PDA

View Full Version : Book Review

beady
07-07-2008, 11:46 PM
I just wanted to share a terrific book that I just read with you all. :bigthumbsup:

"The Senators Wife" by Sue Miller. I read it in 2 days cause I just couldn't put it down. Sue Miller is a master in characterization. It is a story of a young 28ish newly married woman who buys 1/2 of a duplex in a New England college town. Her neighbor in the other half of the house is a late 60ish estranged wife of a US Senator. Their lives become entwined and the story is told from both their perspectives. Great read.

Anyone read anything lately that they would like to recommend?

renielarson
07-08-2008, 12:00 AM
I used to be an avid reader but the older I get I swear I'm developing ADD. I can't sit still very long let along read.

I miss my books!

beady
07-08-2008, 03:45 AM
I read on average a boo a week. I keep those library books circulating...and Barnes and Noble in business. :bigthumbsup:

sundermann
07-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Senator's Wife sounds good - I'll put it on my list. I'm just going to start Ken Follett's World Without End. I really liked his Pillars of the Earth, so I'm looking forward to the sequel. I'm also hoping to read Amy Tan's new book since it's listed as the August Book Club selection. I'm so anxious to move to TV - joining Book Clubs will be my first activity! Someone told me that sometimes neighborhoods also have book clubs...any knowledge of that? My husband and I are renting in Sunset Pointe Aug and Sept. while we house hunt.

Oh, another title - A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian. This is a very interesting book (don't let the title turn you off). It was recommended by a close friend from Australia who says it's considered the "must-read" down there - I was not all that taken with it, which was surprising since our reading tastes are usually about the same. It's about sisters whose widowed father (who's quite a character) marries a young "gold digger." I will admit it is one of the most unusual books I've ever read.

Lil Dancer
07-12-2008, 10:34 AM
I read a book a week too, Beady. If anyone likes mysteries, I'm reading a good one from the library: Devil's peak, by Deon Meyer. Its a murder mystery written from 3 perspectives - the detective investigating the case who is an alcoholic,and how he is dealing with the issues of alcoholism; the killer and his issues; and a single mother who happens to be a prostitute, and her issues. It has great character development, and the story line is quite compelling.

Taltarzac
07-12-2008, 12:55 PM
I read a book a week too, Beady. If anyone likes mysteries, I'm reading a good one from the library: Devil's peak, by Deon Meyer. Its a murder mystery written from 3 perspectives - the detective investigating the case who is an alcoholic,and how he is dealing with the issues of alcoholism; the killer and his issues; and a single mother who happens to be a prostitute, and her issues. It has great character development, and the story line is quite compelling.

I will have to check out this author, Lil Dancer. Never heard of him before. http://www.deonmeyer.com/

Boomer
07-12-2008, 02:15 PM
I really like the idea of a thread titled "Book Review." There are book reviews scattered around TOTV, but they are hard to access after the first time they are read.

Thanks for starting this up.

Beady, I saw your rec. when you first wrote it, but I had to look around for it when I wanted to take another look. Then I found it in the "Feminine Forum."

And I know there is that whole chick lit genre sort of thing. But this started me wondering if maybe book reviews could hitch a ride into the general audience forum. "Non-Villages" maybe. I suspect there are lots of readers here at TOTV.

Oh no. Now here I am trying to move things into straight rows!!!! I never try to move anything into straight rows around here.

So anyway, I really like to read book reviews from people on here. So thanks. And I am going to leave for the day now. I do not like it when I start to try to organize other people. My goodness. I am retired now.

(But secretly I think a book review forum might be nice. That way it would not be one long thread, but it could have its own threads within and have titles or genres or whatever and then it would be easy to access those book reviews according to your own thing. Or maybe by the month. Or whatever. But don't tell the admins. They have enough to do. But just think about it. And maybe a bookstore would buy an ad. But please don't tell the admins I am trying to organize anything. OK?)

Boomer the Librarian :read:

Lil Dancer
07-14-2008, 01:05 AM
Boomer, I think that's a great idea. I feel the same way about the book review threads. they seem to end up in all sorts of weird places, then when I'm ready to go check books out, i can't seem to find the thread where the recommendations were!

You are not organizing us, by the way. You're just making an excellent suggestion that will ultimately save us time and make life easier for us.

Boomer
07-14-2008, 01:18 AM
Hi Dancer,

It's here. It happened last night it looks like. An entire forum just for books and another new one for movies. "Talk of the Books" and "Talk of the Movies" and the admins gathered in the older stuff, too. And got the books and movies all organized.

Thanks admins.

Boomer :read:

tony
07-14-2008, 01:55 AM
I was searching for book posts to move to the new forum and found this one tonight.

Let's leave it here as a beacon, and check the new Talk of the Books forum at
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/smf/index.php/board,358.0.html

and Talk of the Movies forum at
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/smf/index.php/board,359.0.html

(And thanks for the suggestion here, Boomer.)

Lil Dancer
07-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Boomer, thanks for getting this moving, and Tony - thanks for getting it done!

Best Mom
07-14-2008, 08:25 PM
I loved "Three Cups Of Tea" by Greg Mortenson. I posted this in our new Book thread. Yes-thanks Tony.