PDA

View Full Version : Critters in the lanai

marianne237
06-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Okay, the anoles I can live with (call them "dragons"), but a 14" small snake I can't share my lanai with. Where did it come from and how do I get rid of it?

doster
06-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Just another critter looking for a cool place. Probably a garden snake. Harmless. Just pick him up with a small shovel or stick and put him out in a grassy area somewhere. They are beneficial. They eat bugs.
Critter Lover
Deb

JohnN
06-17-2008, 09:02 PM
likely harmless, still .... see if you can get somebody else to pick 'em up and put him elsewhere
;D

borjo
06-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Most of these critters come in under the siding from the outside, along the channel and in. We stuffed, at first plastic bubble wrap under the bottom siding and now steel wool. The bubble wrap came out when we cleaned the lanai. Does help.

LeeAndDottie
09-15-2008, 07:22 PM
I have geckos in my lanai all the time, usually 4-6 of them. I also get small frogs, about dime size. They come in during a very rainy period. I've also had 3 snakes, anywhere from 18" to 2' long. Our house has bark mulch the entire way around it, right up to the lanai. When I am woking in the mulch around the lanai, digging, planting, etc, that apparently disturbs the snakes that are there (even though I don't see them). I come out on the lanai the next morning and there is a snake. I had screen doors made for our sliding doors because of the critters. What I did was to get a broom and just keep working them to the screen door. Those black ones are very fiesty when they feel cornered -- they'll strike at you, so don't get too close while sweeping. They can only strike about 1/3 of their length, so you're not in great peril.

I put a bunch of caulking in the corners where the enclosure is put together. But, all these little guys can squeeze in through the saw cuts, by a screen door that isn't a perfect fit, etc. My neighbor got some of the insulation spray foam that expands to fill spaces. It works pretty well for him, but geckos still get in. His next line of defense is a cat.

bestmickey
09-15-2008, 10:48 PM
I am phobic around snakes. Can't stand to even look at them. Once I'm living in TV, is there something that I'll be able to do/have done that will 100% keep snakes out of my lanai? I hope!

mulligan
09-15-2008, 10:54 PM
be careful!!!!!!! there is a pygmy rattlesnake in florida!!! very agressive

chuckinca
09-15-2008, 11:18 PM
be careful!!!!!!! there is a pygmy rattlesnake in florida!!! very agressive

Thanks for sharing!

bike42
09-16-2008, 10:53 AM
I love the anoles/geckos. Is there any way to encourage more of them to take up residence in my yard?

inda50
09-16-2008, 04:22 PM
:MOJE_whot:likely harmless, still .... see if you can get somebody else to pick 'em up and put him elsewhere

;D

funny answer!!!

joannej
09-16-2008, 06:26 PM
If you put a fountain in your backyard you will attract more gecko's and anoles.

johudd
09-16-2008, 07:34 PM
I am terrified of snakes - if they are rampant in The Villages - I'm not coming there!!!!

Lucko
09-16-2008, 08:54 PM
FWIW -- snakes are not common -- I have seen one in two years and it probably came out of new landscaping -- fountains, birdbaths, etc. are not allowed in most of the newer villages -- all over the south, when you have water, you will see more critters -- certainly not a reason to avoid The Villages -- Come on down before housing recovers --

travelstiles
09-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Our two cats keep the garden visitors in check - we've seen very few, as they usually leave quickly after a little playtime!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/dorothy.stiles/SM3UMYPui5I/AAAAAAAACoY/V1EH9chE0RQ/s400/IMG_1310.jpg

chuckinca
09-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Very pretty kitty kat!

JAV0108
09-17-2008, 08:20 AM
The pygmy rattlesnakes are not aggressive as stated in another post. Look up all Florida snakes at Florida Snakes in google search. They have pictures of all snakes poisonous and non.

johudd
09-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Thanks Lucko - my sister keeps sending me pics of snakes and alligators hoping I won't move. We are trying to sell our house in MA -wanna get outta here before the winter!!!! We are coming snakes or no snakes.

melvin
09-20-2008, 08:37 AM
I love the stories about snakes in the Villages. Great stuff to pass arround on the golf course when your ball goes in the reeds. That way I can muck arround to my hearts content and pick up all the balls that are left by people scared of snakes.

In 10 years I have seen only three snakes, all harmless, and quite anxious to flee.

If you see one outside leave it alone and it will simply disappear. If you manage to get one in your Lanai there are propbably some friendly neighbors who will be glad to sweep it out with a broom. I know that I would gladly help just for the fun.