PDA

View Full Version : Daily Sun usual media bias

Ckazules
01-12-2015, 06:03 AM
On the front page of the Daily Sun is the AP article on the millions of people that marched throughout France in solidarity against Islamic/ISIS terrorism. The "tickle my ears" AP reporting missed the BIG story (no mention whatsoever) that our country failed to send a representative to one of our biggest allies. Might have to scrap my subscription. Need to know more about what's really going on in the world than what the next club is doing. How about a little more meat? It's okay...I have the drudge report & Fox news; but what about the rest of you?

graciegirl
01-12-2015, 06:06 AM
Welcome to TOTV. I see this is your first post. No thanks to request to be my friend on Facebook.

mickey100
01-12-2015, 06:19 AM
There have been many threads posted about the bias and poor news reporting of the Daily Sun. Most people I know who want to read balanced reporting subscribe to other newspapers, read the internet and watch whatever television news floats their boat. I know we do.

graciegirl
01-12-2015, 06:22 AM
There have been many threads posted about the bias and poor news reporting of the Daily Sun. Most people I know who want to read balanced reporting subscribe to other newspapers, read the internet and watch whatever television news floats their boat. I know we do.

Please re-read the O.P.s post. He is complaining because it wasn't far enough right for him. That just sounds suspicious. EVERYONE knows that The Daily Sun is not a liberal paper. Most of us who live here, the majority, aren't liberal, but this post to me is pot stirring.

senior citizen
01-12-2015, 06:29 AM
On the front page of the Daily Sun is the AP article on the millions of people that marched throughout France in solidarity against Islamic/ISIS terrorism. The "tickle my ears" AP reporting missed the BIG story (no mention whatsoever) that our country failed to send a representative to one of our biggest allies. Might have to scrap my subscription. Need to know more about what's really going on in the world than what the next club is doing. How about a little more meat? It's okay...I have the drudge report & Fox news; but what about the rest of you?

It's no doubt a good idea to get a better cross representation of what's actually going on "on our planet" by reading many of the major newspapers from all over the country .......only then will you get the big story. East to west, we read them all. All major newspapers are now "online".

We, ourselves, can easily see how some of the television news reporting is slanted one way or the other. We choose to watch ALL OF THE MAJOR NEWS SHOWS to get a better representation.....

The local newspapers are great for community news, but lack world perspective......or the simple fact that everyone is coming from a different space & time, with varying opinions, based on their own life experience.

No one newspaper ; no one news......will ever tell it all.

jblum315
01-12-2015, 06:41 AM
Al Jazeera America unbiased reporting of global news

graciegirl
01-12-2015, 06:45 AM

I would like it better if it was called The Chronicle or The Examiner or The Daily Horn.. Sorry. I am what I am.

I am from Ohio as you know.

senior citizen
01-12-2015, 06:57 AM

It's title is misleading. The news is simple & straightforward & unbiased. My husband actually liked Aljazeera; he's the biggest conservative going.

Now, Aljazeera in the Mideast is where we found out what really happened at our Beirut Embassy...& to our Ambassador, God rest his soul.

Some of the major news shows, such as Good Morning America have gone totally Hollywood or "Disney".......it's a huge gabfest with perhaps a few minutes of news here & there.

ureout
01-12-2015, 07:15 AM
Please re-read the O.P.s post. He is complaining because it wasn't far enough right for him. That just sounds suspicious. EVERYONE knows that The Daily Sun is not a liberal paper. Most of us who live here, the majority, aren't liberal, but this post to me is pot stirring.

cut the person some slack....he has a right to voice his opinion...you certainly have voiced yours, that's what this forum is about

graciegirl
01-12-2015, 07:29 AM
cut the person some slack....he has a right to voice his opinion...you certainly have voiced yours, that's what this forum is about

You are right. sigh.

Madelaine Amee
01-12-2015, 07:34 AM

Agree. If you want real news from around the world turn to Al Jazeera America, if you want talking heads giving us their opinions of the news watch the other three.

Chi-Town
01-12-2015, 08:06 AM
My niece is an editor for AP. During a visit here she was most impressed with the Daily Sun. She took back a Friday edition to show all how thick a paper can still be. She also liked the number of AP articles in the various sections. She said that newspapers purchase the articles and when bought can change the content, if desired. But she said that even if a paper wanted to they never have the time due to printing deadlines.

TheVillageChicken
01-12-2015, 08:45 AM
///

Chi-Town
01-12-2015, 08:51 AM
If you were a Dish customer you would only have the Drudge Report. But then again, what more do you need?

Cedwards38
01-12-2015, 09:00 AM
US Ambassador to France, Jane Hartley, took part in the gathering in Paris, as was the case with many nations across the world.

renrod
01-12-2015, 09:27 AM

our country failed to send a representative to one of our biggest allies.
Help me remember when people were talking about "freedom fries" and why? Now you want to think of France as our BFF? My oh my, how times change.

Chi-Town
01-12-2015, 09:45 AM
our country failed to send a representative to one of our biggest allies.
Help me remember when people were talking about "freedom fries" and why? Now you want to think of France as our BFF? My oh my, how times change.

Talk about changing times.... German Chancellor Angela Merkel was there. The French would be speaking German if it wasn't for us.

Taltarzac725
01-12-2015, 09:54 AM
South Florida French-Americans rally at Bayfront Park - WSVN-TV - 7NEWS Miami Ft. Lauderdale News, Weather, Deco (http://www.wsvn.com/story/27796209/south-florida-french-americans-to-rally-at-bayfront-park)

There were rallies in the US showing support for freedom of speech.

Bonny
01-12-2015, 10:10 AM
Very interesting 1st. post. Political. :ohdear:

Abby10
01-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Talk about changing times.... German Chancellor Angela Merkel was there. The French would be speaking German if it wasn't for us.

And many of them know that and appreciate what we did for them that day on Normandy Beach. I'll never forget sitting across the dinner table a few years ago with a couple, both French schoolteachers, who hosted me as a guest in their home. The husband proceeded to tell me, with tears in his eyes, how indebted he felt to our country and how grieved he was by the loss of so many young American lives that day in 1944, but as he said, if not for them and that day, France would not even exist. Also, on the train ride from Paris to their home, the group I was with were "entertained" by a rowdy bunch of young fellows who appeared to be in a party mood and imbibing in a few drinks from the bar. Come to find out they were French navy men who were just coming home from a tour of duty. After exchanging our stories, including why we were there, they proceeded to tell us how much they loved Americans and went so far as to present to our tour guide the flag that they had brought home with them. It was a very emotional experience. I cannot help but feel that we let down our French friends by not having more of an official presence at yesterday's event in Paris.

billethkid
01-12-2015, 10:18 AM
people who post for the first time are usually on some path to either gain knowledge or compliment what they have experienced in TV.

When the very first post is one like this it smells very much like bait to me.

They saw the comparable headline story on Drudge report this AM and were inspired to do some trolling!

graciegirl
01-12-2015, 10:24 AM
people who post for the first time are usually on some path to either gain knowledge or compliment what they have experienced in TV.

They saw the comparable headline story on Drudge report this AM and were inspired to do some trolling!

You are right once again. AND I think I know who it is.

outlaw
01-12-2015, 10:26 AM
OP, Welcome to TOTV. I like posters with opinions different from mine. Stepford seniors add little to a discussion.

Bonny
01-12-2015, 10:27 AM

Some people have way too much unproductive time on their hands !!

Challenger
01-12-2015, 10:32 AM

Every successful business has a business model that appeals to it's target audience. It appears to me that the Daily Sun is doing quite well . :clap2:

ugotme
01-12-2015, 11:18 AM
You can always cancel your subscription.

billethkid
01-12-2015, 11:49 AM
Agree. If you want real news from around the world turn to Al Jazeera America, if you want talking heads giving us their opinions of the news watch the other three.

And just what is it that has authenticated AL Jazeera as the the accurate, non opinonated version?

And does anyone believe that AL Jazeera does not have an agenda?

I know this is off topic but is counterpoint to a given post.

Me, I will take made in America along with my ability to seek more than one input and then reach my own conclusions.

Like I do not eat food products made in China I do not accept a middle eastern news agency for information about what is going on here at home.

Madelaine Amee
01-12-2015, 11:56 AM
And just what is it that has authenticated AL Jazeera as the the accurate, non opinonated version?

And does anyone believe that AL Jazeera does not have an agenda?

I know this is off topic but is counterpoint to a given post.

Me, I will take made in America along with my ability to seek more than one input and then reach my own conclusions.

Like I do not eat food products made in China I do not accept a middle eastern news agency for information about what is going on here at home.

To each his own!

Hancle704
01-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Recently discovered that Centurylink is carrying OAN (One America News Network) Channel 209 in it's cable line up. They report news and identify if a program is political. There is always BBC World News too for good reporting.

zonerboy
01-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Don't blame the Daily Sun.
They just take whatever comes across on the selected news feed and place it where ever there is space between the ads to fill in the empty spots.
Just like most others modern newspapers.
PS I read it and enjoy it every morning.
It is what it is.

Bogie Shooter
01-12-2015, 12:46 PM

So, why complain about the Daily Sun?

Bogie Shooter
01-12-2015, 12:48 PM
It's title is misleading. The news is simple & straightforward & unbiased. My husband actually liked Aljazeera; he's the biggest conservative going.

Now, Aljazeera in the Mideast is where we found out what really happened at our Beirut Embassy...& to our Ambassador, God rest his soul.

Some of the major news shows, such as Good Morning America have gone totally Hollywood or "Disney".......it's a huge gabfest with perhaps a few minutes of news here & there.

Good Morning America, was never a "news" show.

tomwed
01-12-2015, 01:29 PM
You are right once again. AND I think I know who it is.
I don't know who it is and I don't care. But I also thought it was odd that a first post was a question that brings out a predictable emotional response leaning one way or the other. My advice is if you are new, swim around in the shallow end of the pool for a little while.

tomwed
01-12-2015, 01:46 PM
Good Morning America, was never a "news" show.
Remember when people only watched a half hour of news before Johnny Carson. If you added up the time spent on the weather report to the commercials maybe you got 15 minutes of news. I wonder if watching too much news is a little like eating too much ice cream.

sunnyatlast
01-12-2015, 01:48 PM
Oh for heaven's sake.

Who, in the age of the internet, reads only one paper-printed newspaper to find out national and international news?!?!?!?!????

To me, that is lazy or wanting to be ignorant. Slimy as they are, you can be lazy and go to Drudge and Huffington Post and click on any one of 200 newspapers' articles linked at the front page!

graciegirl
01-12-2015, 01:48 PM
Remember when people only watched a half hour of news before Johnny Carson. If you added up the time spent on the weather report to the commercials maybe you got 15 minutes of news. I wonder if watching too much news is a little like eating too much ice cream.

That well may be true. But not watching enough of the news is like not eating your carrots.

I go from one extreme to the other. We have to be ourselves.

tomwed
01-12-2015, 02:57 PM
That well may be true. But not watching enough of the news is like not eating your carrots.

I go from one extreme to the other. We have to be ourselves.
I get my news online from all over the place. I like to research and try to substantiate what is printed or posted. I tend to trust sites that end in .edu, .gov or .org. That's what we taught the kids when they came down to the library to do research. If the information comes from TV or a newspaper I will look up who owns the station or newspaper and then look up their background. All this takes time but at this stage in my life I find it gratifying. I never had that kind of time before. For now, I am living alone so I like checking in here for conversation. That's who I am.

rubicon
01-12-2015, 03:20 PM
Oh for heaven's sake.

Who, in the age of the internet, reads only one paper-printed newspaper to find out national and international news?!?!?!?!????

To me, that is lazy or wanting to be ignorant. Slimy as they are, you can be lazy and go to Drudge and Huffington Post and click on any one of 200 newspapers' articles linked at the front page!

Sunnyatlast: spot on

JoMar
01-12-2015, 07:27 PM

Actually because of the Russians.......we helped.