PDA

View Full Version : Netherlands and France

Best Mom
07-29-2008, 06:05 PM
My daughter is going to be working in the Netherlands and France for her job. I think she will be there around 3 months.
I only know what I have read in books and would love some first hand accounts from people who have been there.
Thanks

lady Jane
07-29-2008, 10:30 PM
I spent a week in Paris a while ago and contrary to what others told be before I left I found the Parisians to be very helpful and friendly. Paris is beautiful, especially at night, the food is wonderful but you must go to the local bistros to experience the real culinary delights.

JohnN
07-30-2008, 12:48 AM
I spent 6 weeks in The Netherlands during the 1990's on business, but a lot of it was pleasure too. Some of the folks I worked with there also traveled to the US and worked here with me on projects.

I found Holland to be incredibly interesting, the history is remarkable. I visited castles, the beach, and many homes. Interesting observations:

1) They leave their front windows to their homes open to view and enjoy showing off their collectibles that way
2) All restaurant meals are fine dining, no quickie stuff - though they do have McDonalds which I used as a landmark as I continually got lost - can't read Dutch signs!
3) They love to debate and argue in a friendly manner, any topic. Take a contrarian view and go get 'em
4) They are known for being thrifty (cheap LOLOL) and it's a well earned reputation.
5) They think Budweiser is an imported beer, and Heinekin is domestic trash beer.
6) Most speak multiple languages
7) The red light district was amazing (I observed only LOL)
8) Centrums are wild to drive through, more than The Villages!

I'd love to go back.

Skip
08-05-2008, 09:19 AM
France is a great country. The attitude towards Americans has improved greatly over the last 20 years. Like any big city, Parisians can be a little abrupt at times.

Here are a few tips that will insure a pleasant experience:
Learn some French (especially correct pronunciation).
Greet every shop keeper when you enter.
Politeness in conversation is of prime importance.
It will only take 2 seconds for them to realize you don't speak French, then they will switch to English for you. (Continue in French if you can.)
Don't act like an American.
Dress like a European.

The train system in Europe is phenomenal (fast, comfortable and reasonably priced). Be prepared for expensive living however. I'd say 1.5 to 2 times prices here in the US. The euro is very strong now. Gasoline was US$8.50/US Gallon BEFORE this latest jump in fuel prices. Must be $10/Gallon now! VAT is now 22.5% on meals (already in the menu price). Tip is included in the menu price if "Service Compris" is printed on the menu. Leave an extra euro for good service. Make sure her credit card company knows she will be in Europe all that time. May want to look into European health insurance or a rider on her US healthcare policy. Bank of America and BNP Paribas banks have an agreement so that using those ATMs are at NO EXTRA CHARGE. If she will be in mostly northern France, make sure she visits Rouen, Honfleur and Mont St. Michel. My favorite city is Nice.

What a great opportunity. I hope you visit her often.

Skip

Best Mom
08-09-2008, 02:12 AM
Thanks to all 3 of you. I am going over to visit!! After reading your posts, I can't wait. :bigthumbsup:

Shirleevee
08-09-2008, 03:46 AM
Our youngest son lived in Paris for approx. a year. He loved it and has returned several times. He found the people to be very friendly and extremely nice.

Shirleevee