PDA

View Full Version : weather acclimation

batesgraf
05-09-2008, 01:59 PM
I am considering moving to TV from Maine. I was wondering if anyone else has moved from a cold climate to TV and how long it takes to become adjusted to the warm climate. I would probably be a full time resident.

redwitch
05-09-2008, 02:05 PM
I really think it is an individual thing. Most seem to have no problem with the Florida winters. It is the humidity during the summer that's the killer to many (including me). I think it will probably take me about 5 years to get truly acclimated but I'm also one of those people whose body thermostat refuses to adjust to change.

Taltarzac
05-09-2008, 02:10 PM
I moved back to the Santa Rosa, CA (Sonoma County-- just north of San Francisco and Marin County) area from Minneapolis back in late 1991 and did not seem to have much of a problem. Then moved to Palm Harbor, FL in 1996. Still not much of a problem. Palm Harbor is in the Tampa Bay area.

The biggest problem I have had is when going back into the cold climates after my body has adjusted to the weather here in Central Florida.

I got really cold just visiting El Paso, Texas in early December of 2001.

villages07
05-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Bates...

I'm sure everyone adjusts differently. If you were to plunk yourself into TV in the middle of August, coming from Maine, the heat and humidity may take awhile to adjust to.

If, however you were here all during spring leading up to winter, the adjustment is much more gradual. We don't seem to have great temperature extremes here (i.e. 95 one day, 75 the next). The warm-up from April into May to June, etc is very gradual. Once we get into the 90s, though, it pretty much stays there til late Sept. Mostly, no higher than about 93, although we did have quite a few hotter days last summer.

And, you adapt....do outside stuff early or late and spend mid-day at the pool or in air conditioning.

Having come from the DC area with its high humidity, I felt the summer climate here was very tolerable.

JohnN
05-09-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm not in Florida fulltime yet, but have spent a lot of time there.

I think it's gorgeous 9 months a year.

During the hot months - summer, I've learned to enjoy the mornings and evenings , which are very nice, and take a "siesta" or do things indoors during the midday heat, which is pretty brutal. And that works great for me

beady
05-09-2008, 02:50 PM
I have lived in the Northeast all my life, Maine, Mass and NH. We moved here in November as full time residents. I personally think it was a good time to start the acclimation. It was still warm when we arrived and slowly the temperatures started to moderate.Now as spring has progressed and the temps are on the rise I am adjusting nicely. I hope that by the time the heavy heat of summer arrives I will be able to tolerate it well.
I would think that arriving in the summer would be a big adjustment, so if you can avoid that you will most likely do just fine. IMHO ::) ::)

barbararule
05-20-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi,

My husband and I are from NH. We were sick of the cold, long winters. My husband loves the heat, even in the summer. From my point of view, I would tell you that if you are here in the summer you won't want to do any outside "work". the homes are airconditioned so you don't have to remain in the heat if it gets too hot. I don't know how long it takes for the "blood to thin" but personally, living in the villages is worth a little heat.
Barbara

784caroline
05-22-2008, 10:19 PM
The adjustment from N Va (30 miles south of DC) to FLorida was not that great for the temps and humidity are about the same except for longer periods in florida. Although I have to admit many men older than I can play tennis in the summer heat longer than I simply because they are used to the heat and humidity of Florida....so sports is a differnent issue!! Now my brother who lives in Up state NY....he has a major adjustment during the summer when he comes south in the summer.

aln
05-22-2008, 10:28 PM
We came from WISC. Arrived in October. 1st winter was great and we became accustomed to summer gradually. Next winter felt cool at times. Personally, I couldn't wait till summer. I LOVE IT~

Always breezy as opposed to the humidity of Milwaukee.
:welcome: