PDA

View Full Version : I admit it. I judge a man by the way he looks.

Cisco Kid
09-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Look @ The TV news. If you walk in with a skull on your neck. I am leaving.
I would not hire you or rent to you. I will turn and run from you. I would assume you are guilty of what ever case needs closed.
This I confess.
I will talk to my priest about this Sunday.

Indydealmaker
09-29-2014, 02:01 PM
I would not hire you or rent to you. I will turn and run from you. I would assume you are guilty of what ever case needs closed.
This I confess.

Despite what the "progressives" preach, if you don't learn to profile you are more likely to end up regretting that learning deficiency than not.

Parker
09-29-2014, 02:06 PM
Saw a windshield banner on a rather run-down car the other day that read "Hated by Many". The driver looked like a thug. Suffice it to say, I'll take him at his word and assume he is a bad guy. I don't think that's judgemental, just a reasonable reaction.

pbkmaine
09-29-2014, 02:13 PM
I feel that way about tattoos, but a surprising number of nice people have them. Including our VP of HR.

MikeV
09-29-2014, 02:18 PM
I always judge a book by its cover until I have read it.

maddie101
09-29-2014, 02:21 PM
This I confess.

I would not want to be this guys dinner partner on a cruise for sure. This is the guy arrested near City Fire on Sunday

KayakerNC
09-29-2014, 02:22 PM
Certainly explains the success of the Bernie Madoff types.
http://menacesdamour.m.e.pic.centerblog.net/f0yhwma0.jpg

redwitch
09-29-2014, 02:47 PM
I hate tats. Cute, ugly, threatening, scary. I don't care. They're hideous. At the same time, some of the nicest people I've ever met have them. It took me a long time but I learned to at least let a person say more than five words before I dismissed them from my life regardless of their outward appearance.

A pretty cover does not a good book make.

graciegirl
09-29-2014, 02:51 PM
I hate tats. Cute, ugly, threatening, scary. I don't care. They're hideous. At the same time, some of the nicest people I've ever met have them. It took me a long time but I learned to at least let a person say more than five words before I dismissed them from my life regardless of their outward appearance.

We can't be so uncaring of our appearance if we want to get hired. You may be an ax murderer but if you are applying for a day care job, please don't look like an ax murderer.

Bernie Madoff didn't look the part of a bad guy, but that is a weak argument to me. I will profile.

Cisco Kid
09-29-2014, 02:54 PM
That had to hurt to get.
How many needles to the throat did it take to get a skull.
Me thinks he likes pain.
It hurts to look at.

Sable99
09-29-2014, 02:58 PM

I agree. I really don't like tattoos. But, I also think some tattoos are a lot worse than others and I must admit I probably do judge them.

redwitch
09-29-2014, 03:07 PM
I think we all judge. It is inherent in us. The question is what we do about that judgment. As I said, I've learnt to let someone talk and I try hard to listen before I decide I do not want to waste my time. That doesn't mean I'm not cautious, it just means you get the benefit of doubt.

Madelaine Amee
09-29-2014, 03:07 PM
This I confess.

First impressions are very, very important to me. This may be wrong and unchristian, but first impressions hang with me a long, long time. If my first impression turns out to be incorrect (and it does) I am still hesitant about the person.

OK, having said all that, I think a lot of people tend to have done stupid things in their youth that catch up with them in the long run. But, if you are going to put a skull and cross bones on your body don't put it on your neck where it is the first thing seen when people (and police, and gang members) meet you - smarten up and put it on the cheek of your backside where only select people will see it!

To me, a skull and cross bones on your neck is an affront to my sensibilities.

I don't apologize for my strong feelings on this matter ................... :ohdear:

BarryRX
09-29-2014, 03:28 PM
You never get a second chance at a first impression. That's why I always do James Cagney!

Cisco Kid
09-29-2014, 03:33 PM
And adding to my post that I will hijack,
A man armed with a pair of brass knuckles was arrested at 2 a.m. Sunday outside City Fire at Lake Sumter Landing Market Square.
2 AM ??????? I thought after 9 PM in TV only the possums were out ?

Patty55
09-29-2014, 03:38 PM
It's not just tats, I'm also judgemental of people with face piercing, multiple earrings, those nails we all did in the 80's, hunter type camo and that gauging thing.

I'm totally okay with service tattoos.

pbkmaine
09-29-2014, 03:40 PM
I really don't get tongue piercings. Why would you do that?

Patty55
09-29-2014, 03:41 PM
And adding to my post that I will hijack,
A man armed with a pair of brass knuckles was arrested at 2 a.m. Sunday outside City Fire at Lake Sumter Landing Market Square.
2 AM ??????? I thought after 9 PM in TV only the possums were out ?

Whoa, if that's the guy pictured upthread he looks like he smacked himself in the head. Maybe he did the "Should've have a V8" thing.

Patty55
09-29-2014, 03:43 PM
I really don't get tongue piercings. Why would you do that?

They say it enhances (how do I put this?) a picnic in the square.

Cisco Kid
09-29-2014, 03:45 PM
First impressions are very, very important to me. This may be wrong and unchristian, but first impressions hang with me a long, long time. If my first impression turns out to be incorrect (and it does) I am still hesitant about the person.

OK, having said all that, I think a lot of people tend to have done stupid things in their youth that catch up with them in the long run. But, if you are going to put a skull and cross bones on your body don't put it on your neck where it is the first thing seen when people (and police, and gang members) meet you - smarten up and put it on the cheek of your backside where only select people will see it!

To me, a skull and cross bones on your neck is an affront to my sensibilities.

I don't apologize for my strong feelings on this matter ................... :ohdear:

If I had put a Skull & Cross Bones on my front side as a youth, My daddy would have shaved my *** and make we walk backwards.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
09-29-2014, 03:52 PM
I was just talking to my wife the other day about how you can look at some people and just know they are trouble.

On rare occasions you might find that you are wrong but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

When the OP mentioned a skull tattooed on the neck, I have to ask myself what kind of person would want to look like that? What does he want others to think of him?

My previous wife was a addiction counselor. She always told her clients, if you want people to stop thinking of you as a heroin addict, stop looking like one.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
09-29-2014, 04:00 PM
I think that a lot of people misunderstand the concept of not judging people. I learned that although you shouldn't judge people, you should judge their actions. Is not wrong to judge that murdering someone is wrong and that the person who did it has done a bad thing?

Do good people sometimes do bad things? Sure but they should still pay the price.

Having a skull tattooed on your neck is an action and it speaks volumes about the kind of person you are the the type of image that you want to portray. I don't think that it's wrong to judge in that way.

KayakerNC
09-29-2014, 04:00 PM
I wonder what Barbie's Tramp Stamp will look like when she is ready to move to The Villages.

http://www.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/121.jpg

Bubble Gum
09-29-2014, 04:03 PM
Years ago as a child, my father repeatedly said something to me, that has remained instilled in my brain.

"Show me your friends and I'll tell you who you are."

Judgmental? Yes, but it seems he was right.

2BNTV
09-29-2014, 04:05 PM
I am not a fan of tatoo's. Never believed they enchance, the look of a person.

My son listened to his grandmother, as she told him never to do that, or he and she would have a problem.

I never felt the need to express myself that way. I went to a gym in CT, and one guy had tatoo's so you couldn't see any of his original skin. Nice man, but I didn't think of it as attractive. Same goes for women, who have tatoo's over their whole body. To me, this is a weird way to express oneself but that's just me.

gomoho
09-29-2014, 04:06 PM
It's a generational thing - most young people today think nothing of it. My daughter has her masters in clinical psychology with a focus on substance abuse. She also has a full sleeve tat that tells a story of Buddha. In her profession it has worked to her advantage 'cause the kids she works with are interested and it opens the spirituality and mindfulness discussion. She has not had an employment issue at this point; however, she is probably in a much more tolerant profession than say Wall Street.

Aandjmassage
09-29-2014, 04:26 PM
I watch out for tattoo on tears. I was told that means they killed someone.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
09-29-2014, 04:30 PM
I wonder what Barbie's Tramp Stamp will look like when she is ready to move to The Villages.

http://www.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/121.jpg

Amazing that even after it got the name "tramp stamp" that girls would still get them.

I remember a student that I had back in the nineties telling me she was so excited because she was finally going to get her tramp stamp that afternoon. I asked her why she wanted to be known as a tramp and she said, "It really doesn't mean anything, it's just cool.

I wonder how many forty year olds there are now that are trying to find ways to have their tramp stamp removed.

billethkid
09-29-2014, 06:18 PM
nastyness and bad behavior is not just relegated to the unkempt folks with tats or piercings...

How about the little old lady/little old man that would just as soon run you down in the crosswalk as look at you or the one that cuts you off on the highway and flips you the bird.

We all profile and we are all stereotypically prejudiced.

mr and mrs bike
09-29-2014, 06:42 PM
I don't know how to post the site from our local paper but a man was just sentenced in our local courthouse to three life terms today. His name is Caius Veiovis. If you have a minute to waste on him you might want to check him out. I wonder how someone can slip so far into the dark side.

Deseylou
09-29-2014, 06:43 PM
I think when we hang out with like minded folks, we fit in and it's ok to look a certain way
Many people have the attitude, if they don't like what I look like then ( curse word) them.
They forget that most of society doesn't feel, act or dress that way

onslowe
09-29-2014, 06:50 PM
I grew up in NYC. One learned profiling early, especially on subways and subway stations.
I'm no expert, and I never 'violated' someone's alleged constitutional rights. But it got me away from or out of danger umpteen times.

Imagine how many dead police officers there would be absent the survival tactic of profiling?

I agree with the OP. Many many times, tattoos are a signal. Some idiot wants to 'belong' to his peer group of losers and social misfits. Or wants to imitate those role models locked up in prisons.

I grew up seeing men once in a while with one or two on them. Not a 'sleeve' as they now say, nor a full back full of drawings. I am glad I am not in the 'dating game' now. Women with tattoos are not my cup of tea. YMMV.

mgjim
09-29-2014, 07:07 PM
I was waiting to pay for a purchase once; the sales clerk was an attractively dressed woman who had her back turned as I approached the counter. When she turned around, I saw what I thought was a string of snot dangling from her nose and stuck in her hair. I didn't want to embarrass her by making a big deal out of it, but I felt I should say something. Then, as I took a closer look, I realized that she had a chain running from a ring in her nose to a ring in her earlobe. I was surprised that it wasn't a violation of some dress code at that particular store. At least it wasn't snot though.

Halibut
09-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Despite what the "progressives" preach, if you don't learn to profile you are more likely to end up regretting that learning deficiency than not.

I believe the great progressive Jesus preached that we should, "Judge not ..."

graciegirl
09-29-2014, 08:03 PM

I think that using our common sense and protecting ourselves with solid decisions based on available evidence is not "judging". It is something akin to taking care of our health and using our talents, which is another parable. But I am not a literal interpreter of sacred scripture.

dbussone
09-29-2014, 08:08 PM
I was waiting to pay for a purchase once; the sales clerk was an attractively dressed woman who had her back turned as I approached the counter. When she turned around, I saw what I thought was a string of snot dangling from her nose and stuck in her hair. I didn't want to embarrass her by making a big deal out of it, but I felt I should say something. Then, as I took a closer look, I realized that she had a chain running from a ring in her nose to a ring in her earlobe. I was surprised that it wasn't a violation of some dress code at that particular store. At least it wasn't snot though.

I'm surprised that is not a health code violation of one sort or another.

Bonny
09-29-2014, 09:06 PM
I have to say, some of what I am reading here has me stunned !!
I didn't think so many people were into the "profiling" or blantly "judging" thing.
I just pray that you are not on a jury convicting someone because of their tattoos or piercings. :pray:
Very scary indeed !!!

DougB
09-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I think all murderers and child killers should be good looking and clean cut like Ted Bundy.

Taltarzac725
09-29-2014, 09:53 PM

Some of the nastiest people are very attractive to look at thinking back about some of the law students I knew at the University of Minnesota Law School. Outer beauty had nothing to do with inner beauty.

I know a lot of tattooed retired people who had a stint in the military who are quite nice and many of these people are here in the Villages.

Now if you have a skull tattoo on your face I am crossing the road to go look at that store over there.

I remember some prisoners at the Minnesota Correctional Facility around 1987-1989 in Stillwater who had tear tattoos. I thought that was a little cute until I found out what it meant. That they had killed someone to get their status in a gang or had done it as an rite-of-passage into the gang. Of course, in 2014, it may mean something entirely different given wherever you are.

Prison fashions often became very popular with the teens -- just look at the pants on the ground trend.

redwitch
09-30-2014, 04:54 AM
I always wondered if boys would wear pants down below their hips if they knew it was a prison signal to let others know you were "available" for a "liaison"? I did mention to that one teen and he immediately pulled his pants up. However, the next time I saw him, they were dragging again.

Paulz
09-30-2014, 05:35 AM
As a society the U.S. (Wrongly) has an issue with profiling. Every law enforcement officer who addresses the press must spend hours in front of a mirror saying "we do not profile" without laughing.

OBXNana
09-30-2014, 06:00 AM
In 1999 we went to watch our daughter, a freshman in collage play her first collage soccer game. When the game ended we noticed when she took off her jersey and went to her tank top she was sporting a tattoo on her mid back. Some refer to as a "tramp stamp". She walked across the field to give hugs and as she spoke we noticed she now had a tongue ring. We always encouraged our children to express themselves and said nothing. A couple weeks later, we arrived at home coming and used magnetic studs in our noses. Her father, with his traditional buzz type haircut looked a bit unusual, but I'm certain I looked equally as ridiculous. Her comment was "seriously" and an eye roll. At graduation she walked over to us and before the traditional hugs and kisses, she stuck out her tongue and the tongue jewelry was gone. She is now a teacher and is very cautious when she bends over that her tattoo doesn't show, but is still very proud of the design she drew herself with a Celtic theme showing her heritage.

The tattoo is beautiful and truly shows her creative side and she must cover it up because of perception. It's unfortunate our talented, caring, compassionate daughter is judged by the art work on her body. It's reality and is not going to go away. Our daughter's tattoo is hidden for the most part and in all honesty, we've had multiple discussions with her, and she is thankful she kept her creative expression limited to her mid back. I wonder how many people get the piercings or tattoos when young and then wonder 10 years later, what was I thinking!

In the 1960's the song "Long haired freaky people need not apply" was popular and 50 years later, not too much has changed.

Madelaine Amee
09-30-2014, 06:10 AM
In 1999 we went to watch our daughter, a freshman in collage play her first collage soccer game. When the game ended we noticed when she took off her jersey and went to her tank top she was sporting a tattoo on her mid back. Some refer to as a "tramp stamp". She walked across the field to give hugs and as she spoke we noticed she now had a tongue ring. We always encouraged our children to express themselves and said nothing. A couple weeks later, we arrived at home coming and used magnetic studs in our noses. Her father, with his traditional buzz type haircut looked a bit unusual, but I'm certain I looked equally as ridiculous. Her comment was "seriously" and an eye roll. At graduation she walked over to us and before the traditional hugs and kisses, she stuck out her tongue and the tongue jewelry was gone. She is now a teacher and is very cautious when she bends over that her tattoo doesn't show, but is still very proud of the design she drew herself with a Celtic theme showing her heritage.

The tattoo is beautiful and truly shows her creative side and she must cover it up because of perception. It's unfortunate our talented, caring, compassionate daughter is judged by the art work on her body. It's reality and is not going to go away. Our daughter's tattoo is hidden for the most part and in all honesty, we've had multiple discussions with her, and she is thankful she kept her creative expression limited to her mid back. I wonder how many people get the piercings or tattoos when young and then wonder 10 years later, what was I thinking!

In the 1960's the song "Long haired freaky people need not apply" was popular and 50 years later, not too much has changed.

Nice post and what a great sense of humor to turn up in nose studs:icon_wink:! I think I have read somewhere that Kelly Rippa has a rose tat on her ankle, or somewhere, and her Mother also told her that one day it would come back to haunt her, I believe she now spends quite a bit of money either on trying to get it removed by laser or good makeup!

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
09-30-2014, 06:28 AM
nastyness and bad behavior is not just relegated to the unkempt folks with tats or piercings...

How about the little old lady/little old man that would just as soon run you down in the crosswalk as look at you or the one that cuts you off on the highway and flips you the bird.

We all profile and we are all stereotypically prejudiced.

There's no question that some people hide who they are and some people put it out there for all to see.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
09-30-2014, 06:39 AM

That has to be one of the most misunderstood quotes from The Bible. Matthew was talking about the final judgement, saying that humans cannot judge is another man is going to heaven. We really can't tell what is in another man's heart.

As I said, judging people is one thing and judging actions is another. What do you have to say about a man that rapes a nine year old girl, or someone that murders a family because they thought it would be fun? Should we not judge those actions? Should we not say that those people did bad things? Can we not make a reasonable assumption that someone who continues to do bad things and has no remorse is a bad person?

Sometimes a person will commit an atrocity and later come to see the light and regret that deed or perhaps there was some kind of emotional or mental issue going on at the time for which the person has gotten help. In those cases, we might say that the person did something terrible, but because he shows remorse and is truly sorry or was somehow inflicted at the time, he is not a bad person. It was simply a mistake.

Are we not passing judgement in any of these cases? Can we not judge people to be fine upstanding people?

Matthew 7:1-3 is one of the most misunderstood passages in The Bible. Unfortunately, people use it to excuse all kinds of bad behavior. We all judge every day and it is not wrong to do so.

onslowe
09-30-2014, 07:09 AM

If I can comment upon the constant misuse and misapplication of what Jesus actually said? The full text is in the Gospel of Saint Matthew and is part of the "Sermon on the Mount."

It is not a call to moral relativism - don't judge anyone, and so on. That is an illogical position since one is then passing judgement on others passing judgement.

Jesus never ever said to refrain from judgement! (Go teach all nations… and teach them to observe what you teach [paraphrase] Also, when he sent the apostles out two by two prior to His death, he told them to 'kick the dust off their sandals" and move on when any town did not accept their teachings.

If one judges, be prepared to have God (not other people) judge you by the same measure.

A lot different from a blanket prohibition arising out of a mistaken use/reading of Sacred Scripture.

I hope I remember His teaching.

(Edited - I apologize for not having read Winston Boogie's excellent post of this a.m. before I posted. He says it much better than I.)

graciegirl
09-30-2014, 07:30 AM
I have to say, some of what I am reading here has me stunned !!
I didn't think so many people were into the "profiling" or blantly "judging" thing.
I just pray that you are not on a jury convicting someone because of their tattoos or piercings. :pray:
Very scary indeed !!!

There are tattoos and then there are tattoos, There is cleavage, and then there is cleavage. There is makeup and then there is makeup. There is jewelry and then there is jewelry, there is perfume and then there is perfume, there are bathing suits and then there are bathing suits.

How we present ourselves with decoration tells a story. With some it is a lovely story, with others a mystery, and for others it is a for sale sign..

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and is an overall affect. Dolly Parton used her cleavage to draw attention to herself but that couldn't cover her sweetness, charm and warmth. She was never tawdry to me.

I think what is being discussed is how people of our age might perceive that another is dangerous or at least suspicious.

I do profile. Most people do. They should. We cannot defend ourselves or run as fast as we once could. We have to make judgments about others on their appearance. It would be dangerous not too.

But I frequently profile when I look into a crinkly pair of older eyes smiling at me too.

2BNTV
09-30-2014, 07:38 AM
We all judge people on some level whether it is conscious, or not.

When deciding if someone is to be a friend or not, to being on the street and see someone, who may alarm us. In a perfect world, no one would judge another person.

GOD does not judge a person till the end of his/her days, who are we, to judge? Dale Carnegie

Bonny
09-30-2014, 07:46 AM
There are tattoos and then there are tattoos, There is cleavage, and then there is cleavage. There is makeup and then there is makeup. There is jewelry and then there is jewelry, there is perfume and then there is perfume, there are bathing suits and then there are bathing suits.

How we present ourselves with decoration tells a story. With some it is a lovely story, with others a mystery, and for others it is a for sale sign..

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and is an overall affect. Dolly Parton used her cleavage to draw attention to herself but that couldn't cover her sweetness, charm and warmth. She was never tawdry to me.

I think what is being discussed is how people of our age might perceive that another is dangerous or at least suspicious.

I do profile. Most people do. They should. We cannot defend ourselves or run as fast as we once could. We have to make judgments about others. It would be dangerous not too.

But I frequently profile when I look into a crinkly pair of older eyes smiling at me too.
Well said. Yes, I guess we all profile to a certain extent. I'm just uncomfortable when I feel it's being over done.
I was with some one a few weeks ago. She saw a gal with a tongue piercing and said "what a piece of trash." I said she is one of the nicest people I know. The person I was with then said "I wouldn't even want to know her."
Yes, we have to be aware of the people around us. Just remember how handsome Ted Bundy was. We never know.

graciegirl
09-30-2014, 07:49 AM
I am so lucky to live here with people like y'all.:a040:

redwitch
09-30-2014, 08:04 AM
One of the loveliest guys I ever knew had a skull on the side of his neck, tongue piercing, eyebrow piercings and a bunch of other garbage on his body. He also had a teardrop by his eye. Most of you would have run from him (he wasn't a small guy). He did not know the teardrop signified a murder. He had it put there for all the tears he had shed for those he had lost.

He never had a great-paying job. Didn't want one. As he put it, he made enough to get by and enjoyed his life. He never seemed to envy those who had more and tried to help those who had less.

I will admit I was uncomfortable looking at all of his mutilations but I am so thankful I got to know the person behind all of that mess. He was the one who would always be there to lend a hand, the first to help anyone in need, the most gentle soul I've ever met. I was so fortunate to have him in my life.

rubicon
09-30-2014, 08:22 AM
The innate nature of man is "flight or fight" sight sound feel touch smell work on a continuum and are changed and reinforced with experiences. My life's work taught me that first impressions did influence me and if I was to remain objective in my work I needed to test those first impressions.

My friends and I grew up influenced by those clean cut collegiate types sharps creases in our slacks izod shirts white and black saddles, etc. We rejected the black leather jacket long side burn types.

It came as a pleasant surprise when a personal situation brought me in contact with a black guy with braids tats, piercings. I found the guy to be genuine kind ,considerate, intelligent. We embraced after this encounter
Yet i agree if you saw that guy in an alley way you would have been quite concerned for your safety and the flight/fight stimulus would have kicked in

As a 15 year old I would walk across a railroad bridge nightly to my now wife's home. In the thick of the greenery were hobo's . I got in the habit of stopping to talk with them and sharing my cigarettes. One night John one of the hobo's I knew best confronted me his eyes burned bright red and I knew it meant danger. I had to thread my way over the train track to escape John. John was found two months later floating face down in the canal below these train tracks

Pointer
09-30-2014, 08:23 AM
I always told my children to trust their instinct. If you get a felling in your belly or something tells you you're uncomfortable trust it. I live by that myself. While I don't like some of the "tats" or rings etc. I go by that feeling I get as to weather someone is "not ok" to be around more than anything.
I also do a lot of family history and one of the things I have to keep in mind is the "thinking of that period of time" and not todays. For instance what we knew medically back then, the politics and belief systems etc. Which makes family stories even more interesting.

LOL I asked my kids to imagine if they're mother had the peace sign or l o v e tattooed on her knuckles and how that might look now. Hummm maybe I will. "What NO!!" They all said. I also said that the only thing they should ever consider might be the word "mom" as her love would always be in style, but that they could say it was supposed to say "wow" and they were drunk and put it on upside down.
The result is no tatt's, hummmm. Lol, which had more effect, could have been the "stupid" ones some of their friends got more then anything. Someday I'll ask them as i'm sure in reality it had little if anything to do with me. till then I can dream.

Patty55
09-30-2014, 08:46 AM
I always wanted to get my pets pawprints over my heart, then I realized that I have lost so many over the years there wouldn't be room. Never did it and wouldn't you know as you get older the "billboard" area got bigger but I guess they'd no longer be over my heart-LOL. I don't think pawprints on my midsection would have the same effect.

I find service tats very sexy, back in the day I went out with a guy who had been in Airborne and had a small parachute guy.

graciegirl
09-30-2014, 08:49 AM
[quote=Pointer;946068]I always told my children to trust their instinct. If you get a felling in your belly or something tells you

Trusting your instincts.

A handsome young man came to the Reebok booth at The National Sporting Goods Show in Atlanta. He was handed to me because he was from Ohio and that was the territory I represented for Reebok Clothing.. He told me to be in Columbus at nine on the next Monday and threw down his card and left. He came across as very arrogant and far from polite. I didn't like him. He owned several "Just Sweats" stores with his partner, a man called Hanson.

I braved a serious snow storm to drive from Cincinnati to Columbus, I arrived at nine, and was told to wait. I was shown into his office at shortly after one in the afternoon. I was steaming. The interview went downhill from there and he said he expected advertising money, returns, and a lot of extras. I said that would depend of course on the amount of business we could do together, (the usual negotiating argument.) He said "when you deal with me, you do it my way" I had a product that was much in demand at the time and I was steamed and I made the call to say, I don't think we can do business at this time and rolled my apparel rack out and left.

His name was John Hawkins and a couple of months later he would become nationally famous and on the national most wanted list involved with murder and an insurance scam. He was finally caught, I think in Europe somewhere.

Notorious Swindler Recounts Notorious (http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/05/21/san-diego-just-sweats-founder-john-hawkins.html)

tomwed
09-30-2014, 09:32 AM
In our culture hair length, hair color or whatever someone does with their nails never bothered me. It sends the message, here is where I am right now. I get it. I've been there.

It's all wallpaper. I wouldn't pick out the same wallpaper today I hung 30 years ago.

All of the other kookiness that can't be changed, sends the message I will never change. Their thinking is too closed minded for me.

[I did not read all of the posts before I gave my opinion. I would like apologise to anyone who loves someone that has tattoos and piercings. It was selfish of me.]

Bill Tasker
09-30-2014, 09:39 AM
It's hard to judge a book by it's cover now a days and if we don't rely on our instinct and fight or flight messages we can easily find ourselves in trouble. I have always relied on that little inner voice for direction. So far it hasn't failed me. Some people by the way they present themselves give the impression of danger. Then there are those like the Ted Bundys of the world where you hope your inner voice sends you that message to stay clear.

Taltarzac725
09-30-2014, 09:50 AM
40 Amazing Face Tattoo Designs (http://www.tattooeasily.com/face-tattoo/)

Some of these are interesting facial tattoos. I suppose if I were at some 20 something targeted concert I would have a more open approach to seeing a tattoo like some of these.

Bonny
09-30-2014, 10:11 AM
Uncanny story...
In the early 70's we had a new girl start working where I worked. She was loud, nasty & mean and none of us liked her. We used to kid and tell each other she was probably a murderer.
She worked there for about a month and left. We laughed and said she was probably in prison.
2 months later I had to go to court for my divorce. All of a sudden I heard the judge call her name. Her lawyer was there asking for more time.
She was accused along with her mother of trying to kill her husband !!

Cedwards38
09-30-2014, 10:55 AM
I form an impression of a person when I see them, but it can be subject to change. I tend to judge a person when I hear what they have to say, and that can be more difficult to change.

jbdlfan
09-30-2014, 12:45 PM
The tats, piercings and gauges are definitley a generational thing. I am amazed at how many folks will immediately dismiss someone for any of these. Do you know how many of your doctors, nurses fireman, emts, teachers lawyers are tatted these days? You just can't always see them. I know of at least five pastors with tattoos. "Don't judge a book by it's cover. You may be on chapter two, they may be on chapter twenty-two."

jbdlfan
09-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Just curious, if you needed a good doctor and heard the best person around was in Orlando. But when you went to see him he was all tatted up. You would go to a different doctor????
How about your fireman that comes to save your house, are waiting for one without piercings or tattoos?

Taltarzac725
09-30-2014, 02:29 PM
Just curious, if you needed a good doctor and heard the best person around was in Orlando. But when you went to see him he was all tatted up. You would go to a different doctor????
How about your fireman that comes to save your house, are waiting for one without piercings or tattoos?

I do not care what a lawyer, veterinarian, doctor, policeman, or fireman looks like. Just if that person is good at their job.

Some of the nurses at the Villages Regional Hospital seemed to have tattoos of various kinds and all of these did there job well.

Patty55
09-30-2014, 02:35 PM
I do not care what a lawyer, veterinarian, doctor, policeman, or fireman looks like. Just if that person is good at their job.

Some of the nurses at the Villages Regional Hospital seemed to have tattoos of various kinds and all of these did there job well.

I do care what a lawyer looks like, I want someone who looks professional, can think on his feet and is dressed traditionally. I once reprimanded my attorney for wearing a pea green suit.

Walter123
09-30-2014, 03:25 PM
I do care what a lawyer looks like, I want someone who looks professional, can think on his feet and is dressed traditionally. I once reprimanded my attorney for wearing a pea green suit.

Did he get you off??

Bonanza
09-30-2014, 03:44 PM

I, too, care what a professional person looks like. Somehow, a doctor with a beard bothers me. To me it doesn't represent the cleanliness and professionalism look a doctor should have. No, it wouldn't stop me, but I don't like it. My old gyn doctor had a beard and being the old, outspoken person I am, told him what I thought.

If you are a professional person no one can fault you for not having a tattoo.
It doesn't usually work the other way 'round.

marennorge
09-30-2014, 03:50 PM
I am a firm believer that stereotypes become stereotypes for a reason.

graciegirl
09-30-2014, 04:01 PM
The tats, piercings and gauges are definitley a generational thing. I am amazed at how many folks will immediately dismiss someone for any of these. Do you know how many of your doctors, nurses fireman, emts, teachers lawyers are tatted these days? You just can't always see them. I know of at least five pastors with tattoos. "Don't judge a book by it's cover. You may be on chapter two, they may be on chapter twenty-two."

The generational thing is what you're pushing. YOU are the age of my children and our children and their spouses and their friends and their business associates aren't tattooed or pierced, and neither are our grandchildren. Neither are our siblings children and grandchildren. Neither are all cousins and their children and grandchildren, nor were our neighbors back in Ohio who are your age nor their children

It is something else, but it isn't generational.

Our grandchildren, siblings.

KayakerNC
09-30-2014, 04:03 PM
:1rotfl:
http://lowres.cartoonstock.com/recruitment-job-indictment-conviction-crime-formal_accusation-aban1503_low.jpg

Cisco Kid
09-30-2014, 04:11 PM
If this guy was sitting at the town square with is machete. Would you judge him. Nothing he is doing is illegal.

Taltarzac725
09-30-2014, 04:20 PM

A lot of legal work never gets done in a courtroom. Any smart lawyer would not want to anger the judge and/or jury she might get. I would expect that if you hired a law firm with a good reputation that they would have a trial lawyer who looked like someone a jury and or judge would like.

I meant say a lawyer for a will or something like that. If she has a nose piercing while doing routine stuff in her office, it would not bother me that much.

I got a postcard from one of the best trial lawyers in the country when I was looking for help with my 224 613 Project. This is Gerry Spence. Google him. I will put up his picture some time. http://www.spencelawyers.com/attorneys/partners/gerry-l-spence/

rubicon
09-30-2014, 04:56 PM
I grew up in NYC. One learned profiling early, especially on subways and subway stations.
I'm no expert, and I never 'violated' someone's alleged constitutional rights. But it got me away from or out of danger umpteen times.

Imagine how many dead police officers there would be absent the survival tactic of profiling?

I agree with the OP. Many many times, tattoos are a signal. Some idiot wants to 'belong' to his peer group of losers and social misfits. Or wants to imitate those role models locked up in prisons.

I grew up seeing men once in a while with one or two on them. Not a 'sleeve' as they now say, nor a full back full of drawings. I am glad I am not in the 'dating game' now. Women with tattoos are not my cup of tea. YMMV.

onslowe: your story brought me back to a time when my friend his wife mine and me traveled from upstate to attend the Yankee/Red Socks double header. My friend had a new Cadillac that he was very protective of and so arrnaged for overnight stay i White Plains. We took the train from there to Yankee Stadium.

When we entered the train at White Plains the train was bare at the next stop people boarded but crowded around us and this same scenario repeated it self for a good number of stops. I found this behavior to be peculiar until i recognized the social-economic change the closer we came to the inner city in passengers and now realized what the people in White Plains had done and probably did every day

Patty55
09-30-2014, 05:30 PM
Did he get you off??

Pea soup suit I unloaded. The traditional one I spent five years with.

Patty55
09-30-2014, 05:42 PM
A lot of legal work never gets done in a courtroom. Any smart lawyer would not want to anger the judge and/or jury she might get. I would expect that if you hired a law firm with a good reputation that they would have a trial lawyer who looked like someone a jury and or judge would like.

I meant say a lawyer for a will or something like that. If she has a nose piercing while doing routine stuff in her office, it would not bother me that much.

I got a postcard from one of the best trial lawyers in the country when I was looking for help with my 224 613 Project. This is Gerry Spence. Google him. I will put up his picture some time. Wyoming Personal Injury Attorneys, Gerry Spence, The Spence Law Firm (http://www.spencelawyers.com/attorneys/partners/gerry-l-spence/)

Nose ring girl could remove it for the office, they make you do that at Starbucks, so why not a law firm?

Yes, Gerry Spence is considered one of the best trial lawyers, I'm sure he didn't look like a facacta mess starting out.

I don't care if it doesn't show, I don't even care about an arm tat, we started out talking extremes with face and neck tats and now we're talking Spence's hair.

rubicon
09-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Gerry Spence what a piece of work the master of illusion a real foxhedge

KayakerNC
09-30-2014, 06:28 PM
Gerry Spence what a piece of work the master of illusion a real foxhedge

?? What's a "foxhedge"? ??:confused:

dbussone
09-30-2014, 06:35 PM

I got a postcard from one of the best trial lawyers in the country when I was looking for help with my 224 613 Project. This is Gerry Spence. Google him. I will put up his picture some time. http://www.spencelawyers.com/attorneys/partners/gerry-l-spence/

He looks like we could use him here. Perhaps the "brass nuckle" guy could use him. In all seriousness I know of him from living out west. He has a great rep.

dave from deland
09-30-2014, 06:58 PM
Despite what the "progressives" preach, if you don't learn to profile you are more likely to end up regretting that learning deficiency than not.You are exactly right.

rubicon
09-30-2014, 07:22 PM
?? What's a "foxhedge"? ??:confused:

Hi KayakerNC Its the best of a fox and a hedgehog at being crafty the fox seen as multitasking the hedgehog dogging one thing but doing it well

KayakerNC
09-30-2014, 07:27 PM
Hi KayakerNC Its the best of a fox and a hedgehog at being crafty the fox seen as multitasking the hedgehog dogging one thing but doing it well

Thanks Rubicon, I'd never heard that term before. :ho:

Bonanza
09-30-2014, 07:35 PM
If this guy was sitting at the town square with is machete. Would you judge him. Nothing he is doing is illegal.

While he may not be doing anything illegal,
I guarantee you that if a cop walked by with him sitting in that garb with a machete,
he wouldn't be sitting there very long.

Schaumburger
10-01-2014, 02:55 AM
I would not want to be this guys dinner partner on a cruise for sure. This is the guy arrested near City Fire on Sunday

Gee, I bet his parents are proud of him LOL.

In the fairly conservative world of engineering, this man would never get hired (at least not at the company I work for). The neck tattoo would be a deal breaker at my company.

I have told my nieces who in their early 20's, just be careful that if you decide to get a tattoo -- where you get the tattoo on your body as far as being visible while you are at work. I don't think too many hospitals (one niece is in her third year of nursing school, and my other niece is enrolling in a master's degree program for physician assistants in January) want their health professionals to have large visible tattoos (i.e., neck tattoos, face tattoos).

lynxville
10-01-2014, 06:40 AM

If it is wrong to make moral judgments regarding the behavior of others then it would be wrong to judge other for judging!

Jesus did also not intend his words to be used to stop other from admonishing others when they are committing sinful behavior.

Cedwards38
10-01-2014, 06:42 AM
Biblical references to "judging"...................

What Does the Bible Say About Judging Others? (http://www.openbible.info/topics/judging_others)
including:

John 7:24

Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”

graciegirl
10-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Biblical references to "judging"...................

What Does the Bible Say About Judging Others? (http://www.openbible.info/topics/judging_others)
including:

John 7:24

Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”

You may be right but if my granddaughter brought home someone who looked like that I'd have a fit and a bad spell and run up and down the wall.

ditka41
10-01-2014, 08:28 AM
Why should we ignore our powers of observation, proven history, and common sense? It is just fine to use your instincts in making judgments if that's all you have at the moment. Wish our government leaders were bright enough to encourage the same.

jbdlfan
10-01-2014, 10:18 AM
The generational thing is what you're pushing. YOU are the age of my children and our children and their spouses and their friends and their business associates aren't tattooed or pierced, and neither are our grandchildren. Neither are our siblings children and grandchildren. Neither are all cousins and their children and grandchildren, nor were our neighbors back in Ohio who are your age nor their children

It is something else, but it isn't generational.

Our grandchildren, siblings.

Not sure how you would know if your childrens's business associates have tattoos.....
I'm pretty sure the proliferation of Tattoo Shops is a direct reflection of a generation wanting ink. Supply versus demand.
Both my spouse and I, professionals, have tattoos. Our three children, professional- two in the medical field, one business have tats. I'm sure my grandchildren will have them also.
But I supposse, some that don't wear ink would claim superiority over those that do. Glad we live in a society that allows for both.

graciegirl
10-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Not sure how you would know if your childrens's business associates have tattoos.....
I'm pretty sure the proliferation of Tattoo Shops is a direct reflection of a generation wanting ink. Supply versus demand.
Both my spouse and I, professionals, have tattoos. Our three children, professional- two in the medical field, one business have tats. I'm sure my grandchildren will have them also.
But I supposse, some that don't wear ink would claim superiority over those that do. Glad we live in a society that allows for both.

Do you know or have met or seen or observed your children's business associates? Most people know their children's friends and business associates.

I do feel superior.....AND I would look very out of place in the world I live in with the friends and family I have with tattoos. AND I have many people YOUR age who are my friends.

And as far as feeling superior, you seem to be always bringing up something negative about the generation older than you.

I think my kids and their friends and their contributions to society speak for themselves.

Class is something you're born with. You can't earn it, buy it, learn it or get it by association. AND you sure as hell can't have it inserted in your skin with dye.:cus:

jbdlfan
10-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Do you know or have met or seen or observed your children's business associates? Most people know their children's friends and business associates.

I do feel superior.....AND I would look very out of place in the world I live in with the friends and family I have with tattoos. AND I have many people YOUR age who are my friends.

And as far as feeling superior, you seem to be always bringing up something negative about the generation older than you.

I think my kids and their friends and their contributions to society speak for themselves.

Class is something you're born with. You can't earn it, buy it, learn it or get it by association. AND you sure as hell can't have it inserted in your skin with dye.:cus:

I'm so glad you responded this way and confirmed what I always imagined. As far as being negative about the generation ahead of me, absolutely not. Many are the finest, most compassionate, patriotic, level-headed, considerate, reliable people ther are, but then again, many are not. ( just like every generation) I'm just enough of a realist to know that some folks just have lives that are different than mine.
Sooooo, getting back to ink, if Dr. Who is the best cancer or cardiac surgeon around and he has sleeves and a huge cross accross his back, I'm hoping I'm lucky enough to have him as my doctor.
"There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. 'Good pride' represents our dignity and self-respect. 'Bad pride' is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance."

John C. Maxwell

graciegirl
10-01-2014, 11:20 AM
Why should we ignore our powers of observation, proven history, and common sense? It is just fine to use your instincts in making judgments if that's all you have at the moment. Wish our government leaders were bright enough to encourage the same.

bump

Walter123
10-01-2014, 12:02 PM
Did someone actually say they feel superior to someone with a tattoo? I have a small tattoo and I take offence to that comment. Glad I don't live it that world.

graciegirl
10-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Did someone actually say they feel superior to someone with a tattoo? I have a small tattoo and I take offence to that comment. Glad I don't live it that world.

Is it a large skull on your throat?

graciegirl
10-01-2014, 12:15 PM

I do profile. Most people do. They should. We cannot defend ourselves or run as fast as we once could. We have to make judgments about others on their appearance. It would be dangerous not too.

Bump.

How you feel about body decorations is a matter of your own personal taste. Naturally we all secretly think WE have good taste.

Patty55
10-01-2014, 12:26 PM
I'm so glad you responded this way and confirmed what I always imagined. As far as being negative about the generation ahead of me, absolutely not. Many are the finest, most compassionate, patriotic, level-headed, considerate, reliable people ther are, but then again, many are not. ( just like every generation) I'm just enough of a realist to know that some folks just have lives that are different than mine.
Sooooo, getting back to ink, if Dr. Who is the best cancer or cardiac surgeon around and he has sleeves and a huge cross accross his back, I'm hoping I'm lucky enough to have him as my doctor.
"There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. 'Good pride' represents our dignity and self-respect. 'Bad pride' is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance."

John C. Maxwell

I guess it's a good thing Dr. Who is a gifted surgeon because they would never allow him to make a latte at Starbucks or enlist in the USMC.

Indydealmaker
10-01-2014, 12:30 PM

If you read this entire thread, you will find that no one made the comment which you find offensive.

Indydealmaker
10-01-2014, 12:32 PM
After reading this entire thread, I can say that I now know why at least some of today's students are so confused by the "real" world after having been nurtured by some seriously deficient mentors.

Walter123
10-01-2014, 12:37 PM
If you read this entire thread, you will find that no one made the comment which you find offensive.

If YOU read this entire thread......You might want to read post #88.

"I do feel superior.....AND I would look very out of place in the world I live in with the friends and family I have with tattoos."

jbdlfan
10-01-2014, 12:41 PM
After reading this entire thread, I can say that I now know why at least some of today's students are so confused by the "real" world after having been nurtured by some seriously deficient mentors.

Ha! Now that is funny. :pepper2:
Real world? What exactly would you describe as the real world? The Villages?????
Um.....the tattoo folks I describe live in the real world, quite possible took care of you or your friends. Wierd, huh?
And if you didn't see a comment regarding "feeling" superior, I highly suggest you re-read some posts. But hey, what do I know, I'm just a tattoed teacher here in Florida. (psst. even some teachers at the Charter School have tattoos, YIKES)

MikeV
10-01-2014, 12:57 PM
You may be right but if my granddaughter brought home someone who looked like that I'd have a fit and a bad spell and run up and down the wall.

I'd pay money to see that!!! :2excited:

Patty55
10-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Real world? What exactly would you describe as the real world? The Villages?????
Um.....the tattoo folks I describe live in the real world, quite possible took care of you or your friends. Wierd, huh?
And if you didn't see a comment regarding "feeling" superior, I highly suggest you re-read some posts. But hey, what do I know, I'm just a tattoed teacher here in Florida. (psst. even some teachers at the Charter School have tattoos, YIKES)

TV=Reality, not sure, but it is their reality. I think it's great to have tattoed teachers at the Charter School, creates a little diversity. You know that Gary Morse thinks of everything.

I grew up in a town that was lacking in diversity. I don't know if it was intentional but we had a diverse faculty. We had a black, an Indian (y'know from India)we even had one from TN. During the 60's this exposure helped round us out.

I'm not much of a believer in reality anyway, I lean more towards believing in perception.

Indydealmaker
10-01-2014, 12:59 PM
If YOU read this entire thread......You might want to read post #88.

"I do feel superior.....AND I would look very out of place in the world I live in with the friends and family I have with tattoos."

I guess that you have to know Gracie to understand her. I understood Gracie to mean that she has superior judgement which would be appropriate in this context.

graciegirl
10-01-2014, 01:02 PM
I'd pay money to see that!!! :2excited:
It ain't purty. And since the father and grandfather in this family is a little "soft" on the kids. Someone has to be the bad guy. My family calls me "the warden".

Parenting is not for sissies.

Indydealmaker
10-01-2014, 01:07 PM

I stand firm that no one said they were superior in the way that you all are interpreting it. Superior judgement, yes.

Superior judgement is what is lacking when ink is displayed where all can see. It will limit your opportunities in life. That is the "real" world of which I speak. The one where you need to actually get a job. If any of my employees have ink, it is not where it can be seen. I will not allow questionable judgement to have a negative effect on my business.

A veteran's ink is tantamount to a right of passage. Those that would try to justify publicly visible ink are enablers and I would not consider that a desirable quality in a teacher.

GaryW
10-01-2014, 01:15 PM
I would say that most people profile. Most people will not admit it,... Kinda like being racial. Most people I know will not tell you they are,, but they act it alot. Nothing wrong with profiling somonene. It is done all the time. People are profiled on race, religion, looks, cloths they have on. Ahhhhh that lady has a coach purse,,, she is snobby and well off.. It is done for so many reasons by all. Nothing wrong with it, as long as it does not break any laws or if done to be down right mean or insensitive.

We are getting a little carried away with this thread. Just like a cop profiling someone driving a car because they are black or yellow or red or white, or it has big wheels,,, its a Low-Rider or one bad a** hooptie..

It is a part of us and will always be. Heck ever been on a airplane and see an Arab after 9-11. What would go thru the average persons mind?????

Would I hire a person with Skulls all over his face or on the neck.. Most likely not due to business. That is what any employer would think. Does it mean that person is a axe murderer? Not Even....

Just a little food for thought.

And I also understand Gracie Girl.. She is the best!!!! :beer3:

Patty55
10-01-2014, 01:17 PM
My sister had a house painter who had a do-it-yourself tat saying "Led Zepelin". Somewhere along the way I guess he realized he spelled it wrong so he put one of those caret things to add the missing letter.

I don't think it was a rush to judgement when we thought him an idiot.

Walter123
10-01-2014, 01:36 PM
I guess that you have to know Gracie to understand her. I understood Gracie to mean that she has superior judgement which would be appropriate in this context.

If you say so. I can only comment on what someone writes....and that's what she wrote. Nice of you for looking out for her though.

Walter123
10-01-2014, 01:37 PM
I stand firm that no one said they were superior in the way that you all are interpreting it. Superior judgement, yes.

Superior judgement is what is lacking when ink is displayed where all can see. It will limit your opportunities in life. That is the "real" world of which I speak. The one where you need to actually get a job. If any of my employees have ink, it is not where it can be seen. I will not allow questionable judgement to have a negative effect on my business.

A veteran's ink is tantamount to a right of passage. Those that would try to justify publicly visible ink are enablers and I would not consider that a desirable quality in a teacher.

Thanks again for explaining what someone else means.

Walter123
10-01-2014, 01:38 PM
My sister had a house painter who had a do-it-yourself tat saying "Led Zepelin". Somewhere along the way I guess he realized he spelled it wrong so he put one of those caret things to add the missing letter.

I don't think it was a rush to judgement when we thought him an idiot.

LOL, there was an all girl band in VT called Lez Zepelin.

Patty55
10-01-2014, 01:42 PM
LOL, there was an all girl band in VT called Lez Zepelin.

Did they it wrong intentionally?

Walter123
10-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Did they it wrong intentionally?

Absolutly.......all GIRL band.....Lez Zeppelin. Get it? They were very good too! Saw them at Higher Ground.

Patty55
10-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Absolutly.......all GIRL band.....Lez Zeppelin. Get it? They were very good too! Saw them at Higher Ground.

I get that part, you spelled zeppelin with one "p".

Have you ever been a house painter?

jbdlfan
10-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Those that would try to justify publicly visible ink are enablers and I would not consider that a desirable quality in a teacher.[/QUOTE]

Well, a bit off topic but I'll glady respond to this. Not sure I have to publicly "justify" visible ink to anyone. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I teach my students to think for themselves. My job is to teach them to think critically and consider all sides of an issue before deciding. I ask them to do their own research and not trust the views of everyone they see or hear. But yes, I see absolutely no problem with a person displaying a tattoo and I am glad I live in a country that gives us that right. But thank you for your moral judgement. I think I might stop on the way home from school and get some new ink, "Live and Let Live." I know, crazy hippie type.....

Patty55
10-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Those that would try to justify publicly visible ink are enablers and I would not consider that a desirable quality in a teacher.

Well, a bit off topic but I'll glady respond to this. Not sure I have to publicly "justify" visible ink to anyone. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I teach my students to think for themselves. My job is to teach them to think critically and consider all sides of an issue before deciding. I ask them to do their own research and not trust the views of everyone they see or hear. But yes, I see absolutely no problem with a person displaying a tattoo and I am glad I live in a country that gives us that right. But thank you for your moral judgement. I think I might stop on the way home from school and get some new ink, "Live and Let Live." I know, crazy hippie type.....[/QUOTE]

Crazy hippie type? Hardly. All the hippie types I grew up with snapped out of it.

I find it ironic that you claim teach your students to think for themselves and consider all sides...(yada yada), yet decide that people who don't agree with you are wrong.

Not sure what or where you teach, but just so you know I don't think getting an extreme tattoo is really included in the Bill of Rights.

gomoho
10-01-2014, 05:58 PM
"Much to do about nothing" Who the hell really cares if someone wants to wear ink? Does it really affect your quality of life? Didn't think so - give it a rest already. As a child of the 60's I always encouraged my children to be free spirits - yes, they both wear ink and had piercings, but they are also two of the most awesome, productive citizens I know. Well educated, extremely tolerant, inclusive loving. I am proud of them and the people they became.

GaryW
10-02-2014, 03:45 AM
"Much to do about nothing" Who the hell really cares if someone wants to wear ink? Does it really affect your quality of life? Didn't think so - give it a rest already. As a child of the 60's I always encouraged my children to be free spirits - yes, they both wear ink and had piercings, but they are also two of the most awesome, productive citizens I know. Well educated, extremely tolerant, inclusive loving. I am proud of them and the people they became.

:bigbow:

Walter123
10-02-2014, 06:07 AM
I get that part, you spelled zeppelin with one "p".

Have you ever been a house painter?

Yeah, I picked up on the missing "P" the second time around but I don't get the house painter thing. Inquiring minds want to know.

DougB
10-02-2014, 06:08 AM
I have tattoos, but after reading some of these posts maybe I should get one more; a giant "L" across my forehead.

jbdlfan
10-02-2014, 07:11 AM
Crazy hippie type? Hardly. All the hippie types I grew up with snapped out of it.

I find it ironic that you claim teach your students to think for themselves and consider all sides...(yada yada), yet decide that people who don't agree with you are wrong.

Not sure what or where you teach, but just so you know I don't think getting an extreme tattoo is really included in the Bill of Rights.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the Civics lesson, seriously. :shocked:
But I'm not sure of your point about thinking criticaly. I never said anyone that disagrees with me is wrong, I just DISAGREE with them. So, it's cool, have ink or not, I know where myself and apparently 45 million other Americans stand: Tattoo Statistics | Statistic Brain (http://www.statisticbrain.com/tattoo-statistics/)

Taltarzac725
10-02-2014, 09:32 AM

I got a postcard from one of the best trial lawyers in the country when I was looking for help with my 224 613 Project. This is Gerry Spence. Google him. I will put up his picture some time. Wyoming Personal Injury Attorneys, Gerry Spence, The Spence Law Firm (http://www.spencelawyers.com/attorneys/partners/gerry-l-spence/)

I will have to put the front of this Gerry Spence postcard onto my Photobucket array-- (working on getting this without my name showing). http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/taltarzac725/6-6-1996PostcardfromGerrySpence224613Project001_zps8ed 73f92.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/taltarzac725/media/6-6-1996PostcardfromGerrySpence224613Project001_zps8ed 73f92.jpg.html)

He does dress quite differently from the lawyers I saw in their various suits in Twin Cities courtrooms including the many law students.

My mind is being changed a bit about tattoo wearers. I do not have any but do agree that you should not judge a book by its cover. My two nieces and nephew have tattoos and I remember one talking about getting a Marilyn Monroe which is a piercing where Monroe had her beauty mark.

GaryW
10-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Tattoos can be ugly or can be really beautiful depending on where it is put and they type of tattoo. ALot depends on the artist. The same tattoo will come out differently and look much different if done by a really great artist or some one doing it in the back ally.
It should be a expression of ones desires or life experience. I would not get a spider web on my elbow or a neck of face tattoo. That is just me.

I know of a person that has a whole back piece done and covers the left arm to the elbow. I would never judge this person because of that. It might hinder employment in some places due to rules. But I will tell you this person is a U.S. Marshall.

The other thing is the whole ear piece deal, with a big round thing instead of the simple earing. For some reason, I do not get that deal.....

graciegirl
10-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Tattoos can be ugly or can be really beautiful depending on where it is put and they type of tattoo. ALot depends on the artist. The same tattoo will come out differently and look much different if done by a really great artist or some one doing it in the back ally.
It should be a expression of ones desires or life experience. I would not get a spider web on my elbow or a neck of face tattoo. That is just me.

I know of a person that has a whole back piece done and covers the left arm to the elbow. I would never judge this person because of that. It might hinder employment in some places due to rules. But I will tell you this person is a U.S. Marshall.

The other thing is the whole ear piece deal, with a big round thing instead of the simple earing. For some reason, I do not get that deal.....

Gary. I made up my mind about you a long time ago. You are a terrific person, a hard worker, a dedicated parent, a responsible employer and someone with common sense, good taste and a sense of humor. That thing about class I wrote? YOU have it, kiddo.

Cedwards38
10-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Isn't a lot of this discussion just generational? Twenty years from now, when the current younger generation is in total charge, these values will, in all probability, be very different from today. It reminds me of my own youth when my father berated The Beatles for their hair, and Elvis for his "immoral" motions while singing!:duck:

De Lis
10-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Certainly explains the success of the Bernie Madoff types.
http://menacesdamour.m.e.pic.centerblog.net/f0yhwma0.jpg

Good one!

Wandatime
10-03-2014, 01:36 PM
I had a huge port wine birthmark on my upper arm that I was so self-conscious about I would not wear sleeveless shirts or dresses, and even wore a t-shirt over my bathing suit at the beach. Finally, in my 40's, I started to get laser treatments and it is almost completely faded. That God-given tattoo certainly took care of me ever wanting a man-made one.

I do have friends with tattoos. I also have some friends that have their belly buttons pierced. I am not doing that either. :laugh: