PDA

View Full Version : Re: Pet Limit

ouma1938
06-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Can anyone tell me if small birds, (cockatiels and parakeets) count in the 2 pet limit. Seems to me like they shouldn't as they are in cages and don't go out and bother people. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks, Barbara

Barefoot
06-08-2008, 06:43 PM
I believe the bylaw "rule" is two domestic animals. And I sure wouldn't count birds as part of that. I was told by a Village agent that the purpose of the bylaw is to make sure people are not breeding animals. And to minimize the nuisance factor.

I don't see how indoor cats or birds or gerbils would ever be a nuisance. Unless your birds sing really, really loudly after 9PM. ;)

ouma1938
06-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks Barefoot. I agree. And the birds don't sing loudly after 9. Although one of them, Loopy, can really turn your head with a wolf whistle. He had it in his repertoire when we rescued him but i must admit that getting a wolf whistle at this point is my life doesn't hurt!

nONIE
06-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Ouma,

As you know, I had cockatiels too for many many years. (sweet little guys). They both screamed out the wolf whistle constantly in fact I think that was the first thing that came out of their beaks!

I was shattered to learn that the wolf whistle is a natural mating call of cockatiels. Sure burst my bubble. I took it as a compliment. :( LOL

redwitch
06-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Nonie, if that's their mating call and they whistled when they saw you, I'd say that's QUITE a compliment. Just think, the birds preferred you over their own species.

nONIE
06-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Red, your hysterical!

You got it all wrong, they took one look at me and kept screaming!!! Thats why they were banished from our home! They kept screaming, and screaming, and screaming :and screaming and.................

ouma1938
06-08-2008, 10:05 PM
I really didn't know that about the mating call and cockatiels. I just talked with Loopy and all he did was chuckle. And then whistled. I took it as a compliment like Red said!

marlenemiddlesis
07-07-2008, 03:40 AM
Is there a noise curfew on pets? eg...barking dogs etc? Any regulations about leaving them in your back yard if you are away from the home? Thank you !

redwitch
07-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Don't know what the actual rules are but I'd be hesitant to leave a dog that barks alone very much. I know some friends that have a pup. He barked in the house when they were away. The neighbors complained. He now has to wear a barkless collar or they will have to find him a new home outside of TV per Neighborhood Watch.

marlenemiddlesis
07-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Hi! We are dog lovers not dog owners at this time. In some 55+ areas, there is a noise curfew including barking dogs, day or night and we're just investigating some questions that other residents have raised. Some retirement areas have restrictions on dog ownership if they weigh over 22lbs as well as breeds. Does that mean Bowser might have to be put on a diet at some point if he gains a few pounds? Barking dogs can be a dreadful nuisance no matter what time of day and it's good to hear there are guidelines in place to handle those matters. Thanks to all that responded!!

redwitch
07-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Definitely no limit on size here. I've seen one of the most beautiful bull mastiffs (brindle) here that I've ever seen. Also a couple of truly sweet-natured Great Danes (yeah, I know, redundant). There's plenty of labs, retrievers and standard poodles, too. Haven't seen any pitbulls, though (and I do like the breed -- if they're not bred for fighting they are truly wonderful dogs). Have seen one chow-chow (now that's an inherently mean dog!) and a couple of charpeis (another not-so-friendly breed). So dogs of all sizes are welcome although the smaller breeds are more popular.

mmclover
07-09-2008, 12:20 AM
I have a Amazon parrot, and was told by my sales agent that he is considered and exotic pet no classified as domestic. Or, was she trying to sell a house?

handieman
07-10-2008, 12:05 AM
My female Guppy had babies and now I have to answer to the :cop:'s
Handie :joke:

redwitch
07-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Handie, don't worry about it -- momma and/or poppa guppy will eat all their babies in no time flat.

Barefoot
07-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Handie, don't worry about it -- momma and/or poppa guppy will eat all their babies in no time flat.

Dee, what a cheery thought; oh well, nature can be cruel.

Marlene, re a noise curfew for pets, just wondering who would tell the dogs what time to stop barking. My dogs haven't learned how to tell time yet. Seriously, most people go to bed early in TV and I think their dogs also go to bed early.

I live in a Courtyard Villa with lots of doggies nearby. I've never heard dogs barking at night! Actually, I've never heard them bark at all during the day unless someone knocks on the door.

Rag Bagger
11-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Barking Dogs should not tolerated anytime day or night and don't have to be. I am an animal lover and it is never the fault of the dog. It is always poor/lazy training on the part of the owner.
I am an advocate of the bark collar but it should be fitted to the owner not the dog. ;)

Tom

graciegirl
11-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Us G's have cats but love dogs too. We have two cute ones next door. Doesn't seem like they bark now that they know us. One is a young fella (mixed breed)and the other is a Jack Russell.

The Great Fumar
11-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Some of you are being given bad advice here, We were told that barking dogs will not be tolerated and animals cannot exceed knee high ...If these guidelines are not adhered to and are reported , they will be immediately addressed...........
What ever that means..........

So lets be careful out there......

fumar :ohdear:

ouma1938
11-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Luckily my cockatiels and the parakeet are not even ankle high, and the cats barely higher so I guess I'm alright. "Immediately addressed" sounds a little scary.

Barefoot
11-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Some of you are being given bad advice here, We were told that barking dogs will not be tolerated and animals cannot exceed knee high ...If these guidelines are not adhered to and are reported , they will be immediately addressed........... What ever that means.......... So lets be careful out there...... fumar

Fumar, I bet the greyhounds and great danes are shaking in their boots. :laugh:

rwcw
11-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Can anyone tell me if small birds, (cockatiels and parakeets) count in the 2 pet limit. Seems to me like they shouldn't as they are in cages and don't go out and bother people. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks, Barbara

Barbara:
Here's the paragraph from the Sumter County Restrictions regarding pets:

2.23 Birds, fish, dogs and cats shall be permitted, with a maximum of two (2) pets per Homesite. Each Owner shall
be personally responsible for any damage caused to dedicated or reserved areas by any such pet and shall be responsible to immediately
remove and dispose of any excrement of such pet and shall be responsible to keep such pet on a leash. No other animals, livestock, or poultry
of any kind shall be raised, bred, or kept on any Homesite or on dedicated or reserved areas.

I hope this is helpful

JohnM
11-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Barbara,

The language posted by RWCW (above) is the same language as I found in the Deed Covenants for my section and to which I agreed when I bought here. Each section has its own Deed Covenants, but they are all similar.

If a rule is not in the Deed Covenants, it may be difficult, if not impossible, to enforce, if it even exists.

Based upon my Deed Covenants, I agreed to a rule on the number of pets, but not on size.

FWIW,

John