PDA

View Full Version : Movie Recommendation

uujudy
04-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Young@Heart is scheduled to be released sometime this month, so it might show up at the Villages movie theaters. The movie is a documentary about a chorus of senior citizens in Massachusetts who sing rock music. We saw the screening at Sundance this year, and I highly recommend it! It was an absolute delight! Money well spent, and I'd pay to see it again (not a scientific way to rate movies, but it's the way I rate movies.. :pop:

Now as Village People, I expect your audience reaction will be somewhat different from the Sundance audience reaction. On the one hand, it is truly a delightful movie. On the other hand, we had JUST returned from our visit to the Villages, and our response was more like... "So?" Hahah.

If Young@Heart does show at the Villages theaters, I'd be interested in hearing your reviews. Thanks!

PS: We attended the after-screening party and met the choir director/film director and "movie stars." One of the stars gave my hubby a big hug. I was so excited I turned off the camera instead of taking the picture! They should put those camera buttons farther apart! (I do have some pix of the party if anybody wants to see them)

Taltarzac
04-10-2008, 06:53 PM
We should probably try to get this movie to the Villages theaters if they do not bring it. Sounds like their management has to stick to certain distribution agreements from some of the comments made during various film festivals they have had at the Old Mill Playhouse.

In other words, they have to get a film like The Hills Have Eyes 2 even though it may be showing to empty auditoriums much of the time so that they can also show Transformers.

Young at Heart released a few days ago on a US limited run. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1047007/releaseinfo

uujudy
04-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Taltarzac, I didn't think about that. I sure hope you get this movie at one of the theaters. We were all excited when we saw that Fox Searchlight picked up Young@Heart for distribution. Over the years we've seen so many outstanding movies at Sundance, but they never get picked up by the studios, and they never see the light of day... I mean the darkness of theaters ;D :pop:

On the other hand, some movies are absolutely terrible and they're snatched up so fast they're showing in the theaters in 2 weeks. Go figure :dontknow:

Taltarzac
04-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Taltarzac, I didn't think about that. I sure hope you get this movie at one of the theaters. We were all excited when we saw that Fox Searchlight picked up Young@Heart for distribution. Over the years we've seen so many outstanding movies at Sundance, but they never get picked up by the studios, and they never see the light of day... I mean the darkness of theaters ;D :pop:

On the other hand, some movies are absolutely terrible and they're snatched up so fast they're showing in the theaters in 2 weeks. Go figure :dontknow:

Funny this Young at Heart flick is getting a wide run in Germany first starting May 22, 2008. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1047007/releaseinfo

uujudy
04-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Again, go figure :dontknow: LOL Maybe it's because the Germans are such good singers? I would think the Villages would be an ideal venue for this movie, but as you said, there are distribution deals that have to be satisfied.

Taltarzac
04-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Again, go figure :dontknow: LOL Maybe it's because the Germans are such good singers? I would think the Villages would be an ideal venue for this movie, but as you said, there are distribution deals that have to be satisfied.

Looks like Young at Heart opened at only 4 theaters in the US on or just before the April 11-13, 2008 weekend. http://www.the-numbers.com/charts/thisweek.php

uujudy
04-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Aw, too bad. If it ever gets released on video, it's definitely rent-worthy. :pop: :pop: :pop:

Taltarzac
04-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Aw, too bad. If it ever gets released on video, it's definitely rent-worthy. :pop: :pop: :pop:

It might get here eventually. Even though There Will Be Blood never got to the Villages' theaters and it must have been on a lot more than 4 screens when it was released.

Taltarzac
05-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Young@Heart opened in some Tampa Bay area theaters yesterday so maybe it will get to TV eventually. :bigthumbsup:

uujudy
05-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Young@Heart opened in some Tampa Bay area theaters yesterday so maybe it will get to TV eventually. :bigthumbsup:

Ooooh! Good for the folks in Tampa Bay! I hope it plays up your way. :pop: :pop:

Taltarzac
05-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Young@Heart is coming to the Village Rialto Theatre according to their most recent circular. It did not say when though. Not positive it is coming to the Rialto and not to the Old Mill Playhouse but it looks that way from the circular. Call the Rialto to find out at (352) 753-8898.