PDA

View Full Version : PC vs. Mac

jblum315
03-31-2015, 04:24 AM
My 5-yr-old Dell desktop PC is showing its age. I'm thinking I should replace it with a Mac. I've used one, touchpads and stuff, at my kids' houses and I think I can manage the learning curve.
BUT is it true that they cost twice as much as PCs? Will I have to buy a lot of software? Does it come with a basic office program? Will I really love it?

JGVillages
03-31-2015, 06:18 AM
Changed from PC to Mac 5 years ago and will never go back. Prices are a bit higher but the ease of use and quality control make it a no brainer. There is a great Mac club here and if you decide to switch. They can support you through the transition and beyond. By the way their customer support is in the USA and they speak fluid English!

Avista
03-31-2015, 06:42 AM
Also, go to David A Cox's videos on pc classes online. These are free tutorials. There is an excellent one on going from Windows to Apple.
:
http://pcclassesonline.com Go to: Learn the Mac in 90 minutes Yosimate Edition

fred53
03-31-2015, 07:29 AM
The learning curve is very small...when you buy from an Apple store they offer free lessons...ms office has apple compatibles...while there are viruses for iMacs in 6 years I've never had a problem and it hasn't slowed down in the least...

Love2Swim
03-31-2015, 07:32 AM
I switched about 8 years ago. My IMac is still running strong with no problems. I think it is a quality product worth the higher price. I especially like that it is less vulnerable to viruses and malware than PC's. When I recently bought an iPad it came with free office software, so I assume that's the case for an apple computer.

Virginians
03-31-2015, 08:03 AM
A 5-yr-old Dell desktop PC is not old based on your needs. I left windows 12 years ago. With the same PC I wiped the hard drive clean and installed a linux operating system. The cost was zero.

Thousands of free software availible. I recently bought a refurbished dell desktop for $220.00 and installed linux mint. I have photo software, office suite etc better than windows all free.

Anyone interested I would be glad to show you my system and help you install linux on your old PC.

Polar Bear
03-31-2015, 08:28 AM
I know this is not of widespread interest in TV, but how is gaming on the Mac nowadays? Has it improved at all? Any mainstream games that run native on the Mac?

MikeV
03-31-2015, 09:04 AM
Mac is the way to go.

Uberschaf
03-31-2015, 09:24 AM
I'm a gamer,still very few games for Mac's.I've been running Windows 10 Tech preview and it is a vast improvement over Windows 8.

OCsun
04-07-2015, 04:17 PM
For the second time, A five year old computer just died on me. I think it needs a "mother board". I could use a mother board myself! Lol
I am considering a Mac because I want a computer that will last longer than five years.
The new Macs I looked at don't have a disk player. I have a new wireless printer that I would want to connect. This is where I get scared. Should I buy an older model Mac that has the disc player so I can hook up my printer. Should I do what the sales person at Best Buy suggested and buy a disk player, connect it to the Mac and use the disc to install the printer? The other suggestion they made was buy their service policy then pay extra to have them come out and hook it up to my printer.
One more question - Should I pay Best Buy to copy the information on my computer to a thumb drive? Most of my pictures have been uploaded to Shutterfly.
Now you understand why I want a new mother board for my brain. :)
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

tuccillo
04-07-2015, 04:38 PM
Take a look at the refurbished Macs on the Apple webpage. They come with a regular warranty and can save you a bit of money.

My 5-yr-old Dell desktop PC is showing its age. I'm thinking I should replace it with a Mac. I've used one, touchpads and stuff, at my kids' houses and I think I can manage the learning curve.
BUT is it true that they cost twice as much as PCs? Will I have to buy a lot of software? Does it come with a basic office program? Will I really love it?

tomwed
04-07-2015, 04:47 PM
How do you use your computer?
Are you considering a laptop?
What is your budget?
Do yo like the size of your current screen? What size is it?
Will it be shared?

kellyjam
04-07-2015, 04:59 PM
I bought a new Dell Inspiron 15 inch Touch Screen 500mg HD 4g ram for $380. To get a comparable Mac with a 15 inch screen (Mac Pro) it would cost $1999.00. If I went down to a 13 inch screen Mac Air it would be $1,199.00. Only you can decide if that price differential is worth it. For me it was a no brainer.

vinricci
04-07-2015, 05:43 PM
My Son works computer tech support for a large company that uses both PCs and Macs. PC support requires 11 people for 800 end-users; Apple support 2 people for 1,200 end-users. Draw your own conclusion.

tuccillo
04-07-2015, 06:50 PM
They are hardly comparable systems. One is a Dell with 4 GBs of memory and a 500 GB harddrive and the other is a 16 GB Mac with flash storage. Macs start at a higher point because they generally come better equipped. If you tried to compare comparable systems the Mac would cost more but not by the ratio you have suggested.

I bought a new Dell Inspiron 15 inch Touch Screen 500mg HD 4g ram for $380. To get a comparable Mac with a 15 inch screen (Mac Pro) it would cost $1999.00. If I went down to a 13 inch screen Mac Air it would be $1,199.00. Only you can decide if that price differential is worth it. For me it was a no brainer.

OCsun
04-07-2015, 07:03 PM
How do you use your computer? email, pay bills, do budget spreadsheets, surf the web
Are you considering a laptop? Yes
What is your budget? $1,200
Do yo like the size of your current screen? yes but I am used to an iPad What size is it? 18 inches
Will it be shared?yes with my husband

tuccillo
04-07-2015, 07:34 PM
I have never been a big fan of laptops. I only have one (Windoze PC from my company) because of occasional business travel. The vast majority of the time it is in it's docking station and I use an external monitor, mouse, and keyboard. My wife uses a 21" iMac desktop system, iPad, and iPhone. The Apple environment works great for her as everything is synched. If your usage is generally light you may be able to get by with just an iPad.

yes with my husband

OCsun
04-08-2015, 05:23 AM
Also, go to David A Cox's videos on pc classes online. These are free tutorials. There is an excellent one on going from Windows to Apple.
:
Home - PCClassesOnline (http://pcclassesonline.com) Go to: Learn the Mac in 90 minutes Yosimate Edition

Watching this class was just what I needed to help me make my decision. Great recommendation.

Thanks to everyone who took time to respond to my questions. I really appreciate all of your advice. This site and people like you build my confidence when I am feeling confused. :BigApplause:

Northerner52
04-08-2015, 06:07 AM
I mostly have purchased Apple refurb. Same 1 year warranty and less expensive. May not be the latest and greatest but always happy with them. They are mostly returns. Always look brand new.

Refurbished and Clearance iPod, iPad & Mac Products - Free Shipping - Apple Store (U.S.) (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals)

Beachdad
05-31-2015, 06:00 PM
We go to one of The Apple Stores in Orlando every 3-6 months or so and find it to be well worth the trip. We always learn something new at Apple. Used to work on PCs and have to say, once you go mac, you never go back. Currently using a 2008 imac. When we buy a new one, we would either buy an external disc drive or we would wait and see if the next release added back the disc drive. Regarding Best Buy, we really wish we would have asked to see their WRITTEN return policies and restocking fees before spending any money there. We will never go back to Best Buy.

Polar Bear
05-31-2015, 10:17 PM
I'm a bit of a computer gamer. If a Mac could match a PC in that regard, I'd go Mac and never come back. :)

mfp509
05-31-2015, 10:40 PM
I recently bought a MacBook Pro and love it. Well worth the extra cost.

OldManTime
06-01-2015, 06:49 AM

I have used a Mac for over 20 years, just keep in mind, you get what you pay for. Just try to think logical, and the Mac will become real easy.

:big bow: I have always said :for every 5 keystrokes on a PC, you have 1 on a Mac.

Suggestion, buy a 5 year old used Mac, I have had over 25 Mac's never new.

JoelJohnson
06-01-2015, 07:12 AM
I programmed my first computer in 1969 and have used just about every kind of computer since.

I use a Chromebook 99% of the time.

Yes - it needs to be connected to the internet ... when are you not?
Has spreadsheet --- google sheets - very compatible with Excel
Has word processor --- google docs - very compatible with Word

No - you can't use programs like Turbotax or Quicken, but you can use Turbotax online and there apps that work like Quicken.

dbanks50
06-01-2015, 09:36 AM
My iMAC is is 7 years old and has never given me any problems. I will never go back to a PC!

tomwed
06-01-2015, 11:41 AM
I programmed my first computer in 1969 and have used just about every kind of computer since.

I use a Chromebook 99% of the time.

Yes - it needs to be connected to the internet ... when are you not?
Has spreadsheet --- google sheets - very compatible with Excel
Has word processor --- google docs - very compatible with Word

No - you can't use programs like Turbotax or Quicken, but you can use Turbotax online and there apps that work like Quicken.
I agree. I don't think you need to be connected to the internet to work most of the google products any more.
https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3214688?hl=en

MikeV
07-31-2015, 05:48 PM
Mac is the way to go.

In my other working life I was a MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) for over 10 years. What ever you decide just know that as soon as I retired I bought a Mac Book Pro. That was ten years ago come this January and it still works as new. Take it from me you want a MAC even though they are more expensive they are worth it. We have 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, Apple Watch, Time Capsule Router and Back-Up System and they all work flawlessly.

tomwed
07-31-2015, 07:01 PM
yes with my husband
I haven't seen this thread in a while so I'm not sure if it's still active. I have been singing the joys of a chromebook to everyone who needs help with computers.
It's affordable and pretty hard to break.