PDA

View Full Version : Replacing older low toilet with new elongated, taller one?

billethkid
01-17-2015, 10:44 AM
It appears to be a simple DIY project.
Drain the water as appropriate. Remove two (or more) nuts from the base.
Clean out area from the old donut.
Place new donut.
Place new toilet over bolts and tighten down the nuts.

I am sure there are some details I missed but is it as simple as it seems to me?

Looking for advice and direction.

Bogie Shooter
01-17-2015, 10:58 AM
How to Install a Toilet | This Old House (http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,250406,00.html)

zcaveman
01-17-2015, 11:28 AM
I did it the easy way. I watched Kiley and Sons install them in my house. That is what they did. It was a while ago so I am not sure if they used the same water feeds or installed new ones.

Z

JMEZARIC3
01-17-2015, 03:10 PM
It appears to be a simple DIY project.
Drain the water as appropriate. Remove two (or more) nuts from the base.
Clean out area from the old donut.
Place new donut.
Place new toilet over bolts and tighten down the nuts.

I am sure there are some details I missed but is it as simple as it seems to me?

Looking for advice and direction.
Before you buy the toilet check the water shut off.Mine is plastic and appears to have a compression fitting on the water the water line.If you need to replace the water supply(your new toilet has a tank higher than the old one) you may not have the tools to remove and replace the water supply line.

KeepingItReal
01-17-2015, 08:11 PM
Before you buy the toilet check the water shut off.Mine is plastic and appears to have a compression fitting on the water the water line.If you need to replace the water supply(your new toilet has a tank higher than the old one) you may not have the tools to remove and replace the water supply line.

Ran into this a while back.. these videos were very helpful.

How to remove the Accor Technology push/pull valves..and water supply line.

PUSH PULL VALVES

www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-axa7l-my0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klw8GcEmiig

how to remove a flowtite valve - YouTube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNTfM_vku5k

Walter123
01-17-2015, 09:43 PM
OK, I know a little bit about toilets. it may be easier to get down and up from from a high toilet but harder to poop. Your knees need to be higher. Please see my post on "sguatty Potty" I've been using it for almost 3 months and it works. Such a simple device but takes some getting used to. I wish they made a travel version. No kidding.