PDA

View Full Version : iPhone setting question

Ohiogirl
04-17-2015, 06:07 AM
I have an iPhone 6, husband has a 4S. First couple months, things were fine. Had email access for both our accounts set up on my phone, then added my email account to his phone and we started getting incoming calls and texts on both phones at the same time (i.e., someone would call him on his phone # and about 2 seconds after his phone started ringing, mine would ring also.

I also remember adding Messenger to computer somewhere in the same time frame (a prompt came up on the Macbook one time and I said yes).

So - thought I fixed it by removing my email account from his phone. I think it stopped the texts to me from appearing on his phone, but not the phone calls.

I have looked at Settings on the phone and can't figure anything out. Can anyone help? Can't attend the Apple workshops here as they conflict with our schedules.

memason
04-17-2015, 06:25 AM
I have an iPhone 6, husband has a 4S. First couple months, things were fine. Had email access for both our accounts set up on my phone, then added my email account to his phone and we started getting incoming calls and texts on both phones at the same time (i.e., someone would call him on his phone # and about 2 seconds after his phone started ringing, mine would ring also.

I also remember adding Messenger to computer somewhere in the same time frame (a prompt came up on the Macbook one time and I said yes).

So - thought I fixed it by removing my email account from his phone. I think it stopped the texts to me from appearing on his phone, but not the phone calls.

I have looked at Settings on the phone and can't figure anything out. Can anyone help? Can't attend the Apple workshops here as they conflict with our schedules.

Easy fix....

Settings>FaceTime>iPhone Cellular Calls>OFF

This should take care of your problem. Looking in FaceTime settings is not so obvious.

Papa
04-17-2015, 04:54 PM

I believe that this a "feature" of IOS 8. This should only happen, if you are both using the same "AppleID" on both phones.

Ohiogirl
04-18-2015, 11:51 AM
Thanks. Just changed the settings on both phones under FaceTime as suggested. Yes, we do share the same Apple ID.

Will keep you posted if this works.

Ohiogirl
04-24-2015, 06:29 AM
me mason's helpful suggestion worked - for the phone calls, not texts. We are still getting each other's texts. I tried some setting changes on my own, didn't help (although somehow I had to download a couple of apps back from the cloud that somehow disappeared from my home screen :).

How do we quit sharing texts?

FlamingoFlo
04-24-2015, 06:40 AM
Why not just get separate Apple id's? That would probably fix this.

memason
04-24-2015, 07:15 AM
me mason's helpful suggestion worked - for the phone calls, not texts. We are still getting each other's texts. I tried some setting changes on my own, didn't help (although somehow I had to download a couple of apps back from the cloud that somehow disappeared from my home screen :).

How do we quit sharing texts?

Another easy one....

Settings>>>Messages>>>Send & Receive. Uncheck the addresses you don't want to come to the iPhone. You'll need to do this on both devices to get the right phone number/emails only going goto those devices.

Enjoy!

memason
04-24-2015, 07:19 AM
Why not just get separate Apple id's? That would probably fix this.

Getting separate Apple ID's would create more problems than it would solve....Plus, if you both like the same apps, you'd have to buy them twice, with 2 different Apple ID's.

You can have the same Apple ID's and easily fix the problems the OP is experiencing...

Philip Winkler
04-24-2015, 07:47 AM
I go to the ATT store with issues like this.

jnieman
04-24-2015, 08:35 AM
I had similar issues when we first got our phones. I was able to look up youtube videos to help solve it.

Ohiogirl
04-25-2015, 07:06 AM
Thanks MeMason. My phone was set ok, just changed my husband's. Easy fixes to you, not so much for me.

As far as going to the Verizon store, not if I can help it! Besides, it's not golf-cart accessible :). We did go to the new iPhone user class, actually the 2nd one, which did help, at the Verizon store, and have been to one of the apple users meetings. I learn something every time, but do not want to major in computer/cell phone science!

Some people seem to be instinctive users, and some like to spend spare time figuring stuff out. Different strokes for different folks, just like anything else. I for one appreciate friendly advice for a quick fix. Thanks again!

YouNeverKnow
04-25-2015, 07:43 AM
Getting separate Apple ID's would create more problems than it would solve....Plus, if you both like the same apps, you'd have to buy them twice, with 2 different Apple ID's.

You can have the same Apple ID's and easily fix the problems the OP is experiencing...
All of the photos I take are also going onto my husbands phone and Ipad. Is there a setting that I can go to that will stop that from happening?

memason
04-25-2015, 08:41 AM
All of the photos I take are also going onto my husbands phone and Ipad. Is there a setting that I can go to that will stop that from happening?

This situation is caused by using Photo Stream. If you do not want to share your photos between all your iOS devices, you can simply turn off that feature.

Here's how:

Settings >>> Photos & Camera >>> My Photo Stream >>> Turn it off with the slide button

Enjoy!