PDA

View Full Version : Internet lulls on Comcast service high speed service

villages07
04-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Slight diversion....sorry topic cop :cop:

Comcast hi speed internet in The Villages.... have any of you experienced prolonged lulls in your modem/web response lately? It seems about every 15 minutes, my comcast will sit there with no activity for a minute .... sometimes the page I'm trying to access will time out. I can tell because the little PC icon in the tray does not have the bright 'blue' screen indicating incoming traffic.

Right now this computer has a wireless connection to a dlink router that is hooked up to a dlink cable modem.

Just curious if it was me or another symptom of our marginal comcast service here in TV.

Golf-Tinker
04-04-2008, 08:04 PM
We've been quite happy with the Comcast speed as compared to the Brighthouse service we had in Winter Haven. You must remember, you are competing for access over a limited bandwidth "pipe." Depending on how many fellow surfers are on any any time of the day and where you are receiving data from, you may experience lulls.

jtdraig
04-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Over the past few months, I have noticed a deterioration of comcast's services. We have had several localized outages (not counting the big one) and somewhat erratic broadband service as described above. I am not sure that the number of uses should hit a cable-based ISP as they might in a hotel where broadband is abyssmal in the morning and late evenings.
I'm only staying put for now because I am not sure of an alternative.

Barefoot
04-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Slight diversion....sorry topic cop :cop:
Comcast hi speed internet in The Villages.... have any of you experienced prolonged lulls in your modem/web response lately? It seems about every 15 minutes, my comcast will sit there with no activity for a minute .... Just curious if it was me or another symptom of our marginal comcast service here in TV.

V7, I'm having exactly the same problems with Comcast Hi Speed.

zcaveman
04-05-2008, 01:24 AM
I have no lulls on the main computer that is hardwired into the router. I do experience delays in the laptop that is on the wireless connection. When I experience the delays, I put the cursor on the wireless network icon and check the speed. It is usually down from 54 Mbps (usually 24 Mbps which is very slow). When it was constantly below 54 Mbps, I changed the channel in the router and that helped. Apparently too many users in the same local on different wireless networks using the same channel can affect the speed. Don't ask. I found it on the internet.

If you have an extra cable and a port on the wireless router plug it into your laptop and watch the speed increase. I usually do that when I am installing fixes or downloaded new apps.

Z

villages07
04-05-2008, 02:44 PM
zcave,

Thanks for the tips. I do check the signal strength and speed....signal usually excellent and speed usually at 11 Mbps...so local network is working ok. What I don't see is the light blue in the little computer screen icon that indicates incoming traffic. That means to me that comcast is not sending data to my modem.

zcaveman
04-07-2008, 02:23 AM
This has nothing to do with Comcast. When you are using WiFi, the signal from Comcast (or any other subscriber) stops at the router. After that it is between the router's antenna and your wireless antenna. If you have a weak router or you have dead spots between the router and your laptop you will suffer degradation. I would suggest that you move the laptop close to the router and check the signal and then move further away. The houses in TV use metal studs. That could be causing interference. You might need a booster.

chelsea24
04-08-2008, 06:37 PM
We have wireless and haven't changed anything, and I still notice a deterioration in comcast in the five months we've been here. :dontknow:

Sailor17
04-08-2008, 07:00 PM
:) :)

First, arrived safe and sound from NY yesterday............

Had a great dinner at Cane Gardens......

Then came home to set up our computer...........and my problems started....

It seems that the high speed connections we signed on for were nowhere to be found. All the cables were connected properly, the five lights on their modem where doing, "it's thing".........about three hours later, I reached Comcast tech, they were very helpful and here I am. I did notice a very long waiting time to get online this morning, but everything seems fine now.

Regards,
Sailor'a Wife :bigthumbsup: ;D

Rokinronda
04-08-2008, 07:45 PM
I have problems often w/ comcast high speed internet. For instance today I drew a CAD diagram for work and hit send, and whammo, internet explorer is not working. Sure enough, when I went to the laptop which uses Verizon wireless technology, comcast was fine. It is a COMCAST cable problem to me, whether they are working on lines, or new installs... :dontknow: took about 15 minutes before I could get back on and of course I lost my drawing. GGRRRRRR!! This happens way too often! Lags often also!

zcaveman
04-08-2008, 08:14 PM
We have wireless and haven't changed anything, and I still notice a deterioration in comcast in the five months we've been here. :dontknow:

I had no problems for several years and then all if a sudden I noticed deterioration. I noticed that the speed went up and down and the signal strength went from excellent to good. I did a status (right click on the wireless icon and click status and click on View wireless networks and found that the number had grown). I did some research and found out that there is a channel in the router. If too many users are on the same channel (I think 11 is the default channel) this can happen. Sign into your router and look at the channel, write it down and switch to another channel. I picked 6. Ever since the change I am no longer having problems.

As I said earlier. Comcast provides the signal to the modem. From there on it is the router or line of sight or interference. I am not a lover of Comcast but you cannot blame them for wireless problems unless you paid them to set it up.

Z

uujudy
04-09-2008, 06:06 AM
Personally, I think it's sunspots. Might want to wrap your computer with aluminum foil? I have a lovely foil hat that I wear, just in case. ;) It does help keep those pesky voices under control. :yikes: I can make a hat and a computer cosy for you, if you'd like.

Official Space Weather Advisory issued by NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center
Boulder, Colorado, USA

SPACE WEATHER ADVISORY OUTLOOK #08- 15
2008 April 08 at 01:07 p.m. MDT (2008 April 08 1907 UTC)

**** SPACE WEATHER OUTLOOK ****

Summary For March 31-April 6
Category G1 (minor) geomagnetic storm activity occurred on 04 and 06
April. Category G1 (minor) and G2 (moderate) geomagnetic storm activity
occurred on 05 April. This activity was due to high-speed solar winds
associated with a recurrent coronal hole.