PDA

View Full Version : Dogs & Frogs??

scarlet
06-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Has anyone had a situation where their dog was confronted a frog and started foaming at the mouth? I don't think they're poisonous but not taking any chances!

nONIE
06-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Scarlet,

Yes, my friends dog made mouth contact with a frog(not trying to be funny) and almost died. I suggest a very quick trip to the vet if you know your dog has had a frog in his mouth. They can be deadly to a dog.

scarlet
06-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks so much for that info, we will be very careful on our evening walks! :bigthumbsup:

Laura
06-17-2008, 04:22 PM
When a frog is approached by any animal, it emits this slimy substance all over its body. When a cat or a dog touch it, the cat or dog will begin foaming at the mouth and spitting.
It is a defense mechanism for the frog. Yes, please keep your animals away from frogs!

sschuler1
06-17-2008, 04:56 PM
My dog caught a frog and bit down on it, and he did start foaming at the mouth also. We held onto him and rinsed his mouth out with water as much as he would let us. He was fine after about 10 minutes, but we kept a close eye on him in case we needed to run him to the vet.

F16 1UB
07-19-2008, 12:08 AM
Deer droppings, geese, and now I have to worry about frogs? You gotta be kidding me. My only worry was alligators and poisonous snakes. That's scary.

Mintjulep
08-16-2008, 11:42 PM
One of our Schnauzers caught a frog and started foaming at the mouth.
Looked like she had rabies. It lasted about 20 mins.
I've never seen her pick up another one...

I have noticed several little tiny frogs getting into our lanai lately.
Hopefully they are too small to be a problem tho...

Barefoot
08-17-2008, 11:40 PM
I had a dog once who caught a frog. I take it the foam doesn't taste very good! My dog dropped the frog and never went near another one.
Isn't nature wonderful.

PlanetSmoothie
08-25-2008, 02:10 PM
I have 5 Jack Russells and one of them almost died from contact from a frog. He was not foaming but drooled constanlty for hours. He could not stand up, he would just fall over and lay there. I used to work at a vets office so I usually do not worry as much as most would who have not seen what I have. In the morning he was fine, but it was very scary!!! He has not been near another on since!

nONIE
08-25-2008, 02:22 PM
My friends collie was very close to death from making mouth contact with a frog. They emit some sort of toxins which are their defense,we all have to defend ourselves you know, so watch those amphibians!!!!

F16 1UB
09-03-2008, 01:19 PM
This morning, when opening the garage door, a small frog about the size of a ping pong ball came into the garage. Sadie Mae saw it and clobbered it with her paw. Then she proceeded to pick it up. WRONG!!! She immediately started foaming at the mouth. I remembered someone posting stating that they'd rinsed their dogs mouth with water. Okay we tried that. Seemed to work. At least she's better other than running around like she's nuts. Normal behavior. Did I say we are still in KY? Yeah not TV. Had me concerned for 1/2 sec. Okay maybe longer.

F16

nONIE
09-03-2008, 01:42 PM
So glad our heroin is doing fine 16. :bigthumbsup:

zcaveman
09-04-2008, 01:08 AM
So glad our heroin is doing fine 16. :bigthumbsup:

Nonie - did you really mean to say that?? I assume you meant heroine.

nONIE
09-04-2008, 02:38 AM
Thanks for the spelling correction.

Wasant there something about licking a frog and getting high back in the 60's!!! LOL

sschuler1
09-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Glad this thread was able to help our favorite Sadie Mae!

chuckinca
09-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the spelling correction.

Wasant there something about licking a frog and getting high back in the 60's!!! LOL

Kissing a frog to turn it into a prince, yes

Licking a frog to get high sounds like something my younger brothers did between sniffing glue. (They both are TV folk)

nONIE
09-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Well Chuck, if they're in TV, they cant be all bad! ::)