PDA

View Full Version : NBC news anchor Brian Williams is suspended.

tedquick
02-10-2015, 09:24 PM
Brian Williams, now former-NBC news anchor has been suspended without pay for 6 months effective immediately because of his lies, distortions and exaggerated involvement in various national news stories. What are your expectations of journalists?

Edjkoz
02-10-2015, 09:26 PM
Just give me the news and stop editorializing then there would be no need for them to lie

kellyjam
02-10-2015, 09:30 PM
Give Lester Holt the permanent job.

sunnyatlast
02-10-2015, 09:35 PM
I just heard Meghan Kelly and Brit Hume discussing the post mortem on FNC, and from their tone and sympathy, you'd have thought Mother Theresa had just been crucified.

Gimme a break. The empty suit has been making a fortune and can retire on his NBC retirement investments and then write books and give speeches and keep making a fortune off gullible people.

alwann
02-10-2015, 09:40 PM
Brian Williams, now former-NBC news anchor has been suspended without pay for 6 months effective immediately because of his lies, distortions and exaggerated involvement in various national news stories. What are your expectations of journalists?

He's not a journalist. He's a news reader. My expectations of a true journalist are honesty, accuracy, confirmation of facts, authentication of sources and objectivity. Sadly, you don't get these things in network TV news anymore. Brian Williams is a "brand" and will show up somewhere again, "as always."

tomwed
02-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Journalists should not lie, distort and exaggerate.
I wonder how many others do it too.

John_W
02-10-2015, 10:49 PM
I had watched NBC since the days of Huntley Brinkley, never saw Walter Cronkite, not even once. Then whoever else they had, John Chancellor, Tom Browkow and finallaly Brian Williams. A couple of years ago we switched to Diane Sawyer. Brian Williams spoke as if he considered every word and how it played in every corner of America. I have no doubt he was well aware of what he said. Anyway, since Diane retired we continue to watch ABC and their new guy, whoever he is.

senior citizen
02-11-2015, 05:14 AM
I had watched NBC since the days of Huntley Brinkley, never saw Walter Cronkite, not even once. Then whoever else they had, John Chancellor, Tom Browkow and finallaly Brian Williams. A couple of years ago we switched to Diane Sawyer. Brian Williams spoke as if he considered every word and how it played in every corner of America. I have no doubt he was well aware of what he said.

Since Diane retired we continue to watch ABC and their new guy, whoever he is.

We watch David Muir each evening on ABC, always having known he was being groomed to follow in Diane Sawyer's footsteps.

Our pet peeve with her was that she spoke too slowly; yet this anchor is often rushing through his sentences too quickly.........but he's a winner.

High achiever from a very young age in Syracuse New York..........went to a prestigious school of journalism in Spain, I believe, after Ithaca College.....also Georgetown University.

He's very intelligent, personable & not hard on the eyes.........a peer of our childrens' generation.

After him, we turn to CBS & Scott Pelley, actually our favorite. Never watched Brian Williams at all. A Sunday favorite of ours is Bob Scheifer, always "says it like it is"........

David Muir
Nov 08, 1973 (age 41) ·

David Jason Muir is an American journalist and anchor of ABC World News Tonight with David Muir, the news department of the ABC broadcast-television network based in New York City.
Muir previously served as the weekend anchor for the flagship ABC News broadcast ABC World News Tonight and co-anchor of the ABC newsmagazine 20/20.

Muir formerly acted as principal substitute for World News with Diane Sawyer on weeknights and then succeeded Sawyer in the anchor chair.

While at ABC News, David Muir has won multiple Academy awards and Edward R. Murrow awards for his journalism both overseas and in the United States.

dplars
02-11-2015, 08:25 AM
I would expect journalist be held to the same standard of ministers, teachers and business leaders We will not go into politicians. If any one of them committed the same acts of exaggeration, I would think their respective employers would act in kind or more severely. The reasoning is they represent the employer/organization which depends upon public/customer trust. Once that trust is broken, it takes years to rebuild at a severe economic or social cost.

graciegirl
02-11-2015, 08:30 AM
We watch David Muir each evening on ABC, always having known he was being groomed to follow in Diane Sawyer's footsteps.

Our pet peeve with her was that she spoke too slowly; yet this anchor is often rushing through his sentences too quickly.........but he's a winner.

High achiever from a very young age in Syracuse New York..........went to a prestigious school of journalism in Spain, I believe, after Ithaca College.....also Georgetown University.

He's very intelligent, personable & not hard on the eyes.........a peer of our childrens' generation.

After him, we turn to CBS & Scott Pelley, actually our favorite. Never watched Brian Williams at all. A Sunday favorite of ours is Bob Scheifer, always "says it like it is"........

David Muir
Nov 08, 1973 (age 41) ·

David Jason Muir is an American journalist and anchor of ABC World News Tonight with David Muir, the news department of the ABC broadcast-television network based in New York City.
Muir previously served as the weekend anchor for the flagship ABC News broadcast ABC World News Tonight and co-anchor of the ABC newsmagazine 20/20.

Muir formerly acted as principal substitute for World News with Diane Sawyer on weeknights and then succeeded Sawyer in the anchor chair.

While at ABC News, David Muir has won multiple Academy awards and Edward R. Murrow awards for his journalism both overseas and in the United States.

I like people who have been trained in journalism because they edit and summarize. I have some in my family who are very ethical.

I also like Lester Holt.

dewilson58
02-11-2015, 08:43 AM
Hope Muir doesn't lie in the next 25 years.

billethkid
02-11-2015, 09:04 AM
I was disappointed to read that one of the issues in determining Williams fate was that NBC new President was concerned about retaining the number one slot in the evening news. And that slipping to number two could be a reflection of her tenure in the job.

If that was more than just speculative reporting it telegraphs the priorities of those that run the network....and unfortunately the attitude of the day....an assumption the public is either fickle, short memoried or just don't care.

I suspect the 6 months will allow the real outcome to evolve. Lester Holt while not bad is not the favored permanent replacement. It is reasonable to expect the ratings to decline soon. Then we will find out what NBC really wants to do.

Does anyone really believe that Williams credibility will magically return after 6 months?
If remaining number one is the priority does anyone believe the network will let ratings go where they may during a 6 months wait?

I think the Williams incidenents accompanied by the networks reluctance to deal with Williams (ratings or otherwise) together cast the network in an unfavorable light.

Like too many issues of the day we live in, enforcement has become optional!!!

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
02-11-2015, 10:24 AM
I was disappointed to read that one of the issues in determining Williams fate was that NBC new President was concerned about retaining the number one slot in the evening news. And that slipping to number two could be a reflection of her tenure in the job.

If that was more than just speculative reporting it telegraphs the priorities of those that run the network....and unfortunately the attitude of the day....an assumption the public is either fickle, short memoried or just don't care.

I suspect the 6 months will allow the real outcome to evolve. Lester Holt while not bad is not the favored permanent replacement. It is reasonable to expect the ratings to decline soon. Then we will find out what NBC really wants to do.

Does anyone really believe that Williams credibility will magically return after 6 months?
If remaining number one is the priority does anyone believe the network will let ratings go where they may during a 6 months wait?

I think the Williams incidenents accompanied by the networks reluctance to deal with Williams (ratings or otherwise) together cast the network in an unfavorable light.

Like too many issues of the day we live in, enforcement has become optional!!!

What do you expect would be the concerns of the network president? Of course she wants to keep her network #1. That's the goal of all the networks. And of course she would take the blame if they slipped in the ratings. That's her responsibility.

And why do you feel that the network was reluctant to deal with Williams? They suspended him for six months without pay. That sounds like they've dealt with him. Or maybe you think that he should just be fired. That may happen, in the future, but I would say that they've taken a first step.

graciegirl
02-11-2015, 10:28 AM
What do you expect would be the concerns of the network president? Of course she wants to keep her network #1. That's the goal of all the networks. And of course she would take the blame if they slipped in the ratings. That's her responsibility.

And why do you feel that the network was reluctant to deal with Williams? They suspended him for six months without pay. That sounds like they've dealt with him. Or maybe you think that he should just be fired. That may happen, in the future, but I would say that they've taken a first step.

I agree. It isn't easy being at the top and thus the big bucks. Rock and a hard place would sum it up.

2BNTV
02-11-2015, 11:07 AM
As Far far as Brian Williams is concerned, Sgt Joe Friday said it best, "just the facts, mame".

Ratings are what broadcaster are ultimately measure on. Low ratings equals someone being replaced, with a new face".

memason
02-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Well, personally, I like Brian Williams... Not sure I really care that he said he was in a helicopter hit by an RPG or saw a body floating down Canal Street in New Orleans.

Bottonline: He was there, risking his life to report the news for us. I don't believe any of these embellishments materially changed any of the "facts" of the real story.

But, everyone has their own tolerance of such things....

dewilson58
02-11-2015, 11:57 AM
Well, personally, I like Brian Williams... Not sure I really care that he said he was in a helicopter hit by an RPG or saw a body floating down Canal Street in New Orleans.

Bottonline: He was there, risking his life to report the news for us. I don't believe any of these embellishments materially changed any of the "facts" of the real story.

I only wish I knew the word "embellishment" when I was 10.......maybe my mom would have had more tolerance for my lies.

tomwed
02-11-2015, 12:16 PM
I think it's fair to say this is a golfing community. Golfers that lie get no respect. Once you are sure someone writes down the wrong score and it's not an accident or bends the rules they get no respect. So when they say "I shot 3 over yesterday" everyone says "That's great" but thinks "Yea, right." There's no need to lie, it's only a game.

I wonder if golfing communities have a higher standard when it comes to honesty.

or better yet

I wonder if anyone says if they lie about the game of golf they probably lie about everything else.

graciegirl
02-11-2015, 12:20 PM

I like Brian Williams too, but he shoulda thought before he enlarged his story. We would have all understood if he was a butcher down on the corner.

And calling something an embellishment would never fly with an Ohio Catholic grandmother like the one who raised me. I think her ancestors were the questioners in the inquisition. But she was equally as kind. And people back then were raised to be good. Now that's hokey.

billethkid
02-11-2015, 12:41 PM

Of course I know the content of the 1st paragraph. My mind set is from the perspective of the position of remaining number one is not a valid consideration when dealing with wrong doing and damage to the network's credibility.

I feel they were reluctant only because for me what he did was "cause" for dismissal. It is not worth tip toeing around the "cause" as it sends the wrong message to every other executive and employee in the organization. As difficult as it may be it is the responsibility of senior management to replace even a super star when they screw up and do what ever it takes to assure the performance is unaffected.

Almost any executive or star performer removed for "cause" would or could win a popularity contest....which has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

There are always varying opinions regarding removal of somebody for doing wrong. The above is my opinion and past experience.

DeanFL
02-11-2015, 12:44 PM
Watched BW on NBC news for years. Got tired of him/NBC a few months ago and switched to Muir and ABC newscast. Saw very little difference in content etc. But was OK for a change. Seems that so much of network news is entertainment, but understand that if it was simply hard news reading the majority of public would tune out.

Perfect resolution for Brian Williams career - when Jon Stewart leaves very popular The Daily Show on Comedy Central later this year... BW is the replacement. His personality, comedic edge, and tainted image would be a perfect fit. He has been a guest there many times and probably has a relationship with producers/execs. Could easily slide into that seat and bring some audience with him and not lose many of Stewart's followers. And it would pay big money as well as stature which would appeal to BWs ego.

Laurie2
02-11-2015, 02:01 PM
Hubris. . .it never ends well.

I find it interesting that the suspension is without pay. Must have been a "pants on fire" clause in his contract.

karostay
02-11-2015, 02:59 PM
2 Buses are driving down road in Baghdad 20 reporters in each bus
Both buses come under heavy hostel fire only bus sustains damage the other escapes unscathed.
Is the bus that did not sustain damages any less of a news story or experience than their counterparts?

Time to let it rest

My hats off to Brian Williams for his life long dedication to what he loves :ho:

graciegirl
02-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Both buses come under heavy hostel fire only bus sustains damage the other escapes unscathed.
Is the bus that did not sustain damages any less of a news story or experience than their counterparts?

Time to let it rest

My hats off to Brian Williams for his life long dedication to what he loves :ho:

And it paid well and it looks like he is retiring early. He may be looking for a home here soon.

gomoho
02-11-2015, 03:15 PM

Time to let it rest

Not a valid comparison. Turns out he wasn't even in the same group of helicopters - his was going in the opposite direction according to Stars and Stripes. Unfortunately his life long dedication seems to have been "embellishment"!

gomoho
02-11-2015, 03:18 PM
I just heard Meghan Kelly and Brit Hume discussing the post mortem on FNC, and from their tone and sympathy, you'd have thought Mother Theresa had just been crucified.

Gimme a break. The empty suit has been making a fortune and can retire on his NBC retirement investments and then write books and give speeches and keep making a fortune off gullible people.

I caught part of Meghan Kelly and Brit Hume and was just as shocked when Shephard Smith broke in on the O'Reilly show for breaking news about the suspension. After I thought about it I realized this is a big deal to these folks cause they are in the business and can relate. I don't think they realize this isn't even a blip on most of our radar screens. But then again maybe it is since we are all talking about it.

CFrance
02-11-2015, 04:55 PM
He's not a journalist. He's a news reader. My expectations of a true journalist are honesty, accuracy, confirmation of facts, authentication of sources and objectivity. Sadly, you don't get these things in network TV news anymore. Brian Williams is a "brand" and will show up somewhere again, "as always."
Why just network news? You don't get it in any tv news.

And he actually is, or was, a journalist. Apparently just not a truthful one. According to an article in the LA Times, he was always prone to exaggeration, but the people who worked with him and were able to keep him in line moved on when Comcast bought NBC.

Shimpy
02-11-2015, 06:00 PM
When he returns after 6 months , if he really does, who can ever believe his reports again? Only those that want to. Not me. I think he's done as far as being a top newscaster.

JoMar
02-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Don't trust any network news....their agendas are counter to what we need to know. The commercials (yes they are necessary) limit the stories they cover, the bias of the networks are so obvious that there are rarely opposing views presented. They have become news shapers not reporters. Ratings and personnel brand are their priorities.

Taltarzac725
02-12-2015, 09:26 AM

I like this man's take. It does seem like more and more news programs are more about entertainment rather than presenting the facts in various stories.

Brian Williams: Fake news, real news, and the state of journalism - CSMonitor.com (http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder/Decoder-Voices/2015/0211/Brian-Williams-Fake-news-real-news-and-the-state-of-journalism)

George Bieniaszek
02-12-2015, 09:47 AM
I think that Brian Williams' hiatus for 6 months will award him the time needed to work on perfecting his new career in rap music :)

http://youtu.be/-YCeIgt7hMs

billethkid
02-12-2015, 09:57 AM
And consistent with how news is reported it is very often as important to discover what has not been said. In the releases yesterday reviewing the 3 options that were considered for Williams the 6 months leave without pay EXCLUDES any promise of returning to his old job!

It is highly unlikely the network will just idle along waiting for his return. They will take what ever actio(s) neccessary to maintain their number one position. And then face the gamble of whether to gamble/risk putting him back.

Why would they wait 6 months to roll the dice of uncertainty 6 monthd hence?

dbussone
02-12-2015, 10:27 AM
A true journalist, Bob Simon of 60 Minutes, was killed in a car accident last night. He was the antithesis of celebrity journalists like Williams. Those who make themselves part of the news should take note.

Tom78
02-12-2015, 01:25 PM
Who cares!

CFrance
02-12-2015, 01:32 PM
Who cares!

I hope you mean who cares about Brian Williams and not about Bob Simon.