PDA

View Full Version : Villages have DSL?

livsea2
06-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Do the villages, especially the older sections north of 466 have DSL available? It's not a deal breaker but I would prefer DSL and it will enter my thinking when selecting a resale.
Thanks for any help!

travelstiles
06-29-2008, 04:02 PM
We live in Virginia Trace (just south of LSL) and have DSL through Embarq. In NY we had Optimum Online, but the 3.0 speed DSL seems to work just fine for us here. For a little more money you can get 5.0 as well. We have a bundle with DSL, phone and dish:
http://www.embarq.com/Residential/InternetAccess/HighSpeedInternet?pid=p_15365302

Hancle704
06-29-2008, 04:18 PM
We have a bundle with DSL, phone and dish:

Have you noticed any service problems with your Satellite TV pictures during rainy weather. I have heard from a friend who is sick of the service interruptions that last anywhere from minutes to hours with his TV reception during rainy weather.

Just curious as I was thinking of installing the package and saying goodbye to Comcast's annual increases.

One last question, what will happen next February when broadcasters will be required to switch to digital programming. Will you have to switch out every box you now have from Embarq for your TVs?

travelstiles
06-29-2008, 04:27 PM
We've had occasional interruptions (2 or 3 since January when we moved in) but not many - even during this past week with all the lightning. None lasted more than a few minutes, with a reboot.
Not sure about the whole conversion thing, but recall the service rep who installled it indicating that everything was compatible for 2009. Embarq's phone service dept is very helpful and they have an informative website as well, so I'd suggest giving them a call to confirm.

aln
06-29-2008, 04:28 PM
I live in Mira Mesa (about 15 years old), and we have Embarq DSL & DirecTV.
Very happy with both services.
YES there are interruptions on TV during rain but on the other hand, I had them up north in WIS during rain & SNOW.
Most outages I experience are 15 minutes or LESS. Usually at the height (peak) of the downpour.
Never had any interuption in DSL.

livsea2
06-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I pay $29.99 a month here in Delaware for Verizon 3.0mb DSL. But an extra $10 is well worth it (still cheaper than cable and not shared bandwidth) sure beats dial up! Thanks again folks. :bigthumbsup:

downeaster
07-01-2008, 01:28 AM
One last question, what will happen next February when broadcasters will be required to switch to digital programming. Will you have to switch out every box you now have from Embarq for your TVs?
[/quote]

I believe the only ones that will require a "box" are those who have antennas, rabbit ears etc. Cable and satellite should be OK. Having said that, better check with your provider.

DC

livsea2
07-01-2008, 11:00 AM
No you will not have to change set top boxes. The change to digital next February only affects those that get their TV reception "over the air". That is if there's anyone left that does get reception straight over the air.

Russ_Boston
07-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Most outages I experience are 15 minutes or LESS. Usually at the height (peak) of the downpour.

15 minutes? I don't watch a lot of tv but most of it i record on my DVR. How the heck can you sit down to watch a show on DVR and lose 15 minutes (or even 1 minute) and still know what the heck is going on? Probably even worse if it was a sports event. Just imagine "Pierce sets, shoots for the win and" snooooooooooowwwwwwwww. "What a shot folks did you ever see anything like that?" No actually I didn't!

Give me cable despite it's shortcomings at least it's available all the time. OK I've lost maybe 2 or 3 minutes in 15 years.