PDA

View Full Version : AMERICAN AIRLINES AND FEES THEY CHARGE

Hyacinth Bucket
05-24-2008, 02:43 AM
Hi all, as a travel agent I get numerous daily emails about the travel industry. This is one I received from David. I have tried numerous times to use our ff miles and I rarely am able to get them. I think that is why I was unaware of the fee now charged using ff miles.

HB

"AA is also increasing all sorts of other fees, too. It will now cost $150 to change a domestic ticket, and from $150-300 for an international ticket. Booking by phone or through the frequent flyer program went from $15 to $20. Using a travel agent, including online agencies like Travelocity went from $15 to $20 and buying a ticket at the airport from $20 to $30. Taking a pet along in the cabin went from $80 to $100 each way on domestic, Mexico, Canada and Caribbean flights while travelling in cargo went from $100 to $150 each way. Unaccompanied minors went from $75 to $100 each way. Oversized and overweight bags will now cost $150 each way, up from $100.

The increased bag charges make it even more attractive to consider expressing your luggage by a courier service. I wrote about this when the second bag charge first started and showed that the cheapest (and often best!) way to overnight your bags, seven days a week, is through USPS.

While most of AA's increases are 'more of the same', and while it is a shame to see them increasing, it is hard to argue against the airline's ability to charge what it chooses for what it offers. But how about charges associated with 'free' frequent flier tickers. What part of 'free' does AA not understand? Frequent flyer awards will now cost from $100 to $150, and reinstating miles for unused flight awards will now cost $150.

This is grievously unfair. The cost to us of a 'free' ticket is going up and up - in terms of the cost to earn the miles in the first place, the number of miles we need for an award, and now the ancillary fees and charges associated with getting a free ticket issued and/or changed."

KathieI
05-24-2008, 03:17 AM
HB, while we're sipping lemonade on my lanai this summer, you'll have to teach me about frequent flier miles and how to use them. I have so many but don't know when or how to use them on line. I do all my bookings on either Orbitz or Delta's sites and they just keep accumulating and I don't know what to do with them.

We can do this and watch the HB tapes at the same time. As long as I don't put any lemoncello in the lemonade, huh!

Love, sistah Kathie :redface:

784caroline
05-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Regarding the $!5 fee per ticket for using an agent to book a FF ticket......I just booked 2 FF "multi-city" tickets from IAD to Barcelona and returning from Venice to IAD on United. Now what Irked me was that they charged me the $15 per ticket because I used an agent rather than United's web site BUT you cannot book a multi-city FF ticket on United Web Site. These "free" tickets cost me approx $113 each ( $98 taxes plus $15 booking fee). Since I purchased the tickets prior to May 15 I am under the old rules for change fees.

One of my biggest problems will be overweight luggage for a 3 week trip. I have a Samsonite hard side 3 suiter (29in) and I think that weighs close to 50lbs to start! I imagine private luggage service to Europe is expensive..how do I find out?

Hyacinth Bucket
05-24-2008, 08:36 PM
784caroline,

I know what you mean when you write about the cost of a free ticket.

Would it pay for you to go to some yard sales and look for lighter luggage? There are luggage services available including Fed Ex and UPS. There are other services that I have heard about. If I still have the info I will post it.

When we were returning to Buenos Aires we were over the legal weight limit. What we did was put all the extra items in one suitcase. This way we only had to pay for one over weight suitcase. In this case it cost us $25.

If you have items that are not fragile I have seen people travel with a multi colored plastic bag with zipper. That way the bag may only weigh a couple of pounds and you have 48 pounds worth of items you can pack.

I am not going to say what my pocketbook weighed.

Hope this helps.

HB

Hyacinth Bucket
05-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi Kathie are you talking about the real Lemoncello from Italy? If you do not have any we can take a fast trip to Italy and get some.

Did I tell you I read an article that suggested putting in a couple of drops of Orange Blossom Water into lemonade - they say the scent and taste is delicious.

Kathie you can save money buy buying your tickets directly from the airlines. With all your miles you can plan trip after trip.

See ya soon.

HB

784caroline
05-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the advice on the Luggage ...including the yard sale aspect.

Also we intend to visit Capri later this year and we will definitley pick up some lemoncello. GREAT STUFF! Probably will not bring it home for we will have an addition 7 days on the ship plus the airlines only weigh baggage not people...so far!!!

Hyacinth Bucket
05-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi,

We brought two bottles home. Sad to say they are both gone, one we drank and shared with friends and the other bottle went into a fund raiser wine auction. My plans were to buy back the bottle of Lemoncello and the monies I paid for the bottle would be my donation.

To my shock it went for double what we paid. Somebody else won the bottle and did not share with us. Probably did not go to kindergarten.

I see it as just another reason to go back to Italy.

Have a wonderful time. If you need any help how to have room for the Lemoncello in your luggage please let me know. I am positive it can be done.

HB