PDA

View Full Version : brown age spots

conn8757
04-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Has anyone found anything really effective in removing the age spots that appear on faces-I can cover them up some with makeup, but I want a permanent remover - laser therapy???

Barefoot
04-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Conn, good topic, I'm sure we've all got some brown spots!

I've tried laser and since it basically burns off layers of skin, you are left with patches of pink or white skin. And if you happen to ever expose them to sun again, they will burn like a baby's bum.

There are creams available at drug stores, haven't tried them, can anyone make a suggestion?

MarciaK
04-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Tried creams, they don't work.

punkpup
04-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Here are some links which may provide some information.

www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/90829.php
www.drugs.com/cdi/hydroquinone-cream.html
www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/skin/brighten-up-age-spots-1007

The thing about creams with Hydroquinone is that they take a long time to work and you must apply them religiously several times a day in addition it is paramount to protect your skin from the sun. Daily use of hats and sunscreen with a minimum of 30 SPF should become second nature.

That being said.... do I do these things every day. No, that's why the dark stains on my face have not diminished as much as I'd like. My dermatologist said she'd give me a prescription for stronger Hydroquinone cream but I haven't been back to see her yet.

KathieI
04-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Good info, Pup, thanks.

I had the derm freeze the brown spots off recently and some times it worked and other times, it had to be done more than once. The over-the-counter Hydroquinone is not strong enough to accomplish anything and the stronger, prescription version, only worked on small freckles on my face, not much more than that. Not only that, you must be dedicated to use it once or twice a day, and I'm not that dedicated, unfortunately.

Haven't tried the laser but not sure I'd like pink spots on my face, wouldn't look much better than the brown spots. I agree with Pup, the key is to wear hats and use SPF 30+ every day, even if the sun is not out, and that will be the best preventative way to deter these little devils. I have also found that using face makeup with SPF of 25+ is also good as this will again be a deterrent.

samhass
04-14-2008, 04:15 AM
Hey, we're aging. We get spots, fat, droopiness, senility, wrinkles. It's tough to stop the ravages of time. Maybe it's time to look beyond all that and see how wonderful we are as people.

renielarson
04-14-2008, 04:21 AM
:agree: Samhass

But I must say that I do use moisturizers, wrinkle reducers, sunscreen, and whatever else I can to help reverse some signs of aging.

Brown spots...oh heck...they just blend in with all the freckles I have!

Barefoot
04-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Hey, we're aging. We get spots, fat, droopiness, senility, wrinkles. It's tough to stop the ravages of time. Maybe it's time to look beyond all that and see how wonderful we are as people.

Samhass - I agree we should look beyond our aging exteriors! However may I point out that you have to wait ten years to post an opinion since you are still cute and perky, not droopy and wrinkled!!

There are many days when I look in the mirror and my mother looks back. The cosmetics industry makes millions of dollars off Boomers trying to look younger. But as the old saying goes ... there's no sense in closing the barn door after the horse is gone. Or the old grey mare, she ain't what she used to be. Or something. I'm sleep deprived, can you tell.

samhass
04-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Barefoot, you just say that cuz you are my friend. I look in the mirror and see my Father..when he was old. Guess you didn't notice in that huge picture of me that my chin/neck have become as one. I know the droop when I see it. I also look in the mirror and think " Who in the world is that person wrapped around my soul?"

Just Susan
04-14-2008, 04:38 PM
First we are hot and then we are not...and we are supposed to take that lying down????

I'm so glad I am not alone on this. Maybe instead of searching for creams and treatments and diets and physical tortures to reconstruct the outside, we should form a support group to seek out self-acceptance and appreciation of our inner self!!!
:barf: :barf: :barf:
Okay that's the only time you will hear that coming from me. Now where did you say you could buy that cream???
1rnfl

nONIE
04-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Susan, you are hysterical!

Actually I like the idea of the self-acceptance support group, because if all the creams and potions fail ,we can fall back on logic and self acceptance, mabe that will help the suicidal tendencies. LOL

Question: Where do these lovely brown spots come from and why? Is this similiar to an old bruised peach??? Oh Lord, this topic is depressing.

Just Susan
04-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Well Nonie if you really want that I think I can definitely help with that.

Even though my training and career were in architectural design, for the last few year I have been teaching self-esteem to drug and alcohol addicted prostitutes...for real.

If I can help them with their self worth I can certainly shine a little light into the lives of the beautiful women who hang out on this forum.

Self-deprecating humor can be funny, so I use it. But bottom line I think we all know down deep that we are worthwhile women who are aging quite nicely.

KathieI
04-14-2008, 06:36 PM
But bottom line I think we all know down deep that we are worthwhile women who are aging quite nicely.

Susan, how deep do I have to go?? OMG, do I need help!??? Pleaseeeee, help me!!

Kath :redface:

Just Susan
04-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Well Kathie probably not that deep...LA is pretty close to the "Valley" and we Californians know how deep they are. 1rnfl 1rnfl

I'd say your beauty is probably pretty close to the surface.

KathieI
04-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Well Kathie probably not that deep...LA is pretty close to the "Valley" and we Californians know how deep they are. 1rnfl 1rnfl I'd say your beauty is probably pretty close to the surface.

Susan, I was a "valley girl" for the first 25 out of 30 years living in L.A. How do you think I got the "brown spots", all that hot, dry, sunny weather. Kath

P.S. thanks for the compliment "I'd say your beauty is probably pretty close to the surface."

barbjim
04-14-2008, 08:05 PM
I have a friend that went to a Dermatologist and went on a skin regimen of OBAGI. It is quite an extensive program with a number of steps in the morning and the evening and contains a product with some retinal A in it as well. She looked a bit rough for 6 weeks, but when she was finished, her age spots were gone and her faced glowed. Some of the smaller wrinkles, creases, cracks or whatever you call them were gone as well. It is very pricey, however, I have gone to my dermatologist and they raved about it, so I started the regimen today.

Has anyone found anything really effective in removing the age spots that appear on face's can cover them up some with makeup, but I want a permanent remover - laser therapy???

bestmickey
04-14-2008, 08:21 PM
I haven't tried this (yet) since so far, I've only got light brown spots on the backs of my hand. However, I've read that using lemons on the spots will bleach them out.

renielarson
04-14-2008, 10:30 PM
I need to find a lemon wholesaler. Combined with all my freckles, I'll need to take lemon baths!

Hmmmm...perhaps add some vodka and get a big straw ??? ??? ???

samhass
04-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Or....we could just get a magic marker and play connect the dots.

renielarson
04-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Samhass...look at Susan's beef cake in Feminine Forum/Girl Talk...I'll let him play connect the dots all he wants!

samhass
04-15-2008, 12:13 AM
I saw the lad. He just looks young. I like them older, very smart and with a little more padding. I look at him and know that my husband has better legs!
Seriously, at this age I think we all like to see beautiful things..be they male, female or inanimate.

Just Susan
04-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Please ladies, I was merely replying to Bright's request for a variety of cakes. ;)

nONIE
04-15-2008, 12:34 AM
Sam,

Indeed a lad! Its like looking at my son who is adorable but young and inexperienced at life. Older is definitely better, but I suppose its a matter of taste.
Wow, this is getting deep. Talk about a hijack!

Can ya dig up some pictures of sexy old men????

Barefoot
04-15-2008, 02:14 AM
I have a friend that went to a Dermatologist and went on a skin regimen of OBAGI. I started the regimen today.

Never heard of Obagi .. please let us know how it goes.

I used to think (50 years ago) that teenage lads with pimples were to die for! Then I thought 20 and 30 somethings with long hair were heavenly. Now I adore a hefty weathered speciment with lots of laugh lines. It also helps if your vision is failing. ;D

chelsea24
04-15-2008, 02:25 AM
I want all my brown spots to melt together into a lovely tan. :bigthumbsup:

Sexy Old Men! Yikes! Isn't that an oxymoron? :dontknow:

nONIE
04-15-2008, 02:34 AM
Bernie said are we lovely ladies an oxymoron?? :dontknow:

Just Susan
04-15-2008, 02:47 AM
I don't think so Nonie. I looked it up in the dictionary.
It broke it down into two words:
Oxy: Meaning big!
Moron: a synonym for men.

So it must only apply to males as only they could be "big men"

renielarson
04-15-2008, 03:04 AM
Oxymoron?

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh96/renielarson/sexy_men_005.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh96/renielarson/36_19_21-1.gif

nONIE
04-15-2008, 03:13 AM
Bright,

Not quite my type but were getting closer!!! 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Just Susan
04-15-2008, 03:13 AM
http://www.jibjab.com/view/171070

Watch at your own risk.

renielarson
04-15-2008, 03:23 AM
Jibjab...hilarious 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl

Bernie
04-15-2008, 03:23 AM
For the womens eys only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9-j3Kk8Etk&NR=1

renielarson
04-15-2008, 03:27 AM
How am I ever gonna get to sleep tonight with all these sexy handsome men (oxymorons) floating around in my head ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Stop it, NOW! http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh96/renielarson/36_11_61.gifhttp://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh96/renielarson/36_11_61.gifhttp://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh96/renielarson/36_11_61.gif

KathieI
04-15-2008, 03:33 AM
You guys been eating too much sugar today? Or maybe its the crab cakes??? I'd stop eating them if I were you.

Just Susan
04-15-2008, 03:35 AM
How am I ever gonna get to sleep tonight with all these sexy handsome men (oxymorons) floating around in my head ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Stop it, NOW! http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh96/renielarson/36_11_61.gifhttp://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh96/renielarson/36_11_61.gifhttp://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh96/renielarson/36_11_61.gif

:agree: :agree:

chelsea24
04-15-2008, 03:44 AM
1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl I love these videos! Keep'em coming!

nONIE
04-15-2008, 03:46 AM
I guess I asked for,it, I asked for sexy old men, I got em! Even my own hubs has turned against me. ::)

Barefoot
04-15-2008, 09:53 AM
OMG. Just checked in at 5 am to see what's new. I wish I hadn't.
Those videos will be with me for days to come. Especially Bernie's thong guy. :yikes:

Sandy222
04-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Help --I can't get this image out of my head!!!!!!!

nONIE
04-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Which one Sandy?? One was worse then the next? Hope you didn have nightmares last night! LOL

Sandy222
04-15-2008, 12:29 PM
The man that ate a watermelon in one bite.

samhass
04-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Oh Bernie.....now what did you go and do that for????? That should be on the weight loss forum. It made me lose my appetite. ;D

beady
04-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Darn, I missed all the fun. My grandson was visiting so I was out of touch. I will regress to the brown spots and creams discussion. Except to say that a trim man with salt and pepper or white hair and a smiling face is pretty sexy.

My philosophy:I am what I am. I use the moisturizers and creams to hopefully slow the process down. The genes are the key and there is no cure for bad ones.Try to eat right and hope.

:cop: Topic Cop please skip the next paragraph:

I am, however , thinking of "repairing my eyelids". I have lots of extra skin that is drooping more and more.. Sometimes my eyes feel like they weight a thousand pounds. My eye doctor suggested I might want to think about having the excess skin removed. Has anyone had the surgery or know anyone who has. ::) ::)

renielarson
04-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Beady

I'm noticing the same thing about my eyelids. I'll be watching for posts about this because it's something I've thought about.

Just Susan
04-20-2008, 01:19 AM
I think Pricilla Presley had some surgery done on her face...might want to check that out.

Seriously Beady, unless it is really uncomfortable for you I wouldn't do a thing to your face. I liked the way you looked and I am not saying this to flatter but because it is true...you look great just as you are. I really mean it.

mcelheny
04-20-2008, 02:13 AM
:joke:Thanks all you great women. Laughing is so good :bigthumbsup:

KathieI
04-20-2008, 02:20 AM
I am, however , thinking of "repairing my eyelids". I have lots of extra skin that is drooping more and more.. Sometimes my eyes feel like they weight a thousand pounds. My eye doctor suggested I might want to think about having the excess skin removed. Has anyone had the surgery or know anyone who has. ::) ::)

Only because I love you Beady, but just make sure you know who your going to. I've seen some people in LA have a hard time blinking again. If its done well, is wonderful!! check out references. Good luck,!! Your pal, Kath :redface:

mcelheny
04-20-2008, 02:33 AM
Lange right here at Southern Trace wants to do mine. I have no idea if they are good.

Beady-you look great to me.

sandybill2
04-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Beady--my mother-in-law had the eyelid on one eye reduced or whatever it is they do--she got to the point she could not open her eye. Medicare actually paid for it at that point. I've checked with plastic surgeon and he said he could certainly "Fix" my eyelids but that they had not gotten to the point where my insurance would pay for them. Would love to have "work" done but am trying to age gracefully and appreciate the fact that I am still around and fortunate enough to live in the Villages. (moved here Nov 1--still miss family and friends but most of them have already been here to visit!!!!) I went to a class reunion a few years ago--started talking to a classmate who did not recognize me--I said I can't believe you don't know who I am. I then proceeded to pull up the sides of my face and said "I used to look like this." Can you believe it--at that time he remembered who I was---------talk about feeling the need for plastic surgery!!!!

chelsea24
04-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Ouch! OMG Sandi, that's an awful story. Maybe that's why I avoid highschool reunions like the plague! :cus: I want to have eyeliner tattooed on like Minty. Cool. :o

renielarson
04-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Who the heck is Minty ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

chelsea24
04-21-2008, 04:20 AM
Mintjulip. I think she's the one that said she had this done. But I've know a couple of other women that have had this. And it looks great! :bigthumbsup:

islandgal
04-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Bright -

I highly recommend eyelid reduction. I had it done at Ocala Eye last fall. The doctor suggested it because it was interferring with my peripheral vision so it was covered by insurance. It cured the problem as well as helped the ego.

Check out ocalaeye.com. Particularly the About Us section.

In my two years in TV, they are by far the most professional medical group I have come across.
They (Dr. Warren usually does the eyelids) do one eye, wait a week and do the other one - in their Ocala office. They even have a van that will pick you up and return you to TV if you like.

I had a cyst on one of my eyes after one of the surgeries (not usually the case) and one of the docs saw me two days in a row - on a Saturday and a Sunday!!

PM me if you have more questions. Now if I could just think of a reason for medical coverage to eliminate the jowls!!!!!! ???

beady
04-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks wiw, for sharing your experience.

I will check out the doc's who did your "work". I do not want to wind up looking like I'm always wide eyed but I sure would like to wear a bit of eye shadow and not have mascara smudge all over my lids. Not pretty :'( :'(

barbjim
04-21-2008, 05:25 PM
If you are just having the eyelids done and you have a qualified surgeon you will be very happy with the results. The Wide Eye look generally comes from folks that have an upper facelift. This lifts the eye area and gives that "deer in the headlight" look. The taking of the crepe type skin that starts to sag is relatively simple. I am sure there are lots of horror stories about taking too much of the sag out, but I bet there are ten times more positive stories. We kind of feed off of the negatives and never ask for the contrary information. Out of 100 folks that have this done, how many are not satisfied. I bet it is a very small percent.

Darn, I missed all the fun. My grandson was visiting so I was out of touch. I will regress to the brown spots and creams discussion. Except to say that a trim man with salt and pepper or white hair and a smiling face is pretty sexy.

My philosophy:I am what I am. I use the moisturizers and creams to hopefully slow the process down. The genes are the key and there is no cure for bad ones.Try to eat right and hope.

:cop: Topic Cop please skip the next paragraph:

beady
04-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks jimbarb,

It is so refreshing to get a positive response. I will do my research and make an informed decision. I will not be so concerned with the wide eyed look now that you have made me aware of the distinction between the different procedures. :)

Boomer
04-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi Girls,

I am following this. The surgery really does improve appearance as long as you don't end up with a look of perpetual surprise. I am putting a link here. I admit that I have not read through the whole thing, but it looks like a start.

My guess is that Hillary has had this done. I don't know for sure. I have not read that anywhere and she does not confide in me. -- although she did call a few times in the days before the Ohio primary. I wanted to ask about her eyelids, but she just kept asking for my vote and seemed in a hurry. So this is just a guess, considering her age and the time she spends with a camera on her. If she has not had the surgery, then she has lucky eyelids it looks like.

As I understand it, you spend time after the surgery sitting in a recliner with bags of those tiny frozen peas on your eyes.

The only thing I know for sure is to check out that doc. With so many boomers not wanting to go gently, there is a big market in this one. Make sure your doc of choice has done lots of these. We're talking about the eyes here. It's like considering that laser stuff to correct vision -- not the time to shop price. (I know you all know that.)

http://www.plasticsurgery.org/patients_consumers/procedures/Blepharoplasty.cfm

Boomer

islandgal
04-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Hi Boomer -

I had the procedure last fall and I do not have a look of perpetual surprise. I think Hillary has had a brow lift which is a whole different ballgame.

When I decided to have this done, I researched qualified physicians on the internet and personal connections. I was stunned to find not only the www.ocalaeye.com website, but references for them from Virginia physicians in my home town. Check out their credentials on their website.

The frozen pea pack was a great relief, but it was not in the chair at the doctors office, but in the recovery period at home.

As far as I am concerned, it was a piece of cake - no knives, no pain and about two weeks of heavy duty Polaroid glasses because the sun hurt. :o

Boomer
04-22-2008, 02:02 AM
Hi wiw1819,

Those frozen peas recliner days -- my friend said that she spent them listening to the History Channel and became quite an expert on various things as a result.

Were you left with any problems with your eyes being dry afterward? I have read that is sometimes a problem. I am such a big chicken about my eyes. My very best birthday present ever was on my 16th birthday when I got contacts. I don't want to have to give up my contacts.

About that brow lift -- What is involved?

I was talking to a doc about brow lifts recently, just a conversation, he was not a plastic surgeon. He started telling me about how now there is something they do where they drill into your forehead and put in these little metal things or something and pull stuff up around them --- :barf: Oh I don't know --- I could not stand to hear about it anymore. All I could picture was being left looking like Frankenstein's monster or somebody slipping and drilling just a tad too far.

But I will admit that I find the idea of a brow lift intriguing if it would not be done this "new" way. Sometimes I stand in front of the mirror and pull my forehead up and pretend it is 1975.

When Hillary first came on the scene on the first go-round, I remember some article where she or someone was talking about her thick glasses. Well, I think she has to be wearing contacts, unless she has had the laser thing. I am scared of the laser thing. It does not work on high myopia types like me anyway I don't think.

Maybe Hillary opted for a brow lift instead of the lid surgery because she was concerned about dry eyes, too. If only I could have gotten a word in edgewise when she called me so many times right before the Ohio primary, I could have asked her all about it.

I am a real myop. Many years ago, we had a pool. I was in it one day w/o my contacts or my glasses. I was calling my dog who was across the yard. I thought. I called and called. My daughter came out of the house and asked me what I was doing.

"I am calling Sally," I said, said I, "and she won't come." (I was getting a little ticked by then.)

"Mom," said my daughter, "Sally is still in the house."

Well, I had been calling a beach ball and getting really :edit: off because it would not come. That's the degree of my myopia. So I don't want to do anything that might dry out my eyes too much for my contacts.

I guess I have digressed quite enough for one evening. Tell me more about the brow lift. Not the Frankenstein kind. And I would also like to know if there is much chance of a dry eye problem after the eyelid surgery.

Boomer

islandgal
04-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Boomer -

Love your "pool" story!!!

Yes, I do have dry eyes and it's a pain in the :edit:. I am also extremely sensitive to sunlight, but when I look at previous photos of myself (one eye was drooping more than the other), I just keep dripping the eye drops!!!

Hillary looks like she has had a brow lift with her popping eyes. I really don't know that much about brow lifts. I checked into it very briefly several years ago and then chickened out almost immediately when they started discussing numerous incisions. Of course, that was before laser was so prevalent.

Know what you mean about lifting your brow and pretending it's 1975. I lift my forehead and jowls at the same time and looking into the mirror, I am euphoric for 30 seconds!

Keep me posted!! ::)

Boomer
04-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Boomer -
Know what you mean about lifting your brow and pretending it's 1975. I lift my forehead and jowls at the same time and looking into the mirror, I am euphoric for 30 seconds!

Keep me posted!! ::)

wiw1819,

I have a helpful hint about how to make 1975 last as long as you want it to. Lie down on your back and hold a hand mirror in front of your face. You don't have to pull on anything. Crank up some old Santana for background music and you're there.

Boomer 8)

There is an episode of "The Golden Girls" where Blanche, who could never pass up looking at herself in any mirror anywhere, looked into a mirror that was face up on a counter. She had to bend over to look in it. She was horrified. Do you know what she said? If you know the character Blanche, you can fill in the blanks because you know what her first thought was. I am being ladylike this morning so I won't fill in the blanks for you. Besides, you all know anyway. ;)

islandgal
04-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Boomer -

You are hysterical - Gotcha !!
Have my Santana out and ready to go!!!!! 1rnfl

I remember that Golden Girls episode and her remarks - it was far back enough that I ddidn't relate at the time! :(

nONIE
04-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Oh Boomer, my favorite TV series of all time! I keep watching the re-runs. I guess we are all golden girls now arent we?

Blanch was right, dont ever lean over a mirror face down or in my case face up! It is guaranteed to depress you for days, mabe weeks, mabe years!!! >:(
Almost as bad as getting on the scale..... another thing I never do!

beady
04-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Absolutely love the Golden Girls. I will watch it as long as I can find the reruns.

Golden girls we are. I never thought of it that way till now.

Getting back to Plastic surgery and all it involves. I am what I am and I will probably never go there. BUT.... my eyes are a different story.Yes, it is scary to think of someone working around my eyes but I am finding it increasingly bothersome having the excess skin on my lids.I have always had some excess skin but as gravity takes hold and things are going south , the lids are getting worse. So, I will carefully explore the possibilities of having them reduced. We will see. I'll keep you posted.

Mintjulep
04-22-2008, 02:47 PM
I want to have eyeliner tattooed on like Minty. Cool. :o

Yep Chels, I had eyeliner, eyebrows and lipliner tatooed on.
My partner did it (when I worked).
She did a great job and I've been happy with it.

Beady, one of our friends is a plastic surgeon and he did my husband and my eyelids. Important to make sure the Doctor is a board certified plastic surgeon as ours was.
My husband had his done the first week and I took care of him, then I had mine done the next week and he took care of me. I was back to work the next week. The first 24 hours are the hardest as your caretaker has to apply drops and new saline cloths and ice packs every 2 hours, even thru the night. Then right before the stitches come out, your eyelids feel 'tight' and itchy. But other than that, we breezed right thru. It helped that our surgeon lives in our neighborhood and did housecalls (for a glass of wine) to check on us afterward.
But it was a very worthwhile experience. My husbands lids were so droopy before, he had to lean his head back to see. And he always had lots of puffiness and very dark circles under his eyes- all gone now. His was a very dramatic transformation.
Mine were just beginning to need something. Not a drastic difference, except to me.

Mintjulep
04-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Were you left with any problems with your eyes being dry afterward? I have read that is sometimes a problem. I am such a big chicken about my eyes. My very best birthday present ever was on my 16th birthday when I got contacts. I don't want to have to give up my contacts.

My best girlfriend has had her eyelids done twice, 10 years apart.
The first time she did have the dry eye problem. Said it felt like sand was in her eyes.
She spent her first night the second time at my house and I was her caretaker.
And she didn't have any problems with the dry eyes.
But I was very faithful with her 2 hour regime.
I think the ointment type drops you put in now are better also.

I wear one contact (to read) and was able to begin wearing it after the stitches came out (in 5 days I think).

I love The Golden Girls too. I think I've seen every episode.
My husband says Dorothy reminds him of me... Tho I don't think so at all...

beady
04-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks Mint:

Good information. I will check out the doc's credentials for sure.

Re: hubby's dark circles and puffiness. I don't understand how that was improved by removing the excess skin on his lids? Also, why do you run the risk of dry eyes. Do they do something with the tear ducts?

Mintjulep
04-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks Mint:

Re: hubby's dark circles and puffiness. I don't understand how that was improved by removing the excess skin on his lids? Also, why do you run the risk of dry eyes. Do they do something with the tear ducts?

We had the uppers AND lowers done.
They also cut and pulled the skin up under the lower part of our eyes (stitches were right below the lower eyelashes), tightened the muscle, and lipo-ed the fat out.
I guess when they sucked that out, whatever causes the dark circles went also.

You run the risk of dry eyes because after the surgery, your eyelids are swollen and won't close all the way. That's why the special ointment was required by our Dr. every 2 hours, it was kind of greasy and kept them lubricated and coated, tho everything looked 'smeary'. The saline pads helps dry up the stitches and the ice keeps the swelling down as much as possible.
Nothing burned or hurt, the worst discomfort was the tightness the last day with the stitches.
I worked at our Drs. office occasionally, so talked to many people who'd had the surgery.
Everyone pretty much felt the same, the tightness was the most uncomfortable part.

We just laid in the recliner in our study we named 'the recovery room' and listened to Fox News. My girlfriend listened to her books on tape. A recliner is good as it keeps your head above your heart and also helps with swelling. Just the first nite or two.

It sounds much worse than it is. We were all totally fine after 2 days, tho we looked like the devil, with the stitches and bruising. I have pictures... :yikes:

But would definitely do it again...

Boomer
04-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Hi Mint,

My concern with the dry eyes has more to do with being left with them forever than during the recovery time. If I had to give up my contact lenses, I would not be too happy. But from what I have seen for others, this surgery makes a lovely, subtle difference. People look good, but nobody really picks up on why.

Boomer -
Have my Santana out and ready to go!!!!! 1rnfl

wiw1819,

-glad you liked my Santana suggestion from earlier. I cranked it up today, too. But not for trying to pretend it was 1975. (Well, maybe we were kind of.) We were working in the yard. We are the only ones around here who are retired. The neighbors all have jobs and are gone all day. So we cranked it up really, really loud. When a couple of old baby boomers move in...there goes the neighborhood.

Boomer

beady
04-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Okay, well, fortunately under my eyes are fine. I just have the excess skin on the lids, so maybe I won't be quite so "incapacitated " as you were.

Again thanks for the info, now on to the docs and some consultation and questions for him.

I will let you know how I am progressing toward the procedure.

shelagh.rose
07-26-2009, 02:11 AM
I have heard the prescription cream Tri-Luma works
wonders in less than 8 weeks.

Good Luck!

De Lis
06-11-2011, 03:50 AM
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT

Instead of labeling products as "Anti-Aging", why don't they get smart and label them as "Self Acceptance" products? Come on! Hate to think that WE enable all these companies. Sorry... this just mystifies me.

graciegirl
06-11-2011, 04:50 AM
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT

Instead of labeling products as "Anti-Aging", why don't they get smart and label them as "Self Acceptance" products? Come on! Hate to think that WE enable all these companies. Sorry... this just mystifies me.

Welcome to you Fleur! I agree with you!

I hope you enjoy TOTV. You will find some wonderful folks who post on here and some people who try to be funny like me. I hope you stay and tell us what you think and ask questions and add to the talk and information.

I am glad that you revived this thread. It is almost as old as the brown spots on my face. It is one of those nearly unsolvable problems. Thank heavens my brown spots aren't alone here.

Kindest wishes,
Gracie

oceangirl
06-11-2011, 07:56 PM
I had posted on the feminine formum and a gentlemen posted saying the women in his family wiped the inside of a banana peel on their skin. Well I did it and you know what it felt really good. And what did it cost me a banana.

DD
06-13-2011, 09:33 PM
I go to the dermatologist and have them burned off. The ones that were done have not come back and it is not painful in the least. As I see new ones appear I return and have them done.. The area is red for a couple of days but I find it well worth the money. Unfortunately, being Canadian I do not have a drug plan that covers the cost. The charge is $40 per visit and they do as many as can be seen per treatment. Sometimes I have to return and have the procedure repeated.

The same procedure was used when my son had worts on fingers and they have never returned.

Hope this helps.

uujudy
06-14-2011, 09:55 AM
I had posted on the feminine formum and a gentlemen posted saying the women in his family wiped the inside of a banana peel on their skin. Well I did it and you know what it felt really good. And what did it cost me a banana.

Oceangirl, do the banana peels remove the brown spots from your face? If so, do we use green bananas or do we use bananas with brown spots?
Going to Sweetbay for bananas,
Spotty Judy

casita37
06-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Back to the eyelid surgery, for just a minute, if I may...I met with Dr. Warren at Ocala Eye for an exam. He determined I could benefit from the surgery. I have BCBS, but I have a very large deductable, so I would be paying out of pocket.

When I asked Dr. Warren about the cost, he said he didn't know. He told me how much he, personally, makes from the surgery, and it was quite reasonable. He couldn't tell me how much for the facility and all the other things associated with any surgery. He said a lady from his Ocala office would call and I could discuss that with her.

She called this morning to schedule the surgery. I asked her about the cost, and she said she didn't know....she would have to check with the business office and would call me back.

Aside from the fact that I find this extremely odd....I mean, this is what Dr. Warren DOES! He told me he has done over 1500 of this particular surgery, yet he can't even give me an idea how much it costs???? And the person who works in the office doesn't know either? So, if anyone out there doesn't mind sharing, can you tell me how much you paid for the procedure, if your insurance did not cover it?

For the record, I was very comfortable with Dr. Warren to do the surgery.

Thanks for any input.

Carmpat
06-20-2012, 07:00 AM
Hi Ladies,

I bought Garnier Skin Renew Dark Spot Corrector which cost about $16 a tube. I wouldn't say it got rid of my dark spots, however, it lighten them up which is what I was looking for. So I am really pleased.

Even with trying the more expensive brands such as Clinque and Estee Lauder I like Garnier the best. You have to use these creams over a 12 week period before you can begin to see any improvements. After 4 weeks of using Garnier I saw a difference in my fair skin tone. I use a sunscreen SPF 30 when I am out in the sun.

What also helps hid my brown spots on my face is not just regular makeup but I bought Laura Geller tinted Spackle under make-up primer. It really makes the difference and keeps your regular makeup on up to 8 hours. I bought Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse Airbrush Finish.

Patti

GeoGeo
12-04-2013, 12:29 PM
I had the dermatologist freeze an age spot off my face a few years back. But I think I may have just made a great discovery. I'll tell you about the age spots a little later in the post, but let me tell you about my face first. A couple of weeks ago I bought Argon Oil. I was hoping it would make my face feel soft. I was surprised when I noticed on day 2 a difference in the marionette lines and nasolabial lines. At first I used 3 drops out of the bottle straight, but it was too greasy. I then started mixing it with whatever moisturizer I am applying. I add two drops. But back to the age spots. I have a couple of age spots on my hand that bother me. I've tried some things that didn't work at all. Since using the Argon Oil, sometimes I have some left over in my hand after applying it to my face. So I just used it like hand lotion.....rubbing into my hands. I probably only did this two times....possibly three. I noticed that the one age spot on my hand has diminished greatly. The big one I'm not sure about. Today while reading the posts about age spots is when I first looked down at my hand and noticed this. I am going to have to try to religiously apply it to those spots and see what happens. I just did a search on-line and it mentioned that it is good for age spots. I'm pleased with the improvement I have seen because I sure wasn't expecting it.

FloridaShrimp
02-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Over the counter age spot creams do not work. The brand of hydroquinone that works is Lustra AF. The AF has a sunscreen. This requires a prescription. I have used it with no problems with sunburn or any other kind. I buy mine through a Canadian pharmacy to reduce the cost and at one time Canada did not require a prescription. It may take a couple of tubes. I am ready to order one as it has been several years and I have new spots. I spot treat areas on my face and neck and this time will put some on the backs of my hands. The spots that I previously treated were greatly diminished but they were not completely faded. It works well enough that I am ready to reorder. Good luck

Suzi
02-07-2014, 06:09 PM
I am a nurse practitioner and have worked in plastic surgery for the last 20 years. I am licensed in Michigan AND now Florida. I can discuss strategies of aging with anyone interested. I have a tremendous amount of experience, so send me a PM and we'll take it from there.

sharonga
02-07-2014, 06:19 PM
You girls are so funny!!! My mom is still going strong at 86. Yes, she has wrinkles and spots and other things I hope I never get. She hates looking at an old lady in the mirror. I keep telling her she is beautiful and thank G-d alive. I feel that we earn our age spots and wrinkles and droops. With all that comes the wisdom I didn't have as a young no spot, wrinkle, droop girl! Oh and please let me know when the miracle cure comes out, I will be on line.

Daisy
02-08-2014, 08:15 AM
I have had brown spots and broken capillaries removed from my face with laser. The brown spots sometimes need more than one treatment.

FloridaShrimp
02-08-2014, 09:23 AM
What I know works for me for age/brown spots is prescription strength hydroquinone, brand name Lustra AF. The AF formula contains a sunblock. Fading the spots takes a few weeks and mine were reduced by half. I am ready to purchase another tube as it has been awhile since I last used it. I had no problems with it at all. I buy mine from Canada cutting the price in half. I found a phone number for a local Canadian Meds on US 441. 352-633-3301. I haven't called them about Lustra and previously ordered online faxing in a prescription. Good luck

BritParrothead
02-08-2014, 09:48 AM
I use No7 Lift & Luminate Dark Spot Corrector

You can buy it a Super Target. Have been using this since July last year, with amazing results!! Had a few dark spots on the back of my left hand, I now have 2 very pale marks, more on right hand but going. The marks on my face have almost gone. It costs £19.50 sterling, but it is cheaper in
US $ I stock up on ALL my No. 7 products when I am in the villages.

kittygilchrist
02-08-2014, 11:19 AM
///

Dafoe
02-09-2014, 09:03 PM
I just noted Suzi's response.. I highly recommend her! She can do private consultation in your home and has the medical expertise to back up her suggestions!

lpkshop
05-31-2014, 06:38 AM
Started to notice the spots after I moved here. Always used 30+ sun lotion. Still spots. Started driving with gloves with SPF of 50, spots are fading nicely. At least for no ;-)

angiefox10
05-31-2014, 07:16 AM
All my age spots are gone. My skin is softer, brighter and silky. I do it internally. PM me and I will tell you about it. Not expensive and age spots are gone from my arms as well as my face.

Lauren Sweeny
06-11-2014, 04:34 PM
After a car trip vacation I noticed the left side ( passenger side) of my face had darkened spots! I began using Retinol every night. My friends noticed that the spots had lightened up over a few days.