PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a Healthy Life Style

Just Susan
04-15-2008, 03:31 AM
Okay here is a place for serious health tips concerning nutrition, excercise, maybe even some non professional medical info.

Seeing as how I know nothing about this subject that is all I have to say about this. ;D

Just Susan
04-16-2008, 12:15 AM
See when you say "serious" everyone tunes out...Now brownspots got pretty silly and everyone is reading and particpating there. Hmmm why do you suppose that is?

Also I don't mind if people don't stay serious here.

Anyone got any good tips?

How about you non-posters? ;D ;D ;D

renielarson
04-16-2008, 12:41 AM
For a change, I'm gonna be "mum" here and just read. I have much to learn and absolutely, positively, without a doubt NO tips. (Hmmm....could this be why I'm on a diet?)

I need some chocolate...http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh96/renielarson/7_4_341.gif

nONIE
04-16-2008, 01:06 AM
I really like Oprah's idea. A personal chef and a personal trainer would do just fine. Sadly, without them, Im hopeless! :(

Rokinronda
04-16-2008, 01:53 AM
HELP! 1st I need to quit smoking......I am going to need a lot of support on this one! I am setting a date, in June, our 34th anniversary! I quit once for 3 months, another time for 3 weeks, and last try....hours. I had samples of Zyban once and they worked great for me. Really took the edge off, but I only had samples.(3 weeks worth) I found a great quit smoking therapist, online yesterday, with really good ideas. I can now order Zyban online. This is it. I am doing this! I am preparing myself for this and want to be a non smoker for my health!! Then when I gain 50 lbs.......I will go on a diet!!........and exercise more!! I have seen all the horrors of smoking and hate that I am having a tough time stopping.... How did you quit??

renielarson
04-16-2008, 02:29 AM
I've tried many things Ronda....hypnosis, patches, gum, Zyban, Wellbutrin, Chantix...and nothing has worked for me so far. I think I'm a hopeless case and that really depresses me.

My husband...he quit cold turkey. Wish I had the willpower to do that!

I'm rooting for you Ronda...you can do it!

Hancle704
04-16-2008, 02:33 AM
LESSONS IN LIFE.

1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
4. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.
8. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
11. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
12. It's OK to let your children see you cry.
13. Don't compare your life to others'. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks.
16. Life is too short for long pity parties. Get busy living, or get busy dying.
17. You can get through anything if you stay put in today.
18. A writer writes. If you want to be a writer, write.
19. It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy Lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
22. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
24. The most important sex organ is the brain.
25. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: 'In five years, will this matter?'
27. Always choose life.
28. Forgive everyone, everything.
29. What other people think of you is none of your business.
30. Time heals almost everything. Give time, time.
31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
32. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
33. Believe in miracles.
34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.
35. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.
36. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.
37. Your children get only one childhood. Make it memorable.
38. Read the Psalms. They cover every human emotion.
39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
41. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
42. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
43. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
44. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
46. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
45. The best is yet to come.
47. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
48. If you don't ask, you don't get.
49. Yield.
50. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.

villages07
04-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Start the day with protein...

Like many others, I did the Atkins diet at various times. Too hard to live without bread. One thing that still helps me is to have a high protein, low carb breakfast bar. Filling, satisfying and holds off lunch hunger pangs much longer.

When I used to have a bagel or cereal for breakfast, I would be hungry again 2 hrs later.

My favorite high protein/low carb bar (and I think I've tried them all) is called "Think Thin" by Think Products. I believe Albertsons or Publix carries them...but, I buy them in bulk from the manufacturer. A single bar might be $2.50...when I buy in bulk they are more like $1.30 each. Lots of different flavors.

Good Luck.

marianne237
04-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Hancle704: That is the best list I've ever seen. Thank you.

ConeyIsBabe
04-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Here's what works for me:

I avoid eating red meat, all dairy, eggs, butter, all deli-meat, anything containing hydrogenated fat, high-fructose corn syrup, anything in the deli section prepared with unknown ingredients, any bread or bakery product containing corn oil, fried foods, fast food restaurants, soda pop.

I DO eat fresh fish 4 times a week, some chicken, whole grain baked products with canola oil, fresh veggies, frozen veggies, fresh fruit, olive oil, canola oil, flaxseed oil, whole grain legumes, lots of water, egg whites, Thai restaurants, canned tuna, sardines, an occasional veggie pizza, occasional Mexican restaurant (when I feel like cheating).

The results are: me - taking no drugs (prescribed or not), staying the same size 10 that I've been most of my adult life, and EXCEPT for old age creeping up on me, I feel good about myself for having the self-control to do the right thing.

Not to mention all the $$$ I'm saving by NOT buying soda, junk food, booze, cigarettes, and did I mention JUNK FOOD ;D

Just Susan
04-19-2008, 03:14 AM
Don't take this the wrong way Coney, but what do you do for fun?????????????????????

You are way more disciplined than I will ever be. ;)

samhass
04-19-2008, 03:28 AM
I agree. That sounds like deprivation!! Wait til we get you down here. We'll teach you some bad habits.

Don't take this the wrong way Coney, but what do you do for fun?????????????????????

You are way more disciplined than I will ever be. ;)

renielarson
04-19-2008, 03:35 AM
Way, way, way too regimented for me...

I try to eat healthy but I cheat....gotta have junk food, booze, cigs, and soda

ok...junk food not much...

but all else...well

Gotta live a little...we all die sometime is my motto.

Just Susan
04-19-2008, 03:43 AM
That's on my tattoo, Bright. ;D

renielarson
04-19-2008, 03:44 AM
I noticed, Susan 1rnfl

ConeyIsBabe
04-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Susan & Tom: OK.......... since you asked - here's what I do for fun ;) ....

I LOVE eating out; my favorite restaurants are Thai (where everything is delicious and healthy). The local Red Lobster has a Seafood Feast meal with lobster & grilled shrimp, rice pilaf, broccoli, etc. The local health-food-cafe has a yummie salad-bar and homemade soup. What's not fun about that? Also, I truly enjoy eating healthy food like fresh fish and veggies ? My other fun thing is going to the local fitness center where they have all the amenities plus two indoor heated swimming pools and hot-spa at 104 degrees and when I leave there I feel so good about myself for having worked-out that's it's my idea of fun.

samhass ... when I get to TV, mayhbe I'll teach you some good habits? :dontknow:

Just Susan
04-19-2008, 05:54 PM
You wear a string bikini???

Okay you are my new best friend, my life coach, my guru. You'd never ever see a string bikini on me, what with all the "stuff' hanging over it and poking out from under.

I'm still not buying it but I will try. Let's both get there soon. Do I have to give up chocolate?

chelsea24
04-19-2008, 06:27 PM
I had a string bikini once . . . used it as dental floss! Coach us Coney Island! :bow:

Can't give up all my bad habits though. To quote Elizabeth Taylor "You can be sure that the people with no vices have some pretty annoying virtues!"

I always found this to be true. :joke:

renielarson
04-19-2008, 06:34 PM
The closest I've come to wearing a string bikini were my undies...for my eyes only. :o

Not that I wouldn't love to have a bod that looked good in one...but think the days are passed when it would have been appropriate. A one piece suits me fine nowadays.

Just Susan
04-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Me too Bright. Here is my new one for this year.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj277/lake21brook/dvs080295.jpg

renielarson
04-19-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm wearing the sunflowers since I'm a Kansas girl who prefers bare feet over shoes. :bigthumbsup:

Susan is wearing the red hat since she admits to already owning one plus she likes big necklaces, earrings and shoes that are eye catching. :clap2: 040 :2cool:

I love this pic! It could apply to many of us, but I get great pleasure out of bugging Susan (only because she knows me better than anyone else here. If you get to know me better, then watch out because you could be next evil6...)

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh96/renielarson/large_beach.jpg

Just Susan
04-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Okay, but do I have to have those teeth? http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj277/lake21brook/36_6_3.gif http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj277/lake21brook/36_1_4.gif

renielarson
04-19-2008, 09:40 PM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh96/renielarson/Teeth.gif

renielarson
04-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Really, I'm serious about being healthy...at least eating healthy most of the time.

I try to stick to no more than about 1200 calories a day. I eat mainly soy products, fish, veggies. I avoid fast food, sugar, and limit myself to very few animal products.

However, I'm not hung up on it. I sometimes cheat...especially if I have the hankering for a good bar hamburger...a weakness of mine. Or Mexican food...another weakness. Hard to turn down 3 cheese enchiladas.

And once in a while, a McDonald's Big Mac yells at me so loudly that all I can do is get one to stop the ruckus.

And ice cream...well, I had a frozen something or other in TV when there...couldn't let my grandson eat a cone alone.

These "cheats" are few and far between yet I have to give in to keep my sanity once in a while and to be human. My son would disagree since he is a vegan...and I give him credit for sticking to it all these years.

To me, life is too short to permanently give up favorites and way to short to spend my days doing nothing more than working out so I look good in a string bikini at my age.

Just my opinion....

Just Susan
04-20-2008, 12:24 AM
All I can say is I am not eating at your house unless it is a "cheating day" Also 1200 calories sounds like you are doing amazing but you didn't tell her you are only 5' tall.
Just got home from eating out had a really great "barburger"