PDA

View Full Version : The Villagers and the complaining

snowbirdgator
06-24-2008, 04:24 AM
Maybe it is just me, but I have noticed that it seems that all the other villagers around here is complain about things. When it comes to a restuarant or shopping or whatever it may be. I cannot understand why all of you must be that way. I was reading about how everyone talks so negative about Whiskey Creek when they closed their doors. Do you guys realize people and restuarants make mistakes. Give them a chance to make it right. Don't run out and complain all the time. They were a good place to eat. Yeah they had their ups and downs, but who doesn't. Every business does. All the villagers expect perfection right out the gate and that is not possible. You have to give someone a fair chance to make things right. They had only been open for a little over a year. It does take time. I have gone to plenty of other place to eat withing the last month and have had worst experiences then I ever did at Whiskey Creek. I was at the Lighthouse the other day and my wife's food had a spider in it and they did nothing about it. I went to RJ Gators a couple weeks ago and it took someone about 10 minutes to finally wait on me. Did I run out and talk negative on those places? NO. I understand that things happen and that I am sure that the next time I go there, I will have a better experience. That is what all of you villagers, that think you are God need to do. Give a place a chance to make you experience right. Don't try to rush out and get a free meal just because your social security might be running out.

Live a little. Enjoy the rest of your life.

rsandstrom
06-24-2008, 11:52 AM
I think the point is that at Whiskey Creek too many people have had bad food & bad service. Why take a chance for a repeat of the same when there are plenty of other good places around. Do me right the first time, or I won't give you a second chance.

I think they have too many untrained kids running these places. >:(

jadebox
06-24-2008, 11:56 AM
I usually try a place a second time. Especially if the first time was right after they opened. Very seldom do I return if time 2 is a bad experience.

Shirleevee
06-24-2008, 12:51 PM
I can excuse a restaurant being disorganized, the waitstaff leaving lots to be desired and long waits for food. Even an occasional bad meal.........I also believe in constructive criticism......tell the manager the problem, (nicely of course). You can't fix what you don't know about.

Shirleevee

travelstiles
06-24-2008, 02:01 PM
It's dificult for any restaurant to keep good help when a number of the patrons are cheap with their tips. We were at Whiskey Creek the day of the Super Bowl, and a man was getting 8 drinks at the bar (2 for 1 scotch & somethings), and left 85 cents for a tip!
If you can't afford to leave a decent tip, don't eat out. Most (not all) retirees should be thankful that they have pensions, medical coverage and social security. These young kids are working for peanuts, will most likely never have a pension, and probably don't have medical benefits. Many are putting themselves through school.
I've found the best restaurants are those who have kept their staff for years, pay them well, and the regular clients always tip fairly (at LEAST 15%). And, as an earlier post said, speak to management before going out and bad mouthing a place.
Please take this into consideration when wondering why service might be so bad.

rdmills
06-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Travel, I can't agree anymore. I was speaking with a bartender who told me that he was paying tax's on 12 percent of his gross sales. (If he rang up $20.00, uncle sam would take 12 percent.) He then needed at tip of $2.40 just to break even. I to have witnessed friends leaving peanuts for tips.

ConeyIsBabe
06-24-2008, 03:43 PM
UMmmmmmmmmm....... I always visit a new restaurant with an open mind. If I get a bad meal from a new restaurant I might or might not go back. If I get a bad meal from a restaurant I always liked..... I don't complain, but I don't go back for a long time, if ever.

If, after a year, a new restaurant can't seem to "get it right" I certainly won't spend my money on less than perfect food or service.

Sorry, I expect and deserve perfection when dining out. ;D

Puterguru
06-24-2008, 04:53 PM
I am happy to leave a .05 cent tip and have on several occasions for crappy terrible service. A tip is EARNED not a given. I went to Applebees and ate my entire lunch without a drink because the waitress was BS'ing with someone at the bar. I called her over, told her about it and left her a nickel. On the other hand I had an $80 bill at Carraba's recently and left the lady $30 because she was soo good. Again, tips are earned.

As far as the original post. All it takes is ONE GOOD MANAGER, that gives a crap about good customer service, good food and a clean restaurant. That is something a manager should require everytime that door opens. Restaurants do NOT need a "Year" to get their act together. ::)

zcaveman
06-24-2008, 05:08 PM
A food critic for the New Jersey Star Ledger was asked why he panned restaurants without giving them a second chance. Maybe the chef was ill or having a bad day or there were food problems, etc.

His answer was that people expect good service and good food everytime they go out. They do not want to spend good money and get mediocre service or food. And that is the way he writes it up.

I have to agree. First of all, I do not go to a new restaurant for the first 30-60 days so they can train the service staff and get over the quirks of the new equipment. And then I ask around to see what other people thought of the place. Then I give it a try. If the service is lousy or the food is lousy, there are other restaurants to eat at. And I do not really care if people tell me it got better. It usually hasn't.

My biggest complaint in the restaurants in TV is trying to find the waitresss and get your check and get out after you eat. For some reason, they disappear. And I really don't feel like chasing them down.

carlent
06-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Ok I have red all of these posts and all of you have missed the boat on this one (my opinion)
Here is the deal:
In order for TV to be a vibrant, successful community, the restaurant industry has to succeed. It must have the full support of the residents in The Villages and the community as a whole. Without that support, the quality of life at TV will slowly erode. Going out to restaurants is a huge activity at TV. Even thouth it seems like a lot of restaurants exist (about 70+) none of them can afford to go out of business. Granted, a few who really do not care about theri customers deserve to go out...but the vast majority try very hard to please the public. We as the public, owe them support and understanding. If your experience is not up to your standards, then examine your standards. Are they realistic? If you expect perfection....is that realistic? Of course the snwer is no. No one of us is perfect....we all make mistakes. so do restaurants....we must evualate what those mistakes are...and do they often repeat them. Or can you live with them and overlook some of the things that are not perfect. Give these operations a chance people....do not jump to bad mouth so freely. Appreciate what you have in TV. Tons of opporunity to go out and get a good meal. As the restaurant industry in TV gets stable....so does TV as a whole. Keep them in business....get rid of those that are really bad apples and appreciate what you have.

SteveFromNY
06-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Ok I have red all of these posts and all of you have missed the boat on this one (my opinion)
Here is the deal:
In order for TV to be a vibrant, successful community, the restaurant industry has to succeed. It must have the full support of the residents in The Villages and the community as a whole. Without that support, the quality of life at TV will slowly erode. Going out to restaurants is a huge activity at TV. Even thouth it seems like a lot of restaurants exist (about 70+) none of them can afford to go out of business. Granted, a few who really do not care about theri customers deserve to go out...but the vast majority try very hard to please the public. We as the public, owe them support and understanding. If your experience is not up to your standards, then examine your standards. Are they realistic? If you expect perfection....is that realistic? Of course the snwer is no. No one of us is perfect....we all make mistakes. so do restaurants....we must evualate what those mistakes are...and do they often repeat them. Or can you live with them and overlook some of the things that are not perfect. Give these operations a chance people....do not jump to bad mouth so freely. Appreciate what you have in TV. Tons of opporunity to go out and get a good meal. As the restaurant industry in TV gets stable....so does TV as a whole. Keep them in business....get rid of those that are really bad apples and appreciate what you have.

Seems to me you're putting the cart somewhat before the horse in your logic. I think in order for the restaurant industry to succeed there has to be an unfailing commitment on the part of the restaurant to provide superior service and superior food in a consistent manner.

If I go to a restaurant and they have what I consider bad atmosphere, or the food is sub-par, or the service is horrible, I am very, very likely not to go back. I don't owe a restaurant a second chance - I'm spending my money in their place. If I don't get what I consider to be a good value, I simply won't do it again.

The restaurants that get it right will survive. They aren't children that we have to be understanding of and coddle through into adulthood - they are businesses, and only deserve my business if they lure me in (I don't like Indian food, so even the very best Indian restaurant won't get me in the door), then serve me correctly (not too slow, get it right) and most importantly, and provide me with food I like at a price I find agreeable. If none of that happens, why is it my responsibility to try again? A new restaurant will open up, and it will either make it or not. Survival of the fittest!

I don't always want perfection, but it has to be an overall positive experience. Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results?

Irish Rover
06-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Hey Puterguru - you left a tip of $30 on an $80 tab?????? Almost 40% :o :o :o :o Please come to Missouri and visit Lake of the Ozarks - we might even consider paying for your flight. I'm alerting all of the wait staff just in case you decide to visit.

ConeyIsBabe
06-24-2008, 09:25 PM
I eat out a lot in Grants Pass and some of the surrounding towns and I continue to patronize my favorite restaurants. My most favorite.... Thai BBQ is consistently EXCELLENT; I've never had a bad meal or inferior service and I always tip 20%.

In my opinion, the restaurant business has no room for error..... people can get sick or even die from contaminated food. Poor service reflects on the management and its training. If the restaurant can't get it perfect, they have no business being in business !

Russ_Boston
06-25-2008, 12:44 PM
CIB - Perfect statement.

Carl - With 100K people eventually TV will have plenty of restaurants. The good ones will stick and the poorly managed ones will fail. Restaurants are no different that any other market. To succeed you need: a good idea; a good execution (food and service); a great manager (the key IMHO); a lot of hard work; and a little bit of luck.

Z hit it on the head when he talked about chasing down your waiter for the check. If you've ever worked in the business then you know the most important part of the plan is turnover. You only have so many tables during the rush and if you can satisfy the client with the food and the service the least you could do is TAKE THEIR MONEY and put new fannies in the seats. A good manager is all over that. Your profit margin erodes with every minute the client sits there without ordering anything additional. A manager has to stay on top of the staff to ensure that the waiter isn't trying to 'manage' their tables.

I'm not saying to rush the clients out the door but an attentive wait staff is the main thing that clients want.

As Dennis Miller closed with "That's jut my opinion, I might be wrong".

blueeagle65
06-25-2008, 05:11 PM
There are just some nasty, mean people here that think the universe should revolve around them and whose face would probably break if they ever smiled. We can just hope that they soon get their fill of TV and move on and take their grey clouds with them.

SallyL
06-25-2008, 06:35 PM
I am always surprised by how many of my friends expect to get something for free when we are out. I have seen a very wealthy woman take her martini glass and put it in her purse. Disgusting!

carlent
06-29-2008, 11:50 PM
that's my point exactly!! Let's lighten up on the restaurants and not expect perfection. It is impossible. Let's go to the one's we like... and if we go to one that is not so great, let's go to the manager at that moment and voice our thoughts and give some advice on how the problem can be soved. Let's all of us be part of the solution! We need great restaurants her and we can help!

carlent

travelstiles
06-30-2008, 12:18 AM
:agree:
"Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us."
- Earl Nightingale

Barefoot
06-30-2008, 01:34 AM
I don't think it is our accolades or complaints on TOTV that will make or break a restaurant. If a restaurant in TV is well run and has good food and service, it will survive and probably have waiting lines. If a restaurant has lousy food and service, it will soon be closing its doors.

MelZ
07-15-2008, 02:21 PM
After 40 years in sales and the innumerable business lunches and dinners, I have developed a few rules:

1. Wait staff has 10 minutes to take drink order and deliver it, if not tip drops to ZERO (good services can bring it back up). This drives my wife nuts.

2. I expect all courses to be served promptly and timed perfectly.

3. Food quality (although subjective) reflects on restaurant not wait staff

4. I will go back to a restaurant after a bad experience but only once. In this game two strikes and your out.

5. Tip is for services performed, so bad service or excellent service is tipped accordingly.

6. I do send poorly prepared food back and complain to mgmt. They can't improve if they don't know there is a problem.

Just my opinion

busygirl
08-05-2008, 12:27 AM
I am on the younger side at age 37. I was a server during college and because of that, I feel I can Expect service when I dine out. I usually tip 20% if the server is attentive and keeps me in liquids :) I work hard and every dining out experience is a treat and I have expectations. The retirees at TV have worked hard and can live this lifestyle b/c of this work. They certainly do not have to go out to eat. TV restaurants must provide a quality dining experience for continued patronage. I do think part of the problem is the wage that the wait staff is paid. I also think that the restaurants take much for granted and do not focus as much on customer service as they should.

Skip
08-05-2008, 08:18 AM
I always pay for restaurant tabs by credit card.
I always add the tip right on the charge slip.
I always make a comment on the slip next to the tip amount.
Like: "Good job, thanks. $8.00 tip".
Or: "Never got my ice tea refill. $5.00 tip".
Or: "You got my order wrong twice. No tip".

Reason I do this?
That slip has to go through the hands of the manager that night and he can see who my server was, how much tip I left and WHY! That's the best way to get corrective action on both service and food quality.

Whiskey Creek failed because the manager (who became part owner) didn't give a :edit: about your complaint that your steak was cold, tough or burnt!

The original poster wants me to keep my mouth shut, chew my cold, tough, burnt steak and yet keep coming back to this place because being in business is also "tough"?

I don't think so!

My complaining is meant to help the place IMPROVE.

Skip

gingersmom
08-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Busygirl, you're 37 and you live in TV?

sunday
09-20-2008, 07:14 AM
Busygirl..... Another member of the under 50, workingclass invasion of TV.. From what I have witnessed is that a majority of senior residents are overly demanding in restaurants...special order this, what will you give me that... If we all stuck to ordering items on the menu, prepared the way it's supposed to be served. The servers could stop wasteing time altering orders and getting confused, the cooks would not waste time altering meals and cook what they know(these arn't chefs, we would never pay for that). I think alot of these restaurants that are struggleing in both service and food quality would improve drasticly... Furthermore, alot of these kids travel quite some distance to get to work, like from Ocala. Most of them have familys and Restaurants seldomly offer health care. Like some one mentioned earlier, Uncle Sam takes 10% of sales for taxes. If you can't/or won't tip appropriately stay home and eat. In 15 years TV will be another Hilton Head anyway, I saw the same thing happen there.. Peace and Love.

Donna
09-20-2008, 07:49 AM
I don't think it is our accolades or complaints on TOTV that will make or break a restaurant. If a restaurant in TV is well run and has good food and service, it will survive and probably have waiting lines. If a restaurant has lousy food and service, it will soon be closing its doors.

Amen Barefoot!:agree:

Lucko
09-20-2008, 04:34 PM
This is simplistic, but true. To exist more than the common two years in business ( half of all new restaurants fail in two years ) the restaurant needs to pay attention to three things. 1. Good food 2. Good servers 3. Fair prices Two out of three of these items done right will keep you in business and then you can retire to The Villages. Been there, done that, and it got me to TV.

oldguy
08-08-2009, 07:01 AM
I agree with you peter, I went to ruby tuesday, and left a $1 tip because because the waitress never came back after leaving our food. I never got the hamburger I wanted, she orderred it wrong. and when she came back, she just handed us our check. on the other hand we went to both moes, and big city, both fast food places. they have a little jar in front of their registers, I left a $2 tip at big city, my ticket was $6, the order taker was sweet and cheerful, food came out hot, fresh, and amazingly fast, the place was clean, and I didnt hear them call my number, she brought the food to my table. where do you find such good help. on the way out I stuffed $2 into their very filled tip jar. At moe's, me and my wife split a nachos, yumm, the girl looked like she was a star at miami ink, but she was sweet, was careful making our nachos, clean, and listened, her crew got a $2 tip, for a good job. I seem to get better service at the fast food places. good service must be rewarded with a good tip. Just my slant on it

oldguy
08-15-2009, 07:29 AM
To answer Cony Islan Babe, "I expect and deserve profection when I dine out" Well lets talk about perfection. Lets say some will judge you on perfection. I know that you must of had a job at one time. Let's say I was your boss, and you worked for me for a year. You always come in on time, you work hard at what you do, you are smart and intelligent, and you get along, and are a good team player, and the company has made allot of money while you were there. Lots of good things, right?. Well, I am like you, I expect perfection, and found out that once you added a column of numbers incorrectly, I immediately fire you, and call all the other employers in the area and tell them what a bad worker you are, and that you should never be allowed to work again. I don't think you would like to be judged that way. But you sure like judging restaurants that way. "Employers expect and deserve perfection" and you should not be able to earn a living again. When you look it that way, maybee you will realize that in this world, perfection is impossible. "Judge, and ye shall be Judged." just my slant on it.

emilyjean
08-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Sad to say, I have to agree with you, so many people here so unhappy, that they have nothing better to do than complaint, how sad people, you would think at this stage of our lives, happy happy people. It clear that the older some get the more they find wrong with things. As for your experiences, with Lighthouse, have to say...a complaint is in order..and for this place NOT to do anything about it, I would have walked out, I do hope at least they gave you another meal...if not...something is wrong with you..some complaints are justifed. This is one of them, so hopefully they provided you with a new meal....if not...will not return myself

graciegirl
08-15-2009, 03:35 PM
I can excuse a restaurant being disorganized, the waitstaff leaving lots to be desired and long waits for food. Even an occasional bad meal.........I also believe in constructive criticism......tell the manager the problem, (nicely of course). You can't fix what you don't know about.

Shirleevee

:agree::agree::agree:

jeanneb
12-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Maybe it is just me, but I have noticed that it seems that all the other villagers around here is complain about things. When it comes to a restuarant or shopping or whatever it may be. I cannot understand why all of you must be that way. I was reading about how everyone talks so negative about Whiskey Creek when they closed their doors. Do you guys realize people and restuarants make mistakes. Give them a chance to make it right. Don't run out and complain all the time. They were a good place to eat. Yeah they had their ups and downs, but who doesn't. Every business does. All the villagers expect perfection right out the gate and that is not possible. You have to give someone a fair chance to make things right. They had only been open for a little over a year. It does take time. I have gone to plenty of other place to eat withing the last month and have had worst experiences then I ever did at Whiskey Creek. I was at the Lighthouse the other day and my wife's food had a spider in it and they did nothing about it. I went to RJ Gators a couple weeks ago and it took someone about 10 minutes to finally wait on me. Did I run out and talk negative on those places? NO. I understand that things happen and that I am sure that the next time I go there, I will have a better experience. That is what all of you villagers, that think you are God need to do. Give a place a chance to make you experience right. Don't try to rush out and get a free meal just because your social security might be running out.

Live a little. Enjoy the rest of your life.

I think you were real fair, I am a server in TV, and sometimes these residents are impossible. They want everything as cheap as possible and they wanted it yesterday. Thank you for observing what really goes on.
Jeanneb