PDA

View Full Version : uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Taltarzac
06-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Have been watching some of the Lonesome Dove movies on DVD again. I got them for free just by becoming a member of the Lake County Library System. Well worth the $40 househould fee for Sumter County residents.

I wondered what the phrase uva uvam vivendo varia fit meant on various places in the Lonesome Dove movies.

It means something like a grape ripens when is sees another one change color and thought that was a very appropriate saying for some posters on TOTV. They have sure ripened by viewing the many postings of various other people on TOTV.

The phrase is actually bad Latin from my Googling of it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096639/trivia

chelsea24
06-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Tal, as always, I never know what you're talking about, but I love your posts! LOLOL
:bigthumbsup:

Taltarzac
06-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Tal, as always, I never know what you're talking about, but I love your posts! LOLOL
:bigthumbsup:

It is like the one bad apple ruins the barrel idea but in reverse. One grape ripens on the vine so too do the others.

gfmucci
06-02-2008, 04:25 PM
It is much like the "sense of community" many of us are after.* We benefit from one another's wisdom, life experiences, and similar interests.

Which reminds me of another reason why many "mature adults" who have experienced the vaunted "diversity" of what life had to offer in the age-INTEGRATED communities we came from prefer to live in age-RESTRICTED communities:

The Public Works Department in the community I work in reported vandalism to one or more of its park facilities for the upteenth weekend in a row.* And we are not a "ghetto" or urban slum; we are a suburban, middle class resort community.* It will be a pleasure to live in an area devoid of vandals (to a much greater degree) and populated by respectful, civilized people (to a much greater degree).

Sidney Lanier
06-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Sorry, gave up talking Latin centuries ago.... '-)

graciegirl
06-02-2008, 05:50 PM
We are influenced for good by the good influence of others.

Donna
06-02-2008, 06:55 PM
un altro grande lavaro, Tal!

Love the Latin Tal..Try some Italian.... :bigthumbsup:

translation; another great job, Tal!