PDA

View Full Version : Less than 7 days we leave for Barcelona and our Med cruise

MelZ
07-23-2008, 02:16 PM
We are flying to Barcelona, staying there at the Continental Hotel and then onto a Celebrity Cruise for more of Spain, Casablanca, Portugal and Trans Atlantic back to the USA.

Other than trying to figure how to take some clothes and Cameras with the new airline restrictions I am excited. I expect to fill up a bunch of SD cards with pictures and maybe make some donations to the local economy.

And yes we are having lunch at Ricks Cafe American in Casablanca. A vacation well earned.

Any tips or comments are appreciated

Shirleevee
07-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Have a wonderful trip!

Shirleevee

dadspet
07-23-2008, 04:45 PM
You'll love Barcelona, Hope your staying there a few days, its a great city with lots to see and Las Rombus is a wonderful colorful street. Try the Pincher (Trays of little snack with tooth picks passed around on trays - you pick what looks good and keep the tooth pick to pay ) at a local Cafe/wine bars. Watch the price of the Sangria wine on Las Rombus. It looks good but wow $$. All Europe for that matter is WOW $$ > the dollar is a disaster.

Enjoy and have a great time

784caroline
07-26-2008, 09:51 PM
MelZ
We are taking the Celebrity Summit on Nov 1st from Barcelona to Venice. It would be great to get some frist hand tips from someone who was just there. Make sure you post a report on your return.
Best tip I can provide "pack light"....just joking for we wil be in the same "boat" as you regarding the new airline rules but fortunatley you are allowed 2 bags on international flights but still subject to size and weight rules!

chelsea24
07-27-2008, 03:35 PM
I agree, you'll love Barcelona. We took the Med. Cruise out of there, but a different route. You'll have a wonderful, wonderful time. Don't forget to go to Las Rambles.
Barcelona really wakes up around 10pm. Have a great time. :bigthumbsup:

l2ridehd
07-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Lots of great things to see there, the food is excellent, and cost is reasonable by Europe standards. Go to Montserrat, the Picasso museum, see the Gaudi house, Sagrada Familia, the last great cathedral being built in the world, go North by train to Figueres to see the Salvador Dali museum. Go to virtualtourist.com for restarant recommendations.

njgranny
07-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Enjoy! Barcelona is a great city!

Donna
07-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Melz..Have a great time, safe trip! :bigthumbsup:

MelZ
08-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Flying to Barcelona is 36 days, the excitement level is starting to build

pili
08-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Have a wonderful time. Barcelona is a beautiful city with lots to see. The food is wonderful. Beware of pick pockets in the Ramblas (long avenue that runs to the ocean and is full of cafes). Just take the usual precautions (don't carry anything in back pocket and keep you camara and valuables close). Barcelona and Venice are two of my favorite cities. I find Venice very romantic. It's great getting lost in the alleys. If you get a chance to do the Duomo tour...do it. You will need reservations (you can go online) to avoid the crowds. Go to Monserrat in Barcelona if you get a chance and don't forget Gaudi's cathedral (never finished) The Sagrada Familia.

Have a wonderful time and bon voyage!!!

Pili :)

Skip
08-05-2008, 08:49 AM
MelZ:

Join "Cruise Critic" online and you'll make lots of friends on the ship real fast plus learn from more experienced travelers. Many members arrange private tours for small groups that are way cheaper than the cruise line's pricey shore excursions.

"Trip Advisor" is also a very helpful website. They rate hotels, tell about tours, problem areas (like pick-pockets), even how to get euros with no exchange fees at wholesale rate not retail rate. I use then all the time with much success.

Both sites are free.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/
http://www.tripadvisor.com/

I'll be in Barcelona again in May 2009. When you come back from Las Ramblas, you will ask yourself: "Where did all those people come from - and where were they going?"

What ship?

Skip

MelZ
08-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Skip:

Thanks I have been a member of Cruise Critic for years and also use Trip Advisor and Virtual Traveler for pre planning the trip.

My flight leaves for Barcelona isn 30 days, we are staying on the Rambla so my years of sleeping near an elevated train should help.

NYBlondie
08-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Melz

We leave in 3 weeks, I'm so excited

Hyacinth Bucket
08-17-2008, 01:10 AM
Have a wonderful trip. We still haven't made it to Spain. Your cruise sounds wonderful.

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip. Those are great websites to find out more about the places you are visiting.

HB

Hyacinth Bucket
08-17-2008, 01:13 AM
pili - we spent 4 days in Venice. Never made it to the Duomo tour.

Like you we just enjoyed getting lost in all the back alleys and discovering new (to us) parts of Venice.

Hope we get back there soon, and do the Duomo tour.

HB

Skip
08-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Don't be surprised if Celebrity Cruise Lines pulls Malaga, Spain from your itinerary. There's been some problems there recently directed at the tourist areas. Enjoy Seville if your ship stops in Cadiz.

Skip

784caroline
08-18-2008, 08:07 PM
MelZ
Looking forward to the pictures for we will be following you a week or so later.

MelZ
08-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Skip:

We are going to Cadiz, so we will visit Seville. If they pull Malaga I hope they come up with a good alternative. Port I can't live without is Casablanca Morroco, gotta go to Ricks!!!

Caroline

Since i'm a digital Photgrapher you can expect a few hundred pictures shortly after we return.

18 days and counting till we leave

MelZ
08-30-2008, 11:51 AM
7 days and counting

Donna
08-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Mel..

Have a safe trip, see you in Hadley! :bigthumbsup:

Say hello to P. for me...

784caroline
08-30-2008, 01:18 PM
MelZ
WE just paid our final payment for our Nov 1 cruise so w are just over 60 days and counting down before we leave.

We would be very interetsed in hearing first hand experience in any "on your own" site seeing experiences in the various ports of calls.

Have a safe trip! When do you return to TV?

MelZ
08-31-2008, 09:47 PM
Donna:

Thanks

784 Caroline

I will be happy to give you an update after we get back. We will be up North until early Dec. and should be back in TV for Xmas.

784caroline
09-01-2008, 07:22 PM
MelZ
We should also be back in TV the first week of Decmeber..good to compare notes!