PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a decent vet in the villages?

flowerpower55
05-10-2008, 08:13 PM
hi everyone
we have a beautiful l7 year old sheltie
she can see hear still is playful but has some arthiritis now..
living in tv 3 years ..and still have not found a decent vet.
i hardly take her anymore at her age to a vet..but it would be nice
if someone knew a vet that cared for senior dogs and was halfway
decent.
any suggestions or referrals are most welcome.
thank you and God bless
p.s. its a miracle she looks and acts so great for l7, everyone loves here in the town squares when we take her out:)
take care...
marlene in tv

ouma1938
05-10-2008, 08:25 PM
I can't help on this one but would like to add that if anyone knows a good vet for birds I would be greateful. We will be moving to TV as soon as our house sells and I have a kitten and bird and need an avian vet. I have a terrific vet here in SC and am trying to convince her to move to TV but no luck so far. Any thoughts would be great!
Thanks

Avista
05-10-2008, 11:47 PM
We've been very pleased with Park Heights. Their sister vet is Village Animal Hospital. Here is their web site. You can read about their vets.

Park Heights is not too far from 466A and 27/441. Coming from 466A, make a right. It is on the right hand side of the road.
http://www.meowandbowwow.com/home.shtml

Taltarzac
05-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Same here. We have the same Vets at the Villages Veterinarian.

SteveZ
05-11-2008, 01:39 PM
After a miserable experience with "Paws," at the recommendation of our Lakeland Terrier's groomer, went to Dr. Timothy Porter in Wildwood. Quite satisfied!

beady
05-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Mulberry Grove Animal Hospital on Hwy 42. Two great doc's. Fair prices and caring people.

beady
05-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Forgot to mention thay take care of our senior cocker spaniel who has arthritis, and heart problems. He is 12 and thinks he is 3, still active because of his good caring vet.

mpfrancese
05-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the information on finding a vet. We just retired and will be coming to the Village with our cocker spaniel "Madison". She's a rescued dog. I've had her 8 years already. Vet thought she was around 5 or 6 when I adopted her. But I think they were wrong ... she is much too fiesty and still jumps like a rabbit when she knows I'm giving her a treat!! I'm worried about the move though, she scares very easily and I'm not sure how she is going to handle new surroundings.

marianne237
05-21-2008, 08:23 PM
I know it's not proper to say this, but do stay away from Paws Vet Clinic. She caused my dog to lose her hearing, and their fees are out of line IMHO.

mfp509
05-21-2008, 08:23 PM
I take my dog to Dr Valdez at Park Heights - I am very satisfied there and have heard very things about Dr Valdez which is why I chose to go there. My dog is a rescue dog and is 11 yrs old.

For a good cat vet - I go to Brick City Cat Hospital in Ocala. The vets there are Dr Salpeter and Dr Fleck. They brought my cat around 100% after one yr of going to another vet and then up to the University because she was so sick. I couldn't be more grateful for these 2 women vets.

Rokinronda
05-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Dr. Valdez!!!!! My bubba had a liver problem. Probably cancer per Dr. Valdez. We did not know if he would survive. With diet and medication, I must say Bubba and I had another wonderful healthy, puppyish year. Then it was time. Dr. Valdez was caring, loving, thorough. :bigthumbsup:

nONIE
05-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Ouma,

I know how hard it is to find a good avian vet, or to find any avian vet for that matter. Good luck in finding one, we want our precious little birdies to get only the best of care. They are so fragile.Did you happen to look in The Villages phone book? Or are you specifically looking for recomendations?

Mabe calling the local petstores in and around TV would help.

villagerjudy
06-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Country Oakes Vets are the only one that I know of that have their own emergency service at their office. That may have changed since I researched it. For me it is very important NOT to have to drive to Leesburg if my dog is hurt at an inappropriate hour but have one close by

garsha
06-16-2008, 01:40 PM
How about the vet by Laurel Manor? Is that Paws?

Happy62
06-16-2008, 02:01 PM
MULBERRY VET CLINIC ON 42 BETWEEN 441 AND 301... GREAT :bigthumbsup:

Cinco
07-25-2008, 01:16 PM
My husband and I are owned and controlled by a 3-pound yorkie.

I've used PAWS twice. Never again. Too many friends have too many horror stories about that place. Also used Dr. McBride in Wildwood. I really liked her, but couldn't convince her to clean his teeth, although a few were loose. She kept telling me that his teeth were cleaner than most of the pet owners that came into her office.

When he developed a few infected-looking spots on his skin last week, I called to get him looked at. They couldn't see him until the middle of the next week. At 3 pounds, an infection could kill him in that length of time, so I decided it was time for a new vet.

Mulberry took him in on that day, gave him antibiotics, and he's now healed. I was very, very impressed with the office and, in particular, the vet. One of the first things she said was "this little boy needs a dental." He recently lost one tooth and has a few loose ones. His teeth have been brushed daily since I got him almost 10 years ago, but his teeth are not good. A yorkie trait, they say.

He has an appointment on 7/29 to have his teeth cleaned, and I'll be a basket case on that day! I asked the vet if she could give me a sedative, but no such luck. I'll add an update after that procedure is done...

MSNPA
07-26-2008, 06:56 PM
I took the advice of several TOTV posters and went to Mulberry Grove and I was very pleased with the veterinarian (Dr. Jennifer Teitelbaum). She did recommend heartworm medicine for my cats, but I still do not know if I will heed her advice. She discovered my old guy has a hyper thyroid condition and he is now on pills. She even contacted me herself to tell me about his bloodwork.This may sound crazy but I was impressed when I picked up the pills they were already cut in half (dosage is 1/2 pill twice a day). Sometimes the little things are important especially when I hate cutting little pills myself!

mmclover
07-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Took my amazon Pedro to Animal clinic of Lady Lakes yesterday for first time. Of course I am partial to our Vet in Maine, however, she seemed to know what she was doing and let me stay while she trimmed his beak. She was thorough and did a good job handling him. I could not find any other Avian Vet in the area, and will continue to use her. She also has an amazon named Charlie who lives there at the clinic.

`willy
07-27-2008, 12:21 AM
I would avoid PAWS at Laural Manor very high fees and didn't like the way they cared for my dog.

JUST MY FEELINGS
WILLY

We like the Vet in the shopping center on 301 in
Wildwood

swrinfla
07-27-2008, 06:30 PM
CinCo, Willy, others:

I am sorry to hear negatives about Paws Hospital. Dr. Amy always treated The Cat with care and love, and was exceptional when I had to put him down last May.

I will have another cat in the house later this year, and will undoubtedly continue to use Paws, if for no other reasons than loyalty and proximity.

But, I'm interested in knowing what your problems were there.

SWR

Floridagal
07-30-2008, 11:30 PM
I called PAWS to bring my cat in cause he was very sick and they said being my cat is not a patient I would have to wait for an appointment which was a week away. I called Mulberry Vet on 42 and they took me right away. For that reason alone I have been using them for both my cats and I think they get the best care available. I would not go anywhere else.

chelsea24
07-30-2008, 11:57 PM
I agree FG. My hubby's a veterinarian and does relief work. He has not filled in at Paws, but he had his own clinic for 35 years in Illinois. I worked there part-time for the last 10 years overseeing the staff. We would never let a sick animal wait, even if we had never seen it before. Also, just a few tips, check out the staff as well as the doctors. I have a real thing about the way the staff interacts with the animals. And if someone answered the phone and said, Such and such Animal Hospital, hold please, without asking them if they COULD hold (it might be an emergency) they were fired on the spot! The animals in our clinic were treated with all the love and care that we give our own. So besides the doctor (of course number one) please be aware of how the staff interacts with your pets. ;)

marianne237
07-31-2008, 12:03 AM
Chelsea.... :agree: :agree: :agree:

swrinfla
07-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Ches & FloridaGal:

Thanks for your insight. I shall keep such info in mind.

SWR