PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Rocket

redwitch
04-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Johnny Rocket's is right by Lake Sumter Landing -- it's a decent hamburger joint.

samhass
04-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Ir would be more decent if they had a better cleaning staff. I took my son, granddaughter and another couple in one evening. We ordered and drinks (coffees and shakes) were brought to the table. We started looking around at the nasty floor, paid our bill and left. Yes, it was at the end of the day, but I don't think a restaurant should ever have visibly dirty floors. (Yes, I am a clean freak but it was my 27 yo son who objected the most.)

Johnny Rocket's is right by Lake Sumter Landing -- it's a decent hamburger joint.

Donna
04-06-2008, 03:11 PM
I agree with Samhass...If the floors are dirty and they are visible to the public, imagine the kitchen?http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/rolleye.gif (http://www.millan.net)

KathieI
04-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Ir would be more decent if they had a better cleaning staff. We started looking around at the nasty floor, paid our bill and left.

Yes, I took a bunch of family members there back in November and wasn't impressed at all with their cleanliness (or lack thereof), and service. So they're not on my list any more as a place I will frequent. I think I even remember sending back the silverware, which was horribly dirty.

Just my opinion!

Kath

samhass
04-06-2008, 03:40 PM
I took the kids there because of the "entertainment". I enjoy watching the waitstaff dance.
It does amaze me that TV doesn't have more oversight and demand that all restaurant facilities are kept to a certain standard. The manager of the place should be called onto the corporate carpet.

captain1202
04-06-2008, 05:06 PM
...or the health inspector :cop: :cop: :cop:

villages07
04-06-2008, 07:01 PM
There's another Villages related website that includes links to recent health dept inspections of restaurants:

http://www.thevillagesfl.us/

Here's the link to latest JRockets...it's been awhile compared to some of the other establishments.

https://www.myfloridalicense.com/inspectionDates.asp?SID=&id=2812112

redwitch
04-06-2008, 07:20 PM
I've found it to be hit or miss on service but the one time the service was truly awful and I complained to the manager, the entire table got free meals.

As to the cleanliness, I think any restaurant that has truly kid friendly foods (like burgers and good shakes) will be dirtier -- kids make messes. If it busy enough, it really is hard to find the time to clean the floors. Few restaurants clean the floors while it is open unless it is very slow -- too much of a risk of someone slipping on a wet floor. However, the area around the table should be swept when it is bussed. That is very doable and there is no excuse for not doing that.

redwitch
04-06-2008, 07:33 PM
What I want to know is how a post that was in a thread (and simply a reply to someone asking where Johnny Rocket's was) became a whole new thread!!!!!

Barefoot
04-06-2008, 07:36 PM
I don't think a restaurant should ever have visibly dirty floors.

Samhass :agree:
I do judge a restaurant by its cleanliness. As Donna says, if the floors are dirty, imagine the kitchen.

samhass
04-06-2008, 08:12 PM
The subject heading says "Johnny Rocket". I posted a comment about Johnny Rocket's.
I've seen many threads hijacked and I don't think this qualifies as a hijacked post. As for it being excusable for JR's to be nasty because kids go there....I don't think so. They don't have to mop the floor constantly. Sweeping/picking up the debris would help, though.
I didn't mean to rain on your parade about a prefreeze meeting place. Enjoy!

What I want to know is how a post that was in a thread (and simply a reply to someone asking where Johnny Rocket's was) became a whole new thread!!!!!

redwitch
04-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Sam, someone actually took my comment and moved it here. It was in a thread as a reply to someone asking where JR's was. It was not even a separate post. It wasn't hijacked -- it was flat out stolen and, quite honestly, I'm not exactly thrilled with whatever moderator moved it. If I'd wanted to do a thread asking about JR's, I would have started my own thread. I really don't appreciate threads I have not created being ascribed to me.

As I said, when I eat at JR's, I don't eat inside. I've never found it spotless, but never filthy. Some mess I expect when little ones eat in a restaurant. I also expect staff to sweep and, if necessary, at least spot mop. Hopefully, the day you were there was an abberration.

renielarson
04-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Does this mean that some of you will not join us at JR's because of the issues stated above? If the FREEZE pre-meeting were held somewhere else, would that make a difference?

I'd like to meet as many of you as possible and I don't have any preference as to where.

nONIE
04-06-2008, 11:47 PM
I have been to JR's quite a few times but have eaten outside each time. Their burgers and shakes are really very good. Would it help if we were all outside? (but then theres still the issue of cleanliness in their kitchen.) Well Im still alive after eating there so I personally wouldnt mind going back again but Ill go wherever everyone decides to.

Hyacinth Bucket
04-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Hi,

I did not know there were plans to meet before the Freeze, please let me know where and when -

Thanks,

HB

Does this mean that some of you will not join us at JR's because of the issues stated above? If the FREEZE pre-meeting were held somewhere else, would that make a difference?

I'd like to meet as many of you as possible and I don't have any preference as to where.

renielarson
04-07-2008, 12:02 AM
There will be a lunch on Thursday, April 10th, at 2:00 pm at Johnny Rocket's. This will be a multi-purpose luncheon -- to meet Brightspot and, hopefully, Susan&Tom since none of them will be here for the Crisper's get together and to discuss the freeze. Hope many of you can make it.

That was the original post HB...but with all the debate going on I'm not sure if the plans remain the same. I plan to be there unless I'm told otherwise.

villages07
04-07-2008, 12:11 AM
now, I'm confused....guess this post is the Johnny Rocket restaurant discussion (since it got moved to the restaurant thread).

Tony...you're getting a little too ambitious with your desire to keep threads pure...folks are getting lost when trying to find things. We appreciate the intent of your efforts, but, a little hijacking here and there is not a terrible thing. So, when you do split and move a thread, can you insert a comment into the original posting in the new thread to indicate this has happened.

An aside (and I will probably post this in the freeze thread)..... lunch at 2pm and freeze at 5pm???? that's a lot of time in between. Perhaps the 'lunch' time could be moved closer to freeze time (maybe 3:30???) so that one event can flow into the other??? Just a thought.

Rokinronda
04-07-2008, 12:39 AM
My thoughts also. 3:30 does work better as I would have to hang around till the freeze. or is it ok if we arrive unfashionably very late??

nONIE
04-07-2008, 12:52 AM
:agree:

redwitch
04-07-2008, 01:01 AM
OK, I am going to be a brat. I planned this luncheon. The 2:00 pm start time stands. The plan was always to eat outside. That way, as people show up, it is easier to get tables together, etc. The location stands unless Bright or Susan very specifically ask me to change things. Odds are we will be yakking and having a great time until 5:00 or so anyway. And, no, fashionably late is not okay -- a little late, yes, but please not too late. Discussing the freeze is only a very small part of this -- most of the discussion will be held at Barnes & Noble.

Repeat after me, this is meet Brightspot and Susan&Tom -- they will be leaving before the Crisper's get together.

Rokinronda
04-07-2008, 01:06 AM
You are absolutely right, red, thanks for reminding me how time flew by last TOTV get-together. I am looking forward to meeting Susan, Tom, and bright. See you as close to 2 as possible!!

Hyacinth Bucket
04-07-2008, 02:18 AM
Hi, we usually do not stay at Crisper's for 2 1/2 hours.

It seems to me if people can not get there at 2 pm, then come when you can. That is what happens at Crispers Red.

I understand what you are saying about the tables, but I do not think it will be crowded at 3:30 - just my thoughts.

Ae we wearing name tags?

HB

redwitch
04-07-2008, 04:58 PM
No to name tags. Sorry, HB, but I totally disagree with you. Coming whenever you like to a planned lunch is not the same thing as a get together at Crisper's and this is a planned lunch. Now, if you're saying I may drop by at 3:30 to have a soda with y'all, that's different. Then you take the risk of people being gone. A 2:00 pm lunch is a 2:00 pm is a 2:00 pm lunch.

Rokinronda
04-07-2008, 08:21 PM
I won't be gone. maybe just sitting by my lonesome self. I can not do 2 round trips in my golf cart. HB, I remember you, just look for all alone rokinronda!

redwitch
04-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Ronda, the odds of sitting there by your lonesome are probably somewhere between slim and none but that doesn't mean we won't get up and wander together. Remember BS and S&T are visiting. Someone might just HAVE to show them a favorite shop or something (don't look at me -- I avoid shopping as much as humanly possible).

chuckinca
03-07-2009, 08:13 PM
I have been dying for a real chocolate shake and heard that Johnny Rocket's served a good one.

Went there a few nights ago just to get a chocolate shake. We got right in. The place was about 3/4 full. The waitress came to our table in reasonable time and said that the wait for food was 45 minutes!

Lucky that I only wanted a shake and she said the wait for that was only a few minutes. The shake came in about 15 minutes, no big deal as I has having fun putting nickels in the jukebox. The shake was alot better than any other I have had around here but still not an outstanding shake. Priced at $4.95; I probably will learn to curb my craving for a shake.

Oh, and by the time I got the shake the place was about half full and they were still telling people that food was 45 minutes away and most were turning around and leaving. Wonder why they can't serve burgers any faster?

aln
03-07-2009, 09:03 PM
chuckinca

Have you tried the shakes & malts at OLLIE'S?

They have one called the BOSTON MALT (or shake).

Pick your flavor, say chocolate; then they'll put a small sundae on top of it, say strawberry !:icon_hungry:

chuckinca
03-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Sounds like folks in bean town can't make up their minds. If you want a chocolate shake why would you want strawberries on it; same with coffee, if you want coffee why put half a cup of milk in it?

Boomer
03-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Sounds like folks in bean town can't make up their minds. If you want a chocolate shake why would you want strawberries on it; same with coffee, if you want coffee why put half a cup of milk in it?

Hey Chuck,

In Cincinnati we put chili on top of our spaghetti. You should try it. :pepper2:

But we never put chili in our shakes or malts.

Boomer

chuckinca
03-07-2009, 10:31 PM
I like chili on a hamburger, but putting chili on spaghetti might make my Italian relatives disown me.

dadspet
03-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Last time we went to JRs the service was awful! It wasn't real busy and we waited to get our order taken then waited 45 minutes for 2 hamburgs > We really weren't in ann awful hurry but finally left after without our hamburgs and decided it just wasn't worth the wait! Take a book with you!

nONIE
03-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Everytime we have been at Johnny Rockets the service was poor, the food was medicore at best, and an x=employee was throwing his leftover food on the grill to be humorous. barf

chelsea24
03-08-2009, 12:43 PM
But, I still love the milkshakes. And Ms. Nonie, we've had some wonderful gab fests there! :laugh:

nONIE
03-08-2009, 12:51 PM
true, true, true! I would sure go back for a milkshake and a gab fest!!!:laugh:

JerryM
03-08-2009, 01:02 PM
I wish I read these remarks this AM. I just had lunch (at the counter) and NEVER had such slow service. It took over 30 minutes to get my sandwich and I had to ask for it twice. The waiter finally asked me if everything was "okay" only after I finished and I felt guilty not leaving him a (10%) tip. Normally I am a 20% tipper.

There were 5 active wait staff people and less then 10 customers. There was no excuse for bad service.

Jerry M

mzmom3
08-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Steak and Shake make great hamburgers and terrific shakes. There's one not far from TV.

Indy-Guy
08-21-2009, 02:17 PM
I heard that Panera was going in where Johnny Rockets. A guy that was in the foursome that was next to me waiting to go out on the course was who made the statement.

I have no clue who he was or if he even knows what he was talking about. But found it to be interesting.

At this point I pass it on only as a rumor.

gratton
08-22-2009, 06:06 AM
About 3 years ago when D.Q was at the Spanish Springs side on 27 we use to go there, When talking to the owner he said that he also owned Johnny Rockets and was opening a D.Q on 466, It wasn't long after that the DQ on 27 closed and then the one on 466 also closed, I think this says something about the management. Does anybody else remember them they use to play 50s music on thursday nights (a DJ)

jtdraig
09-07-2009, 03:36 PM
We moved here four years ago...Johnny Rocket's was a place to go. Decent food, good service, prompt cleanup from a little lady who took pride in her job, staff doing the boogie and trying to sing, and the end result was a great time for all. Grandkids used to LOVE to go there....

Fast forward to now and there is no comparison. Johnny Rocket's is over. Current lessee is trying to get out. JR could be one of the fun places again if someone managed it properly and returned it to the days of yore...but there is an old saying "you can never go back" and I am afraid that's true.

What a shame.

:beer3:

ricthemic
02-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Just had lunch at Johnny Rockets, Sumter Landing. My friend and I sat at the counter and ordered the same thing (separate checks). We waited over thirty minutes (counter and tables more than half empty). He got his food and finished it before I got mine. Had to ask twice were mine was. Finally got my burger it was burnt beyond well done. I told the waitress this was my first and last visit. Waitress said they were having staffing problems. Not sure if she just meant today or everyday. I felt bad for her and told her not to worry but she should tell the manager... She told me she was one of the managers. and took 90 cents off my bill. $11.00 with tip, absolutely not worth it. Such a great location too

chuckinca
02-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Apparently everyday.

billstrickland
02-08-2010, 03:53 PM
I was in Johnny Rockets last week and the service was horrendous. The place was about one fourth full and it took them 45 minutes to serve me an original and fries and coke, and I was at the counter. And then it took another 10 minutes to get someone to give me a check to pay. I saw food sitting on the pick-up rack for as long as 15 minutes. When I said something about my food sitting there for 10 minutes before it was brought, the reply was; "bet your fries aren't hot". When I said something to the manager he replied, "sorry you feel that way"

ricthemic
02-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Same thing happened to me and after reading the above post and others, no way they ever get another chance. What amazes me is they have argueably one of the best locations in TV for that type of restaurant and they haven't got the brains to offer a decent product.
Is there any chance Johnny Rockets is government run?
Sorry inadvance for the editorial.

Allen
02-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Is there any chance Johnny Rockets is government run? Sorry inadvance for the editorial.

Don't apologize... That was funny!

What is sad is that during our Lifestyle Preview week the service at Johnny Rockets was the one and only disappointment in all of TV.

I don't want to "pile on", but I sure hope they get their act together soon. It's hard to beat a good burger and a "real" shake for lunch!

784caroline
02-13-2010, 05:27 PM
If you want to talk to the Regional Manager of Johnny Rockets you should call Mike Mohyla at 949-322-4059. He is based out of Ft Lauderdale (I believe) and is new to FLorida. This Johny Rockets is a Corporate Owned facility and Mike said he plans to be here in the next 2-3 weeks. I was gracious in telling him that his company probably has one of the best spots in the Villages and they are letting a good thing slip through their hands with poor maintenance and lack of adequate management oversight and concern.

If he heard from more people who have had concers with Johny Rockets, he may take a closer look when he is here.

LittleDog
10-08-2011, 04:51 PM
I know people have been down on Johnny Rockets and from what I remember they have new ownership or new management. In any case after the Italian Fest parade the wife and I stopped in their for a meal. It was fairly crowded but we were waited on promptly. I ordered a vanilla malt and a chili dog which included fries. My wife ordered a hamburger with onions and cheese. We did not have to wait a long time for our meal as their was plenty of kitchen staff working. The malt was delicious. The hamburger and chili dog was what you could expect, not gourmet but OK. I thought the chili on the dog was a little too salty. My wife said the hamburger was fine. The menu has been changed some as my favorite hamburger (can't recall the name) is no longer on the menu.

I just wanted to report our experience yesterday. I hope that they have solved whatever problems they had before.

John

chuckinca
10-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Did the staff do a 50's song dance like they used to do?

LittleDog
10-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Did the staff do a 50's song dance like they used to do?

Not while we were there.

John

cappyjon431
11-10-2011, 10:09 PM
We thought we would give them another try today after not going back for over a year (last time we were very disappointed).

The service was much improved.

The restaurant was much cleaner this time.

The food was better this time. Last time it was luke warm, this time it was hot. Good quality and large portions, neither my wife nor I could finish
everything.

Overall, it was a much better experience, and we will probably go back. That being said, I like the burgers at Five Guys better. I guess it will come down to whichever is geographically closer whenever I get that craving for a burger.

GaDawg
11-10-2011, 10:54 PM
We thought we would give them another try today after not going back for over a year (last time we were very disappointed).

The service was much improved.

The restaurant was much cleaner this time.

The food was better this time. Last time it was luke warm, this time it was hot. Good quality and large portions, neither my wife nor I could finish
everything.

Overall, it was a much better experience, and we will probably go back. That being said, I like the burgers at Five Guys better. I guess it will come down to whichever is geographically closer whenever I get that craving for a burger.

Our kids and grandkids were down for a visit this past weekend and we decided to give Johnny Rockets a try. We had read where it was under new ownership. We were not disappointed. Even talked with Dave, one of the new owners about the improvements we saw in the establishment. They are trying hard to overcome the past and IMHO are doing a good job. It was kid friendly, service was great, food was good, and the kiddies loved the dancing and singing staff! Was a fun time for our group, we will go back again.

Loveithere
11-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Our kids and grandkids were down for a visit this past weekend and we decided to give Johnny Rockets a try. We had read where it was under new ownership. We were not disappointed. Even talked with Dave, one of the new owners about the improvements we saw in the establishment. They are trying hard to overcome the past and IMHO are doing a good job. It was kid friendly, service was great, food was good, and the kiddies loved the dancing and singing staff! Was a fun time for our group, we will go back again.

It is wonderful to read a positive report. Too many people are always negative.

hedoman
11-11-2011, 04:20 AM
Had dinner there last night, sat utside and listened to Cactus Jack and the Cadillacs. The milkshakes were "the bomb" and I haven't had that good of a shake since I was a kid. Chocolate peanut butter! The burger was great and wife's veggie burger good too with great fries. We got there at 5, sat immeditely and meal was served in 10 minutes. One of the brothers (new owner, recognized him from the picture in the Sun) came by a few times asking how everything was.

All and all an AWESOME time and we WILL be back.

gatherer47
11-11-2011, 08:49 AM
had a fine lunch there this week-service excellent,food good,clean-a nice job by new owners and staff

2BNTV
11-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Had dinner there last night, sat utside and listened to Cactus Jack and the Cadillacs. The milkshakes were "the bomb" and I haven't had that good of a shake since I was a kid. Chocolate peanut butter! The burger was great and wife's veggie burger good too with great fries. We got there at 5, sat immeditely and meal was served in 10 minutes. One of the brothers (new owner, recognized him from the picture in the Sun) came by a few times asking how everything was.

All and all an AWESOME time and we WILL be back.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm......:icon_hungry:

It's nice to hear the new owners have restored customer service with good food.

tap190
12-01-2011, 09:00 PM
What a great experience my wife and I had at Johnny Rockets on 12-01-11. Great Service, Great Food and Great Attitude !!!! What a difference from our "last " visit !!! Thanks to new owners . --Pat and Kathy

Challenger
12-02-2011, 05:36 PM
based on sveral recent posts here, We decided to try Johnny Rocket's today. Because of poor service, bad food and dirty conditions at JR we had sworn off forever.
Today was a pleasant suprise, Good service, food acceptable and store was clean. Hope they can keep it up for the long run.

rubicon
12-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Let's hope that can stay on a roll?????

Vinny
12-05-2011, 12:29 AM
Was unaware that they had new owners. My wife and I were big fans of the franchise and frequented them in various states. When we came here last year the bugers we ordered tasted funny so we avoided the place. A year later we went back but thought the burgers were just so-so and not up to par with other Johnny Rockettes we have visited. Love the shakes. That was about 5 months ago though. I am not usually fussy about my food as far as it being dry or stuff like that but when it actually tastes funny that is where I draw the line. :)

2BNTV
12-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Let's hope that can stay on a roll?????

No pun intended, right? :jester: