PDA

View Full Version : Istanbul

784caroline
05-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Matt Lauer from the today show just visited Istanbul as part of his series Where in the World is Matt Lauer? I did not catch all of it but this looks like an absolutly beautiful city. Given that we will be docking about 2pm one afternoon and leaving 5 pm the NEXT day what are "must" see spots. I know the Blue Mosque, Topakai Palace, the Harem, and the Bazzars (Grand and spice) are the highlghts that are on our list. What are we missing?? We are hoping to hire a local licensed english speaking tour guide recommended to us.

Also has anyone done the "evening in Instanbul" tour??? Is it worth it?

deano_hoosier
05-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Matt Lauer from the today show just visited Istanbul as part of his series Where in the World is Matt Lauer? I did not catch all of it but this looks like an absolutly beautiful city. Given that we will be docking about 2pm one afternoon and leaving 5 pm the NEXT day what are "must" see spots. I know the Blue Mosque, Topakai Palace, the Harem, and the Bazzars (Grand and spice) are the highlghts that are on our list. What are we missing?? We are hoping to hire a local licensed english speaking tour guide recommended to us.

Also has anyone done the "evening in Instanbul" tour??? Is it worth it?

Sounds about right from our visit to Istanbul. Be sure to be deck side on your ship for the views into/out of the harbor. The relics museum at Topakai Palace is special. Also, the meals you can buy at the restaurant (down several stairs) is pretty good, as well! The men in your party will need pants at the Blue Mosque, or they'll be outfitted with a skirt. As a matter of fact you might just neglect to tell them that so you can get pic's of them in skirts ;D

pili
05-09-2008, 05:50 PM
784Caroline,

You have all the great spots to see in Istanbul listed. The Palace takes half day or more. The Blue Mosque and Haggia Sofia are almost next to each other so you can do both in one hour. The Great Bazaar is great shopping and can take a long time. I could have spent a day there. The shopping was great. We bought a beautiful rug (not at the Bazaar). Unfortunately we were mugged in Athens (before we got on our ship) and I had to cancel my credit card. I had no credit card to shop so once I ran out of money that was it. Great buys in leather coats also.

If you don't have a balcony, try to be on deck as you approach Istanbul. The view is awesome!!!

We loved Istanbul and I'd love to go back (and do the shopping I miss among other things). Have a wonderful trip. The nice thing about it is Istanbul is a secular city. People will tell you over and over again "they are secular...not Muslims". You see a few women covered from head to toe but those are the minority. Will you be making a stop in Ephesus? It's outstanding.

Have a great trip!!!

Pili :)

784caroline
05-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Pili
Thanks for your input. On the today show the "secular" part is what they emphasized also. We are trying to make arranegements with a local licensed guide to help us for the day and half we are in port in Instanbul...but we are having trouble connecting with him.

Sorry to hear about your mugging in athens.....I hear of alot of pick-pockets that you have to be careful of all through out Europe especially the Gypyies in Venice!!

bestmickey
05-10-2008, 04:22 PM
IMHO, you must take a side trip to Ephesus. It is THE most fascinating destination I've ever visited. It was once a seaport city and the Temple of Artemis (one of the 7 wonders of antiquity) is here. I visited Ephesus during a layover while on a Greek cruise. Your ship can probably arrange for the same trip.

[color=blue]You will very much enjoy the sites you already noted. There is enough time to see them and also visit Ephesus. We were in port for approximately the same number of hours.

For much more info, go to: http://www.ephesus.us/

784caroline
05-10-2008, 09:51 PM
I have heard many great things about Ephesus but unfortunately our ship is not stopping at this location and it is too far from Istanbul for a quick day-trip especiallly given the fact that there is so much to do in and immediately around Istanbul.....and we have never been there.

chelsea24
05-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks Best Mickey for posting Ephesus. I honestly had never heard of it. Now it's on my "Must See" list of places. :bigthumbsup:

784caroline
06-23-2008, 01:11 PM
WE just booked a local tour guide in Turkey for 2 days in Istanbul. He also provides tour services for Ephesus and I personally know people who have used his service in both cities and he comes highly rated. His costs are comparable to slightly lower to the ship tour, BUT we will get a personal private tour for 6 people....all in English.

Check out his web site at http://www.leventsolmaz.com

swrinfla
06-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Caroline:

It's a Good Thing to have a "private" tour at Ephesus. My late wife and I were there ages ago, and had a tour with a delightful guide of "a certain age" who was superb. That is, he was in his early sixties and therefore near our age. There was one other couple with us.

When we toured Ephesus, the guide delighted in showing us little features that the "cruise ship tourists" were missing out on, because they were so time-constrained!

We loved Istanbul. One word: be strong, sturdy and adamant about ignoring the begging children everywhere. They'll try desparately to sell you "Parisian" flip-flops, or the like. Give them a decidedly firm, "Hayir." That is pronounced haw-yeer and is "No."

They do back away.

SWR