PDA

View Full Version : Floor Electrical Outlet in Tile Floor

KatieC
11-09-2014, 12:07 PM
How do you seal down the electric outlet in the living room tile floor in the Designer homes? Our outlet has popped up and I am not sure how to secure it to the floor so that it does not keep popping up. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

KatieC

villagetinker
11-09-2014, 01:43 PM
If the house is less then a year old call home warranty. As I think of it there are some items that have longer warranties, so I would first call home warranty and ask them to fix the problem.
Hope this helps.

jimmy D
11-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Home depot has a device that will secure the outlet.

rjm1cc
11-09-2014, 02:54 PM
If it is the cover popping up and you do not use the outlet I would use a little wood glue. Then if you needed the outlet you should be able to pry it open with a screw driver.
Wood glue as you do not want a strong seal

villagetinker
11-09-2014, 10:14 PM
If the cover is popping up, it is probably cracked, the tabs for the screws are cracked, or the screws are stripped. This is a relatively easy fix if you buy a new cover. If the screws are stripped, then this becomes a little more complicated as the old threads will need to be retapped (aka a larger screw), and possibly the holes in the cover plate will need to be enlarged, and the new larger screws installed.

If on the other hand, the box with the receptacle is loose, then I go back to my first comment, call home warranty, or pay for as licensed electrician to replace the box and properly anchor it.

Hope this helps.

PS wood glue generally does not hold well the metal, and is generally brittle. If you plan to use glue, I would suggest a product called GOOP (available at ACE, Sears, and several other stores). It is a crystal clear contact adhesive, that will remain flexible, and can be separated with a knife or screw driver.