PDA

View Full Version : Which electric cart brand?

redsox04
03-10-2015, 02:36 PM
In the market to replace my current 2011 E Z Go electric. Would appreciate comments/experience regarding manufacturer. I am most interested in the range owners are realistically experiencing. Not interested in a gas cart, so please refrain from those responses!

UpNorth
03-10-2015, 02:50 PM
Any brand that is 48V with a configuration of eight 6-volt batteries will give you the maximum range of an electric cart. This is for today's standard "wet" batteries. Someday, improved batteries (lithium ion, etc) may become affordable and extend the range to greater distances between charges.

2BNTV
03-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Any brand that is 48V with a configuration of eight 6-volt batteries will give you the maximum range of an electric cart. This is for today's standard "wet" batteries. Someday, improved batteries (lithium ion, etc) may become affordable and extend the range to greater distances between charges.

I was quoted a range of 50 to 60 miles but have noticed my cart does get slower when I get near the 50 mile range. I have 8-6v Trojan batteries in my cart.

I would recommend to have installed an automatic distilled water refiller as I find this to be so easy to maintain the water levels, in my batteries.

It was also recommended to get a "Battery Minder" trickle charger in addition to a regular charge type device. I was told that if one drive less than 15 miles per day, to use to trickle charger to recharge the batteries. It also desulfates the batteries. If one goes more than 15 miles, use the regular charger.

Check your water levels every month. I was informed one may extend the time between buying new batteries by doing the above. Possible change batteries every 5 years as opposed to three years.

Stay tuned....

ajbrown
03-10-2015, 03:29 PM
Normally if someone asks about types of new carts to look at I recommend checking out the EZGO (based on what I have heard).

It is none of my business of course, but I am curious why you are moving away from the EZGO. I assume it is the 2011 AC drive? Does the pack have 4 or 6 batteries?

Sorry I cannot help with what cart to buy, mine are both 2002 Club Cars. I consider them new :jester:

ajbrown
03-10-2015, 03:33 PM
I was quoted a range of 50 to 60 miles but have noticed my cart does get slower when I get near the 50 mile range. I have 8-6v Trojan batteries in my cart.

I would recommend to have installed an automatic distilled water refiller as I find this to be so easy to maintain the water levels, in my batteries.

<stuff snipped by Alan>

Stay tuned....

Why might a cart go slower? If you do not have one, get a voltmeter for your dash to be sure you are not burning out that pretty new pack... Miles are not nearly as important as volts left in the 'tank'.

village dreamer
03-10-2015, 05:06 PM
I like my 2015 club cart 6x8 batterys 4 seater,so far I have only gone about 30 miles and still have a lot of juice left on my ele. meter after a day of running around and playing golf. I will only buy an ele.cart, no smells or noise and no going to the gas station for gas. just my 2 cents

JoMar
03-10-2015, 06:38 PM
We have a 2014 Par Car and a 2015 Star EV. I live below 466A and have traveled to Lopez and played 18, went to LSL for lunch then home. Later did a quick run to Brownwood (ran out of Dunkin K Cups) and back home. Didn't note the miles, I watch the volt meter...when it gets to 43 volts I head for the barn. That's with the Star. My wife drives the ParCar and doesn't go as far as I do but has never had an issue with range. We charge both every night, the Battery Minder and the Star EV play nicely together, the ParCar doesn't so charge separately......talked to Battery Minder and they advised that happens, some you can plug in together and some you can't.

mrf6969
03-10-2015, 06:45 PM
well, enjoy it now. Like any electric cart after 2 years of battery age your range will drop off a ledge.
I have no doubt for this reason and this reason alone you see
many more gas carts around compared to what you saw when TV was much smaller.

Biker Dog
03-11-2015, 04:25 AM
well, enjoy it now. Like any electric cart after 2 years of battery age your range will drop off a ledge.
I have no doubt for this reason and this reason alone you see
many more gas carts around compared to what you saw when TV was much smaller.

Not true if you maintain the batteries properly. My last set of batteries were 5 years old and I still would get 40-45 miles on a charge. I replaced them because 2 batteries developed bad cells, so I replaced all 8 batteries.:wave::crap2:

Bosoxfan
03-11-2015, 04:52 AM
years of use really isn't an indicator .Amp hours is the main reason batteries wear down. I put over 9 thousand miles a year on my carts and had to replace the batteries every 13 months. So I guess you could get 5 years if you only drove 2 thousand miles a year.

Biker Dog
03-11-2015, 05:40 AM
Not looking for a debate on this issue, but to be sure in the 5 years I have put 26,152 miles on my cart.

BTW it is a club cart

jimbo2012
03-11-2015, 06:38 AM
Don't worry about range or charging, go solar.

Works like a dream 70+ miles

As far as batteries, yes they should last 4-5 years if maintained correctly

I will only buy an ele.cart, no smells or noise and no going to the gas station for gas. just my 2 cents

And you're reducing your carbon foot print

biker1
03-11-2015, 08:26 AM
I was curious about battery lifespan. A guy at ParCars told me 8000 miles is an expected lifespan of batteries if they are maintained and not deeply discharged.

years of use really isn't an indicator .Amp hours is the main reason batteries wear down. I put over 9 thousand miles a year on my carts and had to replace the batteries every 13 months. So I guess you could get 5 years if you only drove 2 thousand miles a year.

JoMar
03-11-2015, 07:39 PM
Did you notice that the Villages golf carts now stock and sell electrics? I suspect they understand there is a market. Gas lovers will always be gas lovers but the pro electric guys are moving in and more are out there.

rjm1cc
03-11-2015, 08:44 PM
In the market to replace my current 2011 E Z Go electric. Would appreciate comments/experience regarding manufacturer. I am most interested in the range owners are realistically experiencing. Not interested in a gas cart, so please refrain from those responses!

I think the type of motor is important -DC or AC so I would add that question. I think I have a DC motor and I slow down going up hill. I think the E Z Go is AC and you do not slow down on hills. I only go short distances so no info on range.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
03-11-2015, 09:48 PM
I was in the golf business for 35 years and worked with golf cart fleets. Mostly I worked with Club Car so I am used to them and I like them a lot. I have a 2002 Club Car that runs like a dream.

As far a range goes, there is no need to do the 8 six volt battery conversion any longer. A new battery is available called the Ranger. They cost about 30% more than traditional batteries but they'll give you 160 minutes of running time out of a single charge. At 20 mph, that converts to sixty miles. But, that is running on a flat surface with no hills and no starting and stopping. Realistically, you can expect to get between 40 to 50 miles on a charge.

Barefoot
03-11-2015, 11:19 PM
Would appreciate comments/experience regarding manufacturer. I am most interested in the range owners are realistically experiencing!

We bought our Columbia Par Car in 2007 and still love it. We've never come close to running out of charge.

tuccillo
03-12-2015, 08:52 AM
If you wanted to reduce your carbon footprint, a golf cart is the last place to start since it is likely to be the smallest part of your energy footprint.

Let's look at some of my numbers based on 4000 miles per year for a gas golf cart, 6000 miles per year for a fairly fuel efficient car, and annual electric power usage of 9421 kWhs for my all electric home (considering 62% of FL power from natural gas, 21% from coal and the rest from sources that don't directly generate CO2 such as nuclear at 12%).

Golf Cart: 1516 lbs of CO2
Car: 4055 lbs of CO2
House: 11,505 lbs of CO2

If I switched to an electric golf cart (assuming 200 W/mile), the annual CO2 emissions would drop from 1516 lbs of CO2 to 1040 lbs of CO2.

Therefore the totals are as follows:

with gas cart: 17,067 lbs of CO2
with elec cart: 16,600 lbs of CO2

or less than 3% lower annual emissions with an electric golf cart. Indirect effects are not included such as the amount of CO2 used in recycling, manufacturing, and transporting batteries for an electric cart and the amount of CO2 used in recycling, manufacturing, and transporting engine oil, drive belts, and filters for the gas cart.

If you drive a golf cart less than we do, and/or drive a car more than we do, and/or consume more electricity in your house than we do, the percentage decrease would be less.

If you desire to reduce your carbon footprint the first thing you would go after is home power usage by installing photovoltaic panels on your roof. The next thing would be to buy an all electric car such as a Nisson Leaf. I am not suggesting that either of these are cost effective. Gas vs. electric golf cart CO2 emission differences are in the noise range for most people.

Regarding solar panels on the roof of a golf cart, this is certainly admirable but probably not cost effective. Assuming you drive the cart 4000 miles per year and the solar panels on the roof of the golf cart can supply half of your total power (an optimistic assumption based on the area of the roof, the power density of current solar panels, and having the golf cart outside in the sun all day), the most you can save is about $50/year. At a net cost of over $1000 for the panels and controller, the payback would be out at 20 years assuming the future value of the $1000+ invested elsewhere equaled the increase in power cost. If you drive less than 4000 miles per year, the payback would be even further out. Even if the solar panels could provide all of your power for the golf cart, the payback is still going to be far out. For example, suppose you drove 2000 miles per year and the solar panels provided 100% of your power, you would save about $50/year. I am not saying there isn't a certain entertainment value in having solar panels on the roof of a golf cart but the engineering numbers would show that it is probably not cost effective. I suppose you may realize some increased battery life if deep battery discharges were typical. Regarding range extension, I believe the current generation panels provide approximately 1 mile of range extension per hour of overhead sun exposure (assuming 200-400 W nominal panels).

Don't worry about range or charging, go solar.

Works like a dream 70+ miles

As far as batteries, yes they should last 4-5 years if maintained correctly

And you're reducing your carbon foot print

jimbo2012
03-12-2015, 09:56 AM
no comment, your figures are wrong

tuccillo
03-12-2015, 10:36 AM
If you disagree then post your own figures. When you say "no comment" most people will assume you have nothing. The conversion numbers are correct, the assumptions are provided, and my energy usage numbers are what they are.

no comment, your figures are wrong

jimbo2012
03-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Unfortunately we are on our own and have to police this forum ourselves.
That means challenging statements that are clearly not true.

I wish we had more people on this forum who actually truly advocated and shared knowledge instead of using hearsay to sway opinion away from the truth.

Nevertheless, such are the state of affairs and I don’t always get my wish.

therefore, no comment

Barefoot
03-12-2015, 12:11 PM
So you have nothing to dispute my numbers? OK, I suspected as much. Since you have nothing, I suggest you not respond to my posts since you clearly can't contribute anything.

This thread isn't about carbon footprints, although it's an interesting subject and deserves a thread of its own.
This thread is asking for our opinions on what type of electric golf card we'd recommend - I think the Columbia Par Car has the best range.

tuccillo
03-12-2015, 12:55 PM
Range is largely a function of the battery configuration/capacity. Find out the number of batteries and the amp-hour rating of the batteries. A back of the envelope power/energy calculation would be something like the following:

Watts=Amps*Volts

If you have eight 6-V batteries rated at 225 amp-hours, then you would have approximately 10.8 kWhs of energy. A good estimate of power usage is probably about 200 watts per mile. Could be different depending on driving habits/hills/weight on the cart, etc. Therefore you could do something like 54 miles on a full charge. Your mileage may vary ;-) Draining the batteries repeatedly will impact battery life. Ask about the batteries.

This thread isn't about carbon footprints, although it's an interesting subject and deserves a thread of its own.
This thread is asking for our opinions on what type of electric golf card we'd recommend - I think the Columbia Par Car has the best range.

03-12-2015, 01:55 PM
Let's stay on the original topic where the OP was asking about opinions on electric golf cart brands.

A number of posts were removed when it turned into a personal debate on carbon footprint and electricity usage.

Thank you,

Hacker1
03-12-2015, 09:52 PM
We bought our Columbia Par Car in 2007 and still love it. We've never come close to running out of charge.

Ditto for our Star Cart, bought new in 2010.
Both Par Car and Star are excellent electric golf carts, made by companies who specialize in electric. We chose the Star because we were able to purchase it for less money, and my wife found it more comfortable and easier to steer than the Par Car.

iminfl
05-18-2015, 03:36 PM
Normally if someone asks about types of new carts to look at I recommend checking out the EZGO (based on what I have heard).

It is none of my business of course, but I am curious why you are moving away from the EZGO. I assume it is the 2011 AC drive? Does the pack have 4 or 6 batteries?

Sorry I cannot help with what cart to buy, mine are both 2002 Club Cars. I consider them new :jester:

I own a 2010 Yamaha electric and a 2015 EZ GO electric and the EZ GO drive system is far superior to the Yamaha that has 8, 6 volt batteries

cavalier65
05-29-2015, 08:46 AM
We bought a 2015 EZGO electric from Advantage and are very pleased. The range is excellent and enables us to go anywhere in TV, plus play golf on the same charge. Maintenance is minimal, just occasionally fill the batteries water level. Less noise and smell than gas.:coolsmiley:

brooksey649
06-07-2015, 09:24 AM
The ParCar seems to get the best range and the best warranty

JoMar
06-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Star has a 5 year battery warranty, Par Car doesn't. Par Car is a solid feel, Star less so. We have both and we use them for different applications. The Star is used for golf and I drive that one......55 miles is not an issue on range. The Par is my wife's cart and and has never had an issue but her travel distances rarely exceed the box between LSL and Brownwood. Not sure there is a bad choice out there, just individual likes and economic choices.

rjm1cc
06-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Not true if you maintain the batteries properly. My last set of batteries were 5 years old and I still would get 40-45 miles on a charge. I replaced them because 2 batteries developed bad cells, so I replaced all 8 batteries.:wave::crap2:

Batteries (6 8 volt) a little over two years old.Might be a slight drop in performance from new but I can still get to 19+ miles per hour which is what I could do when new. Fill with water every month and charge over night each day. Use under 10 miles per day.

rubicon
06-07-2015, 07:43 PM
I believe Club Car has an excellent electric cart especially the old DS Series. I own a Precedent

I have 6 x 8v Powertron a little over 4 years old that still hold a good charge. I keep them properly maintained and clean off the contacts but don't want to push my luck.

I can't bring myself to switch to gas. To convert my electric cart to gas would cost $2,000 I have a solar panel but suspect it may just add a little extra trickle. I looked at lithium and found a company with a branch in Tampa that wanted $690 per 8 volt battery. The lithium charger was $400 but they stated could use current one available. I looked at AC motors but the increased costs didn't seem to justify the purchase. I looked at Trojan Ranger and may purchase 6 within the next week or so and see if that satisfies my needs

RickeyD
06-08-2015, 05:46 AM
Let's stay on the original topic where the OP was asking about opinions on electric golf cart brands.

A number of posts were removed when it turned into a personal debate on carbon footprint and electricity usage.

Thank you,

I reduced my carbon footprint by having no more kids ! Now I can enjoy my leaded fuel '63 Vette with a clean conscience.

Jimbo120
06-08-2015, 06:51 AM
I would recommend you consider a Starr cart. I purchased mine two years ago for $9500 and it is the ss model with a flip down rearseat, upgraded cover , dashboard, wheels, and eight 6 V batteries. My true comfort range is 50 miles.
Whatever you buy I would recommend you add a Desulfonater which increases the life of your battery by not allowing sulfate to build up on the cells. I think I paid about $40 for mine and it is a snap to Install.
The star also has a higher roof that makes it easy for you to get in and out but not as high as a parr car

friendly11
07-15-2015, 01:43 PM
I have a 3 year old Star EV cart. The range is unbelievable compared to the club car I had before. I bought the cart by Tomberline but they went out of business and the company took over the store. Now they are located on 466 past Rolling Acers Rd. My batteries where not too good anymore and they replaced my 8- 6volt batteries at no charge because Tomberline was supposed to put Trojans in and they did not. Now that is what I call customer service. The workers there are very nice. :BigApplause:

RLASTAR
07-22-2015, 03:39 PM
Why are you selling it when only a few years old?

RLASTAR
07-22-2015, 03:53 PM
Why are you selling the 2011 E Z Go electric as it's only 4 years old?

Arctic Fox
07-22-2015, 04:57 PM
It was also recommended to get a "Battery Minder" trickle charger in addition to a regular charge type device. I was told that if one drive less than 15 miles per day, to use to trickle charger to recharge the batteries.

Sorry to be off original topic, but...

I asked batteryMinder how best to use the device and they said to always use the proper charger to recharge the batteries, then use the batteryMinder

I had been doing what was mentioned above, and was concerned that my batteryMinders were very hot (when recharging; not when trickle charging)