PDA

View Full Version : Router Question

jnieman
12-03-2014, 06:49 PM
I get over 60 mbps on my Xfinity speed test on our standalone computer in the bedroom. In the living room about 40 ft away I just tested and got 22 mbps. I figured the speed was higher in the bedroom because the router and modem are directly hooked up to the computer. So in the living room I am using the wi-fi. If I kept the router still connected in the bedroom but ran the wires and had the actual router in the living room, do you think that it may increase the speed equal to the bedroom? This way the signal would be closer and not through a wall. Does it work that way?

billethkid
12-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Comcast has told me that a direct connect will have speeds as you experience. That wifi speeds will be half, usually even less.

villagetinker
12-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Comcast coming tomorrow for exactly the same reason. Tried the hard wired direct connect with their tech support, and was about 1/5 of the rat I am paying for. Thy think there is a problem with the modem. We will see.

jnieman
12-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Excellent Question... Not all wireless routers or radio’s are the same when it comes to wireless signal strength. If you’re computer has a direct cable connection - there is no substitution for speed when it comes to direct connections - because of the physical properties of the medium or connection method. Also the 802.11 standard you’re current router uses also determines the speed.

As an example the 802.11(g) has a theoretical speed of 54Mbps @ 50’ away. 802.11(n) has a theoretical speed of 300~450Mbps @ 175’ away. Also the types of materials surrounding the radio waves will affect strength, speed and signal reach.

Here’s a few options that can help increase wireless strength/speed:
1) Move the router closer to the area where increased radio strength is need, just like you asked - so yes extending a cable into the area will work.
2) Install a quality AP (Access Point). A better quality radio will have different methods of creating the radio waves which are more efficient with the newer standards as well as how the information is passed
3) Mount the AP high, as in a ceiling mounted device or a plant shelf - Signals tend to radiate better when mounted high

I know it was a little technical but I hope this helped. If you have any question, feel free to call me anytime.

Thank you so much for the information. It's good to know just how the router works. I do understand your explanation and will give them a try. I really appreciate your taking the time to respond.

villagetinker
12-05-2014, 09:23 AM
All, Comcast came out yesterday as promised, short story, modem was either bad or not rated for the speed I was paying for (105 mbps). Checked signal levels were not right, too high? Replaced modem, retested, and hardwired speed was over 110 mbps!!!! Wireless was 40-45 mbps, not bad since wireless theoretical limit is 54 mbps.

By the way this was supposedly done at no cost as Comcast was able to determine remotely that there was a problem with their equipment, and apparently they actually had 2, defective modem and high signal level.

jnieman
12-05-2014, 10:12 AM
All, Comcast came out yesterday as promised, short story, modem was either bad or not rated for the speed I was paying for (105 mbps). Checked signal levels were not right, too high? Replaced modem, retested, and hardwired speed was over 110 mbps!!!! Wireless was 40-45 mbps, not bad since wireless theoretical limit is 54 mbps.

By the way this was supposedly done at no cost as Comcast was able to determine remotely that there was a problem with their equipment, and apparently they actually had 2, defective modem and high signal level.

Congrats on getting it fixed. I did have Comcast here out a while back for this issue and the modem is pretty new that we have and tests fine. Our router is also new. I plan to move the router to the other room and see if that helps.