PDA

View Full Version : What is Affordable Health Care?

SteveFromNY
04-23-2008, 06:47 PM
I am doing a lot of research on what kind of health care I can get, and what it costs, for the time between when my COBRA from work ends and the time I can go on Medicare. For me that's gonna be around 8 or 9 years.
I read about health care being "not affordable" and I want to understand what numbers that translates to. To me, a Premier Home on the golf course is not affordable, for others it is.
I looked at the AARP website and, without giving numbers, they tell you that you will get a price, then a few months later, they would adjust that price after getting it underwritten.
Also, they have a Premier service and a catastrophic service. Anybody have experience with either?
And what do these plans cost? Is it $200 a month, $700/mo, $2000/mo for soemone with pre-existing conditions (does anyone not have one?). Is family coverage (husband and wife) got any discount?
This unknown is keeping me out of TV it would seem!

Shirleevee
04-24-2008, 05:00 AM
To me, affordable healthcare would be anything under the $789.48 I pay monthly just for myself. I have a chronic autoimmune condition and worry about FLORIDA healthcare for myself for the next few years. I, too, would like information

Shirleevee, NY

bestmickey
05-02-2008, 06:46 AM
Steve, I'm sorry I don't have any detailed response for you. (I'm lucky in that I am able to carry my health insurance from my employer, even in retirement.)

I don't know if the info in this article will be of assistance to you, I'm hoping so.
Good luck!

http://www.smartmoney.com/consumer/index.cfm?story=20030929

Boomer
05-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Good morning,

I am getting ready to dive into my old posts to look for a thread that may help answer this question. I know this topic is in there somewhere. Probably in the wrong forum.

When I find it, I will bump it. But everyone has to promise to ignore the parts where it may seem a bit political. This topic sets me off on a rant. But my rant does not side with either political party.

Anyway, the thread is incoming as soon as I find it.

Boomer

SteveFromNY
05-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Steve, I'm sorry I don't have any detailed response for you. (I'm lucky in that I am able to carry my health insurance from my employer, even in retirement.)

I don't know if the info in this article will be of assistance to you, I'm hoping so.
Good luck!

http://www.smartmoney.com/consumer/index.cfm?story=20030929

Bestmickey - thanks - very informative article. It gives a decent overview of the health care landscape and gives me some ideas for worst case budgeting.

Good morning,

I am getting ready to dive into my old posts to look for a thread that may help answer this question. I know this topic is in there somewhere. Probably in the wrong forum.

When I find it, I will bump it. But everyone has to promise to ignore the parts where it may seem a bit political. This topic sets me off on a rant. But my rant does not side with either political party.

Anyway, the thread is incoming as soon as I find it.

Boomer

Thanks Boomer - I look forward to it!

Boomer
05-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Hi Steve,

I finally found it this morning and bumped it for you. It is in the wrong forum. My fault. (Please don't tell anyone.) When I started the thread, for some reason I put it in "Non-Villages Discussion." I did not even pay attention back then that there was a forum "Medical and Health."

After providing two helpful links in my first post, I got sidetracked and began to make my opinions known about how this affects so many boomers. So I know some will think it should be filed as "Political," but I don't think anybody running has a solution so it's not really political. Or is it? :dontknow:

Then when I bumped it this morning, I let loose a re-rant and I did not recant.

So anyway, there is actually some info in there, just wade through a bit and please don't tell on me that it's in the wrong forum. It had been buried for awhile, but I found it. I went back through my own posts. That will teach me to put stuff in the wrong place.

Look for the thread titled "Early Retiree Health Insurance" under "non-V."

And good luck.

Boomer

SteveFromNY
05-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks Boomer. I bookmarked the pages and will research. At first blush it looks like I may benefit by staying a NY resident as I'd get coverage albeit expensive maybe (plus taxes). FL looks like I could get bounced easily for some of my prior conditions. I will study it all closely. Once I leave work, I will still have 18 mo of cobra, so I have some time.

Boomer
05-03-2008, 02:07 AM
Steve,

When talking about COBRA, my standard line is, "They don't call it COBRA for nuthin'." It will take a real bite out of most budgets, but as you said, it does buy you some time and access to the plan you now have at group rates. If your employer now pays a part of your health insurance premium, you are going to miss that contribution when COBRA takes the employer off the hook. But you will be making so many decisions as you get close to retirement, that at least COBRA gives you some time with a plan that is a known. As nasty as that COBRA bite can be, you may welcome it.

If you have not already done so, you may want to check with your employer to see if there is any possibility of continuing coverage with the group until Medicare if you pay the entire premium. I can tell you right now though that employers don't promise until Medicare unless there is a contract involved. Companies that actually do grant access to retirees, with or without a company contribution, almost always have provisions in the fine print for being able to drop the other shoe. But even with that possibility hanging over your head, access in that way could be a good choice.

Access to coverage by a good plan? Group rates? What kind of coverage? Catastrophic or otherwise? What happens to your rates if you actually have to use the plan? What happens to your plan if you actually have to use the plan? Prescription coverage? It is a complex issue as I know you well know.

Recently I have been walking a good friend through some decisions about retirement. She really wants to hang up her job. She has some money saved. She does not carry debt. She has a couple of retirement plans that can kick in and bridge her to early SS. But guess what it is all boiling down to. The access to a good plan. We think she may have had enough years with the state awhile back to get into that plan. She has an appointment next week to find out. If she can't get insurance there, she will have to become immersed in the same close study you are starting.

What you said about NY is interesting. I hope there are some fellow New Yorkers here who can give you some information on that if you need it.

Anyway, if I find information in addition to the two links I put in the other thread, I will post it.

At the beginning of all this, I told you my COBRA line. My other standard line about health insurance is that the people I know who are facing the problem of trying to find access to good plans at good rates are not clamoring for a free ride. They just want to be able to buy a ticket to ride.

Boomer

Shirleevee
05-03-2008, 04:48 AM
Steve,

As a New Yorker on Social Security, my monthly Empire BC/BS is $789.24.......OUCH!!!!! My husband has Medicare and the V.A., thank G-d!

Affordable? Hardly!

Shirleevee

Mallory Voice
08-21-2013, 11:33 AM
I am doing a lot of research on what kind of health care I can get, and what it costs, for the time between when my COBRA from work ends and the time I can go on Medicare. For me that's gonna be around 8 or 9 years.
I read about health care being "not affordable" and I want to understand what numbers that translates to. To me, a Premier Home on the golf course is not affordable, for others it is.
I looked at the AARP website and, without giving numbers, they tell you that you will get a price, then a few months later, they would adjust that price after getting it underwritten.
Also, they have a Premier service and a catastrophic service. Anybody have experience with either?
And what do these plans cost? Is it $200 a month, $700/mo, $2000/mo for soemone with pre-existing conditions (does anyone not have one?). Is family coverage (husband and wife) got any discount?
This unknown is keeping me out of TV it would seem!

Do your homework. Having been in insurance for over 25 years, you will probably get the best affordable deal with BCBS of Florida. Talk to Ken Law 800 888 6758. The more whistles and bells in a plan the higher the cost. Focus on a hospital (catastrophic) policy with a deductible around $1,000.
Talk to Ken. Good man, honest and experienced.
Mallory Voice

ilovetv
08-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Do your homework. Having been in insurance for over 25 years, you will probably get the best affordable deal with BCBS of Florida. Talk to Ken Law 800 888 6758. The more whistles and bells in a plan the higher the cost. Focus on a hospital (catastrophic) policy with a deductible around $1,000.
Mallory Voice

The thread/question is from 2008, and if I remember right, Steve died. (I hope I'm wrong about that and that he's alive and kickin'.)

billethkid
08-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Steve,

As a New Yorker on Social Security, my monthly Empire BC/BS is $789.24.......OUCH!!!!! My husband has Medicare and the V.A., thank G-d!

Affordable? Hardly!

Shirleevee

it is spelled GOD!....that is still allowed.

btk

blueash
08-21-2013, 12:17 PM
it is spelled GOD!....that is still allowed.

btk

BTK you are apparently not aware that in certain faiths one is forbidden from defacing or dishonoring the name of G-d, thus they use G-d. Your indignation is misplaced as you may not be fully informed on this issue for some people.

graciegirl
08-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Mallory Voice

O.K. Kiddo. I know you didn't mean to but you have responded to yet another very loved member who has died.

Look for eternal member under a users name.

OR start your own thread.