PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Age Of Television

2BNTV
12-25-2014, 12:23 PM
I remember fondly when television first hit the market and spawned "The Golden Age Of Television".

The pioneers who changed American viewing habits and provided a lot of entertainment.

I remember the greats like Milton Berle, Red Skelton, Sid Ceasar, Burns & Allen and who could forget The Honeymooners.

What was your favorite show/performer and what scenes/skits do you remember vividly?

A friend of mine reminds me of Gracie Allen. George Burns used to say that all he had to do was ask Gracie, "How is your uncle Harry", and Gracie would be on, for a half an hour.

Pointer
12-25-2014, 02:17 PM
I remember Burns and Allen and so many of the old Black N white movies that made it to television. Some of them were really funny. Lassie, Rin Tin Tin, the Lone Ranger, Shirley Temple were among my favorites and Sonia Hennings was adorable on ice. My father liked to watch Combat and war movies. My mom liked the variety shows. How about the old commercials? Brought to you by; Carnation Milk, Lucky Strikes, Kraft Cheese. I'm sure there are so many more but that's all that's all the old brain will allow me to access right now.

Halibut
12-25-2014, 06:35 PM
Not sure this is golden or not, but the first time I remember having that certain, specific interest as a male looking at a female was watching Loretta Young make her dramatic entrance through the door on The Loretta Young show. ;)

eweissenbach
12-25-2014, 07:38 PM
I remember fondly when television first hit the market and spawned "The Golden Age Of Television".

The pioneers who changed American viewing habits and provided a lot of entertainment.

I remember the greats like Milton Berle, Red Skelton, Sid Ceasar, Burns & Allen and who could forget The Honeymooners.

What was your favorite show/performer and what scenes/skits do you remember vividly?

A friend of mine reminds me of Gracie Allen. George Burns used to say that all he had to do was ask Gracie, "How is your uncle Harry", and Gracie would be on, for a half an hour.

We had one of the first televisions in Omaha. My dad and his brother owned a tavern and when they bought a TV for the business they each bought one for their homes in 1948. Some of the first shows I remember were Kukla Fran, and Ollie, The Squirrel Cage (local kids show hosted by a young Johnnie Carson) and because my family were huge boxing fans, the Wednesday Night and Friday Night Fights. Your Show of Shows, Milton Berle, and the Ed Wynn shows were faves in the early fifties.

KayakerNC
12-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Inquiring minds::popcorn:
I've always wondered why couples, Ricky & Lucy, Ward & June, slept separately in twin beds, but 2 guys, Laurel & Hardy, slept together in one bed.

kellyjam
12-26-2014, 11:29 AM
Inquiring minds::popcorn:
I've always wondered why couples, Ricky & Lucy, Ward & June, slept separately in twin beds, but 2 guys, Laurel & Hardy, slept together in one bed.

Or the Three Stooges ala Menage a Trois!!:eclipsee_gold_cup:

Shimpy
12-26-2014, 03:23 PM
We had one of the first televisions in Omaha. My dad and his brother owned a tavern and when they bought a TV for the business they each bought one for their homes in 1948. Some of the first shows I remember were Kukla Fran, and Ollie, The Squirrel Cage (local kids show hosted by a young Johnnie Carson) and because my family were huge boxing fans, the Wednesday Night and Friday Night Fights. Your Show of Shows, Milton Berle, and the Ed Wynn shows were faves in the early fifties.

We were also big wrestling fans until we found out how fake it was. Neighbor down the street had the only TV and the first show I ever saw was Kukla Fran and Ollie. My father went to a TV store and wanted to buy the biggest screen they sold. Salesman wanted to know the size of the living room because he said a screen too big for the room would be bad for your eyes. Biggest screens then were probably about 12".

rubicon
12-26-2014, 03:38 PM
I had family over for Christmas and we had this exact conversation. Jackie Gleason, Sid & Imogene in our Show of Shows. Ed Sullivan, I love Lucy Sky King, Howdy Dowdy, Father Knows Best, Ozzy & Harriet

Shimpy
12-26-2014, 04:15 PM
How about Amos & Andy, and The Dead End Kids. Captain Video was always one of my favorites.

DougB
12-26-2014, 05:46 PM
How about Amos & Andy, and The Dead End Kids. Caption Video was always one of my favorites.

Space hemet on, Captain Video!

2BNTV
12-26-2014, 06:18 PM
The scene on the Honeymooners where Ralph went bowling and threw out his back. Norton measures his temperature and uses a cigarette lighter to see the reading. Norton asks what is considered a high temperature and Ralph responds with 102 or 103. Ralph asks what is the reading and Norton shrieks, 111!!!!!

That still cracks me up 50 plus years later!!

rubicon
12-27-2014, 08:28 AM
Ralph teaching Ed Norton how to golf "Hello Ball"

Yung Dum
03-08-2015, 11:37 PM
Anybody remember an afternoon soap opera called "Action In The Afternoon"? It was a western, probably the only western soap ever. It was also live, which was a big problem because the horses were not great actors. The action scenes were few and far between, hardly living up to the show's title. One point of interest-Zacherlie played the undertaker. Very fitting.

jblum315
03-09-2015, 05:46 AM
My father loved the wrestling shows altho I'm sure he knew they were faked. My mother and I loved Your Hit Parade and The Ed Sullivan Show and the Kraft Television Theater.I was a bit old for the Micky Mouse show but i loved it anyway. Loved Lights Out and the Green Hornet.

Greg Nelson
03-09-2015, 06:20 AM
First I remeber was Rinn Tin Tin

buzzy
03-09-2015, 06:53 AM
Loved Sky King and the Lone Ranger

Bonny
03-09-2015, 07:12 AM
I Love Lucy, Donna Reed Show, Lassie, My 3 Sons, Leave it to Beaver, Andy Griffith, Disney, Soupy Sales & Romper Room. We loved the variety shows also. Carol Burnett, Jackie Gleason, Dean Martin and of course Ed Sullivan.

Baltimore Guy
03-09-2015, 08:33 AM
About old TV, why did Porky Pig always put on a bathing suit to go swimming but never where any pants any other time.:Screen_of_Death:

LI SNOWBIRD
03-09-2015, 09:10 AM
Not sure this is golden or not, but the first time I remember having that certain, specific interest as a male looking at a female was watching Loretta Young make her dramatic entrance through the door on The Loretta Young show. ;)

WOW that lady was elegant

Yung Dum
03-09-2015, 07:02 PM
About old TV, why did Porky Pig always put on a bathing suit to go swimming but never where any pants any other time.:Screen_of_Death:

One of life's imponderables.

sunglow
03-10-2015, 07:57 AM
No one's mentioned my favorite - My Friend Flicka! And Spin and Marty.

Midvale
03-10-2015, 08:22 AM
No one's mentioned my favorite - My Friend Flicka! And Spin and Marty.
Heh. Spin & Marty and their snipe hunt. I watched that at the barber shop as a kid.

Bonny
03-10-2015, 09:04 AM
Loved Spin & Marty !

2BNTV
03-10-2015, 12:01 PM
To me. Golden Age of television refers to when television was in it's infancy.

Milton Berle, Jack Benny, Burns and Allen, Sid Ceasar and his "Show of Shows", the Honeymooners, etc, etc, etc,

I don't think we will ever see a cast like Taxi and Barney Miller. Both shows were extremely hilarious. Including the Sopranos, this was must watch television.

Reverend Jim at the DMV should down in television history, (aka, what do you do when you approach a yellow light, "go sllllllloooowwwwwweeeeerrrr").

Who can forget the Abbott and Costello Show. I just saw "The Trial", on You Tube with the Niagara Falls scene, when Lou was sent to jail. Still funny after all these years. :1rotfl:

Back to regular programming

Ragman
03-10-2015, 12:25 PM
" Hey kids, what time is it?"

Anybody ever draw Winky Dink ladders and bridges without the "magic screen"? :swear:Parents

Shimpy
03-10-2015, 03:49 PM
" Hey kids, what time is it?"
:swear:Parents

I had a crush on Princess Summer,Fall,Winter,Spring.

Yung Dum
03-28-2015, 04:56 PM
I had a crush on Princess Summer,Fall,Winter,Spring.

Which one? The puppet or live person (hopefully)?

Viking
03-28-2015, 05:35 PM
There were some pretty funny shows back then, including Burns & Allen and The Honeymooners, but to me there was nothing more laugh out loud funny than Amos & Andy.

Yung Dum
03-28-2015, 06:03 PM
I've been watching a lot of Burns & Allen reruns lately. I watched them as a kid, but never realized they were so funny. Gracie's a classic.

Shimpy
03-29-2015, 05:38 PM
To me other than the Saturday morning cowboy cereals with Hop-along Cassidy, Tom Mix, Bob Steel, and many others my mind can't seem to recall, my favorites were "The Honeymooners" and many years later "All In the Family"

The Great Fumar
03-29-2015, 07:18 PM
Hello. Duffy's Tavern where the elite meet to eat .Archie the mgr. speaking , Duffy ain't here .......Oh ! hello Duffy .........

CFrance
03-29-2015, 10:12 PM
Ralph teaching Ed Norton how to golf "Hello Ball"
Ha ha! "Address the ball!"

CFrance
03-29-2015, 10:17 PM
Ding Dong School.

Lauren Sweeny
03-31-2015, 06:20 AM
Romper Stomper bomper boo! Miska Mooska Mouseketeer ...Fury...Beat The Clock,.....Circus Boy...Flipper...Have you been a GoodBee?

Walt.
04-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Some of my favorites growing up were "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon", "Amos and Andy", "The Millionaire" and "The Range Rider." Actually, there were so many I can't even remember them all... "Whirlybirds" "Home Run Derby" "The Lineup" etc etc. Almost all of these shows can be found on Youtube... and they're still good.

Shimpy
04-02-2015, 05:50 PM
Some of my favorites growing up were "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon", "Amos and Andy", "The Millionaire" and "The Range Rider." Actually, there were so many I can't even remember them all... "Whirlybirds" "Home Run Derby" "The Lineup" etc etc. Almost all of these shows can be found on Youtube... and they're still good.

Don't forget "Sky King".....I had a crush on Penny in that series.

dbussone
04-02-2015, 05:55 PM
Don't forget "Sky King".....I had a crush on Penny in that series.

What was his dog's name?

Shimpy
04-03-2015, 03:20 PM
What was his dog's name?
I don't remember the dog.

dbussone
04-03-2015, 05:07 PM
I don't remember the dog.

I might be wrong but thought he flew with his dog periodically. Or am I mixing several shows together?

dbussone
04-03-2015, 05:13 PM
I might be wrong but thought he flew with his dog periodically. Or am I mixing several shows together?

Per the Internet, the cocker spaniel was named Sugar. He also had a German Shepherd

Walt.
04-04-2015, 09:19 AM
I used to watch Sky King but never really cared for it. After reading a few posts here I figured maybe I missed something; so I clicked up an episode on Youtube. It still doesn't work for me. OK... how about "Sea Hunt" "Robin Hood" (with Richard Greene) or "Rin Tin Tin." What kind of crazy name is Rin Tin Tin?
My wife was a big fan of Sandy Becker. Anybody else ever watch his show?

Shimpy
04-04-2015, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=Walt.;1040080] OK... how about "Sea Hunt" QUOTE]

Sea Hunt was filmed in Silver Springs just up the road. If you take one of their glass bottom boats they show you Loyd Bridges dressing room on the river. Creature of the Black Lagoon was also filmed there.

gatherer47
04-07-2015, 09:07 PM
I love the Amos and Andy episode where the Kingfish took Andy on a cross country tour in a camper even though they never left Central Park.

Chi-Town
04-07-2015, 09:27 PM
I love the Amos and Andy episode where the Kingfish took Andy on a cross country tour in a camper even though they never left Central Park.
Here you go.....

https://youtu.be/uJ7CUWHbkWU

Shimpy
04-08-2015, 04:59 PM

When I think about Amos and Andy I always remember when they were going to change a light bulb and one of them suggested that to be safe they should insulate themselves by standing in a wash tub of water.