. Have found many great things.Consignment shops take 50% and also the Ebay store so people tend to try to sell from their home first---fun because you can buy things from all over the U.S. and Europe since so many people have moved here from everywhere and brought too much. 040 040
There is now a course at the School of Learning called "Shoestring Shopping" and will be every other month. Visits shops in Wildwood and Leesburg with lunch out. We carpooled. I do not feel that I can tell all of the places as that would hurt the class--just look in the phone book for thrift or consignment shops and go to Google maps. There was one that had very nice furniture and very clean and organized --Habitat for Humanity in Leesburg. Nice things. A great consignment store in Ocula is called The Carriage Trade with 23,000 sq.ft. Closed on Sunday! Look in Ocala phone book. Worth you visit. This was not in the class. I have not been to the others yet as have not had time -- but plan on it before I leave in May.
Hope this helps all of the people needing to supply a new home or add to their collection.

KathieI
03-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Sounds like we'll need to rent a bus!! Maybe Handie will drive for us!!?? Ya think? He'd love to have a "bus load of 'broads' instead of kids".. :super:

T4T, I forgot about your hobby. You'll be our resident expert. Love to have you along.

Love the name "Shoestring Shoppers" , sounds catchy, ya think? This will be much more fun than my sitting at my computer all day shopping on EBay... I agree, I think there's a lot more stores to explore than we realize.

Nonie's right, what are we gonna do with all this stuff?

This is progressing nicely let's keep working on it. Kath

Hyacinth Bucket
03-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Kathie, I feel so sad. I really thought you knew the real Hyacinth.

Hyacinth was thinking along the lines of a Cadillac or Lincoln stretch mobile with Handie driving it wearing a tuxedo.

I will just have to bring my videos down of my show so that you can get a better idea of who I am. I know it is hard if you haven't seen the show.

If I was to use my real name, which you know, then I would go for a beaten up old wreck with a souped up motor (to get to all sales fast) with the most advanced gps system in it. That way when we say the price is to high and they look at our vehicle, they may take pity on us and lower the price or just give us the four (4) carat diamond ring, rose cut, set in platinum. ;)

For those who do not get into our vehicle, we will have special van seating on the roof with seat belts of course for safety reasons. You will be our scouts in case we miss something, and for all others you will be strapped to the back of the car to make sure we do not miss any sale signs going up as we drive.

Handie can follow in the U-Haul It, :cop:, needs to wear this uniform so that he can stop all traffic going to the same sales. Therefore less competition for all the things we definitely do not need. We need the u haul -have a place to put all our "treasures" in.

So to all my Sistah's who are junque collectors like myself -we will have a blast 040 040 :hot: :2excited: :hot: :2excited:

This is going to be so much fun - now all we have to do is decide what time we shall leave.

Our motto could be CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! crap crap crap crap

ConeyIsBabe
03-25-2008, 04:15 PM
What to do with all the stuff we buy, you ask ????????????????????

Why, HAVE OUR OWN CLUB YARD SALE, of course ! ::)

It's all about the thrill of finding something we love, for cheap ! Every couple of months I have to "purge" my stuff cuz I tend to collect too much clothing ........ can't help it ....... such great treasures that I must adopt. In my little country town, there is a "boutique Goodwill" where EVERY ITEM OF CLOTHING is $1.50 no matter what it is.... and I'm talking Designer Labels. Then there is the Community Thrift Shop, where every item of clothing is $1.00 no matter what it is...... also some designer types, silk jackets, etc. I have already collected my Florida wardrobe!

But now that I'm downsizing in preparation for putting my home on the market, I'm too lazy to have a yard sale and am just donating everything back to where I got it.

KathieI
03-25-2008, 09:15 PM
bump

handieman
03-25-2008, 10:00 PM
OK here's DA deal
We'll pool our money and buy a used school bus[center]. Take out the rear half of seats for "stuff" Then every Fri and Sat AM hit the road for bargains. I'll drive and serve beverages from our on board wet bar. We will do lunch at some neet place, then head for our private warehouse to price and display our treasures for sale
Such a deal
Handie :joke:

Hyacinth Bucket
03-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Handie, I will personally accept your offer for all the Sistahs. Wonder what they will think when they read what I just wrote. But this is such a fantastic offer that I do not want us Sistahs to loose it.

On 27/441 there happens to be a place that sells old buses. We can all go and find what we like and then of course negotiate on the price - or is that haggle?

Selling - easy - we will go into competition with Bargains and Treasures.

Another thought to make our new enterprise more lucrative, we can accept peoples wish list and then charge them for looking for the item(s), buying the item(s) and delivery charges.

Just my thoughts, and yes I am letting my imagination get carried away.

Handie thank you for making us such a wonderful offer.

HB

redwitch
03-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Not sure I can wait til this is organized. Poor Jess is moving at the end of the week -- they told her she'd been approved for the apartment. She has nada. Little does she know she's going to be up bright and early to hit Bridgeport on Friday morning. Wish us luck!!!

In the meantime, can't wait for this to get organized.

islandgal
03-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Red -

I am not in the know. What do you mean? :'(

KathieI
03-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Poor Jess is moving at the end of the week -- She has nada.

Red, hate to tell you but that's how I moved out of my mothers house, with NADA!! So everything I have, I am grateful for. Its tough love, but it works.

Take out the rear half of seats for "stuff"

Stuff?? I thought we'd put a hot tub in the rear of the bus? Handie, you gettin old? Otherwise, I love the deal you've put forth. You're on!!

Kathie :redface:

villagera1
03-26-2008, 12:26 AM
Count me in! I love the thrift shop love the car pool what fun!

chelsea24
03-27-2008, 03:46 AM
Actually Handi, all things considered, that's not a bad idea. Did I just say that to Handi? :o

handieman
03-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Actually Handi, all things considered, that's not a bad idea. Did I just say that to Handi? :o

Which idea? The hottub in the rear or the shopping bus??
BTW I will have a pickup truck this summer in TV. I'll remember to bring down the tie down straps
Handie :joke:

ConeyIsBabe
03-27-2008, 04:56 PM
:agree: Whatever y'all decide is OK with me. I'm hoping this Thrift Shopping Club will be well-organized by the time I become a TV resident ...... yup, yup, yup !

pqrstar
03-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Was at the Habitat for Humanity thrift shop in Leesburg on Monday. It is directly across the street from a cemetery.

Nested in the top of the pine trees there are a pair of bald eagles. It was a good view from the parking lot of the thrift store.

Anyway, that was exciting to see.

:2cool:

jerseygirl008
03-29-2008, 06:14 AM
Oh Goody, this is sounding better every minute. I can't wait to get down there and join the club. You Sistah's are so clever. Thanks CIB, for starting this thread.

ConeyIsBabe
04-05-2008, 02:17 AM
You're Welcome, JerseyGirl!

ThriftShopping is one of my "passions"; I guess I really need to get a life ::)

But, when I do finally get back to Florida (hopefully TV) I'll have to start from scratch with all new (used) STUFF ! Then the serious ThriftShopping will begin.

:clap2:

uujudy
04-05-2008, 04:44 AM
Oh Boy! I can't wait to get there! All you good folks recommended that I leave everything in Utah and just buy new in Florida. If it's new to me, it's "new," no matter how old it really is. This sounds like the answer to my "how to fill up a house with furniture" dilemma!
Let's see... First I'll need a chair... ;D

Time for Tee
04-05-2008, 06:07 AM
:2cool: I took the easy way! Bought a home "Turn Key" It was used for the Lifestyle program so just like new. Another name could be Salvage Sistahs or Cheap Chicks.
I am in Calif. so only 11 P.M. here~~~~~Hate the time change here. 8)

uujudy
04-08-2008, 07:14 PM
This might be off topic, but Secondhand Rose is from one of my favorite musicals of all times -- "Gypsy." Rosalind Russell played Mama Gypsy Rose Lee in the movie. Aha! Yes, of course! Now you remember! :) :pop:

lavendera1
03-09-2009, 10:18 AM
CIB,

Didnt Bet Midler sing it too?

Love your idea for a Flea Market club. Im thinking on a cute name, let me know if you come up with one. ;)

:agree: Lets not talk about it! Lets make a flea market club We can do this.

rshoffer
03-09-2009, 11:37 AM
I rarely, if ever, buy new clothing. I always considered going to the Sal-Val like a fishing expedition... every now and then I'd reel in something nice...
I still haven't found a good thrift store like the Salvation Army stores in Pa.

chuckinca
03-09-2009, 08:12 PM
ALERT - ALERT ! ! !

My wife, the ultimate thrift shop shopper, has discovered a shop near TV that she gives her seal of approval (a first for a Florida thrift shop). Centsible Furnishings at the South end (closest to TV) of Baylee Plaza on 441 North of TV. She scored a complete full size Cuisinart for $20 and other items and left the place spending $43 and you would think she just robbed the Bank of England. I believe it is a church or charity place manned by volunteers.

katezbox
03-09-2009, 08:22 PM

Car-pooling would be a great idea to go to a different area each week, visit all the thrift-shops in that neighborhood, have lunch there, and return with our TREASURES; maybe even form a "club".

P.S. Kathie....... "SecondHand Rose" is from a song...... I forgot if it was in a Broadway Show or a movie, but it's a famous song...... "SecondHand Rose, from Second Avenue".... I'm thinking Barbara Streisand sang it, but I'm not sure.

I think it is from "Funny Girl"

chuckinca
03-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Yep - Funny Girl

From Wikipedia:

"Second Hand Rose (From Second Avenue," with lyrics by Grant Clarke and music by James F. Hanley, was written for the Ziegfeld Follies of 1921. Fanny Brice sang this song - a follow-up to her popular "Rose of Washington Square" (1920).

Barbra Streisand sang "Second Hand Rose" in the 1960s biographical musical play and movie Funny Girl.

Canwego2
03-29-2009, 07:10 PM
What a fun thread. I can't wait to join your treasure hunters group. My husband and I are hoping to close on Thursday. Then we have to wait two months before we can see our new winter home (leasing it back to owners). It will be as bare as a babys' bottom and I can hope that this group will be ready to roll by then as we will need lots of "stuff" to fill it. We will only be in TV about a week in June then will have to wait until fall to come down for our big adventure. So, can I join!?!?!?!?! Karen

ConeyIsBabe
03-29-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm so glad this old thread has been regurgitated :a040:

Since I'm still a TV-Wannabee..... it's up to y'all already there to start up the Flea Market/Yard Sale/Thrift Shop Club.

Chuckinca..... thanks for that tip. Someone should be making a list of all the good TS's in the area; if I lived there, I'd do it, but that will be one of my favorite activities when I get to TV ! In the meantime, happy hunting :highfive:

Canwego2
06-14-2009, 08:57 AM
We found a great store in Wildwood on the main street. It is at the corned of the street where the auction house is. It is run by volunteers and is a great place to shop. Very clean and well cared for. We bought an awesome Kirby vacuun for 15.00 and a Black and Decker iron for $4.00. Karen

SUNNYMARYANN
06-14-2009, 01:36 PM
sign me up I am a devout thrift shopper, rummage saler, garage and yard sale specialist. what to do with the surplus? Have a Thrift Sale and use the proceeds for charitable deeds like the one ejp is promoting. In anticipation of my move to TV and the Thrifty Ladies trips I have started a gallon jar of loose change collection. I would be glad to chip in for the gas and driver (have to provide him with bottled water and lunch) in order not to have to do the driving. This sounds like so much fun!

vitacr
06-18-2009, 08:01 PM
In these "economic times" it's great to see so much interest in bargain shopping. It is my true passion. I'm considered the "thrift store queen" and I have indoctrinated many others with this economical way of shopping over the years. I live in the Village of Piedmont.

Last April I organized a Spring Fashion Show at our church and 1/2 of the fashions came from TJ Maxx and the other 1/2 came from thrift stores - it was a huge success!

I do have a list of the stores that I recommend in Ocala, Belleview, Leesburg, Eustis & Lady Lake. I know where to find clothes for $.05, $.20 cents, and I rarely pay more than $1. Some of my recommendations have furniture and some do not. Unfortunately, TV doesn't have any local bargain stores, the closest one is run by the Villages Hospital and it's in Lady Lake.
Chuckinca had a good suggestion for local bargains on furniture - Censible Furnishings in Bailey Plaza on Rt 441/27. I volunteer there on Thursday mornings. Someone else recommended Ayers in the same plaza (they are not there anymore).

I'll share a little tip with you - wherever I travel on vacation, I get on "whitepages.com" and query "thrift stores" - Viola! I map them out before I get to my destination. Great fun.......................

I would be most happy to share my list with anyone interested. Stop in to Censible Furnishings any Thursday from 10-1pm and ask for "Vita" - or - I can email the list to anyone interested - Send me a private message & I will get it to you. If anyone needs a "guided tour" to get you started, let me know.

Originally from NJ - have been in Florida 41 years. I am a Notary Public and squeeze my shopping in between work.

JeanneBeannie
06-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Sounds like alot of fun!! I get so excited when I get a good bargain!! :pepper2: I am trying to get rid of all my things, rather than move them and give my son whatever he wants. So it will be fun starting from scratch...especially if its a bargain lol!!!
Jeanne :2excited:

diskman
06-19-2009, 03:35 PM
x

diskman
06-19-2009, 03:35 PM
We are not in the villages yet, but I love it when my wife drags me along to these kind of places. We have actually done some decorating this way.
So I hope you will rethink the club idea so when we finally make I can partake of the club or I could help Handie serve the drinks lol lol :coolsmiley::pepper2:

Halle
06-19-2009, 03:51 PM
We are not in the villages yet, but I love it when my wife drags me along to these kind of places. We have actually done some decorating this way.
So I hope you will rethink the club idea so when we finally make I can partake of the club or I could help Handie serve the drinks lol lol :coolsmiley::pepper2:

Diskman,

You can have my seat on the van.

You couldn't make me go kicking and screaming!

I don't have the shopping, clothes or cooking gene.

But I do have the Party gene.

:pepper2::pepper2::pepper2:

bargee
06-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Please visit the TVRH Thrift Shop in Lady Lake.Quality Items,Great Variety,Fantastic sales people(all TVRH voulnteers) and all yes all profits go to support our regional Hospital.:)

TrudyM
06-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Did you guys ever go to a architectural salvage store. These are not just for men or home remodelers. If you are a crafter it’s not to be missed. My favorite in my area is the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. When people remodel or when companies have overstocks they donate the stuff to Habitat for Humanity and they sell it in these ReStores. I have gotten drill bits, sandpaper, light fixtures, paint, tile, not to mention a dishwasher for $125 that was brand new. The closest to TV I found on the net was. I hope they are as good as mine here in Seattle.

PS if you are remodeling and donate your pulled out light fixtures sinks et al you get a tax deduction.

Ocala
Marion County, Inc. ReStore, HFH of 1020 Canton Rd
Ocala, FL 34476 Phone: (352) 369-3800

Ocala
Ocala HFH ReStore HFH of Marion County Inc
926 NW 27th Ave
Ocala, FL 34475 Phone: (352) 401-0075

lavendera1
06-19-2009, 05:34 PM

Great!!! Let start a club.....

ConeyIsBabe
06-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Great!!! Let start a club.....

I'm hoping that all you TVers will start a thrift shop/flea market club -- so when I ever get to TV, it will already be organized . I'd help if I were there - but all I can do now is offer encouragement :pepper2:

graciegirl
06-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Darling Coney.

It is time you were here.

Sgt Mac
06-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Can you say "Termites"
boys and girls how about the Stain that special friend left in the chair or did you think that you have seen it before next to the curb in the 50's and then is the price $$$ and it did'nt look like a Rolles Royce.
Yes go for it you Hunter Gather Remember there is something about a Aqua Velva man = He smells bad and he is cheap

Da Sgt ::oops:

chuckinca
06-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Words of wisdom much appreciated!

Thanks Da Sgt.

conn8757
06-21-2009, 04:45 AM
We went to Bargains & Treasures yesterday - it is so big - there were 3 or 4 large rooms just packed to the gills with furniture. I was looking for an armoire for our old tv we had in master bedroom - they probably had 20 I could choose from and there were some I would have liked. After considering age of my tv and the cost of the armoire, we decided to just get another flat screen since they have come down so much in price. However, I think you could go in that place and totally furnish a home very reasonably. (no appliances there). We also went to an estate sale here in Villages - again - good stuff and half price since it was the second day. I would love to join the club but I would have to buy another house since I have no room for anything left in this one. I may be putting a couch at Bargains since it didn't fit into the room I was going to put it. I had to flip rooms around.
I'm going to go to the salvage yard for Habitat for Humanity that Trudy was talking about - I need a shelved cabinet in my laundry room - I am too short to ever reach the cabinets that are mounted except the first shelf - I am also thinking I want to change my master bedroom bedspread.

dizz42
08-24-2009, 11:59 PM
Just read this thread and what a great idea...a Junque Club. We could meet and have a pot luck luncheon and show-n-tell...bring your best find and the winner gets the Junquey Award. Also, we could arrange excursions. Other groups go to shows or on outlet shopping trips. We'd go to great flea markets! I'm still a TV wannabee but count me in! :highfive:

alandc1937
08-25-2009, 05:17 AM

You've got to kiss a lot of Frogs to find a Prince!

KathieI
08-25-2009, 06:54 AM
You've got to kiss a lot of Frogs to find a Prince!

What does this thread have to do with finding a prince????? And unless your a female, (and I highly doubt that) what the heck are you doing in the feminine forum??? Go play in the golf section. We're having fun, thank you!! :swear:

Canwego2
08-25-2009, 01:11 PM
We tried to find the Habitat restore in Wildwood or Leesburg but couldn't find it. Someone there gave us directions but with road construction we gave up. If anyone knows where it is, post it here for all of us. There are two of them nearby. We don't have to go all the way to Ocala when we have two closeby. Thanks, Karen

nONIE
08-25-2009, 01:21 PM
dizz42,, I absolutely love the idea of a junque club! I have been hording and saving junque for my whole life and now have the terrible task of getting rid of it all before we move to TV. I just have one question! Where do we put all this new junque we collect????:shrug:

ConeyIsBabe
08-25-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm only guessing........ but I think Alan meant ~ ~ you have to search through a ton of JUNK before you find your TREASURE !! :a20: At least, that's the way it seems to be for me. I love looking at old junk anyway, so it doesn't matter if I find the Prince or not :a20: ((But that's why we don't go Thrift Shopping with a man ~ cuz most don't have the patience for the hunt )). :shrug:

The other day I bought a very pretty diamond tennis bracelet at Goodwill :pepper2: for only $4 ~ What a find :pepper2: (fake, of course, but I love it)

dizz42
08-25-2009, 06:25 PM
dizz42,, I absolutely love the idea of a junque club! I have been hording and saving junque for my whole life and now have the terrible task of getting rid of it all before we move to TV. I just have one question! Where do we put all this new junque we collect????:shrug:

Hi, nONIE! Well, we could take the "old" junque and sell it on eBay. That way, we have room for the "new" junque! :laugh::laugh::laugh: Hey...that would be a great luncheon topic, "How to Sell on eBay"! :coolsmiley:

The other day I found a very pretty diamond tennis bracelet at Goodwill for only $4 ~ What a find (fake, of course, but I love it)

Fake or not, this is the type of stuff we could bring to Show-n-Tell. I'd love to see it! Great find! :thumbup:

clyd709
08-25-2009, 06:50 PM
I just thought of a name for you club. TVQ THE VINTAGE QUEENS:0000000000luvmyhors

njbchbum
08-25-2009, 07:17 PM
We tried to find the Habitat restore in Wildwood or Leesburg but couldn't find it. Someone there gave us directions but with road construction we gave up. If anyone knows where it is, post it here for all of us. There are two of them nearby. We don't have to go all the way to Ocala when we have two closeby. Thanks, Karen

http://www.habitat.org/cd/frame/frameset.aspx?url=www.habitat-lakesumterfl.org

Go to the web page and then click on the location you want [4 shops listed];when that page loads you have to click on the directions tab and you get a map - without written directions. Having the address will let you go to mapquest for written directions. Hope this helps.

Bettiboop
08-25-2009, 07:24 PM
I'll be lookin' to join this junque club when I move there!:pepper2: I'm SO looking forward to getting back to doing the things I enjoy doing. Lookin' for that elusive bargain is always fun. I used to think I had to buy everything I found, but I'm getting better at that. I've gotten now where I can enjoy the hunt even if I don't find something to buy.

nONIE
08-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi, nONIE! Well, we could take the "old" junque and sell it on eBay. That way, we have room for the "new" junque! :laugh::laugh::laugh: Hey...that would be a great luncheon topic, "How to Sell on eBay"! :coolsmiley:

Fake or not, this is the type of stuff we could bring to Show-n-Tell. I'd love to see it! Great find! :thumbup:

Dizz,

Wonderful idea, I like the way you think ! When you get to TV please let us know right away. I know of a few great flea mkts. and 2nd hand shops we can check out! Looking forward to meeting you!

dizz42
08-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Dizz, Wonderful idea, I like the way you think ! When you get to TV please let us know right away. I know of a few great flea mkts. and 2nd hand shops we can check out! Looking forward to meeting you!

Looking forward to meeting you also, nONIE! Sounds like a plan and thank you for your kind invite although our move probably will not happen until next spring. Right now, we are in the "clean out/give away/pitch" stage. Then we can sell the house and breeze on down to TV. In the meantime, I have these boards and great people like yourself to keep me going. :wave:

nONIE
08-25-2009, 08:33 PM

nONIE
08-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Dizz ,Awww, you sound like a total sweetheart! No visits between now and next spring? Well you are worth waiting for! We are going to have great fun in our Junque club!:coolsmiley:

Bettiboop, you are going to have to show me how to do that! (shop without buying) LOL

dizz42
08-25-2009, 09:08 PM
No visits between now and next spring?

Aw, shucks, M'am...thank-ye! :o Well, actually we might visit in mid-November if we can get tickets to the next space shuttle launch (still working on it). We'll probably try to rent from an owner for a week. However, we have talked about tying in a private rental with a LSP and just hanging around for another week. We'll have to wait-n-see. If that doesn't pan out, we're coming for sure in January.

I used to think I had to buy everything I found, but I'm getting better at that. I've gotten now where I can enjoy the hunt even if I don't find something to buy.

Another good luncheon topic, "How to shop and NOT buy." You're our lady on that one, Bettiboop! ;)

The Great Fumar
08-25-2009, 09:12 PM
THRIFT SHOP SHOPPING !!!!

Please don't call them THRIFT SHOPS.....We who frequent them like to refer to them as DESIGNER STORES...

Hurt Fumar

Bettiboop
08-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Bettiboop, you are going to have to show me how to do that! (shop without buying) LOL

It's like a 12 step program for me...and I'm only half way there.;)

dizz42
08-25-2009, 11:00 PM
It's like a 12 step program for me...and I'm only half way there.;)

:1rotfl: We gotta fight off those spending demons! :boxing2:

dog friendly
05-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Our Massey termite inspecter said a lot of temites are coming into houses from furniture and items from thrift stores. I love thrift stores, just pay close attention to what you purchase....

Boudicca
05-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Hi Ladies. Hope I am not repeating my message - replies are rather tricky! I would love to join the Thrift Shop group, and please add me to the list. Husband and I arrive this Friday when we close on our new house in Buttonwood after living in VA for 40 years. I shall miss my VA thrifty friends, but look forward to making new friends who also enjoy the thrill of the hunt. As I do not drive a car very much (glaucoma and macular), a car pool would be icing on the thrifty cake. Hope to meet you'all in person at TOTV breakfast. Sandra

SALYBOW
05-17-2010, 03:24 PM
We are coming to TV the week of July 18th. We close on the 23rd. I will be willing to thrift shop with the group. I stopped at Treasures and Bargains...loved it And the last time I was there I saw a consignment shop on 301 south of 466A. That's all I know so far.

juneroses
05-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Another home decor and furniture thrift shop to add to the list:

My Designer's Attic
801 N. Magnolia Avenue
Ocala (352) 369-9300

Hours:
9-5: M, Tues, Wed, Fri and Sat
9-4: Sunday and Thursday

There's also a small room featuring jewelry made by a local craftsperson.

Owner said this was the 8th week they've been open.

jaspal
05-22-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm visiting TV next month. What is the best flee market to visit within 50 miles?

Zam-Lynder
11-16-2010, 09:13 AM
I am moving to TV on Dec. 2nd- so excited. Renting in Duval until the end of January when our home in St. James will be ready. Everywhere we have lived there have been second hand gently used clothing stores- I was wondering if there are any near TV. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

KathieI
11-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Yes, there are a few of them around TV, but last weekend a few of us went to Another Look in downtown Leesburg and were very surprised at the excellent condition and great variety of items they had. I bought a wonderful purse that fits my needs exactly and it was only $12.00.... Can't beat that.

When you get here, give us a holler and we'll arrange a shopping trip with the ladies....

juneau
06-21-2011, 07:09 PM
There are a lot of consignment shops to name a few: Centsible Furnishings on 441 in Bailee Plaza near Joeys: there are several church ones, ie. St Vincent De Paul on 301; Hospital thrift shop on Old Dixie at end of 466 near 441. There is one in Leesburg on 441 that really nice, can't think of the name of it at this time, but I think it's a great idea to start a blog of them all. We could all add any we know of that are not on the list.

cruz.britt
06-22-2011, 08:31 AM
I love thrift stores! Books, purses, things for the home, furniture, you name it. I definitely want in on this list.

2BNTV
06-22-2011, 10:23 AM
BOB

"Babes on Bargains"

glwcww
06-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Chelsea, where is Bargains and Treasures located?

madrose
06-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Sign me up!!!! I am reading these posts with interest as I love bargain shopping. We close on our home in St. James on Monday and will come down the second week of July. I have LOTS of stuff to buy for our new home and intend to do a lot of bargain shopping from furniture to trinkets. Also need a washer and dryer.
Someone mentioned Second Hand Rose, I qualify for the name also because my name is Rose. Someone else mentioned 'Bargain Babes'.....I think that is short and cute.
Can't wait to meet you fun people.

marybb
06-22-2011, 06:47 PM
I to enjoy bargain shopping. Nearlee New on 441 is also a great place for finding treasures, don't let the bus leave without me.

Boudicca
06-22-2011, 08:42 PM
AT LAST!!! fellow kindred spirits who enjoy the thrill of the hunt while thrift store shopping. I have sorely missed those trips with gal pals in Virginia. Please include me in any thrift store shopping adventures. I am no longer able to drive a car, and would appreciate any car pooling offers. :gc:

beachx4me
12-21-2012, 12:17 AM
Did this group get off the ground (or on the bus)??? I have been reading these posts with great interest. Have enjoyed doing this all my life!! Am closing on a house at the end of the month and will be a resident by Spring. This sounds like loads of fun and a great way to find bargains and friends at the same time!!!

sunglow
12-21-2012, 08:34 AM
How exciting to see so many others that have what my husband calls "an affliction" for thrift stores! In January Renningers has an amazing antique market - it's huge and people from all over the country unique stuff to sell. I think it's three days and around January the 18th. I hope I see you all there.

beachx4me
12-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Where is Renningers???