PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Welk

Halibut
11-29-2014, 07:11 PM
There's a Lawrence Welk special on tonight, and I gotta ask -- does anybody still watch?

We used to at my grandmother's house 50 years ago and even then it was a show geared towards the older generation. Now I'm my grandmother's age, but I just can't with him, even for nostalgia's sake.

jblum315
11-29-2014, 07:24 PM
Nope. Never did, never will.

redwitch
11-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Not if I can humanly avoid it. Never did like his show even though my mother adored him.

pbkmaine
11-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Watched it with my parents. I liked the Lennon Sisters. But no, don't watch it anymore.

Halibut
11-29-2014, 08:07 PM
I liked the Lennon Sisters.

Well, sure. They were the Rihanna of their day. :)

eweissenbach
11-29-2014, 08:12 PM
I enjoy watching it now and then. It is pretty hokey but it takes me back to my youth watching it with my parents.

missypie
11-29-2014, 08:36 PM
My grandmother from Europe would visit us when I was a child and she adored him.

JoMar
11-30-2014, 02:16 PM
I understand their theater in Branson still sells out, the donations to PBS seem to continue the demand, and when the members tour they still fill the smaller venues.

tomwed
11-30-2014, 02:28 PM
I know exactly what you mean.

I will confide with this group what I have whispered to others that I could trust with this secret. We own timeshare and two years ago when we stayed in San Diageo [El Secondo or something like that] we traded our unit for a unit at the Lawrence Welk Resort.

Once upon a time I had a pony tail, wore patched jeans and partied at Grateful Dead concerts. Now I'm trading Hilton Heads weeks for the big "One-na and a Two-a" man with the bubble machine. My freak flag was flying at half massed that week. I let the team down.

Don't share this with anyone.

onslowe
11-30-2014, 02:52 PM
I enjoy watching it now and then. It is pretty hokey but it takes me back to my youth watching it with my parents.

Exactly my sentiments.

eweissenbach
11-30-2014, 02:52 PM

I will confide with this group what I have whispered to others that I could trust with this secret. We own timeshare and two years ago when we stayed in San Diageo [El Secondo or something like that] we traded our unit for a unit at the Lawrence Welk Resort.

Once upon a time I had a pony tail, wore patched jeans and partied at Grateful Dead concerts. Now I'm trading Hilton Heads weeks for the big "One-na and a Two-a" man with the bubble machine. My freak flag was flying at half massed that week. I let the team down.

Ha, your secret is safe with me.

missypie
11-30-2014, 04:26 PM

We also went to the Timeshare with my Grandma years ago and we all enjoyed the place. It was beautiful. I think it was in Escondido CA.

Halibut
11-30-2014, 07:09 PM

Aw, man! I feel so let down. ;)

And what about Liberace? I did enjoy him, even as a kid, but I swear none of us even considered the thought that he might be gay. It simply wasn't a part of the conversation, at least outside Hollywood circles. "He's such an entertainer! So flamboyant and outrageous! Too bad he hasn't found a nice woman to settle down with."

manaboutown
11-30-2014, 07:44 PM
I grew up in the same town as Cissy King, one of the dancers on the Lawrence Welk show; I remember dancing with her a few times. She was very pretty as well as athletic in high school and college.

The lonely divorced mother of one of my guy friends in grade school used to watch and loved Liberace. Somehow I sensed, mostly from his smile, he was gay even way back then.

In the last couple of years I tuned into a few Lawrence Welk reruns and watched them just for fun. Frankly, I prefer Hee Haw reruns because I had a crush on Sunshine Cornsilk (Lisa Todd).

tomwed
11-30-2014, 07:55 PM
We also went to the Timeshare with my Grandma years ago and we all enjoyed the place. It was beautiful. I think it was in Escondido CA.
That's just great. That's the place. Me and your grandma thought it was wonderful. Did you her eyes also get watery when she saw his poured concrete concrete statue? Et Tu Brute?

manaboutown
11-30-2014, 08:02 PM
The Lawrence Welk Show was sponsored by Dodge, Geritol, a sleep aid Sominex, a laxative Serutan and Polident. Does that tell us anything?

The Welk resort in North San Diego County is on 450 acres. It remains popular. My son lived nearby in Escondido for a couple of years.

2BNTV
12-01-2014, 10:50 AM

Takes me back to when my aunt and uncle watched and thought it was the cat's meow.

I sometimes run across it when perusing channels and watch for a while. Some old standards never get old, when done well. :smiley:

fraurauch
12-02-2014, 04:40 AM
My 25 year old granddaughter who was in college was in a class being taught by someone named Paul Welk. He identified himself as Lawrence Welk's grandson. She was the only one in the class who knew who Lawrence Welk was, as she used to watch the show with us as a young child.

village dreamer
12-02-2014, 08:09 AM
not on my top 10000 shows to see again. that show was old back then.

tomwed
12-02-2014, 08:32 AM
Wasn't thet guy Dennis O'Day annoying?
I was dating a girl in fact we were "going out." That's what they called going steady in the 70's where I lived. Her mother enjoyed women's roller derby and Lawrence Welk so sometimes I'd have to sit through those shows until her mother got sleepy and we would sneak into the basement. Her mother's dream was to some day waltz with Lawrence Welk.

I could understand if she had the hots for Frank Sinatra or Clint Eastwood but Lawrence Welk.................................. ? really?

My dad had a thing for Barbara Eden, I Dream of Genie. He took a lot of ribbing about that.

manaboutown
12-02-2014, 08:38 AM
As of 5-10 years ago Barbara Eden STILL looked good up close and personal. She was also very pleasant and hospitable when I met her.

graciegirl
12-02-2014, 08:40 AM

I agree. If I am in the mood, but NOT the whole show.

Yung Dum
03-07-2015, 11:25 PM
I agree. If I am in the mood, but NOT the whole show.
And I also agree. I hated it back then, but now it's a nice memory.....for a few minutes.

Greg Nelson
03-08-2015, 04:00 AM
I've visited LW's home in Strasbourg, ND. I'm from Fargo, ND. I liked the Lennon sisters. Hit Parade was big back then too

Walt.
04-04-2015, 09:29 AM
The lonely divorced mother of one of my guy friends in grade school used to watch and loved Liberace. Somehow I sensed, mostly from his smile, he was gay even way back then.
(Lisa Todd).

What!! OK... I can understand Lorne Greene, Raymond Burr, and Mr. Ed... but Liberace??? Not that there's anything wrong with it...

John_W
04-04-2015, 10:40 AM
In 1968 when I had just graduated from St. Petersburg High I had a summer job as an elevator operator at the Dennis Hotel in downtown. It was 7 stories tall and about 80 units and nobody ever checked in, all the guests were seniors and lived there fulltime. The elevator was an old-timer that had the cage door and I opened by hand and next to the door was a handle control that I moved to make the elevator go up or down. It took a little practice to get the elevator to come to a stop that was level with the floor. If it was off by an inch or two nobody would step out.

Every evening most all the guests would come down to the lobby and watch Lawrence Welk on TV. There would be about 50 people watching that show and when it ended, they all wanted to go on the elevator back to their room. That was the big rush for the day.