PDA

View Full Version : Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Muncle
05-04-2008, 01:59 AM
This movie is on NBC ABC at this moment. Seen it before and it's a very good movie. I expect the sequel, Prince Caspian, to be just as good when it comes out in 2 weeks. However, the reason I posted was to remind everyone that as good as the movies are, the books are even better. In theory, C. S. Lewis wrote these books as fantasies for children. For that I thank him because it makes them so much easier to read than some of his other works. Though he's more easily understood than most philosopher/theologians, he can get pretty deep at times.

I read Tolkien years ago when he was a minor cult figure of the 60's. Totally loved all four books, but not enough to pursue JRR's more obtuse writings. When the Harry Potter rage hit, I decided I'd find out what my great nephews and nieces were so into. Again, absolutely loved them. In both series I saw so many layers of plot, of message, that I could readily understand why they crossed age boundaries so easily (a la Mark Twain?). I started looking for similar books and came across Narnia. I was surprised to find that Lewis and Tolkien had been close friend and had been amused (and bewildered) by The Screwtape Letters, the only piece of his I'd read. Well, obviously I found The Chronicles of Narnia to be all that I hoped for and expected. (Another aside: I sent the series to my sister-in-law who'd read them years ago. We had the experience of her reading them to her grandchildren while I was reading them at home. My greatniece and g-nephew would often discuss the story and what was happening to favorite characters.) I strongly encourage anyone with the slightest interest to read them. They're a series of stories, seven in all. You can read them piecemeal as I did or one after another. Like Tolkien, I'd advise reading them in chronological order of the story rather than the order in which they were written. Much more sensible.

The reading lamp is now extinguished.

Just Susan
05-04-2008, 02:42 AM
I totally agree with you Muncle. I have read all three series also and thoroughly enjoyed them all. Like you, I read Tolkien in the 60's, the other two series of course, over the last 10-15 years. I recommend them all highly.
Another series/author that I enjoyed is Terry Brooks. Have you read Sword of Shannara, and the books that follow it?

Boomer
05-04-2008, 03:19 AM
If you know kids who like fantasy fiction a lot, you may want to have a look at the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. Jacques began writing the series when he drove the milk truck that delivered to a school for blind children. He wrote for the kids there so he really knows how to create pictures with words.

If kids take to this series, they become completely immersed. There are kids who don't like it because the characters are animals. Depends on who the kid wants running his fantasy fiction I guess. I think the animals fight some pretty good fights, maybe some wars even.

Here's a link to the author's website.

http://www.redwall.org/dave/jacques.html

Boomer

beady
05-04-2008, 02:13 PM
I watched the movie last night and I was fascinated.

I had avoided Lewis, exactly as you say, because I got lost in his depth.

My grandkids are a bit young for the Narnia cronicles , but I will read them and then get to introduce them to it as they become ready.

Taltarzac
05-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Do not forget the other young adult fantasy series on which they have also made at least one movie. That's His Dark Materials. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Dark_Materials

Cannot say I liked these as much as the Harry Potter series nor the Lord of the Rings series but they are kind of fun if you like a sampling of say Andy Rooney to go with your CS Lewis. I mean in the guise of Rooney's opinions on religion.

I am not familiar with it but there seems to be a vampire series of books for young adults that is also very popular right now with the youth???