PDA

View Full Version : BAD Lawn Service.....Where are the good ones?

bholland007
03-01-2015, 11:31 PM
I am so over Leon's Lawn Service.....when they had very few customers to service, they promised you the world. But now they say they do not need you as a customer if you complain about there awful service. Do not use them no matter what, lawn service people are a dime a dozen, but still looking for the right one.

OBXNana
03-02-2015, 04:47 AM
We were charged monthly for lawn service that wasn't completed. It is a large company that I won't mention here, because we may have been an isolated case. We are signing with a company that does our home watch and is expanding to lawn service. They do a wonderful job for the home watch and look forward to similar service with the lawn. There are different options. We are going with the twice a month mowing and PULLING of weeds in beds.

They advertise on this forum, Lighthouse Home Watch 353-445-3250.

theorem painter
03-02-2015, 08:17 AM
We also use Leon's and we are very disappointed in their service. I heard that they actually "fired" a customer because she asked to have her lawn edged, something that they said they do on a regular basis. We are also in search of a new lawn service.

TNLAKEPANDA
03-02-2015, 09:19 AM
We had similar experience with bad service and a terrible looking law with Regal. One would thing that a small company would go the extra mile to keep happy customers.

Cedwards38
03-02-2015, 10:34 AM
I've used Massey for nearly three years, and they haven't let me down.

linda_sears
03-06-2015, 07:14 AM
Smitty lawn and tree had never disappointed me and anyone I have recommended them to. 352-561-1999 Matt Smith

karostay
03-06-2015, 07:24 AM
Fertigator:clap2::clap2::clap2:

TV MAN
03-06-2015, 07:35 AM
Cedwards38 what do you have massey do for you? Cutting your lawn, Just fertilizing do they trim?

village dreamer
03-06-2015, 07:49 AM
my lawn people are not that "smart" cutting my grass 2 times this winter,spraying weed killer,........but weeds still there.............no more pre paying . when you find a good one let us know.............please.

SisalPhil
03-30-2015, 08:28 PM
Save yourself some trouble don't try Service Smart

mrlarry
03-30-2015, 11:41 PM
Stay away from Hometown. They haven't fulfilled any of my 4 contracts.

graciegirl
03-31-2015, 05:49 AM
I am so over Leon's Lawn Service.....when they had very few customers to service, they promised you the world. But now they say they do not need you as a customer if you complain about there awful service. Do not use them no matter what, lawn service people are a dime a dozen, but still looking for the right one.

We cut out own grass when we lived up North, but many neighbors did not. It cost them a LOT of money. Here the typical bill for grass cutting is about fifty bucks a month, but that includes the dormant season for a year contract. I think that a huge bargain compared to the weekly fee of about that my neighbors paid to have grass cut in Ohio.

We have had two lawn services, one when we lived in Hadley and one in this house. It is wise for new residents to talk to their neighbors to see what they like and to hire someone who is already vetted.

We have chosen the residential part of Mike's Maintenance, the one that services the common area of The Villages. Their company came with The Morses from Michigan back when. As they told us when we booked, if we had a problem to report it. They are depending on new help a lot, it is hard to keep these enterprising young men and women, they decide to open their own business. If something was missed or done badly call the office and tell them. If you want your weeds PULLED, expect to pay a lot for it, it is backbreaking work. I know, I pull ours and Sweetie does too. Keep your pine straw thick.. If you want your bushes trimmed, that is extra, but easy to do, even for this old person.

Good luck. Remember what you pay is a bargain. Ask your neighbors first.

Cedwards38
03-31-2015, 06:42 AM
Cedwards38 what do you have massey do for you? Cutting your lawn, Just fertilizing do they trim?

They don't mow, but they do everything else. I have lawn and schrub fertilization, termite control, insect control, and sprinkler inspection and maintenance from them. They seem to go out of their way to please me. I hire a guy from Wildwood to mow for me and he's done a good job for three years now. I hire another fellow to trim my hedges when they need it.

Laurie2
03-31-2015, 07:13 AM
We use the same mowing company as many of our neighbors. That seems to work. It is obviously more efficient for the mowers to be unloaded once to go from yard to yard to yard. Time is money and the mowing companies should try to keep a street -- or most of a street -- happy. Talk to your neighbors. Especially neighbors who live here all year because they will know how it goes in all seasons.

We use Dean's for fertilizing and treating the yard and for the bug stuff. We have found Dean's to be responsive and professional.

Weeds? It is not easy to find a company to do that. Again, time is money.

So I went to Home Depot. Bought a big bottle of ready-to-use Roundup with a wand attached to the side. I patrol the landscape beds and stop the weeds and invading grass before they get much of a start.

I also bought a big container of Preen with a sprinkle-top. I hit the landscape rocks with that. Preen is a pre-emergent. It won't kill weeds but it prevents some of them. Sometimes I catch weeds growing on those rocks. I guess it takes only a touch of dirt for them to start.

We also bought a battery-operated trimmer and take care of the shrubs. We cut one in half a couple of weeks ago and it is coming back beautifully.

So this is what we do. But our yard is the size of a postage stamp. We like it like that. Had our share of acreage.

I quickly figured out that fending off those weeds was going to be up to me. It is too hard to find somebody for weeds. (Besides, doing it myself takes less time than being aggravated.)

Cuts-to-the-Chase Laurie

dewilson58
03-31-2015, 07:18 AM
Fertigator:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Another Fertigator vote

normandy
03-31-2015, 10:13 AM
WHAT EVER YOU DO DON'T GET {SERVICE SMART} THEY ARE GOING THE WAY OF STELLA, THEY SUC---------------------------------:spoken:

normandy
03-31-2015, 10:18 AM
YES DO NOT HIRE SERVICE SMART THEY ARE THE NEW STELLA, DO NOT SHOW UP, WE WILL BE THERE, DON,T COME.:spoken:

Philip Winkler
03-31-2015, 10:43 AM
We use Dean's.
We use Oxford Lawn Service for mowing--call Tom at 352-446-3497. We are very pleased with him.
I hired someone to trim all of our shrubs as a one shot deal. I usually do the trimming, one side of the house at a time.

Northpoint
03-31-2015, 10:43 AM
I use S & W mowing and couldn't be happier. 352-638-7144 or 352-461-6377. They are a couple of the local charter school kids cutting grass, like we did in the old days, to make some money. They are very respectful and hard working.

Barefoot
03-31-2015, 01:30 PM
YES DO NOT HIRE SERVICE SMART THEY ARE THE NEW STELLA, DO NOT SHOW UP, WE WILL BE THERE, DON,T COME.:spoken:

We used Stellar for two years. We currently use Service Smart.
We've had no problems at all with their service
And we like the fact they are a full-service company, only one point of contact, and they have an office with a person who answers the phone.

villagetinker
03-31-2015, 04:49 PM
We use Deans for almost 2 years, great service.

Shimpy
03-31-2015, 05:32 PM
I've been cutting mine myself after being unsatisfied with lawn service that won't trim around donuts, scalping the lawn even though I asked it to be cut high, and paying for service in Dec., Jan, and Feb. when there is nothing new to cut. Lawn companies never sharpen their blades which is very important. A dull blade will just knock off the blade of grass leaving a ragged torn edge which will turn brown. A sharp blade will cut it cleanly. I sharpen my blade every 3 or 4 cuttings, and have one of the best looking lawns on the block every year.

Vladimir
03-31-2015, 06:28 PM
Smitty lawn and tree had never disappointed me and anyone I have recommended them to. 352-561-1999 Matt Smith

Do not hire Smitty Lawn. I tried him...terrible attitude, does not listen or care and does not know how to cut grass.

linda_sears
03-31-2015, 06:34 PM
Sorry you feel that way Vladimir. I've been using him and recommending him for years. His work is wonderful. But looking back at your posts it seems yoy have problems with many people. Matt is the best

Kahuna32162
03-31-2015, 08:33 PM
Another Fertigator vote

Fertigator. Has brought our lawn back from the death sentence that service smart delivered. They are a growing company experiencing some issues with the growth. I am being patient for now.

Vladimir
04-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Sorry you feel that way Vladimir. I've been using him and recommending him for years. His work is wonderful. But looking back at your posts it seems yoy have problems with many people. Matt is the best

I don't have problems with many people as you suggest, only with workers or contractors who don't do a good job. You must have low quality expectations since you like Smitty but its your lawn and your money...

Shadow8IA
04-01-2015, 09:02 PM
Try Jose Salinas (352) 573-9023. Our neighbors have used him for 8 years with no problems. He's mowed ours for the last 2 weeks with no problems and he cut our tree branches down. He only charges 1/2 price Nov-Feb when he mows every other week and his monthly rate, with weekly mowing is very reasonable.

Phanatic Luvr
04-06-2015, 08:06 AM
I'm also surprised with your negative comment about Smitty's Lawn Service. Have seen many lawns he does and I'm quite picky, in regards to cut, edging, blowing, etc.. I have never seen one that didn't look great. In fact, due to hubby's health issues, we just hired him. He is hard to get a hold of but I think his quality of work is far superior than most I have seen here in TV's. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Choice Maintenance
04-15-2015, 04:31 PM
We assign a dedicated crew for each service you have with us, that way each service gets someones full attention. Most companies expect their mow crews to cut 30 yards a day and pull every weed in each flower bed they come across. That's ridiculous and basically sets them up for failure. We pride ourselves on our reliability and quality. We offer the best routine maintenance around when it comes to weeding in the flower beds and shrub pruning. We've been around for almost ten years and aren't one of those fly by night companies. Our estimates are free so give Tate a call at (352)-502-2880.:boom:

ScorpioSquared
04-20-2015, 07:57 AM
Save yourself some trouble don't try Service Smart

May I ask why? We have been solicited by them and are looking for a reliable lawn service especially since we will be "back and forth" up north for a bit.

Hawss
04-20-2015, 08:58 AM
We've been satisfied with Landscuptures.

Muffie555
04-21-2015, 10:29 AM
Service Smart is terrible they took over my 1600 dollar contract from Stellar and looks like they haven't been here at all - lots of weeds in lawn and weeds in donuts that I pay an extra 200 dollars for
They won't return my 5 calls
Does anyone have suggestions? Small claims court? Please comment if someone wants to join me in putting pressure on them
Thanks

dbussone
04-21-2015, 10:34 AM
Service Smart is terrible they took over my 1600 dollar contract from Stellar and looks like they haven't been here at all - lots of weeds in lawn and weeds in donuts that I pay an extra 200 dollars for
They won't return my 5 calls
Does anyone have suggestions? Small claims court? Please comment if someone wants to join me in putting pressure on them
Thanks

You may wish to start by talking with Seniors vs Crime. They are located in the SCSO branch on 466 near Morse Blvd.