PDA

View Full Version : Hostels vs Motels/Hotels

downeaster
07-14-2008, 02:23 PM
We enjoy travel by auto (US/Canada) and we are looking to cut accommodation expenses to help offset higher gas prices. We always pick up the coupon books at the rest areas and get pretty good prices in conventional motels. Now I am thinking of going another step and try hostels.
I know nothing about hostels. My image of them is an out of the way accommodation with minimal facilities. I am hoping some people here have some experience with them and can enlighten me.

DC

Hyacinth Bucket
07-15-2008, 02:11 AM
Hi DC,

Here is the web site for one hostel we have been to http://newpaltzhostel.com

We have stayed in many hostels and most hostels are close to the center of activities. There is a community living room or sometimes called a common room - some have pianos, stereo systems, books, games, TV, etc, a kitchen that is fully equipped so that you can prepare your own meals. At some hostels we have stayed in the local bakery and veggie market bring in food each day.

Bedrooms vary - some hostels have family or couples rooms, all have dorm rooms. Some dorm rooms are coed at some hostels and at others they are either male or female dorms. Bathrooms - some are private and some shared.

Prices vary depending on location. We go to Boston two or three times a year and have always stayed at the hostel there. The hostel got pricey for our budget and now we stay in a hotel outside of Boston. Transportation has never been an issue for us.

Who stays in hostels - people of all ages, backgrounds and countries - including the US. One young couple we met in New Hampshire, who we still email, were biking across the US. The night was to cold for them to sleep in their tent so they decided to stay in a hostel, we have met accountants, Wall Street Brokers, students, and the list goes on. Everyone we have ever met is friendly, looking to meet new people and share information.

If I recall correctly when we stayed in the hostel in San Francisco they offered inexpensive tours and also informed of who to speak with for a free walking tour. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

What do you bring - some people bring their own sheets and towels. At some hostels there is a charge for renting them. You can not sleep on the mattress. You can bring your own coffee, tea bags, etc - what ever you want to prepare. There is a refrigerator where you can place your perishable items - it is very important to put your name on your food. If not, it is considered food that all can share.

Some hostels have curfews, some are closed for a few hours during the day so that they can clean the hostel, ALL are alcohol and drug free. Basically a hostel is a clean, safe place to stay, meet other people and is not expensive.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

HB

Hyacinth Bucket
07-15-2008, 02:13 AM
Hi DC,

Here is a copy of another post that I posted in another Travel Forum topic.

Partially for business reasons we are not about to give up travelling.

In the past we have stayed in Hostels, not only in Europe but here in the states. Prices are quite reasonable, places have always been clean and neat. In many ways it is like a B & B, but not as costly. Stayed in one Hostel over looking the Pacific Ocean that had a hot tub. That was very romantic.

We have met people at various Hostels from all over the world and still correspond with them, we have slept in old converted army barracks to a hotel that was one block from Union Square in San Francisco. Hostels are not just for young people, they are for people of all ages.

When we travel abroad we now eat out less and purchase food from the local bakery, butcher, etc. then find a beautiful place to enjoy our meal. Must admit I am enjoying this more.

We just returned from a trip to the North Rim of Grand Canyon and then went to Antelope Canyon. By staying in non-tourist towns the rates for motels were less.

If you haven't logged onto Restaurant.com do so, we purchase many coupons from them and have saved money at restaurants. We wait until they have either the 50% or 60% sale on there coupon offerings.

Internet - we go to the local libraries where we are travelling and log on. Just need to find out what there guide lines are and follow them. We only have paid once using the internet in a library. At the same time we leave our read books and buy new books for very little.

The list can go on. Enjoy where ever you go.

HB

downeaster
07-15-2008, 02:24 AM
Thanks Ms. Bouquet, oops!, I mean Bucket.
Your response was very helpful.
BTW, I assume you are a "Keeping Up Appearances" fan.
Oops! again. I think I just hijacked my own thread.

DC

Hyacinth Bucket
07-15-2008, 03:07 AM
DC it is Mrs. Bouquet to you. If you stay at a hostel they may not have a white Princess phone or other things in life that I find so important, as you probably know.

As far as my TV Program is concerned - I don't think the Councilwoman would be impressed if I stayed at a hostel with Richard.

I feel at the moment I should not say more, I do not want to offend anyone.

Did you go to the website I posted? What did you think of that hostel? I believe it is rated 5 stars.

HB

downeaster
07-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks, Mrs. Bouquet. I was much impressed with the site even though there was no mention of Royal Doulton china with hand painted periwinkles.
BTW, we planning a trip in September that includes Lake George, NY, so we might look into
The New Paltz Hostel.

DC

Hyacinth Bucket
07-15-2008, 11:44 PM
If you go to the New Paltz Hostel feel free to mention my name. You may get a blank stare.
Just tell them I am the Grandmother of Pups and his cousin.

They book early, so make a reservation early if you want to go there. They can give you a lot of suggestions of what to do and how to get there.

What do you enjoy doing most?

HB

Hyacinth Bucket
07-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Thank you for addressing me properly.

The Royal Doulton china with hand painted periwinkles as you know is not for just anybody. It is only shown on special occasions to those people from the right zip codes.

HB

Thanks, Mrs. Bouquet. I was much impressed with the site even though there was no mention of Royal Doulton china with hand painted periwinkles.
BTW, we planning a trip in September that includes Lake George, NY, so we might look into
The New Paltz Hostel.

DC