PDA

View Full Version : visit to the villages

batesgraf
05-06-2008, 02:24 PM
I will be visiting the villages in May. I understand the area is very large. Are there small villages that are nicer than others? If I am making a quick trip are there places I should be sure to see? This is my first posting.

redwitch
05-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Take a trolley ride. Visit the squares (but don't restrict yourself to living near one over the other -- they're both easily accessible from wherever you live). Talk to people. Have fun!

The trolley ride will give you a good idea of where you might to start looking for a home. Personally, I think each area has its pluses and minuses. A lot will, of course, depend on how much house you want and can afford to purchase. Another factor will be if you want new or pre-owned.

I prefer the older and historic section because the folliage is full, lush, beautiful. I like that there are less restrictions even if I don't like some people's taste in lawn decor. I don't mind the concept of a manufactured home. I don't mind a small patio villa. So, for me, it is north of 466.

Others prefer a new home with less problems. They'll buy closer to 466A.

Some are in the middle -- want some older growth, some landscaping, some restrictions. They're buying pre-owned south of 466.

JohnN
05-07-2008, 03:38 PM
define "nicer".

TV is a great community, period. However, depending on your price points, interests, etc. some areas will be more attractive than others. As redwitch said, the newer areas are farther to the south, yet the older and historic (east side) are beautiful too.

Big house? small patio villa or manufactured home? Proximity to shopping or squares?

batesgraf
05-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to my trip and to a visit.

Russ_Boston
05-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Bates - I would suggest that you rent a golf cart and drive INTO as many villages as you can. You'll notice that most, not all, villages have a nice mix of villas, ranches, designer homes. Some with rear privacy, some not. Some with pools, many not. Look at all three districts to get the flavor (Historic, South of 441/27, South of 466)

Tour some open houses, listed every day in the Daily Sun.

I was there a week ago and I:

Played golf
Played pickleball
Took in a few nights at the squares with my TOTV friends
Toured numerous open houses
Took advantage of most of the freebies on the preview plan
Toured the hospital
Went to the pool for a couple of hours every day
Spent some quit time on the lanai
Took the trolley ride

graciegirl
05-11-2008, 09:58 AM
You are right, The villages is a substantial place, with at times more than 70,000 people and I think 40 or 50 villages.(Maybe more) The manufactured homes and the bigger homesites with sitebuilt homes are to the north in Lake County. These areas frequently have more affordable homes with more lovely views and established big trees and lush beautiful landscape.

However south of 466 and particularly in The Village that they are building right now, (HADLEY) you will find brand new homes and some great prices too, because the housing crunch has affected The Villages prices too.

You cannot build a house right now. You can only pick a house and don't expect pressure from the representatives of the developer. It is the biggest surprise. NO sales pitch, No pressure.

Write to The Villages and buy a five dollar map and study it. It is the only one that makes sense.(It is still hard to conceptualize at first) Go to Lyle Gant's site. (He is an "outside realtor" )and download the different model home plans. That is overwhelming until you realize that they are divided into;
Villas
Ranches
Designer homes
and the most expensive and most beautiful Premier homes

Some of those have a frame and a stucco version. Different names, same house basically inside.

The downside is that many houses are built very close together in the back, at least that was a downside to me. The houses with back privacy and a view are more expensive. However the smaller homesites have far less maintenance and give you more time to swim, golf , shuffleboard, take a class, socialize and dance at Katie Belles.

All homes are lovely and interesting.

HOWEVER, the homes are not the biggest draw, it is the people, grown up people with smiles for you, welcoming helpful attitudes. Don't hesitate to ask question in a restaurant or just anywhere. Don't forget to smile and wave while in a golf cart, on the trolley, or boat.

Have a wonderful time and be like us, who weren't going to love it and weren't going to buy a house..............and loved it and bought a house, so that we all can live in Paradise together.

Welcome and hugs,
GracieGirl, husband (aka Sweetie) and grown up daughter, Helene.