PDA

View Full Version : Internet providers

velcro
03-19-2015, 05:21 PM
I have had it with Cxxxxxt. Rude , do nothing to help, weak signal. HELP ME, Can anyone help me? Who else is there?

Also, does anyone have Direct TV & how do you like them?

dbussone
03-19-2015, 05:26 PM
I dumped Comcast and went with BrightHouse 1.5 years ago. Best move I could have made. No problems, good service, and excellent Internet.

Schneil
03-19-2015, 05:35 PM
I have Brighthouse, in Hillsborough, absolutely no signal trouble, etc.
Good Luck and enjoy The Villages

velcro
03-19-2015, 05:51 PM
Thanks for getting back so fast. Just so we are talking apples to apples, do you mind telling me what mbps & how much per month & how long is your contract.

dbussone
03-19-2015, 06:21 PM
Thanks for getting back so fast. Just so we are talking apples to apples, do you mind telling me what mbps & how much per month & how long is your contract.

I do not have a bill handy; however I,have the second fastest Internet service and have no trouble streaming to my TV. You do not have to have a contract with BrightHouse and they will guarantee their rates for two years without a contract.

N44125
03-19-2015, 06:48 PM
Brighthouse...are they only available south of 466a?

dbussone
03-19-2015, 07:13 PM
Brighthouse...are they only available south of 466a?

I believe so, and have no plans to go north of 466A.

velcro
03-19-2015, 08:17 PM
I am south of 466A so that works but would still like to know what speeds people are using with BrightHouse? All along I was thinking it was my computer but I just picked up a new Mac Book Pro & it didn't solve the problem or even help. So after talking to some friends in TV I know it's time to switch. Thing is I don,t want to go through the exercise & find out it is no better then Comcast

Also,does anyone use Direct TV for there TV service & how do you like it or not?

Thanks for your input.

CFrance
03-19-2015, 09:46 PM
Can't help you with the internet part, but we have had DirecTV for over a decade and absolutely love it. Brilliant picture, the Genie system that works great, NFL Ticket not available anywhere else, and Extra Innings for baseball. Also something for hockey. It occasionally goes out in a storm for a few minutes, but you can switch to non HD and get it back. However, it's never stayed out long enough for us to do that.

And their customer service is excellent.

We had Brighthouse on Anna Maria Island in a winter rental once for internet and TV and thought it was great. Can't answer your speed question, though.

JoMar
03-19-2015, 10:16 PM
I am south of 466A so that works but would still like to know what speeds people are using with BrightHouse? All along I was thinking it was my computer but I just picked up a new Mac Book Pro & it didn't solve the problem or even help. So after talking to some friends in TV I know it's time to switch. Thing is I don,t want to go through the exercise & find out it is no better then Comcast

Also,does anyone use Direct TV for there TV service & how do you like it or not?

Thanks for your input.

Brighthouse delivering 100mbs plus south of 466A
a

Seacoast1
03-19-2015, 10:30 PM
We have Direct TV here in TV and also in NH. Love it. Good service. Good movies. More channels for same price as Comcast. We have a remote box on our kitchen TV so we can move it to the lanai or even outdoors. Check it out online.

kellyjam
03-20-2015, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE=velcro;1031379]I am south of 466A so that works but would still like to know what speeds people are using with BrightHouse? All along I was thinking it was my computer but I just picked up a new Mac Book Pro & it didn't solve the problem or even help. So after talking to some friends in TV I know it's time to switch. Thing is I don,t want to go through the exercise & find out it is no better then Comcast

Thanks for your input.

I live south of 466A and had Brighthouse internet and phone for $55 a month. Had numerous problems with internet dropping constantly. Switched to Ooma for phone and called Brighthouse but they would not reduce bill so I would still have to pay $55 for 15mps. Went to Comcast and got 50mps guaranteed for 1 year at $39.99 no contract. Been very happy with speeds. Also have Directv here and in NY. In NY for 12 years in TV 2 years.

velcro
03-20-2015, 06:06 PM
Now that,s what I,m talking about. Two internet providers with no contract. I didn't know Comcast would do a no contract deal. But I,m still getting rid of them, just on principal. Seems like Direct TV is the way to go. I called them & they have a special deal if you were not a previous customer which I am not. Plus Mr France I like that I can get my Giants & Rangers on it. Kellyjam if I needed a house phone I would definitely give the Ompaloomas a call ! Please keep the input coming, more input more choices.

CFrance
03-20-2015, 06:51 PM
It's Mrs. France the football/baseball fanatic. And I guarantee you'll like DirecTV! You might even get a deal on NFL Ticket as a new customer. They have been known to run a special on that. Enjoy.

tomwed
03-20-2015, 06:58 PM
If all I want is fast internet to watch netflix and youtube and I live near Brownwood, who should I get.
I now have Comcast but I'm not too happy.

dbussone
03-20-2015, 06:59 PM
If all I want is fast internet to watch netflix and youtube and I live near Brownwood, who should I get.

BrightHouse

tomwed
03-20-2015, 07:06 PM
BrightHouse
How much does it cost just for fast internet and what what is the speed? I should have included that in my earlier post.

dbussone
03-20-2015, 08:01 PM
I believe I'm paying $45/month for 100mbs. Don't hold me to the price - I don't have a bill to go by.

velcro
03-20-2015, 09:38 PM
Please accept my apologizes Mrs. France you know what THEY say about people who assume, unfortunately I just assumed. I too am fanatical about my teams, so I will push for that NFL Package. & thanks for the heads up.

John_W
03-20-2015, 09:40 PM
I've had Directv since 2008. I'm a Ravens fan and live full time in TV and have never missed a Ravens game on TV. If it wasn't for NFL Sunday Ticket then I wouldn't be able to say that. I'm not into going to bars to watch my team or to cheer with other fans. If you're not a football fan or if you're into spending only $80 or so a month on TV then go with Brighthouse. If you like the NFL and want 150 HD channels and want a DVR (Genie) that can hold a 1000 hours and records 5 programs at once, then go with Directv, you get what you pay for. Even if you just a little bit of an NFL fan, on Sunday at 4:00 and you're only games on channel 6 and 35 to choose from is either Tampa Bay or Jacksonville and you know Green Bay and Dallas is on somewhere, then you need NFL Sunday Ticket.

I have the Premiere package which means I have everything, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, TMC and Encore, plus the HD tier. Which is Sony, MGM, HDNet and a few others, which gives me about 50 commercial free movie channels in HD. I also have the internet hookup and can watch thousands of titles free from their library. Basically I can never watch all that I record, I have Netflix and haven't looked at that in two months. My bill runs about $150 a month, of course it goes up during football season but I also call and negotiate at times and usually they give me something, they are very flexible.

I've been with Century Link since 2011 and have landline home phone and internet. I have the two together with 10 mpbs speed, which I think is the highest Century Link offers in TV, and home phone with caller ID, call block and unlimited long distance. The Directv bill for everything is $59.99 a month, with tax it's $79, Florida is high on tax. In almost four years my internet has never been down, so I really can't help you with info on service since I've never needed it. I also only signed on initially for 12 months, that was 4 years ago so I'm pretty sure I don't have a contract and my rate and service has never changed. My Netflix works fine, so no problem with the speed.

CFrance
03-20-2015, 09:54 PM
Please accept my apologizes Mrs. France you know what THEY say about people who assume, unfortunately I just assumed. I too am fanatical about my teams, so I will push for that NFL Package. & thanks for the heads up.
Quite all right!:thumbup:

tuccillo
03-21-2015, 12:05 AM
You need a sustained 3-4 Megabits/sec for highdef Netflix. Pretty much anyone can provide that.

tuccillo
03-21-2015, 12:12 AM
If you live in an area that has fiber to the house you can get 40 and 100 megabits/sec download with CenturyLink. If you are willing to make a few phone calls then I believe you may be able to get 1000 megabits/sec (1 gigabit/sec).

I've had Directv since 2008. I'm a Ravens fan and live full time in TV and have never missed a Ravens game on TV. If it wasn't for NFL Sunday Ticket then I wouldn't be able to say that. I'm not into going to bars to watch my team or to cheer with other fans. If you're not a football fan or if you're into spending only $80 or so a month on TV then go with Brighthouse. If you like the NFL and want 150 HD channels and want a DVR (Genie) that can hold a 1000 hours and records 5 programs at once, then go with Directv, you get what you pay for. Even if you just a little bit of an NFL fan, on Sunday at 4:00 and you're only games on channel 6 and 35 to choose from is either Tampa Bay or Jacksonville and you know Green Bay and Dallas is on somewhere, then you need NFL Sunday Ticket.

I have the Premiere package which means I have everything, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, TMC and Encore, plus the HD tier. Which is Sony, MGM, HDNet and a few others, which gives me about 50 commercial free movie channels in HD. I also have the internet hookup and can watch thousands of titles free from their library. Basically I can never watch all that I record, I have Netflix and haven't looked at that in two months. My bill runs about $150 a month, of course it goes up during football season but I also call and negotiate at times and usually they give me something, they are very flexible.

I've been with Century Link since 2011 and have landline home phone and internet. I have the two together with 10 mpbs speed, which I think is the highest Century Link offers in TV, and home phone with caller ID, call block and unlimited long distance. The Directv bill for everything is $59.99 a month, with tax it's $79, Florida is high on tax. In almost four years my internet has never been down, so I really can't help you with info on service since I've never needed it. I also only signed on initially for 12 months, that was 4 years ago so I'm pretty sure I don't have a contract and my rate and service has never changed. My Netflix works fine, so no problem with the speed.

tuccillo
03-21-2015, 12:23 AM
You may be able to save some money on your CenturyLink bill. I pay $46/month for 40 megabits/sec download including the router lease and all taxes/fees. I use a voice-over-IP phone (Ooma) that runs an additional $3.50/month (taxes and 911 fee).

John_W
03-21-2015, 09:06 AM
You may be able to save some money on your CenturyLink bill. I pay $46/month for 40 megabits/sec download including the router lease and all taxes/fees. I use a voice-over-IP phone (Ooma) that runs an additional $3.50/month (taxes and 911 fee).

I live just off St. Charles and my internet connection they call it 'to the curb'. I don't have modem, my computer or router plug directly into a wall jack. I've thought about dropping the landline but I guess we all get spoiled by the convenience. I'll may check into faster service someday, but as I stated, I really have no problem with speed even when watching movies on Neflix.

velcro
03-21-2015, 10:38 AM
I did away with my land line a while back. The only reason I kept it was for Faxes. Now with my new Handy Dandy IPhone 6+ just take a picture of your documents and email it or message it. Turns out, it becomes a legal document same as a fax. What a country, I,m never going back!

NIPAS K-9
03-21-2015, 11:17 AM
Can't help you with the internet part, but we have had DirecTV for over a decade and absolutely love it. Brilliant picture, the Genie system that works great, NFL Ticket not available anywhere else, and Extra Innings for baseball. Also something for hockey. It occasionally goes out in a storm for a few minutes, but you can switch to non HD and get it back. However, it's never stayed out long enough for us to do that.

And their customer service is excellent.

We had Brighthouse on Anna Maria Island in a winter rental once for internet and TV and thought it was great. Can't answer your speed question, though.
Direct Tv and Internet GREAT......... never any problems. Guess depends on where u are in the villages.

Nipper
03-21-2015, 11:44 AM
LOVE Direct TV. Some people don't like it because it can go out during heavy rain. However, we record so many shows --- we just watch them and wait for the rain to end. Good customer service. Not missing C$$$C*###*

velcro
03-26-2015, 12:07 PM
Just thought I would do a quick up date.
I am going with Direct TV for my TV package & with Noncast for internet. I know I said never again for Noncast but that was for my TV package & they gave me what I wanted for internet with no phone. .DTV for $49.99 & Noncast internet for $39.99
Don't want to go into a blow by blow description or bore you with the ugly details but it was a knock down drag out fight.

Thanks For all the input.