PDA

View Full Version : could keeping our lawns beautiful be killing our pets?

nONIE
07-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Our adorable Granddog had to be put down today. she was only 9 years old and my daughters loyal and constant companion. It started months back when she developed cancer on her toes. The last few weeks it has been seizures getting closer and closer together.

In conversation with my daughter the subject of spraying fertilizers and weed killers on her lawn regularily thru the years came up. I suppose we will never know what actually killed our little girl but It certainly has me thinking. Are our pets really safe even walking on our lawns that are constantly treated with chemicals? This is very frightening and I am not sure how we can completely avoid contact with the grass.

poor sweet little Ashlee, RIP

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rokinronda
07-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Nonie, Oh that is so hard. I understand the pain. I had an Ashley. She lived to 17. My Bubba was only 9, cancer of the liver. I do have some weeds, but have only treated once in almost 4 years. I do not like using chemicals and really try to avoid using them. So sorry about Ashlee. It helps me that I made Bubba a special web page and I have framed pics of pets... :'( This is my online memorial for my Bubba. http://petmemorials.youns.com/memorial.asp?ID=1802

nONIE
07-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks so much for the website Ronda, That was a beautiful memorial you put out there. I will tell my daughter about it.

Barefoot
07-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Nonie, I worry about that also. Especially in TV as we back on a golf course and I'm sure they're spraying there constantly. We called and were told the spraying is completely harmless to pets. But I don't believe it.

sschuler1
07-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Nonie,

So sorry that you lost your Ashlee. Our little Vixen has cancer and is not doing well. We will have to put her down soon. She has tumors in her breasts. They told us she might not live as long because we had bred her for a few years. She is also pretty deaf. She is 14 though, so she has had a good life. Prancer is 15 and is very arthritic and almost blind. We can't get him to take the pills for his pain. We will probably put them down at the same time because he will be so unhappy if she is gone. They would never be able to make the move with us anyway, it would be too hard on them. Such a hard decision to let them go, but I know it's the right thing to do for them.

ss

renielarson
07-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Our dog was 15 and died of cancer. We were able to keep her alive for a few years giving her shark cartilage every day. But when it came to her not being able to swallow, it was time to let her go.

I'll never forget watching my hubs bringing her home from the vet euthanized. He had her in his arms with her head and back legs limply swaying as he carried her across the lawn to her resting place. A scene that is etched in my memory forever.

Rokinronda
07-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Oh Bright!!!! You made me cry! What a sad sad picture I imagined! We sure do love our babies, oh yeah and our kids, also! lol My 16 yr. old black and tan cocker span. 'Bouvier' is 100% blind and 90% deaf, but she keeps going and going and going, and her tail keeps wagging and wagging and wagging! It's still very hard that I lost her son, my bubba, at 9.

nONIE
07-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Sschuler I am so sorry that this painful task is ahead of you, they look so sweet.

Bright, I know what you mean, I have some images myself of past pets that I cant let go of.

However it happens it hurts like he**to lose a beloved pet. Their loyalty and devotion and unconditional love is totally amazing.

renielarson
07-16-2008, 09:35 PM
I have 2 cats...both 15 years old now...same age my dog died. I know they don't have much longer on this earth and I think about losing them all the time.

I have made a decision.

When they are gone...I am animal free. It's too hard to deal with their deaths because all my animals have been like children to me.

I've had enough heartbreak in my life...not only my dear beloved animals but also dear friends.

Barefoot
07-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Bright, the imagery in your post about your 15 year old dog that had cancer made me cry. I'm like Nonie, I'm just a fool for animals. Every time I have to euthanize a dog, cat or horse, I think for a while it isn't worth the pain to continue getting animals. But then I fall in love; and the enrichment, joy and companionship I receive from these animals is worth the world to me. As long as I am able, I will have animals!

MSNPA
07-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Brights post also brought tears to my eyes.

One thing I truly love about TOTV are all of the animal lovers. Be it cats, dogs, buffalo and even gators, so many of you display love and kindness towards all God's creatures. I really think how one treats animals tells what kind of person they are!

nONIE
07-17-2008, 02:32 PM
MSNPA,

Yes there are quite a lot of animal lovers in TV and thats what really concerns me about all the chemicals that are being sprayed on our TV lawns. Its a real possibility that my daughters dog did get cancer from the constant spraying. Very strange that the cancer started on her toes and then possibly went to the brain!

Its almost impossible to keep our pets off of our TV grass, so where do we take them to do their thing and get exercise???

Best Mom
07-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Hi Nonie,
My little pug Benson has been going to a vet down here and up north. After many tests etc. the vets concluded that there are too many chemicals and poisions in the Villages down here. Benson gets ear infections and respiratory problems. Up north he has acres to run with no poisions. He clears right up. All I can do is keep the poisons out of my yard down here. The worst are when you buy new landscaping. All the plants have been sprayed with a strong poison. I know one little black poodle died 2 days after her owner got new landscraping. My northern vet says Florida is hard on pets because many pesticides that are banned in NY are still used in Florida.
Every dog or animal lover is in pain to see their little pets suffer. My heart goes out to all who lose a pet, especially you Nonie.

nONIE
07-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Thankyou Mc for the information that you received from your Vet about Southern chemicals. I appreciate your input.

F16 1UB
07-18-2008, 11:36 PM
I came home recently and found a sign in my yard to keep off for 24 hours because it had been sprayed. I was away from the house for an hour. A neighbor told me that our dog was outside chasing the man that was spraying the yard.

ouma1938
07-20-2008, 12:58 PM
All these posts have helped us make a big decision. When we are able to move to TV we had planned on getting a CYV. We felt that although are cats are only inside cats if we had an enclosed yard we could let them out when we were outside and able to keep an eye on them. But now we are definitely goin to get either a designer or a ranch as they will never go out at all. Even if we didn't spray our yard I am so paranoid about my babies that I would be afraid that the wind might blow some of those poisonous sprays over into the yard. Crazy I know, but I can't help it. And I am now very relieved in our decision to go with a ranch or designer. Now we just have to sell this house. Thanks for all the wonderful information on TOTV. I couldn't live with it and all my TOTV friends.

pili
07-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Nonie,

I'm so sorry to hear about Ashlee. I know how painful the loss of a dear pet can be. We lost our baby Cassie four years ago. We are now blessed with a little boy by the name of Ralo. We got him at the shelter in Barrington when he was one year old and he's adorable. We are looking forward to our move next week and his making new friends.

While you're hurting now be comforted by all the good years and love you gave Ashlee. She'll always be in your heart if if she was going to suffer because she's in God's hands now. She'll always be looking over you.

Pili

Barefoot
07-20-2008, 05:33 PM
OK, I am really freaking out now :o about backing on a golf course in TV, with just a short white picket fence (standard for a courtyard villa view lot). We were assured by Villages Management that the sprays they use on the golf course aren't harmful to dogs. But this thread seems to indicate the opposite.

I'm in Canada for six months every summer, and pesticides have recently been banned in this province. I realize in Florida there are many more pests, termites, fire ants, etc., that have to be managed.

I guess I'm hoping someone will post something about the chemicals used to make me feel better. :dontknow:

samhass
07-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Bare, it would not surprise me that the lawn chemicals affect animals. I know it sounds crazy, but if an animal must be on a recently treated lawn, maybe it should have some booties.

Barefoot
07-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks Samhass, good thought about booties! You can buy them for dogs. Unfortunately convincing the dogs to leave them on is another matter. ;D

But I'm more worried about chemicals drifting over the 3 foot picket fence from the golf course. To keep the golf courses looking great, I'm sure they must be constantly spraying for weeds and ants.

bestmickey
07-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Barefoot, I wouldn't worry only about the dogs. If it was me, I'd make sure to keep my windows closed during spraying and for a couple hours afterwards. The sprayed chemicals can't be good for human lungs either.

Barefoot
07-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Best Mickey

I agree, IMHO spraying is just plain dangerous for dogs, cats or humans. Although I see people who work for the Pest Control Companies spraying without masks!

The golf courses don't notify people who have lots backing on the courses when they will be spraying. So the scary part is you don't know when to be careful. I've sometimes seen them at dawn and after dark, and I know to avoid the back yard and close all the windows. But I'm sure they spray lots of times that I'm not aware. Hmmmm, guess I could ask for a spray schedule. Don't know how successful that would be. :dontknow:

Doodlelynne
01-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Hi Everyone! I see this post is rather old, but I just joined the forum today. We still live in Western New York, but are considering TV. We used to treat our lawn up here until one of our dogs died of cancer. That was one of the saddest days of my life. The vet said that was probably the culprit and we never have sprayed since. One of my biggest concerns (other than huge wind storms), is all the chemicals used in Florida for the bugs and lawns. I'd honestly freek out at the bugs, but I believe it's probably a must and a lifestyle in Florida. Makes me wonder if I should just stay here and endure the snow. I guess I've got to decide which is worse! TV look so lovely though. It's really tempting.

SUNNYMARYANN
01-11-2009, 01:40 PM
I lived in Florida for ten years with a dog and we only used pet friendly lawn care products. I plan to move to TV as soon as possible and have two young Cavaliers. I would never expose my little buddies to anything harmful. I use Scotts best Weed and Feed and just keep them off the lawn for a day until its watered in well. We treat for termites annually and just play it by ear on those days like take them for a walk out of the sprayed area for a day. There are alternatives to the unsafe chemicals and a visit to any Lowe's or Home Depot garden center will be a big help to you to chose pet friendly lawn care products.

nONIE
01-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Are pet friendly lawn care products really pet friendly? Could long term "Pet Friendly" chemicals really be safe?

Guess Im just not as trusting in what they say as I used to be.
We have been lied to so much over the years for the sake of the almighty $$$$!