PDA

View Full Version : cost of birdcage

johudd
06-29-2008, 02:50 AM
We will be moving to the TV as soon as we sell our home. Love the lanai but would like to add a bird cage - any idea the typical cost to add a bird cage????

johudd
06-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Any ballpark $$$

dgammon6
06-30-2008, 03:43 PM
We just received a quote for what we want done. Cage will be 4 x 48 & 12 x 19. Hard to explain, but a lot depends on height of foundation. Our quote is $11,500.00 from Corban Construction.

villages07
06-30-2008, 04:12 PM
dg...

can you expand on the scope of work?

Is it "just" concrete foundation, birdcage frame, screening, and sprinkler relocation? anything more (like concrete walls or acrylic windows?)

That just seems like a lot of $$ for concrete, screening, and aluminum framing for approx 420 sq ft ($27/sq ft).

A lot of folks use T&D concrete for birdcage additions...have you called them or anyone else for a competing bid?

We are also contemplating extending the lanai with a screened birdcage later this summer and are interested in hearing yours and other folks experiences and recommendations.

Thanks for sharing...

Mikeod
06-30-2008, 04:31 PM
I just had an extension to my lanai done by T&D. I added a 10X30 pad with cage connecting to an existing cage over my spa. Total cost was $7300. I was very happy with the work done. The project went quickly from beginning to end with no delays. Workmen were professional and helpful. They cleaned up every day. The office staff was helpful and answered all questions and concerns.
Mike

dgammon6
06-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Our bid includes moving sprinklers, landscaping, digging the footing, laying block, bring in fill, pouring slab, adding stucco to outside, painting, and building the cage. T & D will be doing the concrete and screen work.

We haven't decided to do it yet because I thought it was a little high. I'd love to get another estimate.

downeaster
07-01-2008, 12:50 AM
We have an apples and oranges situation here. The only way you can get an intelligent estimate is to have at least three bids on the job that you want done. There are too many variables to do it otherwise.
I just had T & D give me a price on expanding my lanai and pouring a patio. If I told you what their bid was it would not be helpfull to you.
I liked T& D but they couldn't do what I wanted.
We decided to go whole hog and expand our family room and lanai by four feet across the back of the house. We got three bids. One was way out of line and the other two were within one hundred dollars of each other. We selected Corban based on our neighbor's experience with them.

DC

kyblue
07-01-2008, 05:33 PM
We were thinking of putting a bird cage on our courtyard villa - and from what I am reading - it looks like the sprinklers are "Moved". Can anyone tell me how that works - or if this is true?

JohnN
07-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I've read $25/square foot is a reasonable estimate, depending on what you have done, of course you can either beat or exceed that. I think it's a good number for estimating though

kasey
07-29-2008, 06:21 PM
We have an apples and oranges situation here. The only way you can get an intelligent estimate is to have at least three bids on the job that you want done. There are too many variables to do it otherwise.
I just had T & D give me a price on expanding my lanai and pouring a patio. If I told you what their bid was it would not be helpfull to you.
I liked T& D but they couldn't do what I wanted.
We decided to go whole hog and expand our family room and lanai by four feet across the back of the house. We got three bids. One was way out of line and the other two were within one hundred dollars of each other. We selected Corban based on our neighbor's experience with them.

DC

jeffy
08-04-2008, 10:11 PM
We were thinking of putting a bird cage on our courtyard villa - and from what I am reading - it looks like the sprinklers are "Moved". Can anyone tell me how that works - or if this is true?

Pretty much every home here has a inground sprinkler system. It has water lines running about 12 inches below the ground. If where they are going to add a slab to install a birdcage, etc, would cover these lines or sprinkler heads, it is a relative easy operation to move them. I have relocated several of mine on my own. It is VERY easy to dig in the sand down here and Loews, Home Depot , Ace, has a large selection of parts.

jeffy

BamaGal
11-17-2008, 11:21 AM
we recently had acrylic windows, concrete and birdcage installed. we used jammie stevens construction..I was very happy with their workmanship and cost. our neighbors were pleased with his work also and signed with him...

Barefoot
11-17-2008, 09:58 PM
12 x 16 birdcage, approximately $4900.

12 x 21 birdcage, approximately $5900.

GMONEY
11-18-2008, 05:44 AM
Our bid includes moving sprinklers, landscaping, digging the footing, laying block, bring in fill, pouring slab, adding stucco to outside, painting, and building the cage. T & D will be doing the concrete and screen work.

We haven't decided to do it yet because I thought it was a little high. I'd love to get another estimate.

If you got the quote from Corban, most likely Corban will do all the concrete work themselves as they have their own finishers. Find it hard that Corban would give you a quote for T&D work. However, funnier things have happend. T&D is your best bet, They work with The Villages and they will make sure you got all permits and the ARC is aware of what changes are taking place. You must contact the ARC and get your site plan approved. T&D will cover all that with you or submitt it themselves.

villages07
11-18-2008, 08:13 AM
As you'll see earlier in this thread, we were planning to do a birdcage extension earlier this summer. Well, after getting several bids we did go ahead with the project and used T&D Concrete. Their cost was in line with others and their reputation unmatched. They did a great job.

The one hint I would offer....when getting prices, ask them to price out the paint finish separately. T&D uses the heavy acrylic paint with knockdown finish (like you see around pool decks). This was going to be about $3/sq ft for our project. Instead, we went with Amy Newsom, who does the driveway/lanai/garage concrete staining (with designs and borders) for a cost of $1.55/sq ft. So, it was considerably less expensive and has a much more custom look.

Barefoot
11-18-2008, 07:54 PM
As you'll see earlier in this thread, we were planning to do a birdcage extension earlier this summer. Well, after getting several bids we did go ahead with the project and used T&D Concrete. Their cost was in line with others and their reputation unmatched. They did a great job.

The one hint I would offer....when getting prices, ask them to price out the paint finish separately. T&D uses the heavy acrylic paint with knockdown finish (like you see around pool decks). This was going to be about $3/sq ft for our project. Instead, we went with Amy Newsom, who does the driveway/lanai/garage concrete staining (with designs and borders) for a cost of $1.55/sq ft. So, it was considerably less expensive and has a much more custom look.

Seven always has the very best information!

I've seen Amy Newsom's work and it is beautiful. I'm planning to use her for my birdcage floor.

novelchick
01-03-2009, 01:35 PM
we added a huge birdcage for $9,000 because we put a pool in. Was it worth it? You bet!!! nothing like sitting outside and enjoying the lanai/birdcage and no bugs/lovebugs getting in and eating, entertaining outside!! Investment we definitely are glad we did. Good luck.