PDA

View Full Version : Red Bruises on Forearms

DELTADWN
12-11-2014, 02:26 PM
Does anyone here have problems with reddish-purple splotches on their forearms (top of)? If so, have you discovered any successful way to at least reduce the awful appearance? From searching the internet, I assume I must have Senile Purpura as all of the symptoms apply. I entertained the thought of seeing a dermatologist, but if all they're going to tell me is it is not life threatening, and send me on my merry way - what purpose would that serve?

My arms have really gotten worse and look terrible - every size and shape of bruises. I deal with the public and I am embarrassed to expose my arms, and it's too hot to wear long-sleeved shirts. If any of you have a suggestion, I'm all for trying it (within reason).

jnieman
12-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Does anyone here have problems with reddish-purple splotches on their forearms (top of)? If so, have you discovered any successful way to at least reduce the awful appearance? From searching the internet, I assume I must have Senile Purpura as all of the symptoms apply. I entertained the thought of seeing a dermatologist, but if all they're going to tell me is it is not life threatening, and send me on my merry way - what purpose would that serve?

My arms have really gotten worse and look terrible - every size and shape of bruises. I deal with the public and I am embarrassed to expose my arms, and it's too hot to wear long-sleeved shirts. If any of you have a suggestion, I'm all for trying it (within reason).

I know my mom had splotches on her arms from being on a blood thinner. Blood would accumulate under the skin in blotching/bruising looking areas.

Bogie Shooter
12-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Go to the Doctor.

CFrance
12-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Go to the Doctor.
What he said. How do you know it's just nothing? I'd rather have a professional tell me that rather than diagnosing myself.

dbussone
12-11-2014, 06:26 PM
I know my mom had splotches on her arms from being on a blood thinner. Blood would accumulate under the skin in blotching/bruising looking areas.

This is a common occurrence with blood thinners. If on warfarin or cumadin, the dose probably requires regulation.

dbussone
12-11-2014, 06:26 PM
This is a common occurrence with blood thinners. If on warfarin or cumadin, the dose probably requires regulation.

And I should have added "Go to the doctor."

dotti105
12-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Been to the Doc about mine. They are ugly and last about 2 weeks. I WISH they were bruises. Bruises look so much better!!

The Med opinion is just what you said:
Condition:non life threatening.
Cause: Sun exposure
Result: thin skin with decreased collegan below the surface to buffer the bumps that
then cause broken vessels under the skin that pool into those lovely Senile Purpura
splotches
TX: none really.

My doc did say to try some gylcolic acid cream which should help to rebuild the collegan. but no real success so far.

Lots of those little round band aids are included in my fashion accessories these days. In the winter at tleast we can wear long sleeves.

villages07
12-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Google it...vitamin k cream applied to the area can make the splotches fade out quicker. Dermatologist said it is primarily sun damage, although aspirin/blood thinner don't help. Every time I bump my arm on something, it can create the bruise like splotch. I think he called it solar puplera (sp?)

manaboutown
12-11-2014, 11:21 PM
Many anglo men I have known over the years from their sixties on experience this condition on their forearms. i never ask them about it but it seems to be quite common in New Mexico where the sun is strong almost all of the time.

dotti105
12-11-2014, 11:51 PM
"Solar purpura" is SOOO much more acceptable than "senile purpura". Same thing though.

I'll give the vitamin K a try. I've used Arnica which helps with bruising, but noticed no real difference with the purpura patches.

hansel
12-12-2014, 09:25 AM
I use ARNICARE.............all natural and lightens marks. Available in most drug stores.Good for pain, swelling and soreness also. First used on the advice of a surgeon and everyone I have told about it swears by it also. TRY IT.

graciegirl
12-12-2014, 09:36 AM
Please go to the doctor. I recommend Dr. Casper at Alliance Dermatology on 466 across the street from Mission Hills.

Could it be this? Still another named Purpura?

Bateman's Purpura: Purple Blotches and Easy Bruising of Hands and Forearms - Disabled World (http://www.disabled-world.com/health/dermatology/skin/bruising-limbs.php)

boomerbaby
12-12-2014, 08:01 PM
You really should not fool around with this. It could be a few different things one involving your blood. A quick check by the dr. will not only make you feel better but you will treat it correctly. Good luck.

Nancy@Pinellas
12-17-2014, 10:22 AM
I had bruises on my forearms and it was determined that my purse caused them. I switched to a cross body bag and it stopped. My aspirin a day caused me to bruise easily. I hope your problem is as easy to cure as mine was.

bamagal08
12-21-2014, 12:45 PM
Hi, I do know that if your taking daily aspirin or any blood thinners that will cause easy bruising. Vitamin E, will contribute to bruising.. Ibuprofen and the like also.. I have the same problem..Try to avoid these meds if possible.. Good luck..

kstew43
12-21-2014, 01:21 PM
I had bruises on my forearms and it was determined that my purse caused them. I switched to a cross body bag and it stopped. My aspirin a day caused me to bruise easily. I hope your problem is as easy to cure as mine was.

same here, but i also have tears and most of the time I didnt even realize my skin had torn till the blood started dropping off me.....walking by a bush or in getting to close to a shelf in a store....blood dripping down my arms and the top of my my hands is also bad.....i bruise taking my watch off......I am also on a aspirin 80mg.......every other day,

getting old sucks....