PDA

View Full Version : What is the Favorite Place you've Traveled to???

Lil Dancer
06-26-2008, 01:27 AM
We'e been to a lot of great spots, but I think my favorite was New Zealand. We toured the south island by car, staying in B&B's. The scenery was incredible, not a lot of tourists, the locals were incredibly friendly,and the dollar exchange at the time was great. It was as if you took all the most beautiful spots in the US and placed them on this little island. We did a lot of hiking; it was spring when we went and all the lambs had just been born (there are many more sheep on the island than people) and they were so cute.

I'd be interested in hearing about what everyone else's favorite places are.....

redwitch
06-26-2008, 05:27 AM
Europe -- Copenhagen. I love the people, the city, the atmosphere, the food, everything! I fell in love with it when I was little because of the mermaid in the river but as an adult, I fell in love with it all over again. I love Copenhagen in all seasons but especially in the winter and spring.

United States -- Yosemite. The first time I drove into Yosemite, I literally had to stop my car it was so breathtaking. It was an annual tradition to camp in Yosemite and find a new trail to hike. It is the one thing I will always regret leaving.

Asia -- Hong Kong. The bustle, the busyness, the liveliness fascinate me.

For true magic, visit St. Petersburg, Russia, at Christmas. The golden domes and the crystal snow are breathtaking (so is the cold).

l2ridehd
06-26-2008, 11:08 AM
I have traveled to most every place in the world except the Middle East. So I am sure there are places there that would also become a favorite. However there are 3 places I have been that I could go and not care if I ever came back.

The first is the South of France. A little town on the coast just West of Cannes called Mondeleux (sp wrong) that sits on a hill with great beaches, a few really great places to eat, and a laid back lifestyle that is to die for.

The second is several places in Australia. Sit on the top floor of the Intercontinental hotel and look out over Sydney Harbor. The bay, the bridge and the Opera house. Breathtaking. The wine country is like being in Napa valley 50 years ago. The coast and beaches are just so unused and private. I want to go back and visit the one place in the country I have missed, the Margaret River wine country.

And the third is here in the US. Stand on the top of Heavenly or Northstar ski areas at Lake Tahoe and look down on this incredible blue blue lake, with the snow covered mountains running right to the shore. The majestic pines and the fabulous skiing. Again a heaven on earth.

784caroline
06-26-2008, 12:15 PM
In the states we loved the cruise and personal travels in ALaska with the scenery, wildife to include Orca whales, sammon fishing and bears, Glacier bay, the history of the gold rush in Skagway, and alot more.

Swiss alps and treking through high mountains. You take the gondola cars to the highest peaks; stop to let the mountain cows with their BIG cow bells or a farmer with a flock of geese pass; enjoy some goulash or hot tea in summer or winter while basking in the sunny (hot hot) sun; and the most unique staying in a small B&B and in the early evening being part of a yodelling impromptu by the locals while engaging in their local brew :#1:!

France...all parts to enjoy the countryside, of course the food..visiting our first Michelin Star resturant; the culture of the cities; Enjoying a New Years Festive occasion in a small French bistro not knowing what to expect or anyone esle besides the couple you are with but yet being invited to sit at tables mingle with the people and enjoying total cultural immersion!

Germany..our home for 4 years, freindly people, gateway to all of europe, The Beer, customs and summer open air markets and fests....to include Octoberfest and the Bad Durkheim wine festivals, Volks Marching to gain your trek medal, Berlin before the wall came down was a real eye opening (and history) experience

Bangkok/ Chaing Mai.....people were extremely friendly always calling me ....Mr Richard, totaly different culture from Europe than our previous experiences, shopping

Lil Dancer
06-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Redwitch, your description of Copenhagen and St. Petersburg sound wonderful. I hope I get to visit those spots someday. We went to Yosemite, and truly loved it. My son-in-law is a climber, and we watched them climb on El Capitan. Truly amazing.

784Caroline, we hope to go to Alaska next summer. Maybe I can pick your brain sometime about places to go? We just got back from Thailand, and I have to echo your experiences in Bangkok and chaing Mai. The people were so friendly and polite, and I never saw a frown or anger, they always seemed very happy. The food was the best!

l2ride - France is one of those places I would love to go to, especially southern France, but just haven't made it there yet. Mondeleux sounds like its right up our alley. We love places like that.

l2ridehd
06-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Chaing Mai Thailand and the night market. Best shopping in Asia. At about 6:00 PM all the stores close and for miles on both sides of the street the vendor stalls 4 feet wide open and they have everything and anything for sale. Great buys on orchid jewelry and fake silk and anything else you need. Chinatown in Kuala Lumpur and the Central Market are also good shopping. But Chaing Mai is the best. Just an adventure. However still not one of my favorite places, just good shopping.

Lil Dancer
06-27-2008, 02:18 PM
I agree with your assessment of Chiang Mai. I loved the temple there with the curving dragon staircase rail and all the steps, and we went to an elephant conservation camp an hour and a half away that was interesting, but other that CM didn't really grab me. I liked Bangkok a lot better. We went farther north near Burma to a place called Mae Hong Song, and stayed at an ecotourism resort called The Fern Resort, and really loved it there. It was situated at the base of a national park. We did some hiking, went into the small town and enjoyed their night market. It was a small town provincial feel, and the scenery was just gorgeous, located in the mountains. We'd sit at sunset have a glass of wine and look out over the misty rice paddies, like something out of a movie.

SteveZ
06-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Here

784caroline
06-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Lil Dancer
No problem..we will bring some pics to the party,,,,and better yet anyone that has been on an alaskan cruise will be invited to share their best and (if they have one worse experence. Next summer ..plently of time!

Regarding Bangcock...did you get a chance to go to a resturant called Cabbages and Condoms ...great little resturant with national writeups ...what I really got a kick out of is that instead of mints at the end of the meal you had the option of choosing a condom ( eastern or western style)..(very narrow or big) but this place is all Legit for it supports the HIV community which is big in Thailand.

Lil Dancer
06-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Oh, that's hilarious (but certainly a good cause)!!!! No we didn't make it to any well known restaurants. We tended to just wing it and eat in local low key establishments. One of the best meals we had in a place that was almost what I'd call a diner. We sat next to a couple of guys who were just getting to know each other, by the sound of their conversation. Anyways, i asked the one if he had a dish to recommend. he asked our preferences, then ordered for us, and we had an astounding meal with drinks, for about $7 American.

bestmickey
07-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Favs in the US are: Walt Disney World, Gettysburg PA, and Balboa Island CA

Overseas it would be Greece.

travelstiles
07-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Overseas it would be Florence, Italy. In the U.S., the Blue Ridge Parkway (in North Carolina) in the fall when the leaves are just changing. Spectacular!

jadebox
07-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Call me crazy but I love Death Valley. I have lived in many states in the US, Europe and the Far east BUT love Death Valley. No way would I live anywhere besides TV but every couple years we stay at Stovepipe Wells for two or three days so I can get my desert fix.

The Gray Hog
07-07-2008, 01:23 AM
We did the Alaska land tour seven days and then onboard the cruise ship down the inside passage for a total of fourteen days. Exhausting flight up and back, but the beauty is beyond discription. A must do/see.

renielarson
07-07-2008, 02:51 AM
My favorite place is Louisiana.

The Atchafalaya Basin is the most amazing place full of fish, crawfish, rare birds, and abundant alligators. Travelling through the basin in a very special, unique swamp boat provides an experience to remember. It provides up close and personal investigation of the most beautiful foliage, trees and other plant life in addition to animal life...especially if you have a topnotch guide, which we did.

The culture of the Cajun population captures me...the history of how they came to settle in Louisiana....travelling the eastern coast on their way to their final home.

I love the cuisine...crawfish, jambalaya, gumbo, alligator, blue crabs, rich & thick roux...all so wonderfully delicious! I do pass on the fried pork rinds and hogshead cheese...yuck!

The Cajun dialect and words/phrases used in addition to the fluent French spoken by some, and sadly not by as many as in the past, captivates me.

Also, the special music created with the use of squeezeboxes, harmonicas, and guitars is entertaining to listen to. Plus the two step dancing to this most unique sound is downright fun.

Louisiana is a great state!

784caroline
07-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Brightspot
We have never been to Louisiana and that is one of the places we were hoping to visit once we get established in TV (later this month). HOw far a drive is New Orleans from TV and do you recommend other stops along the way.

renielarson
07-07-2008, 01:12 PM
caroline

We flew to Louisiana from Michigan so I can't help you. Sorry.

I can tell you that New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Lafayette are cities you don't want to miss. We flew into New Orleans then travelled on to Baton Rouge then on to Lafayette over the course of a week. Lafayette is where you'll see more of the real life since it's not a tourist attraction like New Orleans. Randols is a Lafayette restaurant you'll want to visit for not only the blue crabs but also for the dancing. Don't miss the capital building in Baton Rouge...some interesting stories here.

Lil Dancer
07-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks Bright for the tips. That is definitely an area I'd like to see someday!

chelsea24
07-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Overseas, I would say London. Here is the US, my all time favorite city is San Francisco. I just can feel the energy there and there's always something new to discover. :#1:

Mikitv
07-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Hong Kong and China, it was a wonderful experience that I still remember after all this time.

Here in the US it would be Alaska. I have been there five times and it is our last frontier.

Hawaii is a close second for the US.

graciegirl
07-13-2008, 05:49 PM
My favorite place abroad is London. I love a lot of places in the U.S. The Villages is my favorite.

Hyacinth Bucket
07-14-2008, 04:28 AM
I loved reading about all of your favorite places you have been to. Have been to most of them and the only places we keep returning to are Alaska and Hawaii.

Each place I visit is my favorite. Wish I could return to all of them, they are all so unique and different and the friends that we have made in all the places is the best part of our travels.

This winter we hope to make our first trip to Thailand and that area. Have heard so much about the night market that I will bring along extra suitcases, even though I am down sizing. I had to buy two extra suitcases when we were in China, I would love to go back to the Pearl Market.

Would love to hear more about Thailand as we start planning our trip. We will not be going on a tour - please pm me with all suggestions.

If anyone needs specific info or dvd's of an area let me know, I have a collection of them.

HB

chuckinca
07-15-2008, 02:48 AM
Santa Fe!

Probably the art center of the Southwest.

Ashland, Oregon!

Shakespeare on the outdoor Tudor stage on a summer night.

Hyacinth Bucket
07-15-2008, 03:10 AM
Chuck did you go to the museum in Santa Fe?

When we were there we were invited to the Catholic Church to participate in a ceremony for men becoming priest. I was very impressed with the ceremony.

HB

KathieI
07-15-2008, 03:30 AM
You've all brought back such great memories of trips, its hard to decide.

Since I don't like flying too far, I haven't been to Asia or Australia yet but would love to go there and New Zealand too. Wasn't impressed with South America but I was in Caracas, Venezuela, and it was not great, but at least I can check it off my list.

Of course, my favorite is Europe: London, Paris, Florence, Monaco, St. Tropez, food is divine and scenery was wonderful. I was awarded a trip by the owner of my company on her yacht to travel from Nice all along the coast to St. Tropez for a week. What a wonderful trip that was. Private chefs, deck hands, maids. and I was lucky enough to get the owner's cabin. All was wonderful, until we hit the worse storm and our dumb captain decided to take the storm on. I hugged that porcelain god for 4 hours and thought I was gonna die.

A terrible end to a wonderful cruise.

Hyacinth Bucket
07-15-2008, 03:42 AM
Kathie, that cruise sounded fantastic until I read the end. I think they owe you another cruise. If you get another cruise like that one, count me in. ;)

You can cruise to Asia and also stop off in Australia.

HB

Sidney Lanier
07-16-2008, 09:47 PM
Hard to say. So many....

As someone who grew up in New York City, which even as a kid I knew like the back of my hand, I happily became a country boy 30 years ago. In spite of this, one of my favorite places is Hong Kong, highest population density in the world (quarter million people per square mile). Fascinating place, as is Beijing and its history (and the amazing Pearl Market).

My first cousins are scattered around the world (makes Thanksgiving difficult to plan for...), and three more wondrous cities on our own and which included visits with them are London (incredible theater!), Berlin (formerly East Berlin with such a marvelous selection of concerts and other cultural events to pick from every single evening!), and Moscow (so laden with history; as in all the other cities, wondrous architecture; and the challenge of staying and functioning in an all-Russian part of the city close to my cousin for half our visit, meaning far from the tourism areas where we later stayed and where English was common). Also love both Amsterdam and Venice for their uniqueness as cities, and ditto to the earlier posting about Sydney, although Brisbane, much smaller, had a real charm and friendliness about it.

We've been to Alaska many times and are ready to go back in a breath! Those going for the first time need to be reminded that while the cruise through the Inside Passage is pretty awesome, that is only one small piece of this incredible state that hopefully will remain 'the last natural frontier in the U.S.'! Beauty beyond belief!

I love all our travels throughout Latin America, from Mexico all the way south to Chile and Argentina; in terms of cities there, I'd have to say that Santiago, Chile is one of my favorites, with La Recoleta Cemetery in Buenos Aires being one of the most unique sites in the entire world! (Andrew Lloyd Webber has turned 'Evita' into a worldwide industry....) The U.S. dollar still has value in Latin America, not decimated as it is through much of the rest of the world. The people are generally warm, heartfelt, and friendly, and so appreciative of my struggling with my high school Spanish which I continue to work on improving (in fact, taking an immersion program at SUNY New Paltz next weekend).

We were in Kenya only once, and what a grand safari adventure it was! We can read about it, we can see pictures of it, we can even see videos of it on television, but when you see sights like the migration of thousands of wildebeests and zebras, herds of elephants walking through the night, a pride of lions munching on the carcass of today's kill, and a hundred thousand flamingos taking off all at once, it just leaves you breathless. In spite of their political problems, people are friendly and, sometimes against our better judgment (our heads can get in the way sometimes...), we felt safe and found out that for sure that we were.

We've done many cruises but did our first European river cruise in April, this one on the Rhone and Soane Rivers in France. Lovely, and looking forward to doing more, including one on the Danube through major cities like Prague, Budapest, and Vienna on into the Black Sea (and maybe see other cousins whom we've seen only in New York before!).

And in September we're tentatively planning a driving trip, after attending trade shows in Orlando, through the Florida Panhandle, Alabama, Mississippi, and into New Orleans. If anyone has suggestions for this route and these places, please post them. Thanks!

chuckinca
07-21-2008, 01:23 AM
Chuck did you go to the museum in Santa Fe?

When we were there we were invited to the Catholic Church to participate in a ceremony for men becoming priest. I was very impressed with the ceremony.

HB

HB:

We went to the Georgia O'Keefe museum.

The winding street with all the art shops for about a mile was pretty amazing.

KayakerNC
07-21-2008, 03:25 AM
The Caribbean, via Royal Caribbean International cruise ships.
My wife says she has never met an island she didn't love.