PDA

View Full Version : Retired detective gets to bottom of Yamaha golf cart clutch problem

Bosoxfan
06-01-2015, 04:23 PM
In an online news source yesterday.

In the article it was stated that the detective had to pay $225 for a TEAM clutch. I also had to go this route with my 2013 Yamaha EFI that I purchased from C & C in Ocala. This was after C & C replaced the original clutch with one that was the same that came with the cart.They also put a "better" belt on the new clutch and this was supposed to solve the problem but it didn't.Not until I paid them for the TEAM clutch did my problem get resolved.
I am also curious if this is only happening with C& C carts or is the problem also with The Villages cart . I know a few folks that told me the Villages has replaced their clutch & belt at no cost to them.I believe this was done but I don't believe the Villages has installed a TEAM clutch in these carts.
Yamaha will not back the warranty because of the 10 inch wheels & high speed gears installed aftermarket in these carts.I tried everything to get them to back it, or have C & C back it to no avail. I went to the Crimes against seniors, talked to the attorney general's office & the better business bureau all to no avail.$225 didn't put me in the poor farm but I sure felt like someone beside me should have paid.

Bay Kid
06-02-2015, 06:03 AM
My 2012 1/2 has had 3 belts in 2 years. They, TV carts, say it is fine. I think it still isn't right on a slow takeoff.

tuccillo
06-02-2015, 06:48 AM
My cart from C & C has an "issue" with the clutch - sort of a "clunk" and a little jerk right after startup. C & C told me this is what they all do and replacing the Yamaha clutch with the better clutch will result in smoother startups. Besides the jerk, it runs fine and it doesn't bother me enough to pay for a new clutch. My wife hadn't noticed it. I have been in Yamaha carts from the Villages Cart Store and they do the same thing. I have been in a cart from C & C with the new clutch and it is very smooth from startup. I should say that I consider this a minor problem. The cart has nearly 4k miles on it and has performed fine since the day we got it.

http://www.**************.com/retired-detective-gets-to-bottom-of-golf-cart-clutch-problem

This is a link to a story done in an online news source yesterday.

In the article it was stated that the detective had to pay $225 for a TEAM clutch. I also had to go this route with my 2013 Yamaha EFI that I purchased from C & C in Ocala. This was after C & C replaced the original clutch with one that was the same that came with the cart.They also put a "better" belt on the new clutch and this was supposed to solve the problem but it didn't.Not until I paid them for the TEAM clutch did my problem get resolved.
I am also curious if this is only happening with C& C carts or is the problem also with The Villages cart . I know a few folks that told me the Villages has replaced their clutch & belt at no cost to them.I believe this was done but I don't believe the Villages has installed a TEAM clutch in these carts.
Yamaha will not back the warranty because of the 10 inch wheels & high speed gears installed aftermarket in these carts.I tried everything to get them to back it, or have C & C back it to no avail. I went to the Crimes against seniors, talked to the attorney general's office & the better business bureau all to no avail.$225 didn't put me in the poor farm but I sure felt like someone beside me should have paid.

Bosoxfan
06-02-2015, 07:46 AM
My 2012 1/2 has had 3 belts in 2 years. They, TV carts, say it is fine. I think it still isn't right on a slow takeoff.

Let them know you'd like a Team Clutch. That will solve the problem

jnieman
06-02-2015, 08:13 AM
[QUOTE=Bosoxfan;1068576]http://www.**************.com/retired-detective-gets-to-bottom-of-golf-cart-clutch-problem

Yamaha will not back the warranty because of the 10 inch wheels & high speed gears installed aftermarket in these carts.I tried everything to get them to back it, or have C & C back it to no avail. I went to the Crimes against seniors, talked to the attorney general's office & the better business bureau all to no avail.$225 didn't put me in the poor farm but I sure felt like someone beside me should have paid.[/QUOTE

The Villages golf cart replaced ours once. The mechanic got on the phone and gave us a talking to about turning the screw to get ours to go faster. Said they would fix it one time only. After that they would charge us $1500 to fix it again if we speeded the cart back up. He then adjusted our speed back down to 18 mph on a flat surface, floored. Could hardly get up a hill after that so hubby adjusted it back up to 22, floored which gets us going about 19-20 most of the time. Since we are now out of warranty we will just take our chances. It's been about a year and so far so good.

villages07
06-02-2015, 08:15 AM
I am still trying to understand this issue as I am in the market for a new(er) gas Yamaha cart.

I stopped in at LSL Villages golf cart dealer yesterday... they say it is a carts and clubs issue, not a problem they had/have...though I did get an inkling that the earlier Villages EFI carts in 2012.5 did have a clutch issue.

They now offer a nice remanufactured 2013 EFI cart at a decent price...but, I'm still not sure/convinced that the clutch problem was corrected.

And then, as Frank stated in another thread, there is a change in 2015 with the braking system and the axle.

Still deciding between the 2015 new and 2013 reman (about a $2,500 difference).

Looking forward to others' opinions and experiences with these products.

tuccillo
06-02-2015, 08:47 AM
What issues were you having?

[QUOTE=Bosoxfan;1068576]http://www.**************.com/retired-detective-gets-to-bottom-of-golf-cart-clutch-problem

Yamaha will not back the warranty because of the 10 inch wheels & high speed gears installed aftermarket in these carts.I tried everything to get them to back it, or have C & C back it to no avail. I went to the Crimes against seniors, talked to the attorney general's office & the better business bureau all to no avail.$225 didn't put me in the poor farm but I sure felt like someone beside me should have paid.[/QUOTE

The Villages golf cart replaced ours once. The mechanic got on the phone and gave us a talking to about turning the screw to get ours to go faster. Said they would fix it one time only. After that they would charge us $1500 to fix it again if we speeded the cart back up. He then adjusted our speed back down to 18 mph on a flat surface, floored. Could hardly get up a hill after that so hubby adjusted it back up to 22, floored which gets us going about 19-20 most of the time. Since we are now out of warranty we will just take our chances. It's been about a year and so far so good.

jnieman
06-02-2015, 09:48 AM
What issues were you having?

[quote=jnieman;1068921]

Jerking when we put on the gas for a couple of weeks then all of a sudden the cart would go 30-35 mph as if the governor was no longer on the cart at all. The repairman said the rear end went out.

JoMar
06-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Which are more reasons you see more electric carts running around every day. They will never sell more than gas carts but they are more prevalent. I find electric perfectly suited to The Villages and neighbor friendly and really golf friendly.

steveblood19
06-02-2015, 07:01 PM
[quote=tuccillo;1068943]What issues were you having?

Jerking when we put on the gas for a couple of weeks then all of a sudden the cart would go 30-35 mph as if the governor was no longer on the cart at all. The repairman said the rear end went out.

The rear end did not go out. The Governor shaft has gone bad and to get the governor to work again it needs replaced.

Also don't let them tell you the internal brakes are bad- non have worn out yet.

steveblood19
06-02-2015, 07:06 PM
The clutch issue is that the clutches are not synced together, one grabs and one slips, these issue is enhanced by bigger tires and high speed gears. Back date the cart to the team clutch, or up grade the belt AND the secondary spring and that will cure the issue. No, not covered under warranty.

Doing one or the other as far as the belt and spring and the repair will be short lived.

HiHoSteveO
06-03-2015, 01:28 PM
I'd like to step in here and clear up some confusion. I'm going to call this my very very educated opinion, as I don't need the powers that be around here having their attorneys send me letters.
We recondition hundreds of Yamaha golf carts per year. Currently 2012 and newer Yamaha Gas Cars. I'm going to call "Yamaha"as the manufacturer and the "dealer" as any dealer that might sell Yamaha Golf Carts.

In 2012 1/2 Yamaha came out with EFI carts. At that point all of their golf carts , whether they are EFI , or carbureted came with a new clutch set. That's a drive clutch and a driven clutch. These were not manufactured by Team any longer, they are referred to as FBT clutch, even though the entire rear end was manufactured by Team. The dealers don't know why Yamaha switched , none of them were in the room at the time. Everyone's best guess is that the new clutch sets were cheaper. What the manufacturer did not take into account at the time was the performance of the FBT clutch when high-speed gears were added along with 10 inch tires. Unfortunately , many of you are frustrated and want to go after the manufacturer, I would strongly suggest not wasting your time and money, as they can hide behind their stated warranty in regard to "modifications".

Now, what we must understand is that the manufacturer sells over 40,000 golf carts per year in America. And their golf carts perform fine at 14 mph as they were designed to work on golf courses. They have The ability to put a more expensive clutch in their carts , but evidently it does not make sense to them to spend that money on 40,000 carts for a few thousand that are used in the manner in which we use them in the villages .

In Florida the State Statute in regard to speed of a golf cart is no more than 20mph on a level surface. To that end, prudent dealers install a higher speed gear into every golf carts rear end. This enables the car to do 19.9 without destroying the input shaft, and then the entire engine. The 10 inch tires give the cart a much nicer ride , and handling. Though 10 inch tires do give you 2 mph more speed , that is not the reason they are installed on golf carts in the villages. Dealers turn the carts down to 19.9 miles an hour after adding the 10 inch tires. This gives your cart a much lower RPM , it runs cooler , burns less gas, and is quieter. It's usually the end user that turns the carts up to travel faster than the state law, but that's a whole other conversation.

The good news !! Though the manufacturer has chosen not to remedy the problem and help dealers in the villages, there is a cheap and easy fix to the "Clutch slip" issue. As it turns out it is a calibration issue with the FBT clutch. The fix is a different drive belt and different spring in the driven clutch. We install this on every 2012 1/2 and newer car before it leaves our showroom.
For you do it yourselfers google Gboosttechnology Formerly Earlandson Technologies. The owner Glenn is "The Man" when it comes to clutching issues and has been doing just that for decades. The drive belt part number is DBYAJ57H and is $54.95 , and the spring part number is DRYA13 "white" and costs $24.95 .If you don't replace the spring also , fix won't work. If you do decide to do it yourself be warned you need a special clutch tool and press to install the spring. If you are not a do it yourselfer, all dealers in this area have accounts with this company and should have these parts in stock. If you are reading this and you own one of our carts, please call us as the fix is always free.

More good news ! Though you might be extremely frustrated right now , my best advice would be to let it go. It's not the dealers fault, and the manufacturer is doing way better than the competition when it comes to frustration factor for the dealers. We are an independent golf cart dealer and can sell any golf cart brand we choose. When it comes to gas golf carts , it is our opinion , for several reasons , that Yamaha gas golf carts are "the best golf cart for the villages" .

Regards,
Sal Granata
Village Discount Golf Car

Ps . Please excuse punctuation and capitalization as I am speaking into my iPhone..

Thank You Village Discount Golf Cars for your input. Your explanation and solution is most welcome and I hope that it truly is "The Fix"
Some on this forum have been complaining about this for a long time but it has subsided lately. I'm not yet having that problem but I'm told that I will in the future. I've copied your text into a file and saved for future reference.

Wouldn't you think that Yamaha would treat their top two dealers in the country better?
(perhaps in the form of a recall to those customers here experiencing problems)
As I understand, #1=The Villages Golf Carts (has 3 locations) and #2=Carts and Clubs.