PDA

View Full Version : Golf carts as a traveling machine

twoplanekid
03-04-2015, 09:17 AM
As most of the golf carts driven in The Villages are designed for golf course travel, what changes should be considered to make them safer for use as a traveling machine? I haven’t purchased a golf cart and will probably rent until I become a full timer. So, my experience with them is very limited. Should these modifications be made mandatory by the District governments to reduce insurance costs and provide a safer environment for everyone? I understand that they are looking into golf cart safety.

For starters, I believe and have heard on this site that seat belts are a must. Should they be made mandatory?

graciegirl
03-04-2015, 09:31 AM
As most of the golf carts driven in The Villages are designed for golf course travel, what changes should be considered to make them safer for use as a traveling machine? I haven’t purchased a golf cart and will probably rent until I become a full timer. So, my experience with them is very limited. Should these modifications be made mandatory by the District governments to reduce insurance costs and provide a safer environment for everyone? I understand that they are looking into golf cart safety.

For starters, I believe and have heard on this site that seat belts are a must. Should they be made mandatory?

I am not yet convinced they add to safety. Kind of like being strapped on a bike. But I have an open mind.

Buy a used cart. You will want a second one later.(After all you have two airplanes, ;) )AND drive as if everyone is nuts, because they are.

Arctic Fox
03-04-2015, 09:31 AM
As most of the golf carts driven in The Villages are designed for golf course travel, what...should be considered to make them safer for use as a traveling machine?

I'll leave others with more experience of modifying carts to really address your question but, to my mind, the most important consideration is to drive with extreme care - carts are fun, but they are not toys - and to assume that no-one else out there is paying attention

twoplanekid
03-04-2015, 09:58 AM
It is my understanding that many people use them as cars. As the volume of cart traffic increases, the likelihood of accidents also increases. It seems to me that everyone should be concerned and try to be proactive to implement changes to increase the safety of golf carts used as transportation vehicles.

A golf cart weights one heck of a lot more that a bicycle and travels a lot faster than I can pedal.

redwitch
03-04-2015, 10:36 AM
I can't imagine any cart sold locally not having the basic requirements to be driven as transportation. That is, headlights, turn signals, windshield. An enclosure package is a nice to have but not mandatory. Seatbelts are a wise move but not mandatory. Windshield wipers would be lovely but don't think you can get them with a fold down windshield. Street legal carts are another story and ill-advised, in my opinion.

As has been said, do remember they are not toys and drive very, very defensively, whether car or cart, but especially cart.

twoplanekid
03-04-2015, 11:39 AM
I would add two observations to the discussion as having rented a white numbered golf cart. Rear visibility using the installed mirror is limited and even more so when the enclosure is installed. Though they said the cart would go 20 M.P.H., I had the pedal to the metal and was still being passed. The cart didn’t have a speedometer. Better rear view mirrors and a speedometer in every golf cart?

Rango
03-04-2015, 01:35 PM
[/B][/COLOR]

I am not yet convinced they add to safety. Kind of like being strapped on a bike. But I have an open mind.

Buy a used cart. You will want a second one later.(After all you have two airplanes, ;) )AND drive as if everyone is nuts, because they are.

Google: "golf cart crash tests". You will change your mind

ugotme
03-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Personally, hate the word MANDATORY.

If YOU feel safer/better with seat belts in your golf cart then by all means
get them.

Not trying to be a wise guy just my opinion!

Barefoot
03-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Though they said the cart would go 20 M.P.H., I had the pedal to the metal and was still being passed.

Just because people passed you, it doesn't mean your cart was going too slow!
If your cart was capable of going 20 MPH, and you had "pedal to the metal", it means the carts passing you were speeding.
I've heard that insurance can be denied if a golf cart has been engineered to exceed the Village speed limit of 20 mph.

twoplanekid
03-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Personally, hate the word MANDATORY.

If YOU feel safer/better with seat belts in your golf cart then by all means
get them.

Not trying to be a wise guy just my opinion!

I agree with you as an RC pilot who is not looking forward to all of the new rules governing flying drones. Yet, some things must change. Golf carts were designed for use on golf courses. Changes have and should be made to make them safer to use on the Village cart paths.

Should more equipment be required on carts, it’s up to someone to decide. Visit this discussion on who rules the cart paths -> https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/jurisdiction-multi-modal-recreation-paths-tv-33195/

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
03-04-2015, 02:51 PM
Headlights, taillights, brake lights and a horn.

I'm not a big fan of government mandates. Seat belts are an option as are motorcycle helmets. Golf carts are not cars. They will never be as safe as cars. Trying to make them as safe as cars is foolish. What's next mandating seat belts on bicycles? If you ride a motorcycle, bicycle or golf cart, you are assuming certain risks. If you want to be perfectly safe, don't ride any of them. And don't forget, golf carts are limited to under 20 mph. Even though many may go a bit faster than that 22 or 23 mph doesn't increase the safety hazard by very much.

twoplanekid
03-04-2015, 03:32 PM
I too am not a big fan of government mandates.

As a private pilot of 40 plus years, I have had to comply with a multitudinous list of rules, regulations and equipment mandates to be allowed to fly. Yet, some of those have probably kept me alive.

Golf carts are not cars but here in the Villages they are being advertised and used as such. Certain equipment items on carts might lead to a safer cart environment at little additional cost. As the Districts are looking at cart safety, apparently something bad is a happening. Many factors come into play so that it’s not always just the pilot or driver at fault.

How do you know how fast you are going without a speedometer?

dewilson58
03-04-2015, 03:48 PM

As a private pilot of 40 plus years, I have had to comply with a multitudinous list of rules, regulations and equipment mandates to be allowed to fly. Yet, some of those have probably kept me alive.

Golf carts are not cars but here in the Villages they are being advertised and used as such. Certain equipment items on carts might lead to a safer cart environment at little additional cost. As the Districts are looking at cart safety, apparently something bad is a happening. Many factors come into play so that it’s not always just the pilot or driver at fault.

there are apps for phones that will tell you a speed.......very accurate.

dewilson58
03-04-2015, 03:49 PM
Just because people passed you, it doesn't mean your cart was going too slow!
If your cart was capable of going 20 MPH, and you had "pedal to the metal", it means the carts passing you were speeding.
I've heard that insurance can be denied if a golf cart has been engineered to exceed the Village speed limit of 20 mph.

And Warranties can be voided.

John_W
03-04-2015, 04:03 PM
...Should these modifications be made mandatory by the District governments to reduce insurance costs and provide a safer environment for everyone?...

Insurance costs on a cart is about $100 to $150 per year. You can get it through you're auto, home or a stand alone policy. We went through Villages Insurance for our home and when we bought a cart we got a separate golf cart policy from Villages Insurance written by Foremost Insurance. First year was 2011 it was $140, since then it has only been about $100.

graciegirl
03-04-2015, 04:18 PM
headlights, taillights, brake lights and a horn.

I'm not a big fan of government mandates. Seat belts are an option as are motorcycle helmets. Golf carts are not cars. They will never be as safe as cars. Trying to make them as safe as cars is foolish. What's next mandating seat belts on bicycles? If you ride a motorcycle, bicycle or golf cart, you are assuming certain risks. If you want to be perfectly safe, don't ride any of them. And don't forget, golf carts are limited to under 20 mph. Even though many may go a bit faster than that 22 or 23 mph doesn't increase the safety hazard by very much.

Excellent post, sir.

twoplanekid
03-04-2015, 04:50 PM
Insurance costs on a cart is about $100 to $150 per year. You can get it through you're auto, home or a stand alone policy. We went through Villages Insurance for our home and when we bought a cart we got a separate golf cart policy from Villages Insurance written by Foremost Insurance. First year was 2011 it was $140, since then it has only been about $100.

If the intermodal paths are private property and controlled by the Districts, I wonder what their insurance costs are for these cart pathways. Plus, if everyone could save just $2 per year on their cart policy by having a better cart safety record in The Villages, we could more than afford to pay (50,000 carts x$2) for the trees on Lake Miona that were cut down.

I am just trying to think out of the box to improve the safe use of golf carts in the Villages. I have enjoyed all of the comments and look forward to again riding the trails later this month upon my return from Ohio.

tedquick
03-04-2015, 05:27 PM
A couple "quick" comments: I have had seat belts installed and use them without exception except when I'm golfing. I simply feel safer. I also have had "liquid lights" installed which makes my cart very visible both during the day and at night. If anyone cannot see me with all my lights then they shouldn't be driving. Having said that, I always drive very defensively and assume that anyone near me, whether in a car, on a bike on in another golf cart is possible danger. "Watch out"!!! and "beware" is my motto.

logdog
03-04-2015, 05:44 PM
I would add two observations to the discussion as having rented a white numbered golf cart. Rear visibility using the installed mirror is limited and even more so when the enclosure is installed. Though they said the cart would go 20 M.P.H., I had the pedal to the metal and was still being passed. The cart didn’t have a speedometer. Better rear view mirrors and a speedometer in every golf cart?

Many of the rental white numbered carts only go 15 MPH. That may be why you were getting passed. And as another poster mentioned, there are apps to check your speed. I use my car GPS occasionally to check that my cart isn't going over 20 MPH.

There are people who modify their carts to go up to 30 MPH but if caught (and there are golf cart speed traps here), the fine can be over $500 plus court appearances and mandatory professional modification to bring the cart back to 20 MPH. If a modified cart gets in an accident, they may find their insurance is voided.

JoMar
03-04-2015, 08:13 PM
Does anyone know anyone that has been stopped for speeding in a golf cart, and if they were prosecuted? With all the other stuff going on in TV I suspect golf carts going a few miles over the speed limit is not high on their list. At least based on the number of carts that pass me while I'm doing 19.7MPH.

mulligan
03-05-2015, 06:29 AM
If you get stopped, it is not a "speeding" ticket. It is a criminal violation. Operating an un-insured, unregistered, Low speed vehicle. Requires a mandatory court appearance, and professional modification of the cart to not exceed 20 mph. This was a first hand experience.

DougB
03-05-2015, 06:46 AM

Who is advertising carts as cars?

Madelaine Amee
03-05-2015, 06:49 AM

I've seen them somewhere called "golf cars". I don't know where I saw it, but it stuck in my mind.

Madelaine Amee
03-05-2015, 06:54 AM
Also, not mentioned on this thread ............. you do not have to have a Driver's License to drive a golf cart. So you have golf carts traveling all over the place - on the road with vehicles - and the driver may never have had, or may have lost, their license.:22yikes:

graciegirl
03-05-2015, 07:53 AM

YOU are gonna love it here. Buy yourself a golf cart...a nice used one or rent one and drive around for a total of three months. Then think of things to help.

Read Dr.Winston Boogie's post and then print it.

Drive very cautiously....People do NOT drive here like we are used to in Ohio. Expect anything, drive very defensively. This time of year, spring break, grandparents toss the keys to their very young grandkids. So far no youngster has been killed or caused a deadly accident, but they have wrecked up their grandparents golf carts.

We love our 22 year old grandson so much that when he asked to take the cart last month, after completing an internship in LA and driving there without incident, we told him no.

Fourteen people have died in golf cart accidents in the last five years. Some of them were liquor fueled. Some of them were lack of experience. All of them were because a golf cart is not an enclosed fortified vehicle.

Join us and be careful. You are a pilot and a smart man. We want to keep you alive and we want you to love this place like we do. Part of the fun is driving a golf cart to the grocery, and to the dentist and doctors, and out to dinner and to the squares and to your friends home and to play golf and pickleball and swim, and bowl and .....well you get the picture.

But get yourself a golf cart. AND be very careful.

twoplanekid
03-05-2015, 08:57 AM
I believe that graciegirl is making my point. She and I believe that golf carts are not cars and can be dangerous. She stated that “Fourteen people have died in golf cart accidents in the last five years. Some of them were liquor fueled. Some of them were lack of experience. All of them were because a golf cart is not an enclosed fortified vehicle.”

As far as publicly stating or advertising the use of carts as cars, graciegirl says “Part of the fun is driving a golf cart to the grocery, and to the dentist and doctors, and out to dinner and to the squares and to your friends home and to play golf and pickleball and swim, and bowl and .....well you get the picture.” Almost everyone says this about the use of golf carts in the Villages. Use them as cars.

Maybe I should never have used the word mandatory. So, lets back up a bit. If you could dream or make a wish for an upgrade to your cart that would make it safer for you to use on the intermodal roads, what would that be?

To make our golf cart operations safer should not be looked at as ridiculous. My look at this is very new and much less experience than most of you. So, I am relying on you to help me decide on the extra equipment that would be good to have to give me the best change of having an enjoyable and safe ride.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
03-05-2015, 09:01 AM

I agree that there are some government mandates that are reasonable. I wouldn't want you plane falling out of the sky onto my house for example. I wouldn't want people driving cars that have no license or training on how to drive.
I guess the question is at what point do mandates become intrusive and unnecessary. I think that we all probably have different opinions on that.

graciegirl
03-05-2015, 10:11 AM
I believe that graciegirl is making my point. She and I believe that golf carts are not cars and can be dangerous. She stated that “Fourteen people have died in golf cart accidents in the last five years. Some of them were liquor fueled. Some of them were lack of experience. All of them were because a golf cart is not an enclosed fortified vehicle.”

As far as publicly stating or advertising the use of carts as cars, graciegirl says “Part of the fun is driving a golf cart to the grocery, and to the dentist and doctors, and out to dinner and to the squares and to your friends home and to play golf and pickleball and swim, and bowl and .....well you get the picture.” Almost everyone says this about the use of golf carts in the Villages. Use them as cars.

Maybe I should never have used the word mandatory. So, lets back up a bit. If you could dream or make a wish for an upgrade to your cart that would make it safer for you to use on the intermodal roads, what would that be?

To make our golf cart operations safer should not be looked at as ridiculous. My look at this is very new and much less experience than most of you. So, I am relying on you to help me decide on the extra equipment that would be good to have to give me the best change of having an enjoyable and safe ride.

That is the point I was trying to make. Many people here have the means and the experience to do just that. There are more than fifty thousand carts here.

MANY people have been driving them for decades and thankfully have never experienced an accident.

It takes awhile to familiarize yourself with the cart paths...even with a gps. AND the ways of people...do not pull out in front of any cars. People can be so polite and endangering. Do not allow young people visiting to take the cart out by themselves. Get a speedometer, get a heater, get a urinal to fill with sand for divots, get a fan, get seatbelts, get an enclosure like a Curtis Cab, get some nice flames applied and your home team insignia, get some under lights and find a large dog to ride shotgun.

But drive one for awhile FIRST.

twoplanekid
03-05-2015, 12:30 PM
What are the current regulations?

According to 49 CFR 571.500 - Standard No. 500; Low-speed vehicles (Low speed vehicle means a 4-wheeled motor vehicle, whose speed attainable in 1 mile (1.6 km) is more than 20 miles per hour (32 kilometers per hour) and not more than 25 miles per hour) shall be equipped with:

8) A windshield that conforms to the Federal motor vehicle safety standard on glazing materials (49 CFR 571.205).

(9) A VIN that conforms to the requirements of part 565 Vehicle Identification Number of this chapter, and

(10) A Type 1 or Type 2 seat belt assembly conforming to Sec. 571.209 of this part, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 209, Seat belt assemblies,installed at each designated seating position.

So, any speed more than 20 requires 8, 9 and 10 for all vehicles.

I guess that is why when I called the Villages Golf Cars store today to rent a golf car with seat belts they stated that none of their rental cars have seat belts. If the speed regulations were set at 19, would they reduce the speed of the cars to 19 or just comply with 8-10?

graciegirl
03-05-2015, 01:00 PM
What percentage of carts have seatbelts in The Villages? Anyone want to hazard a guess? I know one person who has them.

twoplanekid
03-05-2015, 04:57 PM
I found this 2014 safety video released by officials in The Villages after a spike in golf cart crashes. The very first point that they make is to buckle up.

To have new Village Golf Car show rooms and service centers in Lake Sumter and Brownwood is great. But why don’t they rent golf carts equipped with seat belts and set a safety example for everyone?

Safety video released for golf cart drivers in The Villages | www.wftv.com (http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/safety-video-released-golf-cart-drivers-villages/nfQCp/)

DougB
03-05-2015, 05:05 PM

To make our golf cart operations safer should not be looked at as ridiculous.
My look at this is very new and much less experience than most of you. So, I am relying on you to help me decide on the extra equipment that would be good to have to give me the best change of having an enjoyable and safe ride.

Maybe you should just stick with a car as a mode of transportation?

Polar Bear
03-05-2015, 05:13 PM
I believe that, with seat belts and a modicum of common sense, driving a cart on the MMP's is at least as safe as driving a car on the road system.

dbussone
03-05-2015, 05:14 PM
I believe that, with seat belts and a modicum of common sense, driving a cart on the MMP's is at least as safe as driving a car on the road system.

That's a scary thought!

Shimpy
03-05-2015, 06:18 PM
Seat belts keep you in the cart if there is an accident. Remember we are driving an open vehicle and it wouldn't take much for you to exit it and land on your face on asphalt, especially the passenger who is not holding onto a steering wheel. It's not like a car with doors and being in a steel cage. Carts are known to turn over and dump the driver and passenger out if they are not belted in.

dbussone
03-05-2015, 06:21 PM
Seat belts keep you in the cart if there is an accident. Remember we are driving an open vehicle and it wouldn't take much for you to exit it and land on your face on asphalt, especially the passenger who is not holding onto a steering wheel. It's not like a car with doors and being in a steel cage. Carts are known to turn over and dump the driver and passenger out if they are not belted in.

I agree 100%. I had seat belts installed in our cart 2.5 years ago.. We use them religiously except on the golf course.

JoMar
03-05-2015, 09:33 PM
What percentage of carts have seatbelts in The Villages? Anyone want to hazard a guess? I know one person who has them.

My wife and I have them in both carts....now you know 2 more people that have them......lol

graciegirl
03-06-2015, 05:46 AM
My wife and I have them in both carts....now you know 2 more people that have them......lol

I am not trying to dissuade anyone from getting seat belts installed.

I just don't think that percentagewise there are many seatbelts in golfcarts here in The Villages.

You are a helpful and good person JoMar and your posts are always sensible and positive.

I think people should also be warned about driving too fast and making abrupt turns. That slowing down on curves if very important and most of all do not drink and drive ANYTHING......and save your money.

Whoops there for a minute I thought I was talking to my grandchildren...but then I would have added. Don't drink and have unprotected sex.

Challenger
03-06-2015, 06:44 AM

I also am a private pilot and would never fly until at least 12 hours after consumption of alcohol. No so with hundreds of cart and auto drivers in TV each day, and especially at night.
There is , among many of our residents, a culture of drinking and driving golf carts. See long lines at the drink shacks, and overflowing sidewalk cafes.
Virtually all of these folks jump into their cart or car to return home or go to the next drink site( in the dark)( with very bad and glaring head lights) Until more strigent ennforcement action is taken , the problem will grow worse. :22yikes:bbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Madelaine Amee
03-06-2015, 07:42 AM
I also am a private pilot and would never fly until at least 12 hours after consumption of alcohol. No so with hundreds of cart and auto drivers in TV each day, and especially at night.
There is , among many of our residents, a culture of drinking and driving golf carts. See long lines at the drink shacks, and overflowing sidewalk cafes.
Virtually all of these folks jump into their cart or car to return home or go to the next drink site( in the dark)( with very bad and glaring head lights) Until more stringent enforcement action is taken , the problem will grow worse. :22yikes:bbbbbbbbbbbbbb

Agree 100%. I think the majority of people think of them as toys.:22yikes: I also think "visitors" come to TV to have fun and a huge part of that fun is driving a golf cart, and being visitors to the area they have no idea how dangerous they are.

outlaw
03-06-2015, 09:10 AM
I'm guessing that the 14 golf cart accident fatalities involved an automobile or a curb. Seat belts and lower speed is about the only practical things one can do to improve those situations, IMHO. If you tangle with an automobile in a golf cart, you're going to lose. If you hit a curb and flip, a seat belt could increase your injuries. At my previous club, a woman died on the first hole when she drove to close to a bunker, causing the golf cart to turn over. The cart roof edge landed on her head, killing her instantly. This was a run of the mill 12 mph fleet golf cart. There are no guarantees, just like with motorcycles. Motorcycles are great fun....but very dangerous when mixed with automobiles. The OP is a pilot? I am too. I also ride a motorcycle, and drive my golf cart without seat belts. I also ride my bicycle among golf carts and automobiles. Everything has risks. We have enough mandates and laws. So many that every one of us breaks at least some law every day, probably. This is a community of 50,000 plus golf carts! Seems to me, the safety record for golf carts in The Villages is pretty good.

twoplanekid
03-06-2015, 09:11 AM
As I understand it, the developers are good, caring people who set the set the tone for many, many things in the Villages. If cart safety is an important issue that needs to be addressed, why not alert visitors, quests, current residents by advertising that their rental golf carts are now equipped with seat belts.

I understand the down side would be the cost to install seat belts and having to mention the subject of operating a fun vehicle safely might take some of the fun out of its use for some. For pilots, safety is always our issue #1. For everyone else, safety also should be a prime concern. If only one life is saved, it will have been worth the expense.

For an improvement in golf carts safety in the Villages, this would seem like a small, easy first step to take. Maybe this issue has already been discussed by the powers to be. If so, I wish they would revisit all safety concerns and reconsider installing seat belts in their rental golf carts. If you know them, please pass these thoughts along for their consideration.

graciegirl
03-06-2015, 09:15 AM
As I understand it, the developers are good, caring people who set the set the tone for many, many things in the Villages. If cart safety is an important issue that needs to be addressed, why not alert visitors, quests, current residents by advertising that their rental golf carts are now equipped with seat belts.

I understand the down side would be the cost to install seat belts and having to mention the subject of operating a fun vehicle safely might take some of the fun out of its use for some. For pilots, safety is always our issue #1. For everyone else, safety also should be a prime concern. If only one live is saved, it will have been worth the expense.

For an improvement in golf carts safety in the Villages, this would seem like a small, easy first step to take. Maybe this issue has already been discussed by the powers to be. If so, I wish they would revisit all safety concerns and reconsider installing seat belts in their rental golf carts. If you know them, please pass these thoughts along for their consideration.

We are so looking forward to your moving here and enjoying this wonderful place. This is kinda like giving advice about raising children before you have any.

twoplanekid
03-06-2015, 09:28 AM
We are so looking forward to your moving here and enjoying this wonderful place. This is kinda like giving advice about raising children before you have any.

I have a fine son who has two great sons thank you so much!

graciegirl
03-06-2015, 09:31 AM
I have a fine son who has two great sons thank you so much!

And I am sure that they are blessed to have you as a parent and you have raised them wisely and carefully and with the utmost caution.

My point is ...wait until you have lived here and driven a cart for six months before you try to change the system.

outlaw
03-06-2015, 09:36 AM
If seat belts in rentals were a deal breaker for many renters, there would be seat belts in rentals. Apparently, most renters don't see it as a priority.

twoplanekid
03-06-2015, 09:39 AM
Sometimes one who looks from the outside in has the advantage! I got your drift the first time. Maybe we all should stay on topic. The safety of cart use in the Villages should not be minimized. Everyone has a stake in it.

Most renters are not aware of the safety concerns of golf cart use. I wasn’t!

blueash
03-06-2015, 10:00 AM
Does the CDD as our local government have the legal authority to address safety on the multi modal paths? They have installed stop signs in tunnels, speed bumps, and some are going to stripe some paths. Can non-criminal enforcement be a part of our community rules? Have speed traps manned by trained radar operators. I am sure there are several former cops on the Watch. First offense warning, second offense inactivate their ID card for a month. Or even install radar in some of the Watch vehicles to document speed on the highways. Under what authority would the CDD pull over drivers? Perhaps they cannot. I don't believe there is any rule that says I must obey a Community watch employee. However they can certainly take my photo in a public place. And a CDD website with photos of speeders and speeding carts would get plenty of hits leading to ID of the driver in most cases.

In addressing safety three directions can be taken. Improve the product itself, improve the training of the user, and improve the environment in which the product is used.

Bobs GolfCart Speedometer
03-06-2015, 04:06 PM
Does anyone know anyone that has been stopped for speeding in a golf cart, and if they were prosecuted? With all the other stuff going on in TV I suspect golf carts going a few miles over the speed limit is not high on their list. At least based on the number of carts that pass me while I'm doing 19.7MPH.

I install speedometers on golf carts and have installed four during the past year for Villagers who have been ticketed for driving their carts above 20MPH.

They report the fine is $340.00 and they had to make a court appearance to pay it.

JoMar
03-06-2015, 04:57 PM
I install speedometers on golf carts and have installed four during the past year for Villagers who have been ticketed for driving their carts above 20MPH.

They report the fine is $340.00 and they had to make a court appearance to pay it.

Thanks

outlaw
03-06-2015, 05:12 PM
Sometimes one who looks from the outside in has the advantage! I got your drift the first time. Maybe we all should stay on topic. The safety of cart use in the Villages should not be minimized. Everyone has a stake in it.

Most renters are not aware of the safety concerns of golf cart use. I wasn’t!

Sometimes those looking from the outside in don't understand the issue.

twoplanekid
03-06-2015, 06:35 PM
Tu shay. Now, do you believe that seat belts should be made available on rental carts as an option (not required equipment)? If the cart safety video stresses wearing seat belts and other believe it is a good thing, then why not make them available on rental carts?

graciegirl
03-06-2015, 06:43 PM
Tu shay. Now, do you believe that seat belts should be made available on rental carts as an option (not required equipment)? If the cart safety video stresses wearing seat belts and other believe it is a good thing, then why not make them available on rental carts?

If you put the words "seat belts in golf carts" in the search option above you will find more than fifty threads on the subject. This one from 2008 is a typical one.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/golf-cart-seat-belts-question-12115/

twoplanekid
03-06-2015, 08:30 PM
If you put the words "seat belts in golf carts" in the search option above you will find more than fifty threads on the subject. This one from 2008 is a typical one.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/golf-cart-seat-belts-question-12115/

Thanks for the reference. And this from 2008 ->"

My suggestion: All three counties need to address this issue at once. Not in 6 months or a year from now. NOW! They need to come to an agreement on standard for golf carts (NOT LSV) and enforce them. They need to step up the process of giving out tickets and stop warning people about running stop signs, passing on solid white lines, breaking the speed limit (doing 30mph in a cart or better) and driving after doing the 2 for 1'ers. These are grave issues and are not being dealt with on an every day bases.
I also believe that this community should have a cart registration where by each cart is registered so that if someone is causing problems there is a way to identify that person and their cart. Right now there is no such way without taking the law into your own hands and confronting the person about the issue. That is not a good idea either. Some thoughts on these issues would be interesting too"

So, how can we make some/any changes before 2022. By then, I will have been a full timer for over six years and maybe can be a part of the group.

obxgal
03-06-2015, 10:19 PM
///

The Great Fumar
03-06-2015, 11:14 PM
I would like to add something to this conversation ....I have added seat belts. crash pads. air bags. roll over bars. safety glass , wing tip strobe lights . ejection seats and now my cart will only go 4 miles per hour ....My worry is getting hit from behind....I hate mandatory also I don't like Geo. Orwell and Ralph Nader ........

Living safely in Chatham.....Fumar

graciegirl
03-07-2015, 07:53 AM
IF your cart tipped sideways, would it be safer to be strapped in and fall sideways on to an object and have the whole weight of the cart hold you against that object or to be hit by it and pushed away? Think of those cemented in posts that are everywhere.

Would it be safer with no sides to be held immovable when something is coming toward you?

It would definitely be safer to not be thrown for sure.

When we moved here eight years ago we were being told to not install seat belts in golf carts by LEO's etc..

Read #10 post of the link I posted above.

I think that you should buy a cart and have seat belts installed .

And I hope and pray that you will never be hurt no matter what ever happens.

I think your attitude to make things more safe is kind and good and caring and community spirited.

Were you BORN in Ohio?

tuccillo
03-07-2015, 08:30 AM
You can always construct scenarios where seat belts may be a benefit and may not be a benefit. Ideally, the decision of whether to use seat belts would be made based on the more likely scenarios. I would argue that running into a lake and drowning or being attacked by gators, while certainly possible, is probably one of the less likely scenarios based on the fact that much less area in The Villages is covered by water than dry land.

I did find one study where seat belts would be of benefit to children who can be ejected from a golf cart when making a left hand turn because the hip restraints are not as effective for small bodies. Regardless of body size, there appears to be enough anecdotal evidence that ejections from golf carts can lead to serious injury although I am sure you can find instances where being injected was better than being secured in the golf cart. Again, you would want to play the odds. We don't have seat belts but it is becoming apparent that we need to rethink that position. For me, the only real choice is whether I play the odds that in the event of an accident it is probably better to be wearing seat belts. I suspect you actually also want shoulder restraints, as in cars.

Lets say my golf cart veers of the road and into one of the many ponds, and I can't get the seat belt off, my 2 choices .. drown or get eatin by the gators. I have a fear of both, so you can keep you seat belts, I'll take my chances, thank you. You don't have any right to take my choices away.

CFrance
03-07-2015, 08:32 AM
Get seat belts! It will be your decision, not some government mandate, and you will be safer. Go to the POA web site and read up on golf cart safety/accidents. Property Owners, Association of Florida (http://www.poa4us.org/) Here's a search from there FreeFind Site Search Results (http://search.freefind.com/find.html?si=47945576&pid=r&n=0&_charset_=UTF-8&bcd=%C3%B7&query=golf+cart+safety) They are the ones who have been challenging the police to catalog the golf cart accidents and point up the safety factor of wearing seat belts. The rental companies do not put seat belts in their carts. It's not mandatory, so they don't go to that expense.

I must be honest: We don't have a golf cart. Our decision. We don't play golf. We have ridden in them and not enjoyed the experience. Plus they're cold in the winter and hot in the summer, and the gas ones smell. But we are definitely in the minority. If we had one, it would have seat belts, turn signals that make noise so you realize they're still on, and headlights that are properly aligned so they don't shine up into someone's face in an oncoming vehicle. And a horn.

graciegirl
03-07-2015, 08:50 AM
More past discussions.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/any-chance-golf-carts-could-banned-48501/index2.html

In our house, Sweetie thinks seat belts are safer and I am NOT SURE.

But some of the people that I completely respect on this forum think seat belts are safer. I may soon have them installed. And if I am held against an impaling object and killed, I will haunt you.

Worse than now.

CFrance
03-07-2015, 08:59 AM
More past discussions.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/any-chance-golf-carts-could-banned-48501/index2.html

In our house, Sweetie thinks seat belts are safer and I am NOT SURE.

But some of the people that I completely respect on this forum think seat belts are safer. I may soon have them installed. And if I am held against an impaling object and killed, I will haunt you.

Worse than now.
If you are thrown out of a golf cart and killed, I will miss you forever!:cryin2:

Packer Fan
03-07-2015, 09:46 AM
A couple "quick" comments: I have had seat belts installed and use them without exception except when I'm golfing. I simply feel safer. I also have had "liquid lights" installed which makes my cart very visible both during the day and at night. If anyone cannot see me with all my lights then they shouldn't be driving. Having said that, I always drive very defensively and assume that anyone near me, whether in a car, on a bike on in another golf cart is possible danger. "Watch out"!!! and "beware" is my motto.

That is an exact description of how I drive my Harley Good advice :clap2:

twoplanekid
03-10-2015, 01:08 PM
For those who would like to view golf cart accidents during 2011-2014 as presented to District 10 in February click on (Coversheet) and download/open the VPSD Attachments pdf

Coversheet (http://district.novusagenda.com/AgendaPublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=2335&MeetingID=311)

twoplanekid
04-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Does anyone have any information on the golf cart accident that occurred on Hillsborough near the Dunedin pool around 6:45 this evening? The cart was on its side in the middle of the street with people lying in the street.

graciegirl
04-03-2015, 02:03 AM
[///

l2ridehd
04-03-2015, 04:36 AM
The very last thing we need is more Mandatory rules and regulations. We already have more then enough. More rules require more people to check the rules, more police to enforce the rules, and more taxes to pay for them.

If you personally want more safety items just get them. I have seat belts and use them, but I certainly don't want to force every one to use them. I would like windshield wipers but have found that a rain-x type polish on the windshield works well. I will add liquid lights to improve visibility at some point. And I replaced the mirrors to provide better rear view visibility.

All things you can do if you chose to do so. Just add those items you want, drive defensively as everyone should, and you will be much safer than if there were a lot of mandatory rules in place that everyone was finding a way to avoid.

And I to am a pilot and have flown 50 different planes from Aronca Chiefs to F-111's. I to ride motorcycles, from 50cc dirt bikes to my current Harley Road King. Safety is important to me and for everyone else. But please make your own choices and not force them on everyone else.

graciegirl
04-03-2015, 07:18 AM
The very last thing we need is more Mandatory rules and regulations. We already have more then enough. More rules require more people to check the rules, more police to enforce the rules, and more taxes to pay for them.

If you personally want more safety items just get them. I have seat belts and use them, but I certainly don't want to force every one to use them. I would like windshield wipers but have found that a rain-x type polish on the windshield works well. I will add liquid lights to improve visibility at some point. And I replaced the mirrors to provide better rear view visibility.

All things you can do if you chose to do so. Just add those items you want, drive defensively as everyone should, and you will be much safer than if there were a lot of mandatory rules in place that everyone was finding a way to avoid.

And I to am a pilot and have flown 50 different planes from Aronca Chiefs to F-111's. I to ride motorcycles, from 50cc dirt bikes to my current Harley Road King. Safety is important to me and for everyone else. But please make your own choices and not force them on everyone else.

Every time this man posts I applaud. He is one of the smartest people I have ever met. He married a terrific girl too. So glad they live here with all of us in lower Paradise.

skip0358
04-03-2015, 07:45 AM
Talk about safety is a joke. Yea seat belts may be a great idea along with extra headlights for night time driving, extra brake lights on your canopy. What about the golf towels hanging off the back of the golf carts covering the brake and directional signals? What about the 10 MPH speed limit over the LS Bridge? Or the other day when some jerk actually passed someone on that same bridge? Safety is a great thing don't get me wrong but common sense should come first. We don't need government involvement. There was also a debate awhile back where two law enforcement officers had opposing views on the worthiness of seat belts on golf carts. So it should be a personal decision. Here's a thought have the insurance company offer a discount IF you have seatbelts in your GC money talks. OK I'm done.

Walter123
04-04-2015, 07:40 AM

Since most injuries are caused by ejection from the cart, seat belts are the best thing you can install for safety reasons, especially for the passenger because they might not know that you are going to make a sharp left.

spring_chicken
04-04-2015, 07:44 AM
Just an FYI. Not everyone who passes you is passing you because they're in a hurry, you're going too slow...
I pass people all the time because I don't like riding behind the stink and noise of their gas cart.

graciegirl
04-04-2015, 07:51 AM
Just an FYI. Not everyone who passes you is passing you because they're in a hurry, you're going to slow...
I pass people all the time because I don't like riding behind the stink and noise of their gas cart.

OH.

Saw a sign at the Yamaha Store that said...Let's beat Electric.

And one at the Par Car Store that said;

Let's Pass Gas.

spring_chicken
04-04-2015, 08:26 AM
OH.

Let's Pass Gas.

:a20:

I see a new bumper sticker in my future.

JoMar
04-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Lets say my golf cart veers of the road and into one of the many ponds, and I can't get the seat belt off, my 2 choices .. drown or get eatin by the gators. I have a fear of both, so you can keep you seat belts, I'll take my chances, thank you. You don't have any right to take my choices away.

Haven't heard of any golf cart veering off the road without some help from the operator. If you have a fear of losing control of your cart maybe you should consider riding with someone or taking a car. As for taking away your choices I assume you make no judgments on the choices others make.....which makes you very unique.

JoMar
04-04-2015, 09:10 AM
OH.

Let's Pass Gas.

And since there is no way to get a Par Car to go faster than 20 (except street legal) passing gas is very hard to do (not withstanding baked beans for lunch by the driver).

Challenger
04-04-2015, 09:23 AM

Can anyone cite a documented case of someone being killed or severely inured because they could not get out of a seat belt? Not anecdotes , heresay, and rumors, just facts.

Some die because they can not get out of a vehicle after a crash, but I have never heard of an accident where the seatbely was the culprit.

Seatbelts have been documented to be the saving grace in millions of cases wher they have prevented or minimized injury.

jpvillager
04-05-2015, 08:33 AM
For safety: seat belts and LED lights. Been here 7 years. Personally came across a small child strapped in a car seat that had fallen out of the cart, someone ran straight into a tree and my wife asleep in the passenger seat. In the tree crash the seat broke loose because it is only screwed into fiberglass. LED lights to be seen. Hopefully, the more visible you are the better your chances of not being run into.

tomwed
04-05-2015, 09:42 AM
read this story (http://articles.philly.com/2009-08-12/news/25275903_1_cart-td-bank-rebecca-acevedo)

He was a student of mine when he was in high school a long time ago. I was the golf coach and this was our home course at one time, so I knew management. Management told me there was no drinking involved. It was a freak accident where the cart veered left and he fell out and landed on his head. Those carts only went 12 mph.

He shouldn't have reached for his phone.

Frank7
04-05-2015, 01:39 PM
As some manufactures such as Par Car & Tombelin refer to them as "Personal Transport Vehicales" it important to note that the type of use other than playing golf the use on our
Roadways next to Automobiles should have the accessories as close to an auto as possible.
Items for safty such as lighting, mirrors, seat belts, reflectors, turn signals,horn are the most common.
Keeping the vehicle machanically sound with good brakes, tires and good headlights is always a good practice with any vehicle.

Shimpy
04-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Lets say my golf cart veers of the road and into one of the many ponds, and I can't get the seat belt off, my 2 choices .. drown or get eatin by the gators. .

Going into the water with all the lakes and canals (S. Florida) was the same excuse heard when the seatbelt law was put into place in Florida for autos. The seatbelt law has never killed anyone to my knowledge but saved thousands.
As far as being eaten by an alligator when going into the water, that is about as likely as an accurate long range weather forecast. Probably never happened.

CFrance
04-05-2015, 06:20 PM
Going into the water with all the lakes and canals (S. Florida) was the same excuse heard when the seatbelt law was put into place in Florida for autos. The seatbelt law has never killed anyone to my knowledge but saved thousands.
As far as being eaten by an alligator when going into the water, that is about as likely as an accurate long range weather forecast. Probably never happened.
Being trapped in the car and drowning/burning/whatever is the classic argument for not wearing a seat belt espoused by a certain age group (my mother comes to mind, who would have been 100 last month) and still given by a relatively few people today. It has been thoroughly statistically disproven. Buckle up!

JP
04-05-2015, 07:21 PM
I've been working on my golf cart to turn it into a time machine so I can travel in other dimensions without seat belts.

twoplanekid
04-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Sally Moss, a Supervisor for District 6 submitted her thoughts concerning safety on the Multi-Modal paths at the District 6 meeting on April 17, 2015. One thing she said was “The Districts can do something that has been proven to reduce accidents and make driving safer for all drivers, passengers and everyone else that is on the Multi-Modal Path with them and that is reduce the speed on the Multi-Modal Paths to 15 mph which is the top speed of golf cart models off the assembly line.”

For a complete text of what she said, please follow this link to download and read the PDF of the 04/17/15 VCDD 6 meeting found on the districtgov web site. Her comments are found towards the end of the pdf.

VCDD Meetings/Agendas (http://www.districtgov.org/yourdistrict/meetings.aspx?district=6)

DonH57
04-20-2015, 08:50 PM
I've been working on my golf cart to turn it into a time machine so I can travel in other dimensions without seat belts.

Even with a flux capacitor I doubt you could get the cart to 88 mph. A transporter is the only answer.:ho:

ajbrown
04-21-2015, 06:29 AM
Sally Moss, a Supervisor for District 6 submitted her thoughts concerning safety on the Multi-Modal paths at the District 6 meeting on April 17, 2015. One thing she said was “The Districts can do something that has been proven to reduce accidents and make driving safer for all drivers, passengers and everyone else that is on the Multi-Modal Path with them and that is reduce the speed on the Multi-Modal Paths to 15 mph which is the top speed of golf cart models off the assembly line.”

For a complete text of what she said, please follow this link to download and read the PDF of the 04/17/15 VCDD 6 meeting found on the districtgov web site. Her comments are found towards the end of the pdf.

VCDD Meetings/Agendas (http://www.districtgov.org/yourdistrict/meetings.aspx?district=6)

Thanks for sharing, I never would have seen this.

To save folks a minute or two looking for it, here is a direct link http://district.novusagenda.com/AgendaPublic/AttachmentViewer.ashx?AttachmentID=4307&ItemID=3336

CFrance
04-21-2015, 07:42 AM

Her suggestion to lower the speed limits on the MM paths sounds like a step in the right direction. However, from her statements, it does appear (at least to me) like she is against striping/improving the driver's visibility on the MM paths by shifting the blame over to the drivers. I'm glad the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration doesn't feel the same way about the roads we drive our cars on. Of course there will be distracted drivers anywhere, but their tack is to take away as much of what can contribute to an accident as possible so that there is very little left except driver distraction.

Improving vision on the MM paths has been shown to be a veery slight financial burden. I do not understand why anyone is fighting it.

villages07
04-21-2015, 09:22 AM
I hope the 15 mph limit idea never gets legs. Golf cart safety, like most things, comes down to personal responsibility. There is nothing wrong with 20 mph and I venture to guess that golf cart accident rate here (accidents per xxx miles) is pretty low. If golf cart speeds are limited to 15, many folks will opt to use their cars for longer trips thus putting more cars in the road and likely increasing the auto accident rate. Leave well enough alone.

DonH57
04-21-2015, 09:29 AM
I hope the 15 mph limit idea never gets legs. Golf cart safety, like most things, comes down to personal responsibility. There is nothing wrong with 20 mph and I venture to guess that golf cart accident rate here (accidents per xxx miles) is pretty low. If golf cart speeds are limited to 15, many folks will opt to use their cars for longer trips thus putting more cars in the road and likely increasing the auto accident rate. Leave well enough alone.

I agree. There's nothing wrong with the existing 20 limit now. It's the foolish and irresponsible that just don't care they are putting others at risk. If it was lowered it will be greatly enforced as the 20 is now. The only thing that will slow down the souped up carts will be when the owners are hit in the wallet. An unfortunate truth.

CFrance
04-21-2015, 09:36 AM
I get your points, but I still see the value of striping the paths to increase visibility. The District 6 supervisor seemed to be trying to lead the conversation elsewhere.

graciegirl
04-21-2015, 09:44 AM

I agree with you villages07. I can't remember ANYTHING I haven't agreed with you about since I first arrived..

Further, I say, if you make the speed limit 15, I betcha it will be ignored. It feels like you are crawling across the Morse Bridge at ten MPH. But I do it because it is safer to do it.

golf2140
04-21-2015, 09:55 AM
Golf cart safety. Can someone tell me the number of accident that happen on the paths. I would suspect not many. Another point, the Villages Golf Cart repair will not work on a cart that goes over the max speed.

We all moved here to enjoy life, let's not start putting another set of rules on us.

CFrance
04-21-2015, 10:07 AM
The golf cart drivers will speed if they want. I personally am not telling a golf cart driver what to do or not to do. I feel that making the paths safer with adequate markings should trump some district supervisor's admonishments about people acting responsibly. I imagine the majority do, and the rest, well... they're going to drive like they want. Why not make the "roads" safer for everyone?

Look how much safer our highways are now, and how the death rate from auto accidents has declined. I've driven (in a car) down unmarked back roads at night in the rain. We've driven down a mountain at 5:00 am in the fog to catch a plane. I get the point about striping the paths for better visibility.

graciegirl
04-21-2015, 10:12 AM
The golf cart drivers will speed if they want. I personally am not telling a golf cart driver what to do or not to do. I feel that making the paths safer with adequate markings should trump some district supervisor's admonishments about people acting responsibly. I imagine the majority do, and the rest, well... they're going to drive like they want. Why not make the "roads" safer for everyone?

Look how much safer our highways are now, and how the death rate from auto accidents has declined. I've driven (in a car) down unmarked back roads at night in the rain. We've driven down a mountain at 5:00 am in the fog to catch a plane. I get the point about striping the paths for better visibility.

You are very right. I just wish people wouldn't drive under the influence, cars or carts.

I didn't direct my remarks toward you C. I am sorry. I don't want another person to die, or to be seriously injured in a golf cart accident, but I do think twenty miles an hour is an o.k. speed. I don't know if the OP has a golf cart yet but I wish him to be safe.

CFrance
04-21-2015, 10:15 AM
You are very right. I just wish people wouldn't drive under the influence.

I didn't direct my remarks toward you C. I am sorry. I don't want another person to die, or to be seriously injured in a golf cart accident.
Me neither,GG. And I agree with you about the drunk driving. There are many factors involved in accidents, and that is probably the worst.

Barefoot
04-21-2015, 10:36 AM

:agree: Leave well enough alone. Most people don't observe a speed limit of 20 MPH, why would they observe 15 MPH?
At 20 MPH we are constantly being passed (not because of fumes, we drive electric).

JoMar
04-21-2015, 10:59 AM
Safety is about the driver, the driver and the driver. Since there is no enforcement of speed why is it even discussed? Striping won't help, drivers will drive the way they always drive.....IMO, until we address the root cause (driver) and there is some kind of enforcement (which will never happen) most of the proposed band aids are a waste of time and money.

twoplanekid
04-21-2015, 12:06 PM
Some more discussion of the multi-modal path by a Supervisor Knoll in January found in the VCDD 5 Meeting 4/17/15 notes on the district gov web site
Supervisor Knoll stated “Yeah, I, Mr. Chairman, when I saw it was on the agenda I took a ride
up to District 4 on my golf cart and did some multi-modal path cruising and I noticed first of all there’s a
difference in terms of the paths on the north side of 466 versus the south side in certain areas where
they’re paths are much narrower because of restrictions; such as if you look at the entrance to Belle Aire
off of Buena Vista, is one indication and there are others, the path is forced to be narrower just because
of existing walls and other things that are in place so it can cause some problems because it is my
understand that multi-modal paths are just that, they’re there for golf carts, they’re there for bicycles,
pedestrians, joggers, walkers, I happened to be a bicyclist, not of Lance Armstrong’s quality I can assure
you but a bicyclist nonetheless and it seems to me that the introduction of striping adds certain
conditions that may cause us problems in the future. The speed limit on these things is basically the
speed limit of a golf cart, 20 miles per hour, I know I don’t do 20 in my bicycle and most walkers and
joggers and even some accomplished aren’t at that speed, even some of the golf carts aren’t of that
speed. If you insert, say a dash line as I saw in District 4 it suggests that golf carts cannot only go
around bicyclists and pedestrians, which they probably will want to, but they can also go around slower
moving golf carts and exceed that 20 mile per hour speed limit to do so and I don’t think that, they’re
VCDD No. 5 - Meeting Minutes
January 16, 2015
Page 7
not supposed to do. The other thing that I noticed, and I noticed in our District is most of the side
streets, and I’m not referring to Belvedere or Churchill because they are striped, but all of the other
streets are not and I don’t want to get to the point where I’m treating a multi-modal path like a road by
striping it and putting in all sorts of conditions. I think the installation of certain reflective markers that
we already have in place at curves and so forth have provided the necessary safety and suggestions to
golf cart operators that this is where you have to stay. The other thing I like about the raised markers is
if somebody and unfortunately there are many people who have some sight restrictions, the markers give
them a, literally a physical notice that they have drifted over the line because you get a thump, thump,
thump when you drive over it, where on stripe not necessarily so. So I guess given that and the time, I
spent a fair amount of time reflecting on the topic once your brought it up and taking a look in District 4,
it’s my view that we would be better off not striping the multi-modal paths.

and there is more to read if you go to the site

Shimpy
04-21-2015, 04:19 PM
One thing she said was “The Districts can do something that has been proven to reduce accidents and make driving safer for all drivers, passengers and everyone else that is on the Multi-Modal Path with them and that is reduce the speed on the Multi-Modal Paths to 15 mph which is the top speed of golf cart models off the assembly line.”

Very few golf carts have speedometers so how can someone estimate their speed? Who is going to enforce it? Is it a solution to a problem we don't have? I've never seen an accident with golf carts but know they exist but with 55,000 golf carts here there are bound to be some.

Mleeja
04-21-2015, 07:48 PM
Very few golf carts have speedometers so how can someone estimate their speed? Who is going to enforce it? Is it a solution to a problem we don't have? I've never seen an accident with golf carts but know they exist but with 55,000 golf carts here there are bound to be some.

Speeometers are a very non expensive option for a golf cart. In addition there are several free speedometer apps for the iPhone which are very accurate. Heck, even my golf buddie has a speedometer... No reason for someone driving a cart to not know how fast they are going.

DonH57
04-21-2015, 07:59 PM
The cost of putting a speedometer on a cart is a lot cheaper than a " unregistered vehicle" ticket but that's only gonna happen on a public street if it's being watched by the police.

Mleeja
04-21-2015, 08:27 PM
The cost of putting a speedometer on a cart is a lot cheaper than a " unregistered vehicle" ticket but that's only gonna happen on a public street if it's being watched by the police.

I agree, is MUCH less! Speeding down Morris Blvd north of 466 is just asking for an unregistered vehicle citation. A. Get a speedometer B. Do not speed even if your buggie goes faster than 20 mph!

Happydaz
04-24-2015, 07:59 PM

More accidents occur than most people think. The February 2014 Property Owners Bulletin (POA) reported that there were 12 golf cart fatalities in the last six years. Most fell out and hit their heads on the pavement. 22 occupants during that time period were so seriously injured when they were ejected from their vehicles that they had to be trauma alerted to trauma hospital centers in Ocala and Orlando. They are only listing fatalities and serious injuries here, but there were also other less serious accidents as well. Be careful out there!

twoplanekid
05-16-2015, 08:12 PM
Maybe I should not have purchased that used ParCar with the large tires.

Please read what Chairperson Moss has to say in comments Part 2
Coversheet (http://district.novusagenda.com/AgendaPublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=3853&MeetingID=279)

ajbrown
05-17-2015, 06:53 AM
Maybe I should not have purchased that used ParCar with the large tires.

Please read what Chairperson Moss has to say in comments Part 2
Coversheet (http://district.novusagenda.com/AgendaPublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=3853&MeetingID=279)

I suspect she is talking about carts like mine where the factory installed cart has 8" wheels and I installed 10" wheels. I did not do that for speed.

The Par Car was 'likely' built by factory with large wheels and speed should be set at 20.

She mistakenly ties the speed of a cart to the tire size, missing the fact that most 'sped' up carts have a larger motor or have had gears replaced.

It scares me she suggests regulating tire size beyond what is done for the golf course and the impact that will have on cart owners. I fully support more enforcement wherever possible, even considering how they could extend that to MM paths.

DonH57
05-17-2015, 08:33 AM
It's the people who've modified their carts governor or speed controller so they lead foot it on the paths, not tire size. Did she do any research or grab her speculations out of the air? The only problem I've had with speeding golf carts are the ones that pass you on a blind curve without regard to what's ahead.

graciegirl
05-17-2015, 09:40 AM
''''

DonH57
05-17-2015, 10:28 AM
Actually Gracie I never think of myself as the sharpest knife in the drawer and I try my best never to call other people stupid. I 'm concerned about where she got the information about the larger tires. At most you might achieve a one mph out of larger tires. It's the tinkering of the carts that's the problem.

twoplanekid
05-17-2015, 12:41 PM
It's the people who've modified their carts governor or speed controller so they lead foot it on the paths, not tire size. Did she do any research or grab her speculations out of the air? The only problem I've had with speeding golf carts are the ones that pass you on a blind curve without regard to what's ahead.

Some of the attachments at the bottom of the PDF in comments - part 2
list her sources. Please read everything.

DonH57
05-17-2015, 01:09 PM
Actually I did read everything. If I increase the size of my tires I would still have to change governor or speed control setting to prevent my cart from slowing back down. True I would get a very temporary speed gain but not long. I believe if every one were made to have 8 inch tires it wouldn't solve the problem and would be just as enforceable as speeding on the paths now. I hope I didn't convey the lady was stupid. She clearly isn't or she wouldn't be on the board. The biggest problem is the clowns treating the golf carts as toys.

graciegirl
05-17-2015, 02:01 PM

Sally Moss again

Chi-Town
05-17-2015, 02:42 PM
My house came with a Par Car. It went 17.5 mph. Had a cart guy servuce it and asked him to jack up the speed as I was always leading the parade. He said that was the flat out speed due to the motor size. He gave me two options, new motor or 10 inch tires on the back. Changed the back tires from 8 to 10 inch and increased my speed by 2 mph. That was over two years ago and am still zipping along.

DonH57
05-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Changing the golf cart speed limit to 15 mph won't fix stupid. Trying not to be political but changing the speed limit would be like adding gun laws to existing laws that are not enforced to keep people from shooting each other. There is nothing wrong with the existing cart speed limit now. I personally feel education is the biggest problem. The only briefing for new residents in regard to navigating the villages is not a mandatory one. Ignorance is no excuse but it's happening.

twoplanekid
06-27-2015, 08:05 PM
Well, here it is and you get what you pay for. As the study does not address the current or future numbers of golf carts, walkers, joggers, bicyclists, Segway users, or roller bladders, there certainly was no need to factor in the lower use of these pathways during summer months to adjust this analysis.

As The Villages grows, the existing multi-modal roads will incur greater use and more chances for accidents. Where is the forward thinking?

I wanted to see traffic counts and speed data. I thought that some data was to be collected? The VPSD accident data collected to date is very limited in scope and thus not too useful in developing safety solutions for current and future increased use on the multi-modal paths.

This new study is very, very limited in scope. I am not impressed and must hope for the best. I know that you must drive defensively and nothing should change and remember that fate is the hunter.

http://www.**************.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/MultiUse-Trail-Marking.pdf?f3185a

Sorry, my link will not work as it goes to that other news web site. It should be up on districtgov soon I hope

Vinny
06-28-2015, 12:12 PM
I just sold my golf cart. I do not golf and my car is much safer and more comfortable to get around in. We put very little mileage on it for what we do.

We had seatbelts and they once prevented my wife from flying out of the cart when I hit a curb during turn. I think they should be mandatory given all the reports of people being thrown from their carts during accidents. I still see people driving carts with little kids on their laps or dogs on the empty seat next to them. I have seen a cart with a young man standing on the rear well where the golf bag goes. There still seems to be an attitude that golf carts are not real vehicles and safer than cars even though they go 20 mph.

graciegirl
06-28-2015, 12:41 PM
Changing the golf cart speed limit to 15 mph won't fix stupid. Trying not to be political but changing the speed limit would be like adding gun laws to existing laws that are not enforced to keep people from shooting each other. There is nothing wrong with the existing cart speed limit now. I personally feel education is the biggest problem. The only briefing for new residents in regard to navigating the villages is not a mandatory one. Ignorance is no excuse but it's happening.

Common sense and being careful at all times and not drinking and driving will help. I doubt lines are going to do it. And no one says you have to drive a golf cart if you are not comfortable doing so. More rules and regulations will not fix stupid driving.

twoplanekid
06-28-2015, 06:35 PM
Safety should always be a concern when using machinery. The Villages is unique in that no other place in the world has as many golf carts being used as cars. Thus, we must take the initiative to insure the safe operation of our traveling machines. We can’t look to others as no one else is like us in this regard.

It’s time to gather the necessary data to assess Village golf cart safety. A rational analysis of this Village phenomenon may lead to changes that will increase safety for all. To suggest doing nothing will result in a delay of finding a solution.

I find it interesting that a community that has more rules on the books for what is allowed or not as far as looks is so adverse to changes that might increase safety.

So, please try to rethink your attitude to an extensive study of golf cart safety in The Villages. We can argue about what changes might be requested at a later time.

twoplanekid
09-01-2015, 06:49 PM
Another look at the future maybe sooner than you think->

Self-driving golf carts share sidewalk space with pedestrians (http://phys.org/news/2015-09-self-driving-golf-carts-sidewalk-space.html)

biker1
09-01-2015, 07:20 PM
This is a pretty broad statement. Exactly what data are you suggesting be gathered, who should collect the data, who should pay for the data collection, and who should analyze it? I remain unconvinced that there is a problem. There are golf cart accidents but there are also car accidents. Almost all can be attributed to driver error. You can not analyze away human error and you cannot analyze away poor judgement and poor choices.

Safety should always be a concern when using machinery. The Villages is unique in that no other place in the world has as many golf carts being used as cars. Thus, we must take the initiative to insure the safe operation of our traveling machines. We can’t look to others as no one else is like us in this regard.

It’s time to gather the necessary data to assess Village golf cart safety. A rational analysis of this Village phenomenon may lead to changes that will increase safety for all. To suggest doing nothing will result in a delay of finding a solution.

I find it interesting that a community that has more rules on the books for what is allowed or not as far as looks is so adverse to changes that might increase safety.

So, please try to rethink your attitude to an extensive study of golf cart safety in The Villages. We can argue about what changes might be requested at a later time.

twoplanekid
09-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Is driver error caused by speeding or other factors? As an example, are golf cart drivers speeding on the multi-modal trails and how busy are some sections of these trails? I don’t believe anyone can say for sure because a traffic/ speed count hasn’t been taken. It would not cost the SLCDD or PWAC that much to collect this kind of data.

Golf cart accident data collection should be as comprehensive as car accident analysis to help present a clearer picture as to the cause of these accidents. I would suggest doing these things as a start until we have self-driving golf carts. :icon_wink:

graciegirl
09-01-2015, 08:33 PM
Is driver error caused by speeding or other factors? As an example, are golf cart drivers speeding on the multi-modal trails and how busy are some sections of these trails? I don’t believe anyone can say for sure because a traffic/ speed count hasn’t been taken. It would not cost the SLCDD or PWAC that much to collect this kind of data.

Golf cart accident data collection should be as comprehensive as car accident analysis to help present a clearer picture as to the cause of these accidents. I would suggest doing these things as a start until we have self-driving golf carts. :icon_wink:

Once you have a few hundred hours under your belt driving a golf cart than people will listen more carefully to what you have to say. Many of us have been driving around here for upwards of a dozen years and have had nothing bad happen. I think anyone can tell you that drinking and driving does not mix and driving with a vision problem is chancy too. Perhaps we should all have our reaction time tested, but I don't think that will be a popular solution.

You haven't had a chance yet to drive a cart for more than a month...allow your own self to have some experience before you try to make changes to the system.

twoplanekid
09-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Hi gracie :welcome:

dbussone
09-01-2015, 09:04 PM
Hi gracie :welcome:

///

biker1
09-01-2015, 09:24 PM
What exactly is the problem you are looking to solve?

twoplanekid
09-02-2015, 07:09 AM
What exactly is the problem you are looking to solve?

In reading comments from afar, I noticed supervisors, other elected officials and village people commenting on golf cart speeding and the need to address this issue. Yet, I have not found any data that has been collected to conclude that speeding is taking place. So, why not collect the data to help determine if there is a lot of speeding on the multi-modal paths? If a significant number of carts are speeding, then do what is necessary to slow down the flow. Notice, I am not making suggestions on how to solve this potential problem as I am a newbie.

jpvillager
09-02-2015, 07:26 AM
My reasons for seat belts. Caught my wife sleeping in the passenger seat w/o a belt, if passenger is leaning forward and driver makes a quick left turn the passenger may fall out and I came accost a golf cart that had run head on into a tree. The seat broke loose and the driver had to be transported to the hospital.

biker1
09-02-2015, 07:31 AM
Yes, there is a lot of speeding by golf carts. There is also a lot of speeding by cars on the roads. I think it is safe to say there are a lot of people driving 20-24 mph on the MMPs. Is this a problem? Presumably the real issue is golf cart accidents. The issue with golf cart accidents is a lack of attention at intersections, blind curves, and parking lots. I don't believe we need any studies. People just need to drive their carts in a cautious manner and pay attention at those points where they can come in contact with other carts and cars. This is essentially the same issue with cars. A certain percentage of the population will drive recklessly no matter what.

In reading comments from afar, I noticed supervisors, other elected officials and village people commenting on golf cart speeding and the need to address this issue. Yet, I have not found any data that has been collected to conclude that speeding is taking place. So, why not collect the data to help determine if there is a lot of speeding on the multi-modal paths? If a significant number of carts are speeding, then do what is necessary to slow down the flow. Notice, I am not making suggestions on how to solve this potential problem as I am a newbie.

Challenger
09-02-2015, 07:48 AM

There is absolutely no need to run a study to determine if people are speeding in carts.They definitely are. Just ride on any path on any day at the speedlimit and you will be passed numerous times.

The real question - is speeding a significant contributor to accidents ? From most of what we read the problem is mainly pilot error for issues other than speed.

twoplanekid
09-02-2015, 08:27 AM
So, there are a significant number of law breakers, speeders in the Villages? As the speed limit is 20 M.P.H. on the multi-modal paths, Village officials must then address the enforcement of this law or just overlook this one crazy, inconsequential law?

graciegirl
09-02-2015, 08:42 AM
So, there are a significant number of law breakers, speeders in the Villages? As the speed limit is 20 M.P.H. on the multi-modal paths, Village officials must then address the enforcement of this law or just overlook this one crazy, inconsequential law?

If your question is, are tickets issued to golf cart drivers? The answer is yes.

Go to the toolbar above and find search and type in "golf cart ticketing".

Here is one thread;

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/watch-those-rolling-stops-131362/?highlight=golf+cart+ticketing

biker1
09-02-2015, 09:15 AM
It is presumably overlooked just like cars speeding on the roads is overlooked. You can't police every inch of the MMPs or the roads.

twoplanekid
09-02-2015, 09:41 AM
]If your question is, are tickets issued to golf cart drivers? The answer is yes.

[/B]
Go to the toolbar above and find search and type in "golf cart ticketing".

Here is one thread;

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/watch-those-rolling-stops-131362/?highlight=golf+cart+ticketing

From a 2011 posting ->"The multi-modal paths are not owned by the county. But Florida laws allow a deed restricted community to turn over traffic enforcement of their private roads to the sheriff’s department. But to my knowledge, TV has not done this for the multi-modal paths. So the citations to golf carts would have occurred on the county owned roads in TV. "

All of my thoughts were on speeding on the multi-modal paths. I do believe that it would take a change to the existing CDD regulations to let someone ticket those just speeding on the multi-modal paths.

"You can't police every inch of the MMPs or the roads."

As I would love to place a political sign in my window, do you think the Villages will ignore my breaking of this rule? There are so many windows to police?

TNLAKEPANDA
09-02-2015, 10:02 AM
We have enough RULES here. No more please. Want to be safe then pay attention to what you are doing and to others around you. Most all accidents are the result of not paying attention. If you want seat belts put them in. No need to require them for others.

Challenger
09-02-2015, 10:20 AM
I remember a memo from Janet Tutt ( or the District's atty) refering to the issue of speeding om the MMP's (not public streets) As I recall the statement was that the MMP's are not public facilities and that no county agency can enforce traffic laws thereon. Essentially the document or her comments indicated that there was virtually no way to enforce speed limits on the MMP's
Im sure some poster here can cite the thread to which I refer

twoplanekid
09-02-2015, 10:27 AM
I remember a memo from Janet Tutt ( or the District's atty) refering to the issue of speeding om the MMP's (not public streets) As I recall the statement was that the MMP's are not public facilities and that no county agency can enforce traffic laws thereon. Essentially the document or her comments indicated that there was virtually no way to enforce speed limits on the MMP's
Im sure some poster here can cite the thread to which I refer

Under current CDD regulations, I believe you are correct.

twoplanekid
09-09-2015, 09:09 AM
The following is one of the best studies I have seen on this topic.

Quoting from the article:

Study Purpose
The purpose of this study is to assess current trends and identify key issues and best practices for safely accommodating golf carts and low-speed vehicles (LSVs), particularly neighborhood electric vehicles (NEVs), within community transportation networks. The study was commissioned by the AARP Public Policy Institute (PPI) in response to increasing requests for information on the topic from state AARP offices and city planners. Numerous states and communities are grappling with legislative proposals to address the increasing use of LSVs and golf carts for everyday travel on local streets and paths. These policies are relevant to all age groups but have a particular significance to older adults.

The conclusions and recommendations are found starting on page 20. I will highlight a few of them.

*Ensure that policy makers, law enforcement officials, city planners, and the public are fully aware of the vulnerability of golf carts compared to LSVs and LSVs compared to passenger cars.

*Provide law enforcement agencies with the resources necessary to enforce laws governing LSV and golf cart use.

*All golf carts and LSVs should be registered with the appropriate local or state government agency.

*Require that both golf carts and LSVs be appropriately insured before their use on public and private roads and trails.

*Enforce 20 mph speed limits on multiuse trails.

*Invest in data collection, analyses, and research that will help American communities safely integrate golf carts and LSVs into their transportation networks.

Many of the recommendations in the study have already been implemented and are working well in the Villages. Others need and should be addressed.

http://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/ppi/liv-com/insight54.pdf

Topspinmo
09-14-2015, 03:26 PM
I think you shouldn't get golf cart. It's not regulated enough for you. Reason I say this you have posted several times on the subject. I feel you will not be satisfied no matter what laws are inacted???:plane::police:

John_W
09-14-2015, 04:44 PM
I think you're missing the big picture, who's checking the drivers inside Walmart. I'm seeing far too many accidents and half the aisles you can't move.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e205/Chairman7w/TSnfPrs.jpg

biker1
09-14-2015, 05:59 PM
I don't see side or center stripes on the Walmart aisles. I am pretty sure that is the problem ;-)

I think you're missing the big picture, who's checking the drivers inside Walmart. I'm seeing far too many accidents and half the aisles you can't move.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e205/Chairman7w/TSnfPrs.jpg

twoplanekid
09-14-2015, 07:22 PM
I think you shouldn't get golf cart. It's not regulated enough for you. Reason I say this you have posted several times on the subject. I feel you will not be satisfied no matter what laws are inacted???:plane::police:

Please note that I am only presenting some of the information found in a very comprehensive case study on golf car multi-modal paths. . The Villages golf cart usage was a part of this study. I would encourage others to try to find a better analysis of golf cars on multi-modal trails.

Village Supervisors are already considering some of the ideas in this study. Quoting District 2 Supervisor Blum :” Each of the residents of The Villages need to look at themselves and adjust personal behaviors, address personal golf cart safety and reduce the speed on the multi-modal paths and work toward revising Florida Chapter 190 to provide enforcement power on the multi-modal paths.”

Please read->http://www.districtgov.org/PDFView/PDFMeeting.aspx?id=20150720pa0301

graciegirl
09-14-2015, 08:01 PM
I would hope that all Village home owners are given equal consideration. I am sorry that I can’t live full time in the Villages at this moment.

The point I am trying to make to you who I think is a very nice man....is that The Villages, how it's run, how groups from all over the country live here and think differently, and cook differently and eat differently and vote differently and have different styles of interacting and doing things...and how The way The Villages itself is different than any thing that we have experienced before...takes time to absorb. In a year or two, if you are like most of us, the understanding of this place, and it's people and how things work and where things are becomes clearer and usually people relax and embrace it....rather than try to change it.

All homeowners are equal and important. But this place is very different than any other place that any of us have lived before and it takes getting used to. It is a very different place in the middle of January than it is in the middle of June. The climate and the people change. It becomes more dangerous to drive during the high season, harder to get a tee time, longer to wait at restaurants. People become impatient and critical more when we are crowded. Most new folks are excited to do everything, try everything, go go go all day and then gradually people find what they like best to do and who they like best to be with and sort of just become more mellow and usually are very happy and peaceful here.

twoplanekid
09-14-2015, 08:33 PM
The point I am trying to make to you who I think is a very nice man....is that The Villages, how it's run, how groups from all over the country live here and think differently, and cook differently and eat differently and vote differently and have different styles of interacting and doing things...and how The way The Villages itself is different than any thing that we have experienced before...takes time to absorb. In a year or two, if you are like most of us, the understanding of this place, and it's people and how things work and where things are becomes clearer and usually people relax and embrace it....rather than try to change it.

All homeowners are equal and important. But this place is very different than any other place that any of us have lived before and it takes getting used to. It is a very different place in the middle of January than it is in the middle of June. The climate and the people change. It becomes more dangerous to drive during the high season, harder to get a tee time, longer to wait at restaurants. People become impatient and critical more when we are crowded. Most new folks are excited to do everything, try everything, go go go all day and then gradually people find what they like best to do and who they like best to be with and sort of just become more mellow and usually are very happy and peaceful here.

So, what do you think of this multi-modal case study I referenced? Are the ideas presented valid?
http://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/ppi/liv-com/insight54.pdf

While I don’t belong to AARP, I find their interest in this topic a positive and their conclusions thought provoking.

tomwed
09-14-2015, 09:12 PM
I don't belong to AARP either but I have been told I should consider going to one of their thought provoking meetings.

twoplanekid
09-14-2015, 09:43 PM
It’s a crazy world we live in. In order to fly my 4oz RC aircraft at the polo field in the Villages, I must be an AMA member which then proves that I have insurance coverage to fly. Yet, anyone in the Villages can drive a 900 pound or heavier golf cart without any required insurance. Go figure.

Barefoot
09-14-2015, 10:45 PM
It’s a crazy world we live in. In order to fly my 4oz RC aircraft at the polo field in the Villages, I must be an AMA member which then proves that I have insurance coverage to fly. Yet, anyone in the Villages can drive a 900 pound or heavier golf cart without any required insurance. Go figure.

Not so crazy when you think about it. The Polo Fields are private property and the RC Flyers are lucky enough to be allowed to use them. Some members are very new and haven't had much experience controlling a RC aircraft. The stipulation that flyers must be AMA members makes sense to me.

Some people are thoughtless and immature, and drive cars without insurance. If someone drives a golf cart without insurance and causes an accident, they could be ruined financially for life. I cannot understand why anyone would drive a car or a golf cart without insurance.

Barefoot
09-14-2015, 10:54 PM
Are you thinking of Columbia Par Cars? I think that is just their corporate name, no intention to mislead.

Once you have a few hundred hours under your belt driving a golf cart than people will listen more carefully to what you have to say. You haven't had a chance yet to drive a cart for more than a month...allow your own self to have some experience before you try to make changes to the system. I think that has been gently suggested a few times.

Barefoot
09-14-2015, 10:57 PM
Also, not mentioned on this thread ............. you do not have to have a Driver's License to drive a golf cart. So you have golf carts traveling all over the place - on the road with vehicles - and the driver may never have had, or may have lost, their license.:22yikes: And they may have visual limitations that prevent them for qualifying for a Driver's License. Plus they may be driving without insurance. :shocked:

Diver
09-14-2015, 11:24 PM
Please do not try and get any government, local,state, or federal involved! You can get your cart equipped anyway you want. The rentals are just a basic Villages cart. If you feel so unsafe in one stay in your car. Accidents happen always drive defensively.

outlaw
09-15-2015, 07:47 AM
There is absolutely no need to run a study to determine if people are speeding in carts.They definitely are. Just ride on any path on any day at the speedlimit and you will be passed numerous times.

The real question - is speeding a significant contributor to accidents ? From most of what we read the problem is mainly pilot error for issues other than speed.

I usually ride pedal to the metal, which is around 19-20mph. I honestly rarely get passed. Less than one time per trip, on average.

LindaManson
09-15-2015, 10:42 AM
Try the a TomTom GPS, they show how fast you are going. I bet a friend has TomTom om their Iphone!! we do!!

LindaManson
09-15-2015, 10:51 AM
For starters, I believe and have heard on this site that seat belts are a must. Should they be made mandatory?[/QUOTE]

If you read the accidents in golf cart info in the VHA newsletter, delivered to every resident, you will see that most of the major injuries to drivers/passengers is for being ejected form their carts, not form being trapped in them. Seat belts may not be mandatory, but they are recommended by the Police and Sheriffs departments., and they see the accidents..just saying it is better safe than sorry. Most dealerships install the after market seat belts.

AND....Please have those little kids belted in. You cannot hold on to them an still keep yourself in the cart if there is an accident.