PDA

View Full Version : Listing my villa

Evelyn
05-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Would appreciate input from you folks out there in cyberspace about whether or not
to list my villa with a Villages sales rep or with an outside realtor? Thanks a lot of any
words of wisdom forthcoming (I hope).

Muncle
05-06-2008, 09:24 PM
First of all, I would talk to a rep of Properties of the Villages and at least 2 or 3 independent realtors. That should give you a good sense of what your place should go for and a couple views of the current market. Do the follow-up and contact references for each realtor. There's often a lot of difference between a presentation and how the realtor actually performs. Then chose whichever one makes you most comfortable.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each choice. I've heard horror stories about listing with Properties, how they use resales solely to push new homes. And I've heard of homes that sold immediately. The same with Re/Max, Coldwell Banker, Ken Casey, Prestige Properties, Era, and the others. Some immediate sales, some on the market forever. The important thing is to get a realtor with whom you feel comfortable and who has the tools to get the job done.

If push came to shove, though, I'd likely recommend an independent realtor who would use the MLS, but not by much.

Barefoot
05-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Evelyn, I will send you a PM later this evening. I have some definite feelings (perhaps some I shouldn't share publicly) re VLS and MLS based on my experience with both systems, and also based on my background as a real estate broker.

JohnN
05-06-2008, 11:11 PM
I think the MLS are more focused on your interests in making a sale, as opposed to the TV reps, where it really is "new first"

When I visited last year, I'd sent a list of a dozen resales I wanted to see, and the rep never took me to see 'em!!!! after visiting a few new, he said he'd "run out of time" and never bothered to show the resales.

PS- I might be in the market for a villa, if you want to share in a message

redwitch
05-06-2008, 11:17 PM
This is semi-secondhand information but I know the person who told it to me quite well. She and her husband are residents of TV. They owned a villa in Calumet Grove, fell in love with a house in Tall Trees. Although their house had not sold, they bought their new home. They placed their property with TV Sales. They got an offer after a few months -- the man put a deposit down, held by TV. It turns out he also put a deposit on another house -- also listed with TV. He decided to buy the other house. Not only did they not get the sale, TV kept the deposit. They then decided to sell by owner. After 6 weeks of doing an open house every weekend, they sold their Calumet Grove property for more than TV had recommended as the selling price.

So, if you do go with TV, be very careful how things worded re deposits, etc.

graciegirl
05-08-2008, 09:25 PM
I think the MLS are more focused on your interests in making a sale, as opposed to the TV reps, where it really is "new first"

When I visited last year, I'd sent a list of a dozen resales I wanted to see, and the rep never took me to see 'em!!!! after visiting a few new, he said he'd "run out of time" and never bothered to show the resales.

PS- I might be in the market for a villa, if you want to share in a message

The very same thing happened to us just two weeks ago. The rep never mentioned the list of resales I wanted to see. We bought new, mostly after our own efforts to see houses.

TomW
05-17-2008, 03:11 AM
IN the interest of balance, our rep showed us properties ranging from trailers in the historic area, 90's construction north of 466, to new constuction in Hadley and Amelia. We have been on three house hunting trips to TV and each time our rep does yoeman's work helping us see properties. My conclusion is it all depends on who you get as a rep.

Our friends decidedly did not hit it off with their rep but, for some reason, are reluctant to ask for someone else. Obviously there experience is quite a bit less satisfactory than ours.

JohnN
05-24-2008, 01:11 AM
I'd use MLS,
TV reps have no real interest in selling your listing, new construction is their focus.
Just how it is, shouldn't be a secret to anyone.

handieman
05-24-2008, 02:09 AM
I don't think any realtor knows the Villages any better than www.lylesellsfla.com take a look.
Handie :joke:

cologal
05-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Just bought a house from a TV rep. Came down on a lifestyle in April ....no sales pressure. Arrived Saturday we sent him a list of presale places we wanted to see..he put the whole day aside for us. We looked at 9 properties including one in the new area.

We bought a presale....

Great Job from my TV rep.

Lil Dancer
05-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Just a quick note - the salespeople in The Villages are just that - sales people. They are not bound by the code of ethics that realtors are, and depending on the sales person you get, may not be as knowledgeable about real estate in general as you'd like.

graciegirl
05-31-2008, 02:09 PM
I don't think any realtor knows the Villages any better than www.lylesellsfla.com take a look.
Handie :joke:

We bought new, but if we had shopped for a resale, he would have been our choice. I was impressed by the information available on Lyle's website and downloaded his house plans and maps. I had contacted another person because she had a house listed we were interested in, and she got real cold when I said we weren't sure we would buy this trip. She said that prices were going to go up...and they haven't. I know that people make a living on a sale but I HATE pressure of any kind.

kit9240
06-24-2008, 04:07 PM
I was there on my 2nd visit two weeks ago. Both times, I had a list of resales that I wanted to see. My sales rep had a different agenda. She only wanted to show me a few different styles and concentrated on new. She did show me one resale that her partner had listed, but didn't know anything about the others that I was interested in.

I'll be ready to buy in about 1 year, and I will contact Lylesellsfla and also Milford Leedy.

As stated above, TV agents only want to sell new!

Shirleevee
06-24-2008, 04:26 PM
When we started looking Jan.2008, our Villages realtor, Kathy Webb,

took us to approximately nine homes. All were resales except one.

We bought the second resale home we saw.

Shirleevee & Sailor

joannej
06-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Evelyn,

What did you finally decide to do? My husband and I are going to be in TV a week from now. We will be looking at resale CYV's (3 bedroom or 2 bedroom and 1 den) and new one's too. Is your villa on the market yet? Joanne

NJblue
06-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Looking at it from the other perspective, if your sales rep knows that you will not be in the market to buy for at least another year, doesn't it make sense to only show the new homes? After all, the people at that stage are really only looking to get a feel for floor plans, etc. Showing a resale would require taking extra time to clear it with the sellers and then cause the sellers to be put out to get their home ready for some strangers who have no intention on buying your home to come walking through it. This seems like an invasion of privacy to me.

If this is what is happening, I give the TV reps credit for a) taking the time that they do when they know that there will be no sales opportunity for perhaps years and b) avoiding extra hassles for the sellers when there is almost zero chance for a sale.

However, if you went down there saying that you were ready to buy and indicated an openness for resales and still the only properties that they were willing to show you were new, then that's a problem.

ohiogolf
06-24-2008, 07:19 PM
in purchasing we worked with a Villages rep, Michelle Halloy, and gave her a list of pre-owned homes we wanted to see. She took us to all of them plus a couple more in the same bracket. We were NOT steered to a new home though that is where we ended up based on price and other considerations of our own.

graciegirl
06-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Looking at it from the other perspective, if your sales rep knows that you will not be in the market to buy for at least another year, doesn't it make sense to only show the new homes? After all, the people at that stage are really only looking to get a feel for floor plans, etc. Showing a resale would require taking extra time to clear it with the sellers and then cause the sellers to be put out to get their home ready for some strangers who have no intention on buying your home to come walking through it. This seems like an invasion of privacy to me.

If this is what is happening, I give the TV reps credit for a) taking the time that they do when they know that there will be no sales opportunity for perhaps years and b) avoiding extra hassles for the sellers when there is almost zero chance for a sale.

However, if you went down there saying that you were ready to buy and indicated an openness for resales and still the only properties that they were willing to show you were new, then that's a problem.

Excellent logic. I think now that is exactly what happened. Our rep asked us what our plans were and we said we did not plan to buy for at least a year. (We bought that week)

smalldog
06-25-2008, 11:48 AM
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm107/smalldog2008/IMG_0171-3.jpg
Smalldog Sez When we came to The Villages our house sold to fast so we had to make decisions we have now reconsidered ::) .... if you can try to rent for a while do so, :bigthumbsup: that way you can investigate the different villages which are really quite different. look at the historical section and the section north of 466. and don't look for much help from the Villages sales people. .... they aren't there to please you ..... we had thought since we had the girls ( 2 pugs) renting was not a option but not so :o ..... it is quite difficult to reconsider after the fact ........ I don't think we had the advantage of this site when we came, either :read:

moose60061
06-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Hey smalldog, I would like to rent in TV and was wondering if I could find a 2-3 year lease rather than just a traditional 1 year lease. Can you reflect upon the availablity of a long term rental based upon what you have seen?
Thanks,
Tom up in Chicago suburb

jmemc46
03-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Would you like to share who that TV Rep. is.
Thank you

jmemc46
03-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Would you like to Share.I'm sure that Tv rep would appreciate it.
Thank you

Bill-n-Brillo
03-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Nearly 3 year old thread........

Bill :)