PDA

View Full Version : New vs Reconditioned Carts

jlongman
01-30-2015, 08:12 PM
I keep kicking this around in my head. I can buy a cosmetically perfect cart from The Villages for about $1,400 less than New. They're nice, New paint, New seat New umbrella New wheels and tires, etc. They have 3 year warranty vs 4 or 5 for New. What is my best value? I never say money is not an issue but I don't suppose $1,400 will make or break us, just want to get the best value (and yes there is always another way we could spend the $). TO TV members have never steered me wrong in the past.

Wandatime
01-30-2015, 08:25 PM
A friend of mine bought a reconditioned one from TV Golf Carts and I swear, it looks brand new!

kellyjam
01-30-2015, 08:40 PM
I am having one built by Village Discount on 466. It's a 2012 Yamaha gas being completely re-built with everything new. The nicest part is they have a mechanism that coverts back and forth from a 2 seater to a 4 seater. The upgrades they make to the cart are far cheaper than any of the other places selling new carts.

kcrazorbackfan
01-30-2015, 09:03 PM
If you decide to go reconditioned, I recommend Villages Discount Golf Carts also; if you go new, go with Carts and Clubs in Ocala. The wife's will be new, mine will be reconditioned......😁

Wandatime
01-30-2015, 09:14 PM
If you decide to go reconditioned, I recommend Villages Discount Golf Carts also; if you go new, go with Carts and Clubs in Ocala. The wife's will be new, mine will be reconditioned......😁

You are a very smart man, I can tell.

George Bieniaszek
01-30-2015, 09:28 PM
Cosmetically, the reconditioned carts will look almost new. Put a coat of paint, new tires, canvas and upholstery and they look fine. How about the drivetrain??

Some carts have hour meters which will tally up the amount of usage. My EZGO electric can get plugged into a computer and it will show mileage and total amperage used which will give you an idea of the amount of use. Some golf carts do not have either to judge if the cart was driven 5,000 miles, 25,000 or 50,000 miles.

Not trying to spend your money, but if it was me and $1400 was the difference between a reconditioned and new, I would go with new every time!

pookieroo
01-30-2015, 09:31 PM
I bought a reconditioned yamaha. Great vehicle. I've found that folks who buy new will recommend new, folks who buy reconditioned recommend reconditioned. No surprise there. What was your question again?

goldseekur
01-31-2015, 07:43 AM
If you want a reconditioned cart, go to Grandpas & Grandmas on 441. I bought mine there and they have been great. You pick out everything, colors, seats, etc. It looks like new.

I wanted a cart t hat was pretty well "decked out" and I shopped around new and reconditioned and decided on one from Grandpa & Grandma's not only for price [about $3000 less, but also because of Scott's knowledge of carts. They sell Club and Yamaha both gas and electric.

At lease you owe it to yourself to go see them for yourself. 352-552-8478

John_W
01-31-2015, 10:18 AM
If you want a reconditioned cart, go to Grandpas & Grandmas on 441. I bought mine there and they have been great. You pick out everything, colors, seats, etc. It looks like new...

I second Grandpas & Grandmas, they do a great job. When I was shopping for a cart in 2011 I was stuck between buying from them or TV carts at LSL. The refurbished Club Car at G&G had everything, Ultimate seats, black roof, big mirrors, 2 sand bottles, ball & club washer, SS Wheels, etc. priced at $8300. At LSL a compartive new 2011 Yamaha with everything was $10,300. Even though the Club Car was only a year old, I didn't feel at the time $2,000 was a big enough difference to go off campus. Also, even thought their Club Cars are only a year old, they buy their used carts from a golf Course in Virginia, so they are probably used everyday on the course for that entire year and have quite a few miles on the engine.

As the previous poster indicated, it's now a $3,000 difference. So maybe Grandma & Grandpa have come down a little on their prices. They are at least worth checking out before you decide to buy. Here's my cart, photo taken about a year ago. One suggestion, if you get the Ultimate Seats, get the model with the center armrest like mine.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/477x440q90/540/utbycu.jpg

NYGUY
01-31-2015, 10:50 AM
Two years ago, I bought a new gas E-Z-Go from Golf Cart Depot, just north of Tampa (about an hours drive), and saved $2,500....they deliver to The Villages all the time (delivered 2 the day I got mine). I get it serviced at the E-Z-Go dealer on 44 (they don't care where you bought it)....:gc:

George Bieniaszek
01-31-2015, 11:02 AM
Last year I bought a new 2014 gas Yamaha from The Villages store on LSL. They had a shipment of brand new carbureted models and the difference in price was approximately $1400 less than an EFI model. Same equipment, warrantee etc. The out-the-door price with sales tax etc was under $9000.

bobbym
01-31-2015, 06:33 PM
last year I bought a cart from a 9 hole course in Minnesota. The golf course went broke and sold there two year old EZGO carts for $3100 each. I bought one and brought it down here and paid a shop $900 to enclose the cart and redo the seats to match the enclosure. I adjusted the governor from 6 mph to 22 mph. For $4000 I couldn’t be happier. Carts are much cheaper and have a lot less hours on them from the snow country then what you will find down here where they run the wheels off them and want almost new prices for them. If you are planning a trip up north you might want to look at the Craig's List up there.

JoMar
01-31-2015, 10:07 PM
Just as the discussion between gas and electric, the new vs recon will have their supporters and their detractors.......based on their own preferences. My advise, do what you feel comfortable doing, spend what you feel comfortable spending then get in whatever you buy and enjoy the ride.

dgammon6
01-31-2015, 10:36 PM
Grandma,and Grandpa's 352-552-8478. I've had mine 4 years, no problems still looks new.

TrudyM
02-01-2015, 07:57 AM
Grandma,and Grandpa's 352-552-8478. I've had mine 4 years, no problems still looks new.

GAS OR ELECTRIC --Does Grandma and Grandpas have mostly electric or gas? Where are they located?

If you buy a Yamaha gas cart from someone besides the villages will you be able to get service, after the warranty period from the villages new service station?

gap2415
02-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Things to consider, how long you will keep it? Resale value.

That said, Reconditioned especially with extras, like homes, can be better than new.

goldseekur
02-01-2015, 10:20 AM
GAS OR ELECTRIC --Does Grandma and Grandpas have mostly electric or gas? Where are they located?

If you buy a Yamaha gas cart from someone besides the villages will you be able to get service, after the warranty period from the villages new service station?

They have both but I think more gas than electric.

Don't have any idea if the Village service station will work on ANY carts, but they would be foolish if they didn't. Besides, how would they keep track of the carts and which ones were purchased from the Village cart companies?

annaconner
02-01-2015, 03:26 PM
We bought a reconditioned Yamaha electric from TV cart shop 10 yrs ago and have never had any issues.

PaPaLarry
03-16-2015, 03:23 PM
When you buy re-conditioned, does that mean the motor was re-conditioned (drive train)????? Is there a warranty also?

deestatham
03-16-2015, 03:36 PM
This is good information from EVERYONE. Husband & I are moving to TV in September. I have a questions though, and this may sound stupid, but is there air conditioning in these things? Or at least some cold air blowing on you in the heat of the summer?

PaPaLarry
03-17-2015, 04:12 AM
This is good information from EVERYONE. Husband & I are moving to TV in September. I have a questions though, and this may sound stupid, but is there air conditioning in these things? Or at least some cold air blowing on you in the heat of the summer?
LOL Plenty of air blowing on you, if you let windshield down!!! hehehe A/C really not conducive to having in cart. Really a waste of money

RickeyD
03-17-2015, 05:36 AM

You will acclimate to the heat in a short amount of time. A/C is unnecessary...

Shimpy
03-17-2015, 05:42 PM
Cosmetically, the reconditioned carts will look almost new. Put a coat of paint, new tires, canvas and upholstery and they look fine. How about the drivetrain??

Some carts have hour meters which will tally up the amount of usage. My EZGO electric can get plugged into a computer and it will show mileage and total amperage used which will give you an idea of the amount of use. Some golf carts do not have either to judge if the cart was driven 5,000 miles, 25,000 or 50,000 miles.

Not trying to spend your money, but if it was me and $1400 was the difference between a reconditioned and new, I would go with new every time!

I agree. I would rather buy new and pay more knowing I'm getting a brand new out of the box cart than wondering why someone sold this almost new cart. What was wrong with it? Why did they want to dump it??????
In all my life I've always bought new and felt more secure but may have cost myself much money but piece of mine was worth it.

Mleeja
03-17-2015, 07:51 PM
LOL Plenty of air blowing on you, if you let windshield down!!! hehehe A/C really not conducive to having in cart. Really a waste of money

Be sure to get a screen so you are not smiling with love bugs on your teeth!:icon_wink:

graciegirl
03-17-2015, 08:21 PM
I agree. I would rather buy new and pay more knowing I'm getting a brand new out of the box cart than wondering why someone sold this almost new cart. What was wrong with it? Why did they want to dump it??????
In all my life I've always bought new and felt more secure but may have cost myself much money but piece of mine was worth it.

Sometimes people leave for the Village of Heavenly, or must leave to go to an assisted living. One of our carts we adopted from a couple who were moving to Scotland to take care of her mom, and the other from a couple whose mother in law had passed on and they no longer needed a four seater. If you care for them they do very well, carts that is.

Rango
03-18-2015, 03:16 PM
They have both but I think more gas than electric.

Don't have any idea if the Village service station will work on ANY carts, but they would be foolish if they didn't. Besides, how would they keep track of the carts and which ones were purchased from the Village cart companies?

All the carts have a serial number

kleeh
03-20-2015, 09:08 PM
Sometimes people leave for the Village of Heavenly, or must leave to go to an assisted living. One of our carts we adopted from a couple who were moving to Scotland to take care of her mom, and the other from a couple whose mother in law had passed on and they no longer needed a four seater. If you care for them they do very well, carts that is.

I agree Graciegirl... not that we have any experience with new or recons, but will definitely be looking for a reconditioned or preowned cart when we buy. Preowned offers much more in terms of accessories. Of course it helps that My Guy is very savvy re vehicles.

handyman
03-22-2015, 12:13 AM
If you buy a 2012 reconditioned cart in 2015 and decide you would like to trade up to a 2016 you will find that the value of your trade in is four years old even if you buy from the same dealer who will swear that their recondition is as good or even better then brand new,so if you ever plan on trading it consider this,if you are going to keep it then reconditioned might be a good deal as long as they are a really reconditioned.

Jayhawk
03-22-2015, 08:02 AM

Village Discount Golf Carts on 466, east of Morse, is now selling some kind of new compact enclosed cart that has both HEAT and A/C. I saw them at Sumter Landing a couple weeks ago, and yesterday saw a couple driving one on the path. I think they are about $13k.

:)

2BNTV
03-22-2015, 09:28 AM
I got a cart when I purchased my home but it wasn't worth a darn!!!

Had it upgraded and I am very happy with a quiet electric cart. Work was performed by STA-Rite Carts by "Frank7", a member on TOTV.

Highly recommend Frank for any repairs, upgrades and or reconditioning. Knowledgeable, honest, and reasonably priced too!! 352.326.3100.

Difference for me was 3K, instead of 10K.

dadspet
06-01-2015, 09:21 PM
One thing to consider when you purchase a cart advertised as a 2xxx model is that it might be a older cart that the dealer / owner has "reconditioned" and is now claiming it to be a new model since they "reconditioned" it. Recondition or rebuilt can take on all levels of reconditioning or rebuilding so I would be very careful and really know what you are getting. I suggest you look at the manufactures sticker that indicates the year the cart was manufactured and serial number. Its usually on the right / passenger side or the cart in the little chubby hole you put junk in. Ask to see it and if its not the year the dealer / person selling it claims I would really question the reason. Or even worst if its not there at all - its like a vin number on cars. Club Car does factory rebuilds (called gold rebuilds to factory new standards) and places a new sticker with the year and new serial number they rebuilt the cart. Since it was done by Club car I would have a lot of confidence in the cart. Their web site >> Our trained factory technicians break down each remanufactured car to its aluminum chassis and inspect every component and system. The cars are refreshed from top to bottom, test driven and assigned new serial numbers, signifying that they meet the Gold Standard.

And you get the peace of mind that comes from knowing they’re covered by a three-year vehicle and battery warranty.

Club car also used to do a silver rebuild where they don't bring the cart all the way up to factory new standards and they don't replace the sticker with the new rebuild year and serial number.

Not sure if other manufactures do factory rebuilds but I do know I've driven in carts that were only claimed to be yr or so old and I can tell you it wasn't a factory rebuild.

Bottom Line > look at the manufacture sticker with model year and serial number when you purchase any used / rebuilt cart. Like someone said previously when you trade it in the manufacture model year will mean a lot and even if you don't plan on trading it in at least be informed on what you buying.

Happy cart shopping > They are approaching crazy prices.

Topspinmo
06-12-2015, 07:10 AM
IMO reconditioned in not new, but and inspection, worn parts, or cosmetic items may have been replaced. Bottom line to me it's still used even though it's got fancy new body.

Cedwards38
06-12-2015, 07:34 AM
I bought a reconditioned 2010 in 2012 from The Villages Golf Carts in LSL. Like everyone else, it looked brand new and still does. It's been great, but it's starting to nickel and dime me a little now. A new one from then might be doing the same thing, but I'd still have warranty. The price difference was substantial so in my mind it's still a toss up.

village dreamer
06-12-2015, 08:56 AM
I bought a 4 seater ele club cart 2015 reconditioned 'gold' from cart world on 441,love my cart, about 8k.