PDA

View Full Version : old dog new tricks

benj
06-27-2008, 02:05 AM
Ok I admit it , I'm a computer idiot. I was spoiled, my wife did everything on the computer for me. Now I'm widowed and trying to drag myself into the 21st century. So I found this site and I'm trying to figure out what a thread is and also what a sticky thing is. Also since I'm new do I have to post stuff in the new members area only? And lastly how do you guys put the states you lived in under the line at the bottom of your responses? Oh and thank GOD for spell check.

nONIE
06-27-2008, 02:14 AM
Benj,

Please dont feel badly, you have met your match! I dont know what a sticky is either???

I was too embarassed to admit it and I am NOT new to this board. Oh Yea, and I really need to learn to use spell check. I know how, just too lazy!!

redwitch
06-27-2008, 02:27 AM
Sticky -- Posts made by administrators that are permanent. They are used to let you know about things. No responses are needed.

Thread -- A post made by one person and it's responses. This is a thread.

You are free to post wherever you like. Just try to make your topic fit the forum.

Click on your name and it will pull up your profile; click on "Forum Profile Information"; fill out whatever portions you choose to. The "signature" is where you put your cities, etc.

Hope this helps. And, Nonie, don't you DARE start using spell check -- some of your misspellings are the best -- volumptuous says so much more about our bodies than voluptuous.

nONIE
06-27-2008, 02:30 AM
Red,
Thanks, I think! 1rnfl 1rnfl 1rnfl

Just Susan
06-27-2008, 02:38 AM
Okay Benj, with my current avatar I figured it was appropriate to answer an old dog's questions.
1. A thread is a Topic within a specific Forum...like the Non Villages Discussion, that is a Forum. A "thread" within that Forum is "Never Ending Story" Basically a thread is a topic within a forum.

2. A Sticky is a thread that stays permanently above the threads of a particular forum. The sticky's are there so that they don't get lost. They are always up top so that people can access them when needed.

3. As a new member you can up to your 1th post, post in the new members area...but you and post wherever you choose. ( However we girls prefer you stay out of the Feminine Forum. Hopefully it is boring for guys there anyway)

4. To list your states or whatever on your user profile, go to "User CP next to your name at the top of this site. Then click on Forum Profile Information on the left of your User page. On the right, next to the word Signature there is a box. Type your states in that box, click change profile at the bottom and then go back out to the Forum and see if you did it right. Keep trying til you do or ask for help again.

Congratulations on venturing out on your own into the world of technology. There are quite a few of us on this forum who are here for you whenever you need help.

benj
06-27-2008, 03:43 AM
Thanks redwitch susan and tom, already made the change. What are you guys doing up this late? Even though I'm also the woman of the house now, cleaning toilets doing the wash cooking etc I'll stay off the lady's forum but I did grow a pony tail and when I'm doing house work I call myself Bennita. You lady's need a better union, the pay sucks. Benj