PDA

View Full Version : pickleball etiquette

gatortom
05-09-2015, 10:38 AM
I'm new. Is there specific pickleball etiquette in writing for The Villages?

kansasr
05-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Don't know of anything in writing. Check out http://pickleballcommunity.com which is the local community website. Pickleball 101 will probably be your best bet for how things are done in The Villages.

As a rule, beginners should avoid the open sessions from sunrise to 10 am. Watch the schedule published for each rec center to check the 10am-noon sessions, as many of them are specified to skill level, such as advanced beginner open (mixed) or intermediate men. Watch for other times in the schedules as times are often reserved for specific social groups.

Other than that, if going to an open session, get your place in line and head out to the next available court with a group of 4. If there are lines, play a game to 11 and then take your place to the back of the line.

And don't hesitate to ask questions of other who are there and get to know the people with you in line. You'll be surprised how friend and helpful most people are!

Bogie Shooter
05-09-2015, 12:13 PM
You can probably learn here: Look under Recreation Department.
Village Community Development Districts (http://www.districtgov.org/PdfView/PdfView.aspx?path=%27/PdfUpload/Beginner%20pickleball%204.2015.pdf%27&ql=standard)

CFrance
05-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Sign up for pickleball 101, and they will tell you the rules and etiquette. Otherwise, the open play times are listed as to level of play: beginners, adv. beginners, itermediate, advanced. (Ex: Thursday at Chula Vista, Beginners Play) Go through a Thursday rec magazine and look at each rec center to find the beginners open play times. Generally, don't show up to play with a named group (Ex: Pickleball Pals, Bob's Bad Girls, etc.) as they are groups that were formed privately, and they are usually above the beginners level of play.

Topspinmo
05-16-2015, 05:32 PM
Really need more information other than I'm new here? Have you played pickleball before?
Quessing here if you haven't you really need to go to free village pickle ball classes as suggested 101' then at least 102. They will answer all your questions and give you general rules and technique to progress up rapidly and smoothly. All in all fine bunch of pickler's, but there are few less diserables out there. If you run into one just ignore them with smile and play on.

wesmouch
08-01-2015, 05:06 PM
I am trying to find courts where advanced pickleball players play (4.0 +). Also times would be helpful. Many thanks

CFrance
08-01-2015, 05:14 PM
I am trying to find courts where advanced pickleball players play (4.0 +). Also times would be helpful. Many thanks
You will have better luck if you start a new thread on this subject rather than tagging on to this one, which is about a different subject.

Also, go through the rec magazine to see when & where advanced players play. It is put out every Thursday at all the rec centers and in the Daily Sun, and online.

CWGUY
08-01-2015, 05:57 PM

:undecided: IMHO - I think people who think they are advanced players... just play with themselves. :bigbow:

Gerald
08-01-2015, 06:07 PM
I used a large jar of pickles last time I played. It was a mess. It took hours to clean the court up.

CFrance
08-01-2015, 06:17 PM
:undecided: IMHO - I think people who think they are advanced players... just play with themselves. :bigbow:
Could be! But I got an email from the Pickleball Community this past week saying they are forming a league of 4.5+ players (which would definitely not include moi...) You must be rated 4.5 or higher in TV's rating system; you can't just claim you are 4.5.

Topspinmo
08-02-2015, 10:01 PM

Just go play open from 8 to 10 am every morning except Sunday at any red center courts. If you think your better than that show up at open Saddlebrook or Miona. Saddlebrook let you know if your good enough to play with them.

Lovey2
08-03-2015, 06:29 AM

Lovey2
08-04-2015, 08:02 AM
Wanted to check before I misspoke...there is no "as a rule" that beginners can't play before 10 AM. Any advanced players that want a specific time slot has to apply and have it scheduled. While it's true that many "better" players like to play in the mornings, the courts are OPEN unless otherwise noted. You will run in to people that will play with you, and some that would prefer not to, but you can still go and get in line and play and learn. Those that are too advanced for this play have found specific courts where their rating of players play, and they may have to travel to do so, but that is their choice. Meanwhile, they cannot prohibit less talented players from the courts they choose to play at.

tallmanf
08-15-2015, 06:23 AM
Wow what happened to good old fun. Sounds like trying to play pickleball is a hassle

tallmanf
08-15-2015, 06:26 AM
here here way to go

kansasr
08-15-2015, 12:32 PM
Wanted to check before I misspoke...there is no "as a rule" that beginners can't play before 10 AM. Any advanced players that want a specific time slot has to apply and have it scheduled. While it's true that many "better" players like to play in the mornings, the courts are OPEN unless otherwise noted. You will run in to people that will play with you, and some that would prefer not to, but you can still go and get in line and play and learn. Those that are too advanced for this play have found specific courts where their rating of players play, and they may have to travel to do so, but that is their choice. Meanwhile, they cannot prohibit less talented players from the courts they choose to play at.

From the recreation department on the beginner pickleball program: "At all levels of instruction we recommend students practice what they have learned for two weeks before they progress to the next class level. While you are in the Beginner Program, practice is very important to help you master your new skills. The Beginner Program Schedule shows the times the courts are set aside for students so they can feel comfortable developing their game with players at a similar level. Open Play at courts from 7-10am throughout The Villages is NOT recommended for students. (Emphasis by the Rec Dept).

Given that this thread is about pickeleball "etiquette" I would say this is sage advice.

Topspinmo
08-18-2015, 07:16 PM

/////

Lovey2
08-19-2015, 07:00 AM
"students", not beginners. Maybe we are looking at the term "beginner" in different lights. I am meaning someone after the offered classes. I still consider myself a (kinda) beginner, although I have been playing a while. I am not rated, nor do I care to be, have not taken any "clinics", but enjoy playing. Several times, players at courts declined to play with my friends and I, or made a lot of faces and comments because we were there. My comment about moving on was from experience. I know better rated players that have moved on to different courts to seek players at their level.

outlaw
08-19-2015, 07:07 AM
Wow what happened to good old fun. Sounds like trying to play pickleball is a hassle

Lot's of standing in line...

Topspinmo
08-19-2015, 12:33 PM
Lot's of standing in line...

Only during snowbird season.

Topspinmo
08-19-2015, 12:46 PM
"students", not beginners. Maybe we are looking at the term "beginner" in different lights. I am meaning someone after the offered classes. I still consider myself a (kinda) beginner, although I have been playing a while. I am not rated, nor do I care to be, have not taken any "clinics", but enjoy playing. Several times, players at courts declined to play with my friends and I, or made a lot of faces and comments because we were there. My comment about moving on was from experience. I know better rated players that have moved on to different courts to seek players at their level.

I think so, IMO your not beginner! You know how to keep score, where to stand, and probably can hit the ball back and forth. IMO that would be immediate or avanced beginner which IMO again good for open play at majority Rec. centers
The unwritten rule Saddlebrook and Minoa open are 4.5 and 5.0 clicks

Lovey2
08-19-2015, 06:36 PM
I think so, IMO your not beginner! You know how to keep score, where to stand, and probably can hit the ball back and forth. IMO that would be immediate or avanced beginner which IMO again good for open play at majority Rec. centers
The unwritten rule Saddlebrook and Minoa open are 4.5 and 5.0 clicks

Well, then. I'm better than I thought!! :) That makes me happy. And, yes, I did hear about the "click thing" at certain places. Who I'm speaking of found a nice group of non-clickies to play with. I guess I'm just sensitive to people that wanna come play and are ashamed of making a fool of themselves or too intimidated to play. I really do enjoy the game, and we have a lot of laughs. I'm just not very competitive, I guess. I always say I'm rated a strong .0005. Maybe by now, I'm a 1.5!!

Topspinmo
08-20-2015, 12:12 PM
Don't sell yourself short:duck:. IMO 75 % have the same outlook as you and me, just like to play and have fun. Few at Saddlebrook is the only place I heard of were they get nasty.

Lovey2
08-21-2015, 05:35 PM
Don't sell yourself short:duck:. IMO 75 % have the same outlook as you and me, just like to play and have fun. Few at Saddlebrook is the only place I heard of were they get nasty.

Grazie! That's my objective...fun, laughs and maybe even some (shudder) exercise!! Happy Day to you....