PDA

View Full Version : kAYAK CLUB

bsliny
04-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Is there a Kayak club in the Villages

nONIE
04-07-2008, 02:26 PM
BSLINY,

I know there is definitely a Kayak club in TV, however it is not listed in the http://www.virginiatrace.com/links/ClubsListing.pdf. I will PM you the handle of one of the members.Good luck!

villages07
04-07-2008, 02:27 PM
BS....

You had to assume the answer to this question was yes.....what sport, interest, hobby, nationality, etc doesn't have a club in the Villages. Here's their website:

http://thevillagespaddlingclub.com/

Happy Paddling.

another Linda
04-11-2008, 12:09 AM
We were certainly interested in the kayak club, but weren't sure we would be able to do their outings. Paddling for 5 hours is big time!

chuckinca
05-13-2008, 06:05 AM
I have recently been telling my wife that I wanted to start kayaking around and she said NO WAY am I getting in the water with the gators!

Any experience with this issue?

swede621
05-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Is there a Kayak club in the Villages
I went to the last meeting on 5/20/08 and they were NOT taking new members nor did they have a "wait list". :(

Just Susan
05-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Sounds like a 2nd Kayaking Club is about to form! But what about the gators??? That is a rather scary aspect to what sounds like a great time. How about Crystal River? I don't remember seeing gators there and the water was so clear...then again that was in the 70's. Things may have changed.

LindaManson
05-25-2008, 11:19 PM
As a year long member of the Canoe and Kayak club, I can say that we have only seen gators on 2 of our many trips, and they were not interested in us. We have been told that there has never been an issue with the gators. As for 5 hour paddles, most of our paddles are 3 to 4 hours and as long as there is any current, the issue ususally is staying in the main stream and not getting caught in underbrush. It is a wonderful way to see the true Floirda.

As for closed membership: Yes currently membership is open only to those who are members and are renewing memberships. If there are less than 400 people who renew, then membership will be opened up again. right now we have 450+ and only 25+ have renewed.

But hey!!! a 2nd club is not a bad idea. We have two photography clubs, lots of different craft groups and don't get me started on the many card, majhong, and board games groups out there. We even have several biking clubs.

You just have to have people step up to the plate and be willing to take responsibility for organizing trips and dealing with safety, finding places to go. The canoe and kayak club has more saftey issues and liability issues than your regular TV organizations

carol51
08-24-2008, 01:06 AM
In Re to gators: I live on Paradise Lake and paddleboat and kayak several times a week and I have never seen a gator in that Lake. There was a very small gator in Oak ( I think that's the name or Lone Oak) Lake last winter but I think he's been removed.