PDA

View Full Version : Getting around in New York City

blueeagle65
07-22-2008, 12:55 AM
My wife decided we're going to go to a baseball game at the soon to be demolished Yankee Stadium next week. Anyone have any advise on getting around while we're there? Subway, bus, taxi ? Where to eat in mid town? Where NOT to go? Anything you think important would be welcome. Thanks :)

Villages Kahuna
07-22-2008, 01:12 AM
If you don't, it can become real expensive real fast. We went up for a wedding in January and stayed at a Marriott in the financial district. We flew in and out of La Guardia. The wedding was at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens and a couple of other associated events were in Tribeca. Of course, we visited a couple of midtown museums and went to the theatre on Broadway one night.

Total cab fares for four days...about $300!

Take the subway if you can. If it's good enough for Mayor Bloomberg, it ought to be good enough for everyone else. He's only worth $3-4 billion!

JohnM
07-22-2008, 01:16 AM
We usually stay around W. 56th and 7th and either walk or take a taxi to restaurants, Central Park and Broadway; if you are a bit more adventuresome, the subway will get you everywhere; as to restaurants you can find whatever suits you in Manhattan. If you like steak, Ruth's Chris had an awesome summer special last month (dinner for 2 - soup/salad, entree, dessert for $89); we had a lovely dinner at Havana Central if you like Cuban; or you can have the caviar omelet for breakfast at Norma's for $$$$(never tried it, interesting breakfast items, W. 57th & 7th ?); Manhattan is a tough restaurant market and restaurants come and go; we have found the concierge at the place where we stay to be an excellent resource; have fun! we are planning a similar trip for next month.

John

uujudy
07-22-2008, 01:37 AM
Blue, if you're staying in Manhattan, this site says that you can also take a ferry to the game.
http://gonyc.about.com/cs/attractions/p/yankee.htm

Sidney Lanier
07-22-2008, 02:43 AM
One of our absolute favorite places to eat in midtown is at the Carnegie Deli on the west side of Seventh Avenue around 55th-56th Street. You can have deli sandwiches the likes of which you will never see anywhere else! World-renown Carnegie Hall (saved from demolition by Isaac Stern and committee back in the '60s) is just up Seventh Avenue on the corner of 57th Street, and two blocks north of that is the southern end of Central Park. Half price theater tickets are available in Duffy Square for same day performance; Duffy Square is the north side of Times Square, around 48th Street or so. If you have time for a museum, but not a full day, visit the Frick Collection (a former Gilded Age mansion) on the corner of Fifth Avenue and 72nd Street, facing Central Park from the east side--small and doable in a couple of hours. The subways work fine and it's hard to get lost on them as you don't have to guess what station you're in when the train pulls in. (Buses can be confusing, and taxis are outrageously expensive.) Yankee Stadium is on the Jerome Avenue IRT line, 161st Street stop. Have a ball!

KathieI
07-22-2008, 02:56 AM
Blue, its been many years since I've lived in Manhattan so I can't advise on restaurants but I can give you a warning about Yankee Stadium area. Do not plan on public transportation to the stadium or even think about walking around there. My understanding is the neighborhood is very dangerous. I would definitely take a taxi there and back.

My last trip into Manhattan, I used the bus lines to get from point A to B. You can get passes also, I think for $10? not sure about that, but it allows you to transfer to other buses and is very convenient. I think there's an on line site for the bus lines routes, check it out. Definitely a bus tour through Manhattan will give you a great perspective on what is where. The Times Square area used to be very unsafe but they have cleaned up the area a lot and its very nice to see it.

My favorite restaurants are in little Italy. I have found that you can go by taxi down there and go into any restaurant and have a wonderful, authentic Italian meal.

I'd do a lot of research on the web cause NY to me is the most wonderful city in the world. I wouldn't want to live there again, but to visit, there is nothing better. You just need to be careful, always look over your shoulder.

zcaveman
07-22-2008, 02:56 AM
Just a hint - if you decide to take the subway, buy the return tokens at the same time you buy to go tokens. It will save you standing in line on the way back. I learned this when I went to a NY Met game at Shea.

Shirleevee
07-22-2008, 03:57 AM
Although retired, I thought the token was retired in 2003. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Shirleevee

KathieI
07-22-2008, 04:08 AM
Shirl, I really didn't know cause I've been gone from NYC since 1978, but I found this link that might be helpful:

http://www.ny.com/transportation/buses/

Shirleevee
07-22-2008, 04:16 AM
from the MTA website;

With the introduction of Automated Fare Collection, the traditional role of the station agent in booths collecting money, emptying turnstiles, dispensing and accounting for tokens has now changed dramatically (tokens were eliminated in May 2003) and customer service has become a greater part of their job. MetroCard Vending Machines (MVMs) and MetroCard Express Machines (MEMs) now provide custom service..

The Staten Island train is free unless you take it to the SI Ferry.....which I haven't done in quite a few years........somedays I feel old lol.

Shirleevee

blueeagle65
07-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks folks! First hand info is much better than what I could find from google. :bigthumbsup:

Sidney Lanier
07-22-2008, 06:03 PM
I agree with Kathie that the neighborhood around Yankee Stadium is not one where you want to spend time; however, using the subway to get there for a ball game, when literally thousands of other people will similarly be using the subway to get there, should not be an issue as long as you stay with the crowds and don't go wandering off before or after the game. If you can, please post on this site what you trip was like after you're back home--thanks!

Donna
07-22-2008, 06:10 PM
:agree:..My mouth is watering..Carnegie Deli is a treat all it's own, movie stars always go there, the food is out of this world!!

I also agree,your best bet, after you leave the stadium, and get back to where you are staying, take a cab..They get you there and back, with no hassle on public transportation..

It is better NOT to wander around.... Have a greaT TIME

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/baseball.gif (http://www.millan.net)....GO Yankees!!!!

MelZ
07-22-2008, 08:12 PM
NYC uses a Metrocard for public transportation.

Some NYC Rules and tips
Gold is not Gold if you buy it on the street (also applies to Rolex and Coach)
3 card monte is a game designed to seperate you from your money
Ride the subway but wait for the trains within ear shot and eye shot of the "token booth"

Best kosher deli is at the 2nd ave deli which is in the E.30's
Best Chinese go to China town- Wo Hop on Motts Street
Famous Ray's pizza is only famous for having a large # of locations
Dirty water hot dogs (under the umbrella) are eaten with mustard and onions
Best Italian is Puglia's in little Italy
Best Pizza is Johns in the Village

Enjoy your trip but travel smart

Melz currently in NYC

blueeagle65
07-22-2008, 10:04 PM
What about the Stage Deli?

Donna
07-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Stage Deli...another good one.. :bigthumbsup:

ConeyIsBabe
07-23-2008, 12:09 AM
All this talk of NYC is really making me nostalgic ::)

When I visited NYC in 2000, with 3 other ladies, we had lunch at the Russian Tea Room (around 57th) and it was very special and memorable !

Villages Kahuna
07-23-2008, 02:55 AM
After returning from our trip to a wedding in New York, we marveled at the cost of meals at the restaurants. We figured that we could get four dinners at local Villages eateries for what one cost in NYC. Having said that, both Mrs. Kahuna and I agreed that the meals and dining experience was worth it! They don't have chefs here in TV that come close to matching those in New York.

I second the recommendations for the Carnegie Deli. If you want to go a bit more upscale and treat yourself to a real experience, try the River Cafe under the Brooklyn Bridge in Brooklyn. A bit closer is Bouley in Tribeca. You'll come home well-fed, lighter in the wallet, but marveling at the value of such magnificently-prepared food.

Sidney Lanier
07-23-2008, 03:34 AM
Stage Deli is good, but in my opinion Carnegie Deli has it beat! They are, BTW, very close to each other, both on Seventh Avenue around 55th-56th Streets. The Russian Tea Room is literally next door to Carnegie Hall on West 57th Street near Seventh Avenue and has been through several incarnations--openings and closings. I believe it's currently open and as elegant as it always had been, though again IMHO it's just not the same as it had been several decades ago. (My age is showing....)

MelZ
07-23-2008, 01:58 PM
When it comes Deli sandwiches the Stage and Carnegie Deli's are famous to very large sandwiches, quantity not necessarily quality. They are on 7th ave about a block (NY for a City street) apart. Katz's on the lower east side is just as famous but has better deli meats.

My favorite Steakhouse is Sparks on the E. 44th St. It has great service, excellent aged steaks and the shrimp cocktail you will always remember.

Donna
07-23-2008, 02:00 PM
The infamous Spark's Steak House...Yes, the food is superb!

Rokinronda
07-23-2008, 02:02 PM
You got that right, Donna!!

Shirleevee
07-23-2008, 02:35 PM
An addition to Melz's cautions.

If a camcorder or camera on the street is boxed and shrink wrapped, you can bet there are magazines in the boxes.

Shirleevee

travelstiles
07-23-2008, 02:41 PM
My favorite restaurant in NYC:

http://www.patsys.com/ Broadway and 56th St.

Not a tourist attraction, family owned, a bit pricey but worth it. Over the years, just by chance when dining there we met Roger Daltry, Rosemary Clooney and several other celebs who go there to get away from the crowds and media. The walls are covered with signed photos of their famous patrons.
Ask to meet Sal, the chef - he's a real NY personality!

angela
07-23-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure I know where you are staying but if you are on the East side, there is a wonderful restaurant on 2nd Ave, between 63 and 64 called Portofino. It is reasonably priced and the food is wonderful. I would also recommend a Pizza Pasta restaurant called Patsy Pizza also on 2nd Ave. There are a few of them, one in the 40s another near 70. This is not the same as the Patsy on 57 mentioned earlier. These are not the usual tourist restaurants, and are not as pricey. A more expensive restaurant with excellent food would be a restaurant called Cellini on 54 between Madison and Park. Don't forget to ask for the complimentary biscotti cookies with coffee after dinner (They ususally do not need to be reminded, but just in case).
I would also go by subway to Yankee stadium, the subway is safe and there are so many people going to and from the stadium, safety in the Bronx should not be an issue. In spite of all reports otherwise, I lived in NYC for many years and it is one of the safest places in the US.

ouma1938
07-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Its been 7 years since I left NYC and all this talk of good restuarants has made me so nostalgic. Don't forget Katz's Deli on Houston. Its where they filmed that famous scene from WHERE HARRY MET SALLY. The fake Big O. And one of my favorites also is Docks, a terrific seafood restuarant on the corner of 40th and 3rd Ave. It was 2 blocks from our apartment and we spent a lot of time there. Have a blast.

blueeagle65
08-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Well, we survived our trip to NYC and lived to talk about it. We covered a lot of the area between Central Park and Ground Zero as well as Brooklyn on the night tour bus and went to the Bronx for a game at Yankee Stadium. We stayed at The Warwick on 54th across the street from the Museum of Modern Art. We dined at Mickey Mantle's and various deli's and breathed in several pounds of gunk and had our first subway rides.

Sure am glad to be back here in TV. :bigthumbsup:

This is for those of you that, for whatever reason, are homesick for the area.

http://http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g43/blueeagle65/ny032.jpg

jennysetssail
08-06-2008, 03:21 AM
Hello and thanks for posting the photo. It is good to see, although truth be told, Carnegie's is more of a tourist attraction in the league of Russian Tea Room (RIP) and Tavern on the Green. Most real New Yorkers probably only go there when their out of town friends are under the impression it is "the" place to be. An interesting side note that I bet you didn't know is that in the apartment above Carnegies's (yes, right there in those windows,) there was a triple homicide (again, RIP) of a young starlet and her friends by a disgruntled drug dealer demanding payment. Sad, but this is the part of New Yorks history that is notorious and chock full of scandal. I always thought a "Scandal" tour would hold some appeal to visitors tired of the Statue of Liberty, etc.... Because there is always some scandal, even if hidden below the surface. Makes me wonder.....where are the scandal sites in TV?

blueeagle65
08-06-2008, 11:40 AM
With regard to a Scandals Tour, our tour guide on the bus (a Joan Rivers kinda local gal) pointed out several points of gossip type interest and where some famous people live. "Courtney Love lives here when she isn't in jail", etc. She said she's never owned a car and can have almost anything delivered to her apartment 24/7.

bsliny
08-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Has anybody been to CARMINES ON 44TH street and Broadway
Very good food served family style :hot: :hot: :hot:

SteveFromNY
08-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Just a hint - if you decide to take the subway, buy the return tokens at the same time you buy to go tokens. It will save you standing in line on the way back. I learned this when I went to a NY Met game at Shea.

For the record, the only tokens left are in museums - they are no longer accepted at the turnstiles. There is a Metro Card now that you can put money on with a credit card, or buy at a store or "token booth".

The subway is definitely the easiest way around the city, and especially to get to a Yankee game. It's safe as long as you don't wear Boston Red Sox gear ;D There will be a rush hour crowd going up to the game and a post game crowd going back, so you won't be alone on a subway platform.

The ferry is a very civilized way to go, but has one large drawback in my mind. It leaves 1/2 hour after the last out for the return trip. So if the game is a blow-out, or it goes 15 innings until 1 AM, you're pretty much stuck there.

Driving is possible, but expect to sit for quite some time getting out especially. Getting there can be difficult too. I've done it quite a few times though as I live in Staten Island and the trip back from the Bronx to SI via public transportation can take upwards of 3 hours!

There are many, many restaurant's there. If you're going to a play while in town, I'd recommend 2 really neat places - Carmine's for family style Italian food (47th St) or Frankie & Johnny's on either 8th or 9th around 49th st. (don't remember). I think F&J's has been there since the 1950's, and you'll get the world's best chopped salad (if you like that), a great steak, a steep check (remember, it's Manhattan) and a very liberal dose of NY attitude from the wait staff. Carmine's is lower priced, has excellent Italian, huge portions (share), and a huge crowd (so expect to wait).

Have a great time!

SteveFromNY
08-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Has anybody been to CARMINES ON 44TH street and Broadway
Very good food served family style :hot: :hot: :hot:

I posted before I finished reading..... :redface:

Blondie
08-06-2008, 03:20 PM
What a great place... NY... I also love to eat in Little Italy as well as many other places. One of my favorite things to do each time I return is to go to Canal Street to find the "great bargains" they have to offer there.

jojo
08-07-2008, 01:51 AM
If you are going to use the subway in NYC, get on the website hopstop.com. You can enter your start and stop location and tell it whether you want to walk more or make transfers. I use the site a lot as I'm working in the city twice a month. I frequently stay in the Times Square area on 8th Ave. and love to go to the small bistros in Hells Kitchen - especially on Ninth Ave. Just read the menus on the street. My problem now is that I have a longer commute from TV but it will be worth it I am sure.