PDA

View Full Version : Grandmother's cooking

efrahin
08-02-2008, 10:24 PM
I was watching my wife teaching one of our grandaughters how to make ham and chicken croquets (a cuban specialty) and was wondering how today children will remember their "grandmother's cooking" when today's a lot of grandmothers so proudly describe their cooking as: "I dont cook, I order"

Shirleevee
08-03-2008, 03:30 AM
Personally, I love to cook........have two sons who are French trained chefs. My grands love my cooking......enough said...I no longer have the time and or energy to cook as I used to. Do I love to eat out? You better believe it! Do I cook? Yes, sometimes. Hopefully all will remember when Mom/Grandma fed them.

Shirleevee

nONIE
08-03-2008, 03:38 AM
Efrahin,

My sweet grandkids cant ever miss what they never had! It is a sad commentary on the cookie baking grandmas' of the past.

But I think that more important then that is the love and positive guidance you can offer your grandchildren.

sandybill2
08-03-2008, 03:48 AM
Have been making Christmas cookies and candy with my granddaughter since she was around 3--(she is now 13). She was upset about our moving to the Villages and one of the reasons was "what about our Christmas baking?" Have been in the Villages for a year now--went back to Va for Christmas and made sure that I had enough time there so that we could continue our tradition. Would always get her to help me cook whenever she was with us---lots of wonderful memories for me and I hope for her too.

chelsea24
08-03-2008, 04:09 AM
Efrahin,

My sweet grandkids cant ever miss what they never had! It is a sad commentary on the cookie baking grandmas' of the past.

But I think that more important then that is the love and positive guidance you can offer your grandchildren.

:bigthumbsup: I'm with you Nonie! If I ever have any grandkids, I'll teach them the best things to look for on a menu! LOLOLOL :joke:

I had a grandma that was the best cook and baker in the world. And both of my parents were wonderful cooks and bakers also. I guess I was born without that gene. But, boy, do I miss their cooking!

Blondie
08-03-2008, 01:54 PM
I am on the same page with Nonie as well :) Cooking has never been my thing--the
family joke was that my husband used to hide my gifts in the oven, cuz I would never find them there ??? I love and appreciate good cooking, but we all different, and from my mother 2 me 2 my daughter 2 my granddaughter---that apple went straight down and isn't used to make pie. ;D

md blondie

njgranny
08-27-2008, 09:11 PM
I don't think my grandkids will have fond memories of my cooking either. ha, ha.

I do bake Christmas cookies every year with two of them whose mom doesn't bake.

What they will remember is my "wonderful take-out" and/or Mcdonald's Kid meals, and, of course the wonderful restaurant meals. :) :) :)

graciegirl
08-30-2008, 09:50 AM
I cook. I cook simply and old fashioned. I don't hate to cook because I cook fast. At least I don't spend tons of time on it. I really like to eat my own cooking more than restaurant cooking most of the time. I can cook complicated things but find most people enjoy simpler things; a good roast and vegetables, mashed potatoes, chicken and noodles and cherry pie. I have been doing it for so long, it isn't an effort like when I was younger. Of course there aren't as many potatoes to peel as when we had the kids bringing someone for dinner almost every night.

Karen88
08-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Count me among the "cooks when I have to's"!! My present and future daughter-in-laws will never hear any negative comparisons of their cooking to their mother-in-law's for sure, although we lived in New Orleans for awhile and I CAN make a mean red beans n' rice!! ;D

The many restaurants in TV are a big draw for me!! Karen