PDA

View Full Version : Alternative means to ship luggage..you will be suprised!

784caroline
06-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Todays Washington Post had an article entitled "Bugged by Baggage Fee? It could be worst." If paying the extra $15 to check on bag on Amercain Airlines bothers you here are alternatives for shipping a bag one way weighing in at 35 pounds from Washington DC to San Francisco (downtown locations).

Bottom line is dont complain about paying the extra $$ for a luggage fee, the options are expensive!

US Postal Service
$36.95 ........Seven day parcel post
$123.90 ......Overnight service

DHL
$52.40........ Seven day ground
$274.75.......(From) next day air

FedEx
$44.07........Five day ground
$274.75......Next day air

UPS
$44.06........Five day ground
$189.38......Next day air

Luggage Service Companies

Luggage Express
$156.41.......Three day economy service
$296.87.......Overnight express

Luggage Forward
$124.....Seven day basic service
$273.....Overnight express

Luggage Free
$57.75......Five day service
$145.25....Overnight service

Hyacinth Bucket
06-03-2008, 03:33 PM
784 when you see the prices you quoted $15 seems inexpensive. I must admit I prefer $00.00

HB

dadspet
06-22-2008, 06:08 PM
;D Next I bet they weigh passengers and charge by the pound! Airlines are now charging $50 if your over 50lbs. It would seem more fair if they have a combined weight for passenger and baggage then charge over that limit (only kidding ;D). I wonder how many women would get on the scale at the air port check in?

Hyacinth Bucket
06-24-2008, 05:53 AM
Hi, we just left Phoenix and we had an excess of 20 pounds. We got the largest size Priority Box and filled it with all heavy items. The box ended up weighing close to 20 pounds.

It cost about $10 to ship it home and the best thing is we will not be carrying all that stuff around.

It would have cost us $50 if we did not ship it home, because we went from Phoenix to TV and to return to NY we are flying.

Every time we travel I say I will not buy stuff, and somehow the items just find there way to me. ;)

Oh well, I guess I will just have to buy diamonds from now on - they are very light weight and I can wear them home.

HB

Hyacinth Bucket
06-25-2008, 03:43 PM
For all travellers who want an alternative way to ship there luggage I am listing the following.

Please understand that I have not used any of these luggage travel companies. I requested a list of places that other Travel Agents have used and received the following. This is a composite of all the places I was informed about.

http://www.sportsexpress.com,
http://www.luggagefree.com,
http://www.theluggageclub.com,
http://www.luggageforward.com,
http://www.concierge.com,
http://www.baggagequest.com.

If any one has used any of these companies or has knowledge please post the information on this site, so that we will all be informed.

Thanks,

HB

efrahin
06-25-2008, 04:04 PM
The lowest price was baggagequest.com and it seems a little priced.

KathieI
06-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Oh well, I guess I will just have to buy diamonds from now on - they are very light weight and I can wear them home. HB

HB, you will look sooo beautiful in diamonds.. Wonder what Sidney will say, :yikes: :yikes:

Thanks for this information, very timely since I'm packing for my 3 week visit to TV and bringing Dad who will be staying permanently. Needless to say, we'll have a lot of stuff, so shipping ahead will be the pragmatic thing to do.

Kath see ya in TV !! 040 040

Sidney Lanier
07-16-2008, 02:56 AM
KathieI, Sidney (yo!) happens to like diamonds and buys them for HB!!!

When we have no choice but to carry overweight from out of the country, we juggle everything we have so only one piece of luggage is overweight, so we pay only for that one. This last happened in January when we were flying from Buenos Aires, and we just managed to use our Argentinian money on that one overweight bag. Most hotels have a scale, often in their fitness centers, so you can check the weights.

Many people don't know about the largest Flat Rate Priority Mail box that is available free at all U.S. post offices (though the smallest ones might not have them in stock). As HB pointed out, we crammed literally 20 pounds into it, the flat rate was actually $12.85, and the postal clerk, laughing, pointed out that if not for the flat rate box, it would have cost nearly $40 in postage! In other words, do not assume that Parcel Post (for which you have to supply your own packaging) is cheaper; invariably it isn't.

Granted you can't fit a suitcase into a flat rate box, but if you pack and mail the smallest and heaviest items in it, it may well save you the $50 for an overweight suitcase.

Hyacinth Bucket
07-16-2008, 03:36 AM
I wonder how many diamonds can fit into the largest size box?

HB

Taltarzac
07-16-2008, 12:07 PM
KathieI, Sidney (yo!) happens to like diamonds and buys them for HB!!!

When we have no choice but to carry overweight from out of the country, we juggle everything we have so only one piece of luggage is overweight, so we pay only for that one. This last happened in January when we were flying from Buenos Aires, and we just managed to use our Argentinian money on that one overweight bag. Most hotels have a scale, often in their fitness centers, so you can check the weights.

Many people don't know about the largest Flat Rate Priority Mail box that is available free at all U.S. post offices (though the smallest ones might not have them in stock). As HB pointed out, we crammed literally 20 pounds into it, the flat rate was actually $12.85, and the postal clerk, laughing, pointed out that if not for the flat rate box, it would have cost nearly $40 in postage! In other words, do not assume that Parcel Post (for which you have to supply your own packaging) is cheaper; invariably it isn't.

Granted you can't fit a suitcase into a flat rate box, but if you pack and mail the smallest and heaviest items in it, it may well save you the $50 for an overweight suitcase.

Useful information Sidney Lanier. ;D :bigthumbsup:

Skip
08-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Try shipping a suitcase to or from Europe or Asia.

Astonishing.

Skip

784caroline
08-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Skip
Like MelZ in another thread, we are cruising in Europe later this year and the Ladies are sort of frantic about the weight restrictions. In the past we really loaded up a Samsonite 3 suit Hard case.....but we are uncerati how we will handle the upcomming trip to Europe. I guess we will be awaiting MelZ's trip report!!